Tribe for people living in small houses? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 11-10-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought that I read a thread at one point about living in small spaces. Can't fine it. Can some one point me to it?

Thanks,

Shane - Homeschooling mom to three boys (12, 1-, 8) and living the open life with my husband.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 PM

I can't point you to it, but if you quantify what you mean by small, we could always start another one!

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#3 of 41 Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 PM

I'd be in on this. With a new baby two adults, 2 german shepards and two cats this house is feeling pretty small. I think it is all DD's stuff. We're moving next year but for now we can't help but feel like we have no extra space.
#4 of 41 Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 PM

I'll join. Our house is 513 sq ft.
#5 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 12:51 PM
DBZ

Does an 800 sq ft trailer count as small? My kids' bedroom is the same size as my friend's bathroom (she has a good sized house).

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#6 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 02:14 PM

We live in a mobile home, it's about 1100 sq ft (16ft X 80 ft).

With a big ol husband (6'8, 280lbs), two girls, myself and another baby coming space is becoming scarce!
#7 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 03:21 PM

we have a 2 bedroom town house style appt. not sure the actual SF, but we have a kit/dr combo that is also where our comp is. very little counter space. small bath on first floor-just for function i guess, small living room that gets smaller when all the kid stuff is out. the boys share a room and we have a room. we do have a basement that is pretty full. we don't really have that much stuff either. with boy number 3 on the way, it will really get smaller.
#8 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM

there is 6 of us living in 1200 sqft 4bd-2ba. I like it, we've lived in larger houses, but I wanted to downsize. Less room to clean, less house to heat and cool! But we have a HUGE backyard, that's where the kids should play anyway! Worth it!
Donna
#9 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM

I will join this thread. I am not sure how many sq ft..maybe 1100? We have 3 bedrooms and 1 bath.. but we also have 2 home businesses that we are trying to maintain and 4 small children (we also home educate) and I am a pack rat. I have been free cycling and decluttering like mad..:

Mama to my tribe
#10 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 06:29 PM

We have 965 glorious square feet (includes a single garage). Me and dh, 3 kids and two dogs with a combined weight of 100 pounds. Were cozy but I don't mind it. Now add in 6 more people over Thanksgiving and I'll be giving my dh a medal (my family).
#11 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Does an 800 sq ft trailer count as small? My kids' bedroom is the same size as my friend's bathroom (she has a good sized house).
:

Can I join?! Please. I live in a regular size trailor, but definitely would be considered small by most people's standards. I have tried to offer to do holiday meals here for the extended family, but no body else seems to like being as cozy as we do. I feel like our space is getting smaller by the minute as well, when we first moved here we were getting so much bigger than the small apartment we lived in where my nursery for baby number 1 was the kitchen. I laughed when people asked me what the nursery theme was, she was sleeping right in front of the refrigerator. You had to move her bed to get into it. Then we moved into this trailor and now she and her brother of 10 months share a room. Glad you started this tribe! Sometimes I feel alone in this BIG HOUSE world.

Mama to 9 year-old girl , and a 7 year-old boy :, and my big little 6 year-old boy, and a 4 year-old boy
#12 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 PM

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO belong here!

We live in a teeny-tiny 3 bedroom (but seriously, one bedroom barely has room for a bed) old house, 800 sq just about. It's 400 msq on the first level, and 400 on the second. Which I find makes it even more unbearable because we mostly live on the first floor. There is an insy-winsy bathroom (on the second level) so you always have to go upstairs to pee. It's just way too small for a family of 6.
#13 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 07:28 PM

450 sq ft (bedroom, kitchen, living room), cluttered with unpacked boxes of books. Me, dh, 2 kids and a big sheepdog. I wish we hadn't bought that enormous bed. I like the idea of multiuse bedrooms - roll-up bedding (or pile-up futons) so that during the day the bedroom can be used as a playroom. Seems such a waste to have a whole room devoted exclusively to sleeping.
#14 of 41 Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 PM

I live in an apt...Hope I can still join. I think my apt is just over 600 sq ft.
Because of the layout, it feels smaller than that. There's a lot of wall space that is taken up by pipes or heaters (renovated mill building) so I don't have much usable room.
I want to move to a place that is at least 1000 sq ft. I'd love that.
#15 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Now I know why my Californian neighbour complains about lack of space! 800 sq ft is not that small over here!

