Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is great.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 AM

Marilyn, married to my soulmate Jay and mommy to Elijah Blaze 08/04/2003 and Mila Soleil 10/02/2011 . 
Old 12-13-2006, 11:52 AM

Mother to two great kids. &
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM

here!

Orthodox Mama
Old 12-13-2006, 01:24 PM

Yea!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:43 PM

:
Old 12-14-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

So how many other new students are feeling overwhelmed? :
Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 AM

Although, it isn't so bad now that I have been apprenticing for 8 months or so.

I always feel like whenever I am feeling overwhelmed, I just need to totally dive into the feeling, and pretty soon, things start making sense. It is good to accept feeling overwhelmed, imo, cause clarity and familiarity are right around the corner.

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife
Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 AM

:

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Not overwhelmed...taking the SLOW route...raising children and doing just my bookwork right now.

Orthodox Mama
Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Mommaduck - who are you doing your book work through?
Any of you -
I really, really, really want to be a midwife. I have a great mw I could apprentice with. I just can't afford Ancient Art school. Are there any online schools that are accredited that I could use the FAFFA grants for? Is it possible to just use textbooks without using a specific curriculum? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Midwife To Be program from newlifehomebirth.com and Lisa Aman. I will be ordering the first unit in Jan...but I am already reading through certain books that I was able to get my hands on now and am counting my study times. They are not accredited, but you can still take NARMS. I wanted to use the Michigan School of Traditional Midwifery...but money and time are big factors for me. MTB is $50 to start...$25 for each unit...and you pay that as you go along. Finish a unit and you send in $25 to get the test and continue on to the next unit. Of course you have to purchase your own books, or go to the library to read...there is also always buying used online or from other student midwives. You can also do it at your own pace...no set time limits.

Orthodox Mama
Old 12-14-2006, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not overwhelmed...taking the SLOW route...raising children and doing just my bookwork right now.
I am too. But I'm still overwhelmed! Thinking of all there is to do and learn!! :

Ditto the MTB recommendation. That's who I'm going thru as well. The books will be your biggest expense. I've been able to find some good deals on books so far. I need a few more for the first unit but what I have so far is keeping me busy!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Awesome! I'll check it out. Thank you so much!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:30 AM

So, I have a question for those of you who are apprenticing....

I have realized that I have a hard time asserting myself with clients. I think that I constantly second guess myself knowing that I am the student midwife and am always worried that I will say the 'wrong' information to our clients...maybe because I feel like they didn't hire me as their midwife, so I dont want to overstep what my preceptor might say or do. Does that make sense??:

Oh, and my preceptor is great about not making me feel like 'the student' and really encourages me to build relationships with our clients so that they will come to me with questions/concerns. But, I realized today that because in the back of my head I know that they aren't *my* clients, I am always second guessing myself in regards to what I say.

It sucks! I want to feel more confident in myself and my words. I want to feel confident enough to tell clients what it is I think without thinking 'i wonder what my preceptor would say'.

I don't feel like it will be a problem once I am on my own. It isn't that I want to try to say whatever my preceptor would say...it is more because they aren't my clients, I don't want to overstep what my preceptor might say.

Crazy, I know.: :

Words of wisdom??

Homebirth midwife
Old 12-16-2006, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3 View Post
So how many other new students are feeling overwhelmed? :
I am! Sometimes I feel like no matter how much I read and study, I am just never going to know what I need to knos. The info goes in, and gets lost somewhere. And then there are the weeks when I'm away from my children every other day, or we've had to cancel two playdates in a row with their friends or whatever and I wonder if I'm doing to the right thing or if we'll ever get used to this new way of life. It's tough. I'm feeling overwhelmed in every area of my life now.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel like no matter how much I read and study, I am just never going to know what I need to knos. The info goes in, and gets lost somewhere.
Yes...this exactly!!!

Is anyone on-call right now?

I am. Client due 12/24.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:35 PM

We have a little break until the the 1st week of February. Our client that was due 12/23 had her baby last week!

