Not Mamas...YET(NMY's)!!...Part VI (January 2007) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not Mamas...Yet - Part VI (January 2007)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shamelessy copied from last month's intro post (which was also shamelessly copied from previous NMY threads):

: :

Iaorana! As-salaamu `alaykum! Merhaba! Γεια σου! Ãyubõván! Jambo! Hola! Boa tarde! Ciao! Guten Tag! Bonjour! Magandang Hapon Po! Selamat petang! Konnichiwa!

Hello! Returning members, glad you made it over, hope the trip wasn't too hard. Just put your feet up and relax for a while. We've got organic lemonade, coffee (regular and Swiss-water-process decaf), pastured raw milk, kombucha, whatever you're into. (No EBM available...yet. Sorry.)

Newbies! We are sooo excited you're here. We hope you stay a while and never leave... unless it is b/c you become a mama. Of course there are a few long-time thread members who are now pregnant and we haven't managed to kick them off yet so there's really no good reason why you can't stay here for the. rest. of. your. life. (Did that come across as a little too intense?)

Anyway, this thread was originally started to give those of us who are not yet parents a forum here at MDC to discuss the unique concerns of those who are into Natural Family Living and excited about AP but don't have any munchkins to apply these concepts to...yet. (Although some of us have furbabies and/or young family members, students, etc that we are involved with.)

As I mentioned, a few of us have gotten pregnant while here, others are TTC now, some in the next few years, some of us aren't even close. We've also had the occasional visitor that is a "Not Mama...EVER", i.e. male nannies and such. We're happy to have all y'all!

The original thread was started waaaay back in November of 2002. We will all miss it dearly but at 2500 posts we feared it was becoming intimidating to new members. In September we began Not Mamas Yet II and the thread went mad. In less than a month we tallied well over 1000 posts and gained several new very active members. October brought another rapidly moving thread and the launch of a NMY offshoot thread in the fitness and weight management forum...and we still want more!!!

So here we are. And here you are. Let the party begin! :

Thread History

NMY Graduates Love Thread

Part V - December 2006

Part IV - November 2006

Part III - October 2006

Part II - September 2006

Part I - November 2002 to August 2006

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BL thanks for the January thread! Oh wow, it only hit me right now that it it January already! Time flies by so fast sometimes. Anyway...

Shanna: so sorry about your chicken!
I really like your siggy too, but I always do.

Christina: :

Jodi: How long have you been living where you are now for? Why did you settle down there? Why do you want to move now?

Spacing: The first is so far away for me, and there are so many unknowns (including the father, where I'll be, what I'll be doing, financial stability, etc. etc. - actually, I don't know anything really, other than I want a child before I turn 30 - I'd like one when I'm 28 though) that I have no idea. I think I'll only make up my mind after I have my first anyway, and I'll probably only start thinking about it when I'm in a serious relationship - or decide that I'll become a single mother by choice, if there is no man in my life when the chosen age comes nearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
Oh no you're not! (unless a miracle occurrs and I find a suitable man sometime in the next year.... and what ever type of TTA method I use in the early days fails. ) I'll be here for at least several more years!
Kind of same for me, but I do hope that whatever TTA method I use won't fail in the next year. I want a baby, but I'm really not ready - I'd totally have to rethink my life and all my plans would have to be changed :. So... I'll probably be here till 2013/14 or so.

Quote:
Oh, way to make me feel guilty! I just bought a premium membership... the one including a subscription. And I TOTALLY can't afford it. But I love mags (esp. mothering), and reading in general. and I'm completely incapable of resisting a good deal
I'm considering getting one too. But I'm not sure yet. If I do, I would feel bad about the money for sure. But I've been in a buying mood lately - happens about 2 - 3 times a year for me, and then I go the rest of the year without buying much.

Quote:
I head about that before! Totally weird! One thing I would worry about is if the milk would still be the same nutritionally... and would it change as the baby got older, provide the same important anti-bodies, etc.?
ETA: I really like that it's possible for transgener/gay/queer parents! I think I'll spread that info among all my friends!
In the film the woman in the bathtub (why was she in a bathtub, anyway? ) said that male milk has a higher concentration of protein, especially male colostrum. But I don't think that many studies have been made about male lactation. It's so weird. But somehow cool too. And I'm thinking... even if the father won't lactate - when dad's have to take care of baby and the mother isn't around, they could still use a SNS and let baby nurse - right (If nips not too hairy )? Do you ladies think that's too weird?
I think it sounds like a brilliant idea .
Old 01-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Happy New Year (or, as my niece says, "Happy Old Year!")!

