Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Elizabeth, Dh & Quinn!!!!

Can't wait to hear the birth story!!

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#272 of 1000 Old 04-15-2007, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't wait to hear the Quinn birth story!

My birthday was not a good day . I was feeling confident that nursing would get better, that what I was feeling was normal. I had a friend come over who is a lactation consultant, just to check our latch, etc. She saw that we didn't have a good latch, and she spent 3 hours with us, showing me various ways to get him latched on better, different positions, etc.......all of which I found to be more frustrating, sometimes more painful, and made me feel like I was starting all over again. I've been working some with trying to get him latched on properly, but frankly......after spending 90 minutes this morning at 4 am trying to get him latched on correctly (and sobbing and praying as I've never prayed before), I gave up and let him latch on "wrong".

I hope this passes soon. It makes me feel tense when a feeding is coming soon, and especially now that I know that I've been doing it "wrong". I can't believe I managed a natural childbirth and this is what I'm finding so difficult.....

This too shall pass. This too shall pass. This too shall pass.
#273 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 AM

Shanna,

This will pass. Even if you didn't start out with the most efficient latch, you will find what works for you. And you know what you should be proud of? You've been giving your baby the best possible nourishment. And you've prevailed through sickness and pain to keep doing it. You are an awesome mama.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#274 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Shanna, ita with what snozzberry said. I am confident that you will get through this. I am thinking about you.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#275 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Shanna, I'm sending and s. I know you two will work it out. I hope it happens very soon! You are such a good mama!

#276 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 AM

Shanna, much love...you will prevail, and you are a fantastic mama!

Come ponder with me about food!
#277 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Shanna, I'm glad my cosleeping story was helpful to you. I'm just sorry I can't now offer a post titled, "My breastfeeding story", but that would definitely be a little weird.

I know you and Fenton will make it through this challenge. I'm thinking about you Mama.
#278 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 PM

: : : : : : : : : :

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S Holiztic and Daddymoe!!!! W E L C O M E Quinn!!!!!
#279 of 1000 Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Shanna-
I KNOW you will get better at this.
I remember what someone posted a bit ago somewhere:
Even if the latch is 'wrong', as long as baby is growing and mama isn't hurting, then the latch is 'right' for them.

And, eventually, you two will 'grow' into each other.

It WILL get better!!!
#280 of 1000 Old 04-20-2007, 12:50 PM

bump... shanna -how did you 'find' a latch that works for you?

holiztic- your boy is adorable... love the matching hat!

went to go visit my family yesterday. my neice, 11 weeks younger then my son, is about the same length and only 3 lbs lighter! wow! she's got such long arms and legs, but like limp noodles. very sweet. she's also almost rolling over! and, apparently, been for a while. she can go from back to side.
#281 of 1000 Old 04-21-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
Shanna-
I KNOW you will get better at this.
I remember what someone posted a bit ago somewhere:
Even if the latch is 'wrong', as long as baby is growing and mama isn't hurting, then the latch is 'right' for them.

And, eventually, you two will 'grow' into each other.

It WILL get better!!!
This has to get better. Unfortunately, it's hurting mama. BUT: Fenton is getting what he needs, and the pain is still bearable for me. But it has to get better.....I have some crutch optionsthat I could use if things got really bad: pumping, finger feeding.....all options that seem much worse to me that the pain I'm feeling, so it helps put it into perspective.

Quote:
bump... shanna -how did you 'find' a latch that works for you?
We had help from the Lactation Consultant, and she showed me how to get him to latch on correctly for when his mouth is bigger. Basically, it's quickly putting the bottom of my aerola into his mouth and then stuffing the upper part of my nipple and aerola in afterwards, so that he's getting the bottom half first and then lots of the top halp. It takes a lot of timing practice and feels a bit like learning how to double-dutch jump rope. So as of right now, we have good "form" and we're just waiting for his mouth size to catch up to it. I've gotten a good latch with him a couple of times (by good, I mean where he had a big enough mouthful of breast so that it wasn't painful. Still, he's not dangling off the end, so it's not as bad as all that. Just a small enough mouthful to be painful.), but his mouth is so small that he can't sustain it. But it will get better. It has to.

