Mothering Forum banner

New here-Pittsburgh...

673 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  LEmama 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I see that there are other Pittsburgh moms here and I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Marie and my son Desmond is almost four months old. I work part-time at the Natural History Museum. I used to work full-time before Desmond was born and am still trying to work out my schedule. My mom watches Desmond while I'm away. I hardly know anyone with children around here and no one with a baby Desmond's age. Anyone else have a baby that was born in or around January of this year?

Marie

#2 ·
Welcome to Pittsburgh. This really is a wonderful place to raise a family.

We have a local moms group, PghMamasNetwork that you can access through yahoo groups. Many of the mamas there can be found here as well. The interests are varied and there are lots of get togethers.

Great to meet you. Hope to see you around.

#3 ·
Sorry to jump in like this, but I am new, too. I've been lurking for a few days... I, too, am from the Pittsburgh area; east suburbs, actually, near Monroeville. My daughter is almost 13 months old.

#7 ·
Just wondering how long it's supposed to take to get approved for the yahoo group. I signed up a week or so ago and am still pending. I was hoping to find a more active place to get in touch with Pgh moms...

Marie

#8 ·
Marie -
Hello! PghMamasNetwork *is* very active, and I am sure that your pending membership is just an oversight. It should only take a day or so. I know that the owner (not sure if that is the right term) is about to move, and just passed on the ownership to someone else on the list. I'll see what I can do to help you out. There are many cool mamas there with infants...if fact I just met two of them last week! I'll PM you with my email and other contact info.
peace-
LEmama

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LEmama

There are many cool mamas there with infants...if fact I just met two of them last week!
Say... would that be me and Suz? It was nice meeting you, LEMama!
Sarahs mom, I have an (almost) eleven-month-old and live in the east end of Pgh, Monroeville is pretty close. In fact, I'm thinking of starting to go to Monroeville LLL meetings since the group I used to go to is no more.

Marieangela, I have a friend in Churchill with a baby born this past January. She's finding it hard to get out much, especially on any type of schedule, but I'm hoping to bring her to a LLL meeting too.

Jen

#10 ·
Hello Jen.

It's nice to know that there are other mothers in the Pgh area with similar parenting styles. It seems like most people live in the east, though. I've tried several times to get in touch with someone at the Greentree LLL, but no one has ever answered the phone. Too bad Monroeville is a bit far for me to go...

Marie

#11 ·
Jen,
Definitely come to the Monroeville LLL if you can; they're wonderful! There is a group that meets in the mornings and one that meets in the evenings. I go to the morning group, and they are having a meeting tomorrow at one of the leaders' homes (usually they are held at a church in Monroeville). Let me know if you want directions. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going tomorrow because I am supposed to watch my best friend's two sons (ages 26 months and 4 months), so I don't know how practical it is to bring those two plus my dd to the meeting. I think it would just be too difficult logistically.

Anyway, the morning group usually meets the second Friday of the month at 9:30AM. If you want a schedule or directions, I could help you there. The leaders are experienced and wonderful and there are a lot of great moms who attend. I don't know much about the evening group, but I could find out more info. for you if you are interested in the evening group instead.

Hope to see you at a meeting sometime.

Hey, everyone, did you notice that they're having a "baby day" at the zoo on June 21. We should go! I took dd there once and she loved it, but we were kind of rushed, so I'd like to take her again sometime.

#13 ·
Meiri,
Yes!!!! We go to Mr. Roger's playland ALL the time! It's a wonderful place. We were just there last night, in fact. Maybe we could go for Memorial Day if people get this post fast enough. I think it's just supposed to rain anyway, so it might be a nice indoor change of pace. Or I could do it any other Monday. I'm pretty flexible.

#15 ·
Hi! We can't make it on Memorial Day or the next Monday, but could come out to Monroeville on June 9. I have a few errands to run in that area that I have been putting off! Both my children would probably love a visit to a mall because it is a novelty to them. Especially with a Mr. Rogers play place...wow. My boys are 3 1/2 and almost-8.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.