Mothering Forum banner

NMY Graduates love thread

33K views 999 replies 35 participants last post by  cking 
#1 ·

to the NMY Graduates (+ babies) love thread!

See less See more
#752 ·
Fenton rolled over last night!

Quote:

Originally Posted by katt View Post
Acutally, i've read no parenting books. Just going on what seems right.
Yeah, everytime I thumb through a parenting book, I get recommitted to not reading parenting books

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico'sAlice View Post
Isn't Brazelton the one who is (partly) responsible for the current trend of kids not using a potty until they are like 4,5,6? I reall
I'm not sure - the book I was looking through had 3 different babies that he called "Average", "Active", and "slow". It was fairly medical, Doctor-knows-best minded, besides being condescending to the mother of the Slow baby for being aworry-wart. It really pushes my buttons when doctors make mamas feel this way, mostly because I think it's their fault. Oh, and he says that canned milk is as nutritious as non-canned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Can anyone tell me a bit more about UU? I understand the commitment to social justice bit but I don't get how God and Paganism and Atheism all seem to mesh into UU. What is that about?
I think you probably hit on its greatest strength and greatest weakness - it can be as life-affirming and encompassing as tolerance and love can be. It can also fall into the trap of making nothing important by making everything important. The best UU congregations I've seen manage the former, but the worst, the latter. DH and I still laugh about the UU sermon that we heard that basically said "Jesus was a way cool guy. And so was Jerry Garcia." Many UUs I know are from mainline christian denominations and they left in digust. It can make for congregations who "get it" better than most.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosidox View Post
Re UU: Isn't it that the search for God/Truth/Purpose/Whatever is more important than the answer? Kind of like, no matter what one believes, no one really *knows* the answers, and all that we really know is that we are all on this journey together so we should celebrate that. That's my interpretation as a non-UU.
:
Amen, sistah!

#753 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Guess who's son is asleep in his mama's brand new BabyHawk? He's sleeping like an angel in baby carriers and next to mama today. The swing is only getting me a 1-hour nap - I think I'm going to do away with having him nap in it because he's started to wake up crying, whereas he's only a bit disoriented and grumpy when he wakes of in a carrier. It's a hard decision though, because I really crave having that hour to move freely and be an autonomous body. Still, I can't ignore the wisdom of a newborn......
It sounds like you have lots of cool carriers now. Any favorites? Or is each one best suited to a particular use? I'm so glad that Fenton is sleeping in one - that is great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanna4000
Fenton rolled over last night!

: on the UU discussion.

#754 ·
I guess I technically belong to a UU church. I went in one Sunday for a Beltane celebration held by the CUUPs group (Covenant of UU Pagans), and signed the guestbook, which made me a member, I guess. They gave us a welcoming gift. That felt somewhat odd.

Anyway, the few services I've been to have been rather eclectic, and not Jesus-heavy, but I know that changes from parish to parish. But it's never felt like a church I needed to attend regularly, because the message has seemed somewhat superficial.

I like attending CUUPs events, but again, I'm not going to get much out of it except for a sense of community--which may be enough. I don't know.

#755 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jodib View Post
Maela I'm afraid of PP sex too... but then again I'm afraid (somewhat) of pregnancy sex because it never feels right - like there is some swelling etc. inside that makes it uncomfy.... and I'm afraid of getting an infection (cause I'm prone to yeast and uti's) so we only DTD about 4-6 times a month....
This is me! Although, I'm very happy to say that last night I was able to have almost painless sex (and it was romantic
: )! It helped that we spent lots of time before hand cuddling and talking. Sorry if that's TMI, but I am just so pleased!

I have a question for the mamas: How soon before labor did your baby drop? I've heard that usually first time moms' babies drop about 2-4 weeks before birth? My baby still has not dropped, but I'm probably just being impatient as I'm only 37 weeks. Dh and I are just really hoping that she comes on time because Dh starts work again August 9th. So the sooner the better (now that she's term). He wants to be able to spend as much time with her as possible.

