Mothering Forum banner

Are there any Little Rock moms around here?

12K views 391 replies 61 participants last post by  Khourtniey 
#1 ·
Hi, I live in LR, and it seems like there aren't too many AR moms posting around here. I'm not a mom yet, but I'm TTC and I could use all the help I can get with resources and such. I'm looking for a birth center, but I don't think we have one here? I have found a listing for a few MW's but I am hesitant to call them yet as I'm not even pg. I don't want to sound crazy KWIM?

#177 ·
Hi. I no longer live in Little Rock, I really miss it though. You are all so lucky to have Joni as a midwife, she is so wonderful. We are in Huntsville, AL now and you can't even have a home birth. So consider yourselves lucky.

My son was 2 1/2 when my 2nd son was born and he was right there with us. It was a hospital birth but the nurses were great and they brought in a cot for my son and set it up next to my bed with some videos. So he was next to me during the birth and he was amazing. Later I asked him if it was scarry and he said no. It felt so natural to have him there with us. He fell asleep after meeting his brother, it was so peacefull. Anyway I just wanted to let you know Jennifer that your son is probably looking forward to the birth of his brother or sister so if he seems comfortable with it then consider it. Oh yea, I watched some videos with him of births so he would be comfortable with seeing the new baby and hearing the mama's moans and groans.

Another Jennifer

#179 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by solstar
Are there any moms of older kids here?
My kids are in school and are 5 and 8. I just quit my job to be a SAHM again because dd came down with pneumonia plus some stress issues at work.
my boys are almost 6, 9 and 13.

I think that qualifies as older!

#182 ·
My name is Tanya, and we moved to LR at the end of September. Hubby is a native Arkansan. He was able to get a transfer so we could live closer to family. It's the first time in all our married life (9 years in September) to live near family.

We have two adorable kids: Kyle and Kaleigh. We have a surprise baby coming in July 2006. The pregnancy was a surprise, so we've decided the sex will be a surprise, also. We were using cloth diapers until we moved. I have a batch half finished before the move that are still waiting. Moving, holidays and the first trimester all kept me away from finishing them. And she's too big for the other ones! Hopefully I'll get back to them soon. I never remembered how bad disposables stink sitting in the diaper pail. Cloth just doesn't stink that bad, plus they get taken out and washed more often than the trash goes out

I stay home with my kiddos, and am homeschooling my son. We've started a little structure (10-15 minutes, but not quite every day) doing what he's most interested in at the time. Right now it's writing letters. He was so proud of himself when he wrote his name! We're going to take it one day at a time and just do whatever works for us. I am planning another VBAC this time, and will hire a doula again since I'll be having a hospital birth. The birth couldn't have gone better with my second despite PROM, and I'll be taking the same steps I did last time, only with all new caregivers.

Our family is an extended breastfeeding family. I'm still nursing my 16 month old, and it remains to be seen if I will experience tandem nursing this summer. My son weaned when I was pregnant with my daughter, so I didn't get to experience that last time. He told me he didn't want nursies anymore and they were for baby Kaleigh. So sweet.

Anyway, it's great to see other crunchy mamas here who live near me. Sometimes I feel like the only one!

#183 ·
Hi LR area mommies! I'm originally from Hot Springs but have lived in California for 20+ years.

Looks like hubby and I may very well relocate to Little Rock within the next few months, and I need some real estate help! Can someone please tell me about nice neighborhoods in LR, even "trendy" areas for lack of a better word?! Or can you recommend a good real estate agent I could call to start getting a feel for some of the neighborhoods?

Also, what are the good schools/school districts in the area? Is there anything resembling Waldorf or the like in the LR area?

And, what other cities that would be w/in 30 min. commute into downtown LR that are nice could we consider?

Thanks in advance for yer help!!!!!!!

#184 ·
I hope we'll be able to welcome you back to Arkansas! I will PM you the name of some realtors to consider.

Regarding neighborhoods: "Trendy" is definitely the Heights and Hillcrest, which I guess would be considered "midtown." If you like older homes with a lot of character, this would be the place to look. In searching, look for streets that are off of Kavanaugh or Cantrell, streets with President's names (Taylor, Tyler, Polk, etc.) and "letter" streets (R St., Y St., Ampersand St. - LOL!). I believe the zip is 72207.

There are lots of nice neighborhoods in West Little Rock (zip 72212), Sherwood (which is North Little Rock - 72120), and Maumelle (this is where I live, if you have any questions I can help with - 72113).

I don't think we have any Waldorf schools in LR, but there are lots of Montessori schools. I don't know what age your children are, but I have heard good things about Fulbright Elementary and Central High School. Not sure about Jr. High's...

HTH,
Stephanie

#185 ·
Loads of thanks for the helpful info

DD is 3 now, so we have time to shop around for schools, or to decide if we will homeschool.

My dilemma now is thinking about moving away from my sisters -- I'm very close to them, and they're the only family beside DH & me that DD has known so far.......

#187 ·
Well, we have been smacked down by the hand of beaurocracy! My hubby's boss had given him the green light to transfer his job to Little Rock, but once the process started going higher up, it was denied...............