I've been reading, and I really wish I had something to say, but my poor, addled mind can't think straight. I'm really tired of being sick. : I was just starting to feel better when I woke up at 4 in the afternoon yesterday with a very impressive fever. Now, I'm trying to remember something anyone has written so that I can comment, but I'm drawing a blank. Back to sleep for me.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...

Please PM me if you want your information added, updated, or changed. I may not be able to keep changes updated based solely on what you post in the thread.

Graduates
Katt, age 29 - mama to : Teotimo since 12/27/06

Pregnant
Shanna4000
Holiztic, age 27
BeccaBear, age 27
Rico's Alice, age 26
Turtle81, age 25
Maela, age 25
lilduds, age 29
farmama, age 29
PiePie, age 35
arelyn, age 24
ATD_Mom, age 32
hazieluna, age 35

TTC Currently
cking, age 30
fibre_artist
Greenegirl, age 32
mosesface, age 26
Noorjahan, age 27

TTC Early 2007: Jan-Apr
firecat, age 29
pryncess, age 25

TTC Mid 2007: May-Aug
DvlDg, age 23
GathererGirl, age 26
Jessper44, age 27
joshs_girl, age 28
OneKnight, age 20
Sihaya, age 23
snozzberry, age 28
wateraddict

TTC Late 2007: Sept-Dec
sphinxie
witchygrrl, age 28

TTC 2008
Angelorum
binkin, age 27
peridot83, age 23
rosidox
zoebird, age 30

TTC 2009 & Beyond
BrownLioness
Charliemae, age 19
futuremamaheather, age 33
Just_Isabel, age 21
Lambsauce, age 17
soygurl, age 21
SweetAfton, age 20

Not Sure Yet
crunchycanadian, age 18
Kylix, age 24
MelanieMC, age 21
MsHelena, age 22

Hey baby...what's your sign?

Capricorn
farmama

Aquarius
greenegirl
Just_Isabel
Katt
Sihaya
snozzberry

Pisces
Holiztic
MsHelena
pryncess
rosidox

Aries
Angelorum
Jessper44
Noorjahan
Rico'sAlice
Shanna4000
turtle81

Taurus
binkin
firecat
wateraddict
witchygrrl

Gemini
Maela

Cancer
GathererGirl
hazieluna
mosesface
PiePie
Zoebird

Leo
Charliemae
cking
peridot83
SweetAfton

Virgo
none!

Libra
BeccaBear
BrownLioness
lilduds
MelanieMC

Scorpio
none!

Sagittarius
soygurl
sphinxie

Birthdays

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Old 01-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemae View Post
Yes, I know, that's why I said my spacing "plan" is for only if I can't convince DBF. He's very concerned we wont have enough money for more then one or two DC.
I'm so sorry. That was totally my mistake. I was reading through quickly and read that your plan was only if you could convince your BF to be quiverfull. oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
I'm sorry I've been MIA - I'll be back soon. On Friday evening, one of my chickens was killed by some type of predator, and I haven't been very chatty . I feel so sad.
Shanna, I'm sorry about your chicken. The chicken I had as a pet as a child was killed by a fox and I was devastated.

Quote:
Oh, way to make me feel guilty! I just bought a premium membership... the one including a subscription. And I TOTALLY can't afford it. But I love mags (esp. mothering), and reading in general. and I'm completely incapable of resisting a good deal
No guilt here! At least you have someone you can share you sub with, right? We're also doing the simplifying/decluttering thing so it's better not to have our own magazine subscriptions coming into the house. DH has trouble getting rid of things (even MY things!), so it's better just to borrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
I'm considering getting one too. But I'm not sure yet. If I do, I would feel bad about the money for sure.
I wanted to buy a membership for a while and was waiting until after the holidays. However, once the pink names came out, I changed my mind. I HATE pink and those names are way too bright and hurt my brain to look at. If I did get a membership, it would be one without a mag subscription for now. Sharing one appeals to me on so many different levels, so I'll keep doing that as long as I can.

Thanks, BL, for the new thread!

Our New Year's Eve was so uneventful. We went to a dinner party, ate, hung out for a while, were having an okay time. But DH felt sick and I just felt out of it, so we left early and were in bed asleep by 10pm.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I wanted to buy a membership for a while and was waiting until after the holidays. However, once the pink names came out, I changed my mind. I HATE pink and those names are way too bright and hurt my brain to look at.
You can keep your name blue, just as it is now.
I like pink. : I really like the color pink, actually. I'd prefer the name not to be bold, though.