Our house is 360 sq ft and there are 6 of us. One is weeny so doesn't take up much space but we are still sort of squeezed into 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, one living room and one eat in kitchen.

Our new secret is outdoor storage. We have a small garden and a parking place at the back of the house for 2 cars. We already had a small shed next to the house but we have just bought a new shed for the end of the drive as we only have one car anyway. At 8' x 8' its bigger than the boys' bedroom!!!!!

Its great. All the bikes and big stuff are in the bog shed and there is now carpet in the old shed with shelving for books and puzzles, a small chest of drawers with old videos and cassettes, our spare folding chairs and the tumble dryer. I have been able to clear all that stuff out of the understairs cupboard which has a door from the kitchen and have put up shelves in there along the long wall to make a pantry.

All the pasta, flour, rice, tins, jars, veg, and fruit are in there; its cool because its on the outside wall of the house. I'm going to add another shelf this month when I have the money so I can take the food containers out of the useless corner cupboard in the kitchen then I might be able to reach one when I need it without getting on my hands and knees and reaching in there like a vet examining a calving cow!

If you have any storage space that could be put to better use I would highly recommend it; that and folding furniture. Our dining table (like this one) is only fully extended when we eat otherwise it obstructs the back door and our dining chairs are stored under an odd bit of the kitchen counter next to the washing machine.

If we have friends over to eat we move the table into the living room and the kitchen looks enourmous. That is what makes me sad about living in a small place: that its not so easy to entertain. We have more parties in the summer so we can all be outside but I have two February birthdays and its tricky to have people here for them.
#16 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM

We live in a small house-720 sq ft. Its me, dh, ds and our big dog. Its definitely smaller than any of the apartments we ever rented. It seems like we keep downscaling and downscaling but we still have crap everywhere. Anyone else have this problem?

I would love some ideas on how to fit into our space better. With the crazy housing prices I don't think we will be moving for a while!

Lisa

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#17 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM

360 sq ft with 6 people?! Yikes! I think you win the prize for the smallest house/occupants ratio. How ever do you DO it???
#18 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 PM

We're on a 44 foot sailboat... feels roomy to us compared to our former 36 foot sailboat pre-DS... but to people on land it can seem small.

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#19 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM

we're 4 in 1020 sq ft. I felt bad until I read some of the other posts

In our defense, it feels small because we just moved from 2000 sq ft on 3 acres to this town house.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#20 of 41 Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
We're on a 44 foot sailboat... feels roomy to us compared to our former 36 foot sailboat pre-DS... but to people on land it can seem small.
Wow, I always had this novel idea about living on a boat. We considered living in an RV for a while.
Donna
#21 of 41 Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM

I don't know how many sqft my 1 bedroom duplex is....but it's small.
Living room, bedroom, kitchen, & bathroom. 2 small closets & no cabinets.

It'll just be me and my baby.
I'll have to take some pics & bump this thread.
#22 of 41 Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM

We are in a small house too, and it is plenty big for us unless ds has friends over, and then it feels small. I want to create a playspace where 6 year old boys can let loose. We are thinking of using this back shed we have, or the carport, and making a playspace. The carport makes the most sense I guess, but we would need to close it in somehow. It has a good roof and two good walls, but it is open on the other two.
We have 3 bedrooms, but only one is normal sized, the second bedroom feels big to me, but I guess it probably isn't, and then we have a teeny, tiny third room. Ds and dd were sharing until last week, when I cleaned out the teeny, tiny room and made ds a bedroom. He wanted the smaller room, so there was no fighting over the rooms. The bedroom turned out so cute, I have a really small ikea twin bed, basically a platform, a small ikea table top (a real desk seemed too big) with a little ikea bench chair, a little dresser, and some rolling cubes that you can sit on, or flip over and use as a desk top from Target. I can't believe I fit it all, and there is still space in the middle for a little playing. I also made it fun by putting up a little basketball hoop. It is amazing what you can do in a small space, I think it is my new favorite room, it just looks so modern and clean. I like it better than dd's larger room, that just doesn't feel so perfectly suited to the space.
#23 of 41 Old 11-16-2006, 04:49 PM

