Guitar or Instrument Playing Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-30-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got an acoustic guitar for Christmas and searched for guitar threads on there and didn't find much.

I was a band geek in high school. Clarinet was my main instrument, I also played trumpet, tenor sax, percussion and did the sound board for jazz choir. I was in the concert choir and both the honor band and honor choir each year... I was on honor roll because of my music class credits. My clarinet is still in Canada and I've wished more than once since we've been in the states that I had brought it with me.

I'm enjoying learning guitar... I have small hands and some chords are difficult but I'm getting there. My sister is going to buy my son a small guitar as a late Christmas gift and I'm hoping I learn enough by spring that we can go play at the park and lure some kids out to play

Does anyone else play guitar? or any other instruments?
#2 of 16 Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 PM

I got a mandolin for Christmas. I have very small hands, and I think this is the perfect size. I have zero rhythm. Must invest in a metronome. So far I can play the rhythm of two kids songs and the melody of one... need to go practice!

Do your fingers hurt? mine are burning from the strings digging into them.
#3 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I should look into a mandolin... I think I'd be moving along faster if I had a smaller string instrument. I can't wait for Kaius to get his because he keeps wanting to play mine while I'm practicing and I can't practice while he's sleeping lol

Yes! My fingers are definitely feeling it... so is my wrist from twisting my hand to make the chords lol - c'mon calluses!

Can you play pretty much anything with a mandolin? Is it six strings? Can you use guitar music to play it?
#4 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 06:08 PM

Hi mamas! I play the fiddle, guitar and mandolin! I've played the fiddle for 17 years and I love it! My brother plays the guitar and mandolin and he gave me a Martin guitar for Christmas last year! I mostly play back up guitar, but I do a little picking too. Mandolin has 8 strings but they are doubled up. 2 Es 2 As 2Ds 2Gs. It has the same fingering as the fiddle, but you play it with a pick. I mostly play bluegrass and old time fiddle music with some Texas style, jazz, swing, classical and rock mixed in! My family is very musical and growing up we played together as a band and traveled around CA and OR playing events. It was really fun. My brother, mom and I have a little band and we've played a few gigs. We're hoping to get more.
I really want to play the guitar more, I just can't seem to find the time. (Maybe I shouldn't spend so much time on MDC! )

Oh, and your fingers should toughen up in a week or two, if you play a bunch!
#5 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I play the viola. So can I teach myself the fiddle, cfiddlinmama? I bought one book of fiddlin tunes for the viola, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I can probably get a violin from somewhere. My dad had one for many years as he sort of played the fiddle, guitar, mandolin, banjo, piano. He was self taught, played by ear and I think the mandolin was his best instrument. I play by ear fairly well.
#6 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just found this on iTunes - http://iplaymusic.blogspot.com/ (that's the website) so you'll have to search for it on iTunes. It's great! I've been watching and practicing with it for about 45 minutes. It's a video tutorial. I think I scored because it's supposed to be a DVD... but it's all free... I think they considered it a podcast on iTunes. They even have a series of 4 or 5 videos that teach you to play the song 'The Wheels on the Bus'.

I'll be looking for more in iTunes

A Viola is the stand up one that smaller than a bass right? I always wanted to play one of those! Violins too... classical tho... I'm not a big country fan, though that's slowly changing lol

cfiddlinmama - I wish! My family is not musical at all! I'm not sure I have enough confidence to play in a band anymore lol - it's been so long! I need lots of practice before that happens lol

I think our neighbors downstairs play something too... it might be percussion though - latin music... I actually gave them some cookies as a Holiday gift and included a little note asking if anyone played because it sounds like live music and added that I got a guitar for Christmas. I'm hoping they answer, even if it's just to satisfy my curiosity.
#7 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 07:17 PM

I started out playing violin , then guitar and now bass guitar. There are many sites for music. I use tabs because they are super easy to read. If you type ''guitar tabs' into your Yahoo or whatever the list is endless. You can also do this with specific songs or bands. Any other Q's feel free to PM me.
#8 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM

guitar mama here! Need more time to practice...and a decent guitar. I enjoy rhythm, fingerpicking, but my lead playing is terrible I enjoy playing from a range of music genres. I started at 14, my brilliant self-taught father taught me.
#9 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

It's hard to find guitar tabs free online anymore because they are all being sued or threatened with a suit because of copyright infringement type complaints... :
#10 of 16 Old 12-31-2006, 10:16 PM

I used to be a viola player (until a repetitive strain injury when I was in high school ended my chances of a professional career).

I took guitar lessons a few years ago and would love to get back to it when I have the time. I learned a bit but could use more instruction (and my teacher was pretty dreamy too).