About sharing the mag - I don't have anyone to share it with. Actually, I don't think I'll get it because I already subscribe to one mag (about the brain and psychology and the likes ) and I'm very far away from TTC and MDC already gets so much of my time anyway. But the subscription + level III membership seem so cheap for me - one mag costs about $8, right? And the year sub + membership would cost €31 (including shipping! probably), I think. That's crazy cheap, and you ladies talking about the articles make me want to read them too because they sound so interesting and informative. Ah well.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 PM

Happy New Year everyone!

Shanna, I'm so sorry to hear about your chicken. Do you have any ideas about how it could have happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl
Yes, I'm planing on getting a stroller, but a pretty cheap one, and I don't plan on using it much at all. If all goes as planed, I'll be living in pretty big city (hopefully seattle ) and because of my fibromyalgia I don't think I'll be able to babywear quite as much as I think would be ideal. :
All you can do is what you can do. (btw, I loved the article about guilt in the new Mothering. I think I will re-read it when we start TTC, as I tend to feel guilty about a lot of things.)

So yesterday I developed a new obsession. It's called LibraryThing. You list the books you own and/or are reading, then you can see people with similar "libraries" and the system gives you recommendations based on what you like and what other people who like the same things also enjoyed in similar categories.

Caveat: It's free to enter 200 books. It's $10 for a year subscription if you want to enter more than 200, or $25 for a lifetime subscription.

The part I'm really excited about is the "groups" feature where you can join a group of other people with a similar interest as you. For example, there's a Mothering.com group! Then you can see the most commonly shared books among your group. And it's also an easy way to get to reviews that other group members have written about books they've read. I've been wanting something like this for a long time so I can see what other MDCers think about certain parenting books I'm considering reading!

So I spent all day yesterday cataloging my books and transferring over my list of books read for 2006. I had SO much fun! (Yes, I am a dork.)

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsHelena View Post
I've been reading, and I really wish I had something to say, but my poor, addled mind can't think straight. I'm really tired of being sick. : I was just starting to feel better when I woke up at 4 in the afternoon yesterday with a very impressive fever. Now, I'm trying to remember something anyone has written so that I can comment, but I'm drawing a blank. Back to sleep for me.
Aw, s: Feel better soon!

Quote:
No guilt here! At least you have someone you can share you sub with, right?
Oooo! That's a good point! I hadn't even thought of it...

Quote:
Quote:
I wanted to buy a membership for a while and was waiting until after the holidays. However, once the pink names came out, I changed my mind. I HATE pink and those names are way too bright and hurt my brain to look at. If I did get a membership, it would be one without a mag subscription for now. Sharing one appeals to me on so many different levels, so I'll keep doing that as long as I can.
You can keep your name blue, just as it is now.
I like pink. : I really like the color pink, actually. I'd prefer the name not to be bold, though.
: You actually have to change it to pink; it's not automatic. And you can change back which I might do because pink isn't really one of my favorite colors (I much prefer purple and blue ). I would be happier if it wasn't bold...:

Quote:
About sharing the mag - I don't have anyone to share it with. Actually, I don't think I'll get it because I already subscribe to one mag (about the brain and psychology and the likes ) and I'm very far away from TTC and MDC already gets so much of my time anyway. But the subscription + level III membership seem so cheap for me - one mag costs about $8, right? And the year sub + membership would cost €31 (including shipping! probably), I think. That's crazy cheap, and you ladies talking about the articles make me want to read them too because they sound so interesting and informative. Ah well.
Do you mind if I ask where you live? You're saying that each issue is about $8 for you? Here it's around $6 at the store (I think...?), and I guess it works out to $5.something with a subscription. Still crazy expensive for a magazine...:
Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Hey, at least you can buy it in stores around where you live... I've looked everywhere I can think of that sells magazines, and it's nowhere to be found :
not that I'd be able to buy it anyway, my mother would throw a fit upon seeing it
Speaking of babymaking.... hope everyone had a good New Year's. I spent the evening with DBf... we flipped through about seven different celebrations on the tv, eventually settling on Times Square, and went to bed pretty much the second the ball hit the bottom some teenagers we are.

for Shanna... I'm sorry to hear about your loss :
Old 01-01-2007, 02:51 PM

Happy New Year ladies!! When did midnight get to feel so late? We used to stay up that late all the time. This year it seemed like an eternity.

SHanna: Sorry about the chicken.

Male lactation: I think this is kinda cool, though undoubtable weird. On one page talking about it they had an article on a man in Sri Lanka who lost his wife if the Tsunami and after praying for a miracle to feed his children (hoping for a wetnurse I suppose) he started lactating and nursed them for a long time (he probably still is, BFing Sri Lankans keep it up until the child is at least three).