Who else has good ideas for stuff? We don't have much storage room and ds#1's hockey bag sits in the kitchen most of the time since he needs it daily but it also needs to dry out. I have already broken 2 toes....
#24 of 41 Old 11-16-2006, 05:26 PM

I think we live in a small space, although I'm not so sure after reading this. We have about 1400 sq ft, and there is my husband and I, two daughters who are 18 and 17, a 13 year old son who is over 6 feet tall, a 4 year old son, two dogs, a cat and some fish.

We had three bedrooms, two normal sized ones and a small one. This summer we enclosed our back porch to make a fourth bedroom. We only have a small backyard, although it is completely fenced in with a privacy fence, and a virtually non-existent front yard.

I love our small space, though. I don't love the house, but I am slowly remodeling it to make it more lovable. I read Cottage Living magazine at the library and get ideas on ways to decorate, etc. Small is good!

It's my husband's dream to live on a boat full time. I dream of the RV living.

As for the hockey bag, can you hang it on his bedroom wall as a sort of interesting decoration? Or perhaps store it behind the couch or a chair in the living room? I covered a end table with a tablecloth and stored my son's football stuff under it for a while.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible---St. Francis of Assisi
#25 of 41 Old 11-17-2006, 12:10 PM

Most of our bags are hung up. Over door hooks are great; we have some individual ones which could be screwed into the top of the door of ours were solid wood! We put lumps of blu tack on them to stop them sliding along the doorhttp://www.amazon.com/Design-Ideas-R.../dp/B000H7LZ0A

You could hang a bag across 2 if its heavy and depending on what your outside doors are like you could even hang it on the back door so it isn't in the house if that's secure.

Or as you have a garage could you hang it up in there?
#26 of 41 Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Our house is 360 sq ft and there are 6 of us. One is weeny so doesn't take up much space but we are still sort of squeezed into 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, one living room and one eat in kitchen.
how do you get 2 bedrooms into 360 square feet? we (with 450 sf) only have one bedroom, a living room and a cramped kitchen.

i wish i had a yard, i would not feel so suffocated in here! we're high up in an apartment on a dirty, busy city street.
#27 of 41 Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM

how? One is 6x9 and the other is 10x10
#28 of 41 Old 11-21-2006, 12:56 PM

ok.
#29 of 41 Old 11-21-2006, 02:40 PM

we're rockin' about 750sq with 4 humans and 3 extremely demanding cats.
we're hopefully moving into a 1400sq 3 bedroom in feburary. our main issue is not space (though it will be nice to have that 3rd bedroom so the office/craft space can be out of the way-- right now it's half the living room and a constant mess), but storage! we have a small attic, a coat closet, a linen closet and a tiny closet in both bedrooms. there never seems to be enough places to PUT things. and we really have made an effort to get rid of most non-essential items, but there's just... STUFF everywhere. the new place has many many closets, an outdoor shed, attic, crawlspace... *sigh* it's sad that my life has come to this: i'm excited over storage opprotunities!
#30 of 41 Old 01-29-2007, 07:03 PM

How is everyone?

I keep reading threads about the "7 things" "Compacting" and declutter challenges and they all speak to me! I'm buying less out of financial necessity, I'm reusing what I can, I'm recycling, I'm sorting through paperwork daily to get it into the recycling and I'm being harsh with our clothingso there's less in the laundry processing plant we call our home Its all getting better until

One small thing happens

The coat hooks on the inside of our understairs cupboard fell off the wall. Its a stud wall and I couldn't find the joists so I did what I could to put them on a piece of ply then onto the wall which has lasted for nearly 2 years. Now I am back to coats on the floor in theunderstairs so I can't get to my shelves where I moved all the dry goods to in order to free up space in the kitchen.

The boys can't reach the over door hooks dh and I use for coats and there really is no other wall space to use. I'm going to get some cup hooks and screw them into the underside of aforementioned shelves but I need to go into town for those.......

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page