I also taught myself how to play the penny whistle and I got a whistle chanter for my last birthday so I'm trying to learn the fingerings to play uilleann pipes before I invest in a whole set. (Very $$$)
#11 of 16 Old 01-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
A Viola is the stand up one that smaller than a bass right? I always wanted to play one of those! Violins too... classical tho... I'm not a big country fan, though that's slowly changing lol
No, a viola is larger than a violin, but held under the chin in the same way. Violins have a string a 5th higher than violas. G below middle C is the lowest string, then it goes up in fifths to D, A and E. Violas have a C below middle C as the lowest string and go up in fifths to G, D and A. Cello is the one that has an end pin that sits on the floor and has the same strings as a viola, but an octave lower.

I would like to learn to play the cello, but I want to learn the piano and I think I might concentrate on that. I used to play a viola da gamba in college--the tenor viol--and I'd really like to get one of those at some point. Maybe this can be the year I start doing stuff I want to do.
#12 of 16 Old 01-01-2007, 05:20 PM

HEy.. I play guitar ...I started 10 years ago. I have written many songs and used to play out a lot in high school. I had my daughter pretty young(20) and she would always scream and cry and was really jealouse of the guitar when I would sit down to play. SHe is better about it now, and will go get an instument to play along with me. I have only written about 4 songs since my daughter was born.(5yrs ago)
I am attending art school and have an addiction for knitting, so my music has been pushed to the back burner.
My husband is a dummer and a chronic music freak. I think he really missed the days when we would play music together. Or our carefree day when we would get together with our friends out in the woods and play drums by a fire...sigh.
I am hoping to get back into it after i graduate this summer. I also have a banjo that I would love to learn..and i want a hurdy gurdy.
I am so jealouse of the fiddle players...ahhh. I would love to play, but I feel like I missed the boat on that one...seems most people start as a kid, The fiddle always brings tears to my eyes. I would give up all my other talents to play bluegrass fiddle like a motha'^&*%$. sigh

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#13 of 16 Old 01-06-2007, 04:40 AM

Hey mamas!

I started playing the mandolin 2 years ago, although I took some time off in the middle when ds was born. Dh is same level guitarist and we have a bunch of drums and percussion instruments.

Dh used to have the same problem with ds being jealous of the guitar. It would make dh SO mad b/c he only had a few opportunities to play a day and ds would freak out. Now he is better and will sit up on the piano and bang keys and swing his head around like a rockstar

My fingers are calloused now but I found it tough at first to break through. I would get blisters...yuck. I started taping the raw fingers with a little medical tape until they blisters turned into callouses.

I also sign ds up for music together which is SO FUN! I love it! and i learn stuff that i didn't as a kid and all of the sudden I go....ooohhhh...that is a 7th beat! Our teacher gives us great ideas on how to incorporate music with simple games at home.

Well, happy music making!
#14 of 16 Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 PM

Our landlord left behind a small generic guitar here and the other night I changed a string on it (dead and flat) and tinkered a bit...I think I'm gonna change all of the strings and have my goal be to be (somewhere b/t school and four kids and dh and learning to knit oh my mdc addiction ) to build back up my callouses and win back dexterity, and try to remember how at least one dang song went! :
#15 of 16 Old 01-06-2007, 12:54 PM

Viola, you should definately be able to teach yourself fiddle! Piece of cake! http://alltabs.com is a good site. They have lots of guitar and some fiddle tabs. All ranges of skills. Mostly intermediate level though.

I mostly play by ear. I was never taught to read notes. I taught myself about 10 years ago and got pretty good. Then I got married and had 4 kids and never got a chance to play. I too had the jealousy thing with my kids. I would be so frustrated I would want to cry. Now it's much better. I just kinda gave up for a while. I would get half way through a song and have had 5 interruptions. It drove me crazy! I have to relearn how to read notes again. I teach, so I'm learning with my students. I also have to learn music theory. I just instinctively know what works, but I can't tell you in words why it does!

My brother and I just got an offer to do a 30 min live set on local television. I think it would be awesome! A good way to get some publicity. We are playing for a local dance on the 13th too. Yippee!

If you can read notes, there's a great book called the Fiddler's Fakebook. It's got hundreds of songs.

My idol (well not really an idol, just can't think of a better word) and inspiration is Mark O'Connor. http://markoconnor.com He's the best. I absolutely love his music. I'm in the process of learning a bunch of his songs.

Oh, and bluegrass ain't Country! I'm not a Country fan anymore at all. I listen to the likes of Mark O'Connor, Bela Fleck, Jerry Douglas, Chris Thile, Alison Krausse, etc etc etc! I also listen to Grateful Dead, Metallica and a whole lotta others but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet!

Can you tell I love music? : Keep practicing mamas!
#16 of 16 Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Oh forgot...my kids would get really jealous of my guitar by the time they were toddlers. By the time my third was born I was going months at a time w/o picking up and playing. When the kids were in bed I was too worn out. My buddy had the same problem when his son got older as well. It was so bad he let me borrow his guitar b/c he couldn't get a strum in edgewise

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page