NMY Graduates love thread - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It would appear I am in labor. I had a little bloddy clotty thing in the toilet and some more bloody mucusy stuff when I wiped. And I've been having contractions like every 10 minutes for the past few hours. They are still far enough apart that they could peter out and stop. But this could be the day.
Nobody guessed the 18th. A few guessed the 19th. But I'd rather not have labor drag on the whole day. I guess we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#392 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
It would appear I am in labor. I had a little bloddy clotty thing in the toilet and some more bloody mucusy stuff when I wiped. And I've been having contractions like every 10 minutes for the past few hours. They are still far enough apart that they could peter out and stop. But this could be the day.
Nobody guessed the 18th. A few guessed the 19th. But I'd rather not have labor drag on the whole day. I guess we shall see.
Yay! : Alice!
Sending good labor vibes! You're going to be a great mama!

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#393 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Hooray! Wonderful birth vibes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
But someone did guess the 17th .....Is it like TPIR where we have to guess as close to the real date without going over?

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#394 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Alice!!
I'm so excited for you! :

*sending orgasmic birth vibes to you! *
#395 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 01:47 PM

who-hoo!!!! another baby another baby!! wishing you an easy labour!
#396 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Alice is having a baby! I'm giddy!

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#397 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 05:48 PM

Congrats, Alice! :

I'll be thinking of you this weekend and wishing you a lovely introduction to your new babe!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#398 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM

Alice, I will be away this weekend visiting my folks (my last plane ride till I'm in your shoes), but I wanted to know that I will be sending you happy thoughts and will be looking forward to reading all about it on Monday. By the time I get home from my weekend jaunt, you will be done! transformed!
#399 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Yay!
congrats RicosAlice!!!!!

I'm so excited that you are working on birthing your baby! Can't wait to hear back from you when you are ready

-Jodi
#400 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Sending pleasant vibes your way Alice!

(and yes, I do know I still owe you all a birth story, every time I get on and try, Quinn wants to nurse and I cannot do that kind of typing with one hand!!!)
#401 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Love and easy birth vibes coming your way Alice. Yay! Good Luck.:

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#402 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 PM

Interrupting Alice's labor to just share my happiness that Maev is now head down and no longer transverse (per my mw - I still thought she was probably transverse ). So I guess all my inverted poses and mopping of the floors paid off. Yay! Now she better stay that way!

Still thinking of you Alice! Hope things are going well for you!

#403 of 1000 Old 05-18-2007, 10:58 PM

Thanks you guys! No baby yet. Things have goine up and down in intensity. But since my water hasn't broken and baby is doing well we're just gonna go along for now.

Either DH or I will make sure you guys stay updated.
#404 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Oh Alice! That's so exciting! I can't wait to hear all about it! :

And Maela that's so good to hear about Maev!

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#405 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 AM

Did you get an infant car seat or did you get a convertible? I was planning on just getting a convertible (I registered for a britax boulevard), but I've been hearing that the convertibles could be not as safe as an actual infant car seat when the babies are very young/small. Is this true? What do you think? Also, people are complaining to me that my registry doesn't have enough items on it. Would an infant seat make our life easier? I don't plan on carrying her around in it like most parents I see.

#406 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 12:16 PM

Teo didn't fit in the convertible, lengthwise, for about 1 month. We borrowed my sister's bucket, when he fit the convertible (britax blvd) we used that. We did not use the bucket as a carrier, never even took it out of the car.

I think that most babies do not fit into a convertible, the shoulder straps are just too high.

If you want to buy an infant seat, I'd get the cheapest, best quality, you can get. That way you aren't out a lot of money for a seat you'll only use for a little while.
#407 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Interrupting Alice's labor to just share my happiness that Maev is now head down and no longer transverse (per my mw - I still thought she was probably transverse ). So I guess all my inverted poses and mopping of the floors paid off. Yay! Now she better stay that way!
Congrats, Maela!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#408 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Did you get an infant car seat or did you get a convertible? I was planning on just getting a convertible (I registered for a britax boulevard), but I've been hearing that the convertibles could be not as safe as an actual infant car seat when the babies are very young/small. Is this true? What do you think? Also, people are complaining to me that my registry doesn't have enough items on it. Would an infant seat make our life easier? I don't plan on carrying her around in it like most parents I see.
Maela - Congrats on Maev! I'm going to be finding out if mine is transverse still or has moved to head down on my appt. on the 29th.....

Great question too BTW.... I also have the britax boulevard. I worry that the straps will be too high.... but I also don't want a bucket..... I can get a bucket for about $30 from my insurance company - and they will ship it to my house.... so I might do it just in case, but I'm really on the fence about this because DH and I were both born tall. I was 23 inches, he was 21 inches - and so I wonder if our baby will be tall too - that they may actually fit in the convertible right away? I'll probably still order the bucket just to be safe, and dontate it once we don't need it as a back-up anymore (and sell our 2nd car when we move)......

-Jodi
#409 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 01:06 PM

Naptime, hafta rush....

RA!!! I'm praying for a beautiful birth for you and the wee babe! . I can't wait to hear that he or she is finally here!!!!!

On the issue of carseats, I'm still torn, and Fenton is almost 8 weeks old. We have the Evenflo Triumph, and used it from day 1. I was never confident that it fit him right, not for length so much as the fact that newborns hardly have any shoulders upon which to rest the shoulder straps. Looking back, I probably should have gone to an infant seat for optimal safety. Though if you ask the Freakonomics author about carseats, he says statistically they really don't prevent as much as we think they do and that being in the backseat is the most important thing for a child (just a weird point Ithought I'd share)......Anyway, the convertible fits Fenton very well now, but I still second-guess not having a carrier because of how often he falls asleep in the carseat, and can't fall back asleep after I take him out and hold him or sling him (and then has trouble all day from being so tired). I think this is a bigger issue for babies that are lighter sleepers, but it has meant that Brandon and I are a little more skittish about going on with life as normal if it's going to interrupt his nap schedule.

