New London, CT: what to do here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1 of 9 Old 12-03-2006, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am spending Christmas in New London, CT. My oldest son lives there. He visited the town, fell in love and moved in.

What is there to do? I visited New England in the summertime when I was twelve years old, many years ago. It was hot, humid and hospitable.

What is there to do in late December in CT for an old California girl?

Any MDC'ers there?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-03-2006, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing...just kidding. I always like walking around in Mystic, i know it's touristy but it's also beautiful, and there are art galleries, etc. Have fun, I can't stand New England, but it's nice for a quick visit!
#3 of 9 Old 12-03-2006, 11:00 PM

There are quite a few of us in the area, actually... We have a yahoo group called the Crunchy Crew.

There is all sorts of things to do, a couple theaters, small childrens museum, indoor play area at mall and one called Panda Planet (has a laser tag area too), Mystic and Stonington for sightseeing, riverwalks in Groton, New London and Norwich, active arts communities, decent local band scene. I guess it depends on what you are interested in.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#4 of 9 Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Plenty of MDCers from CT here!

I love the Book Barn in Niantic for a day trip. This family converted a farm into a used book store. Each outbuilding houses a different selection of books, they have goats and gardens, free snacks, and a downtown (heated) store right down the street from their main store. That's pretty close to New London.

What do you like to do, what are you interested in?

nak~
#5 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 AM

There is a really cool steam train ride along the CT river pretty close to there I think it's open this time of year, if your interested let me know and I'll dig up the info!

Mama to Clara 5/2/06, & Anna 11/4/08 and wife to Dan 6/8/02
#6 of 9 Old 12-12-2006, 02:26 AM

On nice days, the aboretum in New London is nice - also Bluff Point in Groton or Harkness Park in Waterford. Indoors, the Niantic Children's Museum, Monster Mini-Golf in Groton, Norwich Ice Skating Rink, Mystic Aquarium, Nature's Art in Montville, Pequotsepos Nature Center in Mystic, and there's plenty of galleries and shops in downtown New London and Mystic, as someone else said. One of my friends works at the Book Barn that was mentioned - it's huge and you could spend hours just hanging around. In Middletown, about 40 minutes away, there is a great kids' museum called KidCity, which is excellent!

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#7 of 9 Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Plenty of MDCers from CT here!

I love the Book Barn in Niantic for a day trip. This family converted a farm into a used book store. Each outbuilding houses a different selection of books, they have goats and gardens, free snacks, and a downtown (heated) store right down the street from their main store. That's pretty close to New London.

What do you like to do, what are you interested in?

nak~
Ooh... I forgot about the Book Barn. I haven't been there in ages! I'll have to check it out again soon

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#8 of 9 Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 AM

We were just there... they've re-vamped the kids' room and it's much improved. Main building, top of the stairs, go right. Much nicer than before...

Decluttering SAHM of three. Going for 2011 items in 2011.
#9 of 9 Old 12-20-2006, 03:03 AM

We spend a lot of time in New London and walk around downtown a lot. There is so much to see and do. I second the arboretum up at Conn College on a nice day (like today would have been perfect). Harkness park is really nice. We soemtimes go and spend lunch at the Hygenic Park on bank Street and get chai/coffee and a snack from Muddy Waters.

I second joining thecrunchycrew on yahoogroups Great bunch of gals on there!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page