But, starting in Feb., we have 2-3 clients through August (!) so I am going to enjoy this downtime to spend some time with my family and get things in my house in order a little more.

I have to say, though....

I kinda miss being on call.

Homebirth midwife
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3 View Post
Is anyone on-call right now?

I am. Client due 12/24.
I am on call all the time.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 AM

Oh! Just saw this! I'm going through www.globalmidwives.org

Shelby
Old 12-17-2006, 02:27 AM

Heya! Nice to join you ladies!

Nah, I'm off call until Feb. :nana:

I alternate between spazing out and feeling really overwhelmed, feeling very content, and feeling a little bored that I've got such a long break between births right now. So I suppose that's 'undecided'
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I want to join in!! I don't have an apprenticeship yet, but am working on the book learnin'. I am going through AAMI, and I just started a few months ago, so I have a long ways to go! I am hoping to get an apprenticeship started maybe in a year or more... my youngest is only 5 1/2 months, so I am not in a huge hurry.... even though I really do want to get started.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:58 PM

Hi all! I'm waiting to get my stuff from AAMI. Yipee!

Can anyone give me any info on Anne frye's book's Wholistic Midwifery?

Thks!

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM

So glad I found where the tribe was located!

Lennon... it is hard to get over that second-guessing. I had that problem when I did doula work... my trainer was also a good friend of mine, and we would often cover for each other. I even covered for her teaching some of her classes... and that was really hard for me, because I felt since I hadn't been doing it as long as she had, that somehow I wasn't good enough. :P

You just have to convince yourself that you know your stuff, and that your suggestions, even if they end up being different than your preceptor's, are valid as well. I know I'll be going through the same thing when I finally start an apprenticeship. Must have been all that training I had as a child about not bragging, and being told that what I was interested in wasn't as important as whatever else was deemed to be more important. :P

Anyway, I hope you feel more comfortable soon. It will happen. Maybe without you even realizing it.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:16 PM

Hey Nosebite... nice to see another AAMI'er!

Anne Frye is writing a trilogy of textbooks on birthing. Holistic Midwifery Volume I covers all aspects of pregnancy & caring for the pregnant client. It was first published in the 1990s. Great book. Covers everything from anatomy & biology to possible problems that may be encountered during each trimester. Also contains a section on nutrition and what to expect from different cultures.

Holistic Midwifery Volume II just came out a year or so ago. It is THICK... I should get some muscles from moving that book around! LOL It covers labor & birth. All sorts of great info from cardinal movements of baby in just about every conceivable starting position to attending to mom's emotional needs. I haven't had the chance to finish this book yet, but I'm so glad I got to see it before my own next bundle joins us!

Holistic Midwifery Volume III hasn't been published yet... Anne is probably hard at work on it now. It is supposed to cover postpartum care.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM

I just received my the copy of Holistic Midwifery II that I ordered early in the month. I'm so excited. It's much more beautiful than I expected.
Lennon, I felt the way you were describing for about the first year of my apprenticeship. I was so stressed out, I was having all these weird symptoms: lump in my throat, feeling like I couldn't take a deep breath, and sweating the stinkiest sweat ever, right through my cloths no matter what kind of underarm stuff I tried. It definately got better with time, and soon I felt confident that the information I was giving was accurate, even if it wasn't exactly how my preceptors would have responded.
I miss being on call. I haven't been to a birth since early May! There is a client due now who said I could bring the baby, so I may be going to a birth soon. We shall see if I actually get a call though. Her last birth was about an hour long and her sister ended up catching the baby!

Wife to Joe and Mama to Rosie, 6/28/06, Jack, 10/25/08 and JoJo 3/18/10.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 PM

Would you say Holistic Midwifery I and II is a must for your collection?

Mama to 2 CRAZY boys
Old 12-18-2006, 10:34 PM

yes! if you can't afford vol. 2 yet, i would definitely try to find vol 1. i found my copy used for $35 (vol 1). i just recently was able to finally get vol 2, and haven't started reading it through, but just picking through it, and i really like it.

Homebirth midwife

User Tag List