So, thats a long way of saying:

Alice is having a baby! Alice is having a baby! Alice is having a baby!!!!!!!
#410 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Hooray Alice!! We're praying that you and baby will have an awsome birth (awsome in the proper sense of the word, not the watered down 80's meaning). I'll be lurking in anticipation!!

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#411 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Remember it isn't about total length it is about torso length. Shoulders should be AT the strap or higher.
#412 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 03:00 PM

sneaking in to say hello when i should be working...

Good birth vibes Alice!

Yay Maev for turning head down.

We'll get an infant seat. i spend a fair amount of time driving, so i'd rather just have it.

Busy mama of
#413 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 05:22 PM

My baby is head down too. Phew. Although really it's too early to be worrying... (Who, us? worry?? )

Alice, sending you good thoughts. Glad your water hasn't broken yet -- no imposed time limits -- hang in there, and don't forget to sleep while you can!

On carseats, we are going with a convertible (Britax Roundabout) that came to us for free. We don't own a car, and I am insistent that baby is coming home by subway. It will probably be a while before we have need of the carseat. At least 3 months, possibly 9.
#414 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 06:51 PM

On carseats:

We actually got one of each, an inexpensive infant seat (Graco something or other for about $70) and a convertible. The infant seat is in my van and the convertible is in DH's coupe. The idea is that Quinn rides in the van 99% of the time, but on rare occasion if he does need to go in DH's car, there is something in there for him to ride in. Then, when it is time, we'll move the convertible into my van.

To specifically answer your question, I am really glad we have the infant seat--he fits in it so nicely, plus, if you plan on having another kid, you will have the infant seat to use with them while your oldest is in the convertible (depending on kid-spacing of course).

Oh, and I felt (and still do feel) exactly the way you do about carrying the baby around in the infant seat---blech! HOWEVER, you may find you do use it every once in a while. Quinn is 5 weeks old and we have taken the seat out exactly twice, both times at restaurants, when I sat him right on the chair next to me. He was really cranky and had just calmed down on the way to the restaurant and I KNEW if I took him out of the seat and into the sling he'd wake up and scream again, so I bit the bullet and carried him in in his seat. He slept through the whole meal.
#415 of 1000 Old 05-19-2007, 09:32 PM

Thank you everyone for your input! I can trust you guys to give good advice and know that it's not going to just be the mainstream POV. I decided to register for a low-priced graco infant seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
On carseats:

We actually got one of each, an inexpensive infant seat (Graco something or other for about $70) and a convertible. The infant seat is in my van and the convertible is in DH's coupe. The idea is that Quinn rides in the van 99% of the time, but on rare occasion if he does need to go in DH's car, there is something in there for him to ride in. Then, when it is time, we'll move the convertible into my van.
This is a good idea. I think we'll do this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
To specifically answer your question, I am really glad we have the infant seat--he fits in it so nicely, plus, if you plan on having another kid, you will have the infant seat to use with them while your oldest is in the convertible (depending on kid-spacing of course).

Oh, and I felt (and still do feel) exactly the way you do about carrying the baby around in the infant seat---blech! HOWEVER, you may find you do use it every once in a while. Quinn is 5 weeks old and we have taken the seat out exactly twice, both times at restaurants, when I sat him right on the chair next to me. He was really cranky and had just calmed down on the way to the restaurant and I KNEW if I took him out of the seat and into the sling he'd wake up and scream again, so I bit the bullet and carried him in in his seat. He slept through the whole meal.
Yes, I figure we might actually use the bucket about once a month. I just don't want to get into the habit of it. But I think that would be hard to do since those things are so heavy! :

Had my second baby shower today. There was a "game" we played where everyone wrote down a piece of parenting advice for Dh and I (this was coed) and then read it aloud. I actually agreed with every single one! Of course this was a baby shower that my UU church gave me, so a lot of them tend to think like me. One lady even said, "I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me here, but I think you should have the baby sleep in your bed with you, especially if you're nursing. You won't roll over on it, and it's so much easier." I could have kissed her! I think I've had two people out of a hundred that have told me they think it's a good idea to co-sleep. Oh and one couple got us the Dr. Sears Baby Book. I already have it, but it's so nice to know that I know some like-minded parents! This couple actually just adopted infant twin girls. So someday we'll have to do play dates together. Another lady told us she wished that she had not listened to everyone that told her homebirth was dangerous, and she wishes that she had done it anyway. She thinks it's really cool that we're going to homebirth.

#416 of 1000 Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 AM

hmmm - it's been A LOT of hours since we last heard from Alice. I do hope she's resting blissfully with babe in arms and not still in labor.
Someone guessed 19th May didn't they?

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#417 of 1000 Old 05-20-2007, 01:10 PM

I was worried, so I called Alice.

I talked to a guy named Carlos... not sure who he is. He said Alice, Enrico, and the midwife were out walking around the town to help with the labor.

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#418 of 1000 Old 05-20-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the update TJ! :

Maela, I’m glad to hear Maev is head down and that your shower went well.

I’m : on the carseat conversation.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#419 of 1000 Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightJoy View Post
I was worried, so I called Alice.

I talked to a guy named Carlos... not sure who he is. He said Alice, Enrico, and the midwife were out walking around the town to help with the labor.
Poor Alice. She's having a humongously long labor.
Hoping the baby comes out soon.
#420 of 1000 Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM

How long should I wait before I call again? Honest....

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page