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
Old 01-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Jodi: How long have you been living where you are now for? Why did you settle down there? Why do you want to move now?
*We have been here 6 years now, and moved here really because it was where the jobs were at the time. We wanted to be near family always, but there were no jobs in MI at the time, so we moved to GA and lived near my mom for a year - and absolutely hated it in suburban Atlanta. So I decided that I'd go to VA where there was a university that had a good graduate progam that I was interested in. We thought about living here for only a couple years while I worked full time and got my masters on weekends and summers - but at the job fair I went to, there were no jobs in the city where the university was - and I was offered another job 3 hours from the university in another city - so I took the job out of default.

We liked it here the first 3 years or so - and we bought a house though this special housing program - and figured that we'd just stay - although we constantly talked about moving back to MI, or nearer some other relatives.... And now the city in VA where we live is getting too expensive. It was ranked the "best place to live in america" in some magazine - and several celebrities live here as well - so all of the average hourly workers are being forced out quickly - and we don't want to live where there are only people from "well to do" families with private neighborhoods.....

Also we are quiet people - and environmentally conscious - and we are literally surrounded by people with 4-wheeler recreational vehicles, shotguns, dirtbikes, and this is a very religious RED state - which also makes us feel rather uncomfortable. (and those 4wheeler - gun weilding people are aged 11-75... so they are everywhere - 2 houses down even..)
So now that we are having a baby in 6-7 months, we feel even less safe here (won't want to take the kid on walks in our own woods for fear of getting shot) and we know we would need the help and support of family & friends.
(Friends is a whole other story - those we have made end up being temporary residents - and those that are permanent residents think we are crazy/weird for recycling all the time, composting, buying organic, etc....)

-Oh and since we do own our home, if we were to sell and try to get away from some of the "red-neck" types that we are surrounded by and move to another part of this city - we couldn't afford a new house anywhere else around here - since a basic 1000sqft. ranch sells for well over $230,000..... and with our one income household - there's no way we could get a mortgage for that much - even with a $10,000 or $20,000 downpayment from the sale of our current house.

Sorry that was long - but you asked...

Shanna So sorry about your chicken :

Christina I hope this is your Month!!! goodluck!

-Jodi
Old 01-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
So yesterday I developed a new obsession. It's called LibraryThing. You list the books you own and/or are reading, then you can see people with similar "libraries" and the system gives you recommendations based on what you like and what other people who like the same things also enjoyed in similar categories.

Caveat: It's free to enter 200 books. It's $10 for a year subscription if you want to enter more than 200, or $25 for a lifetime subscription.
I absolutely adore LibraryThing! I wanted to subscribe (we have about 1000 books right now), but DH doesn't think it's worth it. So, instead, I am entering 200 books at a time, then copy and pasting the info into a spreadsheet so we have a record of all of our books (it's one of my 101 in 1001 goals). I am sad about missing out on the community part of it, but that alone isn't worth $10-$25 to me.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask where you live? You're saying that each issue is about $8 for you? Here it's around $6 at the store (I think...?), and I guess it works out to $5.something with a subscription. Still crazy expensive for a magazine...:
I thought it was about $8... I don't really know why anymore. I live in europe, so no mothering here unless I subscribe.
I agree that $5 (€3,8) is a lot for a normal magazine, but the mag I subscribe too costs about €8 ($10,6) if I buy it each month at a store, but I pay much less with the student yearly subscription. I think the price is so high because it's scientific and stuff... so I thought maybe Mothering also has its reason to be more expensive than the normal gossip/beauty mags.

Jodi: (I went back to read your posts about moving again.) It is a tough decision you have to make... have you talked to your MIL about this? How well do you get along with her? How open to crunchy is she? What does your gut tell you?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I thought it was about $8... I don't really know why anymore. I live in europe, so no mothering here unless I subscribe.
I agree that $5 (€3,8) is a lot for a normal magazine, but the mag I subscribe too costs about €8 ($10,6) if I buy it each month at a store, but I pay much less with the student yearly subscription. I think the price is so high because it's scientific and stuff... so I thought maybe Mothering also has its reason to be more expensive than the normal gossip/beauty mags.
Yeah, I figured you were somewhere in europe because of the euro symbol but I understand if you aren't comfortable giving more info than that... I'm just nosey. :
I think part of the reason Mothering is so expensive is because it's a fairly small publication, and it seems that the smaller the publication, the more expensive the cost.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:51 PM

If you stalk my posts you could probably find where I am . At the beginning I did write about it, but I'd rather not anymore, because I'm paranoid like that. : (I'd be extremely easy to identify by anyone who knows me.)