Things I love about my UU church: 1.) It's so nice to spend time with like-minded or similar-minded people. Especially when most of our friends and family are much more mainstream and/or conservative than we are. We love our friends and family, but it's really hard to always be the different "weird" ones. 2.) Having a community in which our children (and we) can safely grow spiritually. A place where our children can meet people of all ages and of many religions/beliefs who have the similar moral values as we do. 3.) Our "hymnal" book. It has lots of songs and readings from different religions/cultures/times that I really enjoy reading. 4.) The couple of minutes that we spend in silence during the service (although I wish it were much longer). 5.) Our building
Things that I do not like: 1.) I really wish that there were more younger families at our fellowship. It's nice that we get to know so many older people, but the age diversity is not balanced at all. This is stereotypical, but many of the older members can get grumpy somtimes. 2.) Some of the services are....long, boring, etc. 3.) Most UU's tend to talk a lot. This causes some annoyances.

Every congregation is different though from what I've heard. We've only been members for almost a year. But these are the UU Principles for those who are curious.

#757 ·
Alice, I love the picture of J
. How does DH like EC? Was it difficult to sell him on the idea, or had he already known about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maela View Post
I have a question for the mamas: How soon before labor did your baby drop? I've heard that usually first time moms' babies drop about 2-4 weeks before birth? My baby still has not dropped, but I'm probably just being impatient as I'm only 37 weeks. Dh and I are just really hoping that she comes on time because Dh starts work again August 9th. So the sooner the better (now that she's term). He wants to be able to spend as much time with her as possible.
Maela, congrats on pain-free sex! Woo hoo!!!!! As for dropping, Fenton never did "drop". Unless you count out of me.
And I can tell you, it took a little longer than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cking View Post
It sounds like you have lots of cool carriers now. Any favorites? Or is each one best suited to a particular use? I'm so glad that Fenton is sleeping in one - that is great.
)
We have 4 baby carriers, but one is Brandons. Has "manly" buckles and such, so I don't use it so he doesn't have to keep adjusting. But the rest get used on a daily basis: The Maya wrap, when he wants to be carried for just a short spell or quickly (it's poppable, you don't have to futz with much to get him in). This is also the one I tend to reach for if I know he's tired and wants to go to sleep. Though he falls asleep in the other two as well. The Moby used to be the first one I reached for, but it's getting to be a little warm. I use this one whenever I can though, because it's the most versatile. And regardless of how warm it is, I use this one when I know he wants to face out. And the Mei Tai I got because I wanted one for back carries and one that was a little cooler than the Moby. It was a choice between a new dress for the wedding this weekend or a Mei Tai, so I got the Mei Tai
. I also tend to reach for this one when I'm meeting up with people I think might be interested in babywearing because I think it's so purdy.
:

#759 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Alice

btw, when did you all announce your pregnancy at work? Did you wait til after 3 months? Longer?

I told them when I was throwing up on a very regular basis.

And yes, I'm still here lurking, just enjoying real life too much to find online time to type posts (writing anything is a terribly slow process for me).

#760 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
We have 4 baby carriers, but one is Brandons. Has "manly" buckles and such, so I don't use it so he doesn't have to keep adjusting. But the rest get used on a daily basis: The Maya wrap, when he wants to be carried for just a short spell or quickly (it's poppable, you don't have to futz with much to get him in). This is also the one I tend to reach for if I know he's tired and wants to go to sleep. Though he falls asleep in the other two as well. The Moby used to be the first one I reached for, but it's getting to be a little warm. I use this one whenever I can though, because it's the most versatile. And regardless of how warm it is, I use this one when I know he wants to face out. And the Mei Tai I got because I wanted one for back carries and one that was a little cooler than the Moby. It was a choice between a new dress for the wedding this weekend or a Mei Tai, so I got the Mei Tai
. I also tend to reach for this one when I'm meeting up with people I think might be interested in babywearing because I think it's so purdy.
:
Wow, that has to be the most comprehensive review of baby carriers I've seen yet.
Thanks.
:
And yes, I'd love to see some pics too.

Alice,
that pic!

#761 ·
Guess what I just bought for $11?????