We got pictures taken! They're here, and you can view them by clicking on my name on the left. I'll remove this link in a day or so so it's not floating out here, but wanted to share. #60 is one of my favorites .
#282 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks for sharing the pics Shanna!!!

I know you didn't ask, but just thought I'd say that I love 7, 17, 22, 26, 36, 48, 60, 81. What a sweet little man!

Glad nursing remains tolerable for you. Hope things continue to improve.
#283 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 04:54 AM

Fenton is adorable and he looks so sweet and wise. And it's so neat to see the three of you
#284 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 AM

Shanna, those pics are beautiful! Y'all are such a *cute* family!!!
#285 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Hello all, i am finally showing up to get some love for little man and me! i am having a slow and complicated recovery, so it will still be a while before I am back online for long enough periods to post the birth story, but its coming, i promise.

looked like i was developing a breast infection yesterday, as i had a big, hard, sore, red spot on my right breast and a rising temp (from99.4 to 100.4 in only an hour). My sister had 2 bouts of mastitis and said she has never felt worse in her life. she ended up giving up on bf after the second infection. needless to say i was freaked out and called my midwife asking for antibiotics (sooooo not normal for me!) DH picked them up at 7, and I was supposed to wait until 2 hours after dinner to start them, but as of 9 my temp was 99.7, so i held off on the antib's. at midnight my temp was 98.6 and now it is 97.6. So i guess i have a plugged duct and i am doing all kinds of heat/massage, etc. But poor Quinn is having th hardest time latching on now (like fenton, he just needs a bigger mouth!!) and bf is hurting like hell right now!!

well, the one handed typing is getting arduous. oh, and what's a girl gotta do to get into the second post (Isabel).

Quinn Herrick was born 4/13/07
#286 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 AM

Oh my goodness, someone gave me a ddddc!!!! my first, and i just noticed it, how long has it been there???? thanks to the benefactor!!!
#287 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
looked like i was developing a breast infection yesterday, as i had a big, hard, sore, red spot on my right breast and a rising temp (from99.4 to 100.4 in only an hour). My sister had 2 bouts of mastitis and said she has never felt worse in her life. she ended up giving up on bf after the second infection. needless to say i was freaked out and called my midwife asking for antibiotics (sooooo not normal for me!) DH picked them up at 7, and I was supposed to wait until 2 hours after dinner to start them, but as of 9 my temp was 99.7, so i held off on the antib's. at midnight my temp was 98.6 and now it is 97.6. So i guess i have a plugged duct and i am doing all kinds of heat/massage, etc. But poor Quinn is having th hardest time latching on now (like fenton, he just needs a bigger mouth!!) and bf is hurting like hell right now!!
Solidarity, sister

I had the beginings of an infection, starting with a plugged duct too. The heat, massage, hand expression and nursing like crazy got in under control within about 36 hours. Hang in there mama! I felt like I had the worst case of the flu I'd ever had.

As for the latch-on pain, my sister says it gets better in 2 weeks, but another friend said 3 months . I think it really depends on their size. I'm starting week 5 tomorrow, but I can say it's starting to get a little better. Do you have good "form" with your latch? Make sure he's coming up from the bottom, makes it easier (not easy, but easier) for him to get more of the lower aerola in his mouth. A bigger mouthful.....well, I'm working on that too . Is the pain only during latch for you, or all during nursing? .
#288 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Shanna, I love the pics!! He is so cute! And you look great! Glad to hear bf is beginning to improve.

Elizabeth, I hope Bf improves soon for you! Did you post pictures? I need to go look for those...