........at least for now. Hubby works for SBC--er, excuse me--AT&T, and while they're still merging/reorganizing, no transfers are being granted. Looks like we'll be able to approach it again around the end of the year, when everything is targeted to be complete w/ the merger.

Judging by our disappointment with this news, I think we were definitely leaning towards moving. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

#188 ·
Hey
We live in Benton!!!

Tannersmommy (Stephanie) You go to the LLL meetings don't you? I always think I'll go, but I never do.

Maybe we can get together soon, since it's so pretty lately. If anyone is up for a short drive you are more than welcome to come over. We have a big backyard with lots of kids stuff!

I don't know about Tanner, Steph, but Dylan is LOVING it outside. The sandbox is his thing! lol

Tanya, do you go to story time at the library? We will SO have to get together, since we live so close!

#192 ·
Hi everyone,

I moved to Arkansas almost 7 months ago. I live in Beebe, in White County. Hiya to all you mamas who live in the Searcy and Cabot areas!

We frequent Little Rock, once a week or more, usually on Fridays. Currently, I am trying to start up a natural foods coop here in my area, and waiting to find out if Ozark Foods Coop warehouse will establish a drop in our area.

Also, I am a massage therapist, and my business name is Massage By Amelia (that is my birth name, but I go by Jyotsna to my friends).

I have just purchased an old 1952 house, which has a 1000sqft building in the back of the property and I will move my massage practice to my place now.
A wonderful yoga instructor is planning to join me and have classes there 2 - 3 times per week.

Those in Searcy will be able to see me at The Natural Foods Store (Perry's place) on Monday and Friday doing chair massage.

Otherwise, my kids are going to traditional public school in Beebe, so I am mostly HERE so I can be available to them if I need to be. My home is 0.03 miles from the school! That is NOT a typo.

I started the Little Rock Mamas yahoo groups about 9 months ago, and I will love to see all of you mamas there to chat and hopefully meet.

I am originally from Memphis.

#193 ·
Hi Jennifer,

I wanted to tell you that my sister lives in Alabama, and I have heard about the homebirth problems there. However, there ARE midwives that are working underground, and there ARE midwives that are JUST over the TN line, that can work with you. So don't give up!

Jyotsna

#194 ·
Hi, I just chanced upon this forum and signed up. I am originally from Chalmette, Louisiana and evacuated to Little Rock. We have decided to stay and have bought a house in West Little Rock. I am still trying to meet new people and thought this might be a good way to do so. It's really a nice place to live.

There were some questions about the public schools in LR. I can offer that my daughter was assigned to Carver Magnet and we love it there. It seems like all of the teachers are there because they want to be. That really does make a difference. My son is Autisic and goes to Forest Heights Middle. They have treated him very well there and he is getting services that I begged for in Louisiana. Does anyone else have special needs kids?

I have not gone back to work at a 9-5 job yet. I have started selling Discovery Toys and think it's going pretty well. Feel free to e-mail me if anyone is interested in career opportunities or the educational toys.

I don't know how to do a signature yet, but will figure it out soon I hope.

Susan - mother of two - boy 12 and girl 7

#196 ·
Just wanted to say hey to LR moms!

How many of us are still posting here at MDC? I've just been lurking lately- well, I guess I should say I've started lurking again! :LOL

Has there been a get-to-gather recently? We should try to meet up sometime! Maybe some Saturday at the Farmer's market or a park or something. Anyone up for that?

#199 ·
Am I alone here? I wanted to go to LLL but I never have, I am always afraid of not knowing anyone and looking like a loser. HS flashbacks I guess. Really want to get involved because we had THE roughest start and now we are still going strong at 15 monthes. Any NLR Cabot moms out there with kids in the same age PM and we can arrange a playdate.

#200 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastonsMom
Am I alone here? I wanted to go to LLL but I never have, I am always afraid of not knowing anyone and looking like a loser. HS flashbacks I guess. Really want to get involved because we had THE roughest start and now we are still going strong at 15 monthes. Any NLR Cabot moms out there with kids in the same age PM and we can arrange a playdate.
You've gotta come!! There are at least three of us on MDC (that I know of) that regularly go to LLL meetings. There's always someone who is new, and the group is SO welcoming you won't even feel out of place. Even though you don't have problems now, there may be a mother of a new baby who is going through what you've already made it through and could benefit from your experience. There are usually at least three leaders there, too, to make sure all new moms are welcomed. There's a ton of toddlers, too. Some moms live in NLR, LR, Maumelle, Benton. Playdates happen here and there, plus one of the moms has been having informal meetings at her house with a topic like cloth diapers (that was the last one she had). We don't get many Conway moms since there is a LLL group there.

First Thursday of every month 10 am at Second Presbyterian Church
600 Pleasant Valley Dr
Little Rock, AR 72227 (Cantrell & I430)
Enter at first entrance, drive around to back by small fenced playground. Enter double doors and go right at the top of stairs. We usually have signs up.

Please think about going next month. I'd love to meet other moms in the area, too.

#201 ·
EastonsMom,
I am one of the LLL regulars too. Would love to meet you in person at the meeting next month! It is THE place to meet like-minded moms in the area. You will definitely not feel alone anymore. Our group makes me feel like all of my parenting choices are the norm, which feels wonderful!
:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.