A birth pool (although I'll probably not actually birth in it - just labor in it)... I got it at Kroger in their seasonal aisle! I couldn't believe it was there. A friend of mine gave me the link to one that is sold online - and it was about $30 and I didn't know if I was going to get it or not.... I've been thinking about it for over a month now. Well at my MW homevisit yesterday - both my MW's recommended getting a kiddie pool - so I figured while I was out at the grocery store - I'd check to see if they even carried such things. Here's the link to where I posted all about it on MDC's homebirth page:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...77#post8551477

Just thought some of you might be interested since there are several HB mommas coming up soon! And if you want one - go really soon before they are gone till next summer!

-Jodi

#762 ·
Quote:

Wow, that has to be the most comprehensive review of baby carriers I've seen yet.
Thanks.
:
And yes, I'd love to see some pics too.

Alice,
that pic!
I'll add that I have 2 ring slings, a mei tai, and a new ergo (haven't even used it yet). Happy to answer any questions, but don't have time to give unsolicited reviews

Took Quinn to a farm today for a picnic to support a new group, the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, at the farm that I get my milk, cheese, yogurt, meats, eggs, etc from. The weather wasn't great, so we didn't really walk around the farm at all, but Quinn did great with all the hustle and bustle (400+ people in a tent probably intended for about 250 or so!)

New Quinn pictures coming at you all soon, when I actually have some time. Still owe you all a birth story (hee hee).

#765 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I'll add that I have 2 ring slings, a mei tai, and a new ergo (haven't even used it yet). Happy to answer any questions, but don't have time to give unsolicited reviews

Hey Elizabeth, have you used the Mei Tai with Quinn yet? I'm worried about it spreading Fenton's legs apart too wide. I might go see a chiropracter (anyway) and ask her about it. He doesn't seem uncomfortable when he's in it in the am, but he's fussy anyway in the pm and I keep worrying about how he feels in it. It just doesn't look right.....Katt, any opinions?

#766 ·
Shanna-
no input yet, but I'll ask and see what he says.

Rosidox-
Sorry! I'm really bad about that right now. I do have some 4th. of July photos that I'll be putting up soon. I have some others as well. It all went south when my Desktop (xp pro.) stopped recognizing my external HD. I had taken it off to use on a laptop and when I put it back on the desktop, my desktop didn't know what it was.
So, now i move pics back and forth with other media. PITA is what it is.

#767 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
Hey Elizabeth, have you used the Mei Tai with Quinn yet? I'm worried about it spreading Fenton's legs apart too wide. I might go see a chiropracter (anyway) and ask her about it. He doesn't seem uncomfortable when he's in it in the am, but he's fussy anyway in the pm and I keep worrying about how he feels in it. It just doesn't look right.....Katt, any opinions?
He "sits" in the mei tai indian-style-like. His legs don't go out the sides yet--though they are long! He is already 24 inches at 2.5 months!

#768 ·
My SIL had her baby this morning!! And it's a BOY! We were all so shocked. She'd had two u/s's where they were very sure it was a girl. I know that can happen though... Anyway he is so handsome! They still don't have a name because they were so sure it was a girl. She went into the hospital at about 5AM (4cm dialated) and had him at 7:30AM! No pain meds; though she said she was about ready to ask for something, but it happened too quickly. She had no pain meds with her first baby either.

The dr. gave her an episiotomy without telling her!
: She didn't even know until about an hour after the birth when the nurse said something while she was checking her!

She told us that she doesn't really want to do that again (this is her 2nd), but said she'll probably change her mind in a couple of weeks. I did not need to hear that! So now I'm feeling nervous again. I was hoping that I would go first, so that I wouldn't have to hear things like that!

Now I have 3 nephews!

#771 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
congrats to your family for your new nephew meala.

seems to me, your family is going to be very baby-busy in the coming weeks! that's very cool.

Quote:

Maela, congrats on the birth of your nephew!

Thanks. He is soooo cute!!

Looks like I've dropped a little bit. I measured 36cm today and 38cm last week, and my mw said she feels a bit lower too. I have a little bit of protein, a little bit of blood, and many white blood cells in my urine now (according to the pee sticks). My mw isn't worried though, so I'm thinking everythings okay. I still have no symptoms of a yeast infection...