#289 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Wow, talk about pregnancy brain! I have seen your pictures of Quinn. How embarrassing! I probably even posted about them.

ETA: I did post about it!

#290 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 PM

I never can figure out which thread to post things in.
Anyway, just got back from the midwife.
HB in the 140s. Still head down, back is generally along my right side.
She asked if I wanted an internal to check effacement, but I said no for now. Will consider it, but don't think I will want any. She just thought that I might want to know so that if it is really firm I could start on EPO. Of course I could just start on EPO anyway. But mostly, I try to have prostaglandin deposited on my cervix as often as possible, but sometimes DH is too tired.
Tomorrow is 37 weeks, so I'm officially "in the clear" now.
My blood pressure and all is really good. Only my ankles are super swollen and I had leg cramps from hell last night but it is b/c I was on my feet too much yesterday & day before working. Will take it easy next few days and should all be fine.

Anyone care to predict birth stats? Prize for the winner.
I'm thinking gender, date, and height/weight.
#291 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Shanna-
Those pics are SO cute! Good luck with picking just a few.

I'm going to tell you two (shanna and elizabeth) the same thing everyone 'in the know' told me: it will get better, you just need to 'grow into' each other.

It is SO true, I promise. One session at a time, it will get better. (I probably don't have the best 'form', but it gets the job done.)

I just got a wedding gig in San Francisico in the beginning of August. So, we'll be taking a little trip. Probably flying into Alameda. I'm looking forward to it.

Okay, gotta go post some new photos of the babe.

ps i updated my Teo link to go to our flickr account.
#292 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
well, the one handed typing is getting arduous. oh, and what's a girl gotta do to get into the second post (Isabel).

Quinn Herrick was born 4/13/07
Sorry Elizabeth, I haven't been here for about 2 weeks (so last time I came here Quinn hadn't been born yet), so I couldn't update. The second post is updated, I'll now have to catch up with the NMY thread - I'll look out for your posts (I'm not going to read everything ) so I can update the third post too.

I'm glad you wrote the date too in that post, that made it faster for me to find it .

And last but not least:
Congratulations! : : : :
#293 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Shanna, those pics are adorable!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#294 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, the third post is updated now too!

If I missed any important post/link/thread, please let me know (you (general you) can just post a link in this thread and I'll see it. I'll try to come here regularly to keep everything updated.

And I just noticed that I had Teo as just Teo. So Now I changed it to Teotime (Teo).
Katt: I totally forgot what his middle name is, if you want me to write that in the second post too, please just let me know.

ETA: I just saw the pictures (of all 3 boys ) they're so adorable!
#295 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 PM

Just Isabel: it is Teotimo (no 2nd. E)
Nope, that is just fine, thanks
#296 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 10:34 PM

Alice: Hmmm.....

May 16, 2007
Boy
8 lbs. 2 oz.
21 inches

Just a random guess really...

What do I win if I'm right though?

#297 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post

What do I win if I'm right though?
Still figuring that one out. But it'll be something awesome!

--------------------

Incase I edit this later, the pics are also available to my friends on myspace. [Please don't quote the links. Thanks!]

37 weeks

Covered

Uncovered

With Dog & Ball
#298 of 1000 Old 04-22-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
Still figuring that one out. But it'll be something awesome!

--------------------

Incase I edit this later, the pics are also available to my friends on myspace.
heh alice, we have the same printer/scanner thingo.

My guess:
2 May 2007
7 pounds 9ounces
20 inches
Girl

I think the prize of knowing we were right is more than enough!!! (at least it would be for this aries!)

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#299 of 1000 Old 04-23-2007, 02:31 AM

The babes are all so adorable, you lucky NMY grads!

just to make it offical...
Alice is having:
A Boy
on May 12th (evening of)
8lbs
20 inches

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#300 of 1000 Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just Isabel: it is Teotimo (no 2nd. E)
: Sorry Katt, that was a typo. It's fixed now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page