Last baby shower tomorrow! At least this time my SIL will be with me. Yup, she's going to the shower after just having had the baby two days before. It is just across the street from her house though, so not so bad.

#772 ·
Boy is it quiet around here lately! So I guess I'll just keep
! Hope you don't mind...

My SIL's baby finally has a name. I won't say it here cause I don't think she would like that, but I will say that his middle name is the same as my dh's. He's very happy about that.

The baby shower went well. I got lots of cute clothes (that I don't really need - we have soooo many). Today Dh and I are going to BRU (we did register there
) to get all the things that no one bought from our registry using our gift cards. Mostly books and simple toys that we saw there that we wanted her to have. So after today we'll have everything (and much more
) that we need. And it will all be organized by Wed. probably. What am I going to do now? Just wait....and take lots of naps, walks, and do lots of prenatal yoga.

I'm definitely feeling twinges now near my cervix and starting to waddle more. I'm so excited!
Farmama, PiePie and Jodi how are you all doing?

Oh, one more thing. My yoga teacher had a friend who gave her a stack of Mothering magazines from 2002-04 and said to give them to her students. Since there are only two students, I got a lot!

#773 ·
Way to go, Score on the magazines!

So, yesterday I took LOTS of photos of Teo. I should have some new ones up sometime today. He's SO cute!

He is pretty good at sitting all by himself now.
My baby is growing up! He still tips when he goes too far to one side, but he spent A LOT of time sitting independently yesterday. Mobility isn't too far off. WOW. Time flies when you're having fun.

#774 ·
i too had a baby shower this weekend...we just got back from it (it was out of town) and i am completely overwhelmed by the amount of stuff we have. we have no idea where it is going to go. a lot of it is hand-me-downs from a friend who had 3. she couldn't part with most of her baby clothes (still wants another dc), and all of the "girl" stuff went to her brother (we don't know roo's gender). so we have like 3 garbage bags worth of light blue! i am seriously hyperventilating. remember we live in a 1br apt. omg.

#775 ·
We still have stuff stored, never opened. Every few weeks I'll try and dig out a new toy and put a toy away. But, I'm sure there is stuff in there that I can't use. I know there is stuff in there I won't use (johnsons and johnsons)

My flickr account is updated, so there are some photos of Teo from yesterday! He's getting SO big.

Also, in sad news, Darla passed over the rainbow bridge today. It was SO sad.

#776 ·
I do hope I find a pediatrician I like who is covered by our insurance. we interviewed a ped 2 weeks ago and i really did not like him. the most important "issues" i anticipate the first year concern sleeping and eating. we plan on co-sleeping, which i expect most docs not to approve of, and bf'ing exclusively for the first 6 mos, which i expect most docs to approve of (in light of the official stance of teh AAP). so this guy was cool about co-sleeping, but generally not one to boss parents, so it wasn't like he was a big advocate of it, just sort of laissez-faire. but he warned me against "fetishizing" bfing and disclosed (i didn't ask) that his wife bf'd for only 19 days. oh, and he also said there is no nutritional difference btwn bm and formula for babies living in the developed world. while i agree that formula would be worse if we did not have access to clean water, i did not sense that he woudl be the one to encourage me to keep at it if i were to encounter challenges. this did not concern dh has much, as he is worried that if i have bfing problems i will feel guilt and he wants to protect me from disappointment. so in a sense he agrees with the doc, not on the relative nutritional value, but on the zealousness of my commitment to bfing. he also didn't answer direct questions -- instead he went off on tangents about how great he had been in analogous situations. so we are interviewing another one on thursday, and if we don;t like her i am going to get worried!! postponing worry until then. this guy was recommended by mdc'ers, and the doc we have yet to meet came off a list by my lcoal ap group. all of the other docs there are not covered by dh;s insurance or are far away -- not something we want in a ped. life will be much easier once i go back to work -- i hope i will get better insurance (it's pretty hard to get worse insurance than he has).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.