I think with Mothering, another factor that is probably driving the price up, is that they don't advertise the kind of stuff most parenting mags do (formula, etc.). - And a mag's income comes mainly from ads, or so I hear.

Question for the single girls (there is only 4 of us, hehe, but now I feel less alone in that aspect): is finding a partner a goal for you for the new year?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:51 PM

BL- Thank you SOOO much for starting the new thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
Well... I would love to be a midwife, but the more I've thought about having children the more I've realized that I don't think it's right for me. I really want to be a SAHM and homeschool when the time comes, so midwifery would not work with that at all. Who knows, maybe I'll go the traditional midwifery route and become one after my children are grown! For now cosmetology fits my life and it's something I think I can be good at and once I have a family it's something I can return to at any time if the need arises ($ wise).
That makes sense. Even doing cosmetology you have more of an option to do it at home. My aunt used to have an little in home salon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wateraddict View Post
Maybe you shouldn't tell us what you are making and just let us guess .
On that note, I went to Joanns yesturday to buy patterns, I got 4 for 8$! I didn't know this, but most of the patterns I looked at were in the 15-16$ range. I got lucky becuase it turned out they were having a sale so they were only two dollars each when I was there.

Then I had to go buy a book that is supposed to teach me how to read the crazy things
Quote:
I'm so sorry. That was totally my mistake. I was reading through quickly and read that your plan was only if you could convince your BF to be quiverfull. oops!
That's okay I thought it was probably just a miscommunication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambsauce View Post
hope everyone had a good New Year's. I spent the evening with DBf... we flipped through about seven different celebrations on the tv, eventually settling on Times Square, and went to bed pretty much the second the ball hit the bottom some teenagers we are.
That sounds almost exactly like what DBF and I did! Except we were sitting in bed reading when I looked at the clock and thought maybe we could catch the spaceneedle. We ended up seeing time square, and then feel alseep right after.

Now I'm sick : I have this awful head cold and it's driving me crazy, which is why I'm on here and not sleeping in like I wanted too. :

Shanna- Sorry to hear about your chicken. My favorite Chicken was killed by my dog when I was younger. :

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
If you stalk my posts you could probably find where I am . At the beginning I did write about it, but I'd rather not anymore, because I'm paranoid like that. : (I'd be extremely easy to identify by anyone who knows me.)
That's what I figured, and I totaly understand! But since you gave me that handy little hint, and I'm like a cat (curiosity kills me: )....
Quote:
I think with Mothering, another factor that is probably driving the price up, is that they don't advertise the kind of stuff most parenting mags do (formula, etc.). - And a mag's income comes mainly from ads, or so I hear.
I see your point about the adds, and I guess the things mother has adds for probably wouldn't bring in as much income as formula adds, etc. They DO have a LOT of adds. I think that's the only thing I don't like about it.
Quote:
Question for the single girls (there is only 3 of us, hehe, but now I feel less alone in that aspect): is finding a partner a goal for you for the new year?
YES! Not nessarly a permenent partner (though that would certainly be fine : )... but I've been single for FAR too long!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
YES! Not nessarly a permenent partner (though that would certainly be fine : )... but I've been single for FAR too long!
I feel your pain. I'm getting very tired of being single.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post

So I spent all day yesterday cataloging my books and transferring over my list of books read for 2006. I had SO much fun! (Yes, I am a dork.)
Me too!! I read about it in the books & TV section and went to check it out. It's really cool! I made up a little library to start with, and eventually I'll get around to adding more. I did join the MDC group, which is think was a fabulous idea (my librarything name is aychje)

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Question for the single girls (there is only 3 of us, hehe, but now I feel less alone in that aspect): is finding a partner a goal for you for the new year?
YES!!! And like Soygurl, it's been WAAAAAAYYYYYY too long - I'd be happy with a first date that doesn't suck, at this point. Which isn't to say that I'd turn away a longterm/permanant relationship... but I'm feeling like keeping my expectations realistic is important.

We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

Old 01-01-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremamaheather View Post
YES!!! And like Soygurl, it's been WAAAAAAYYYYYY too long - I'd be happy with a first date that doesn't suck, at this point. Which isn't to say that I'd turn away a longterm/permanant relationship... but I'm feeling like keeping my expectations realistic is important.
Heather that was your 50th post! : :

I know what you mean. It's really hard to balance our ideal wants with our realistic choices, not just when it comes to partners. Right now I'm in a confused space because I really don't know how much of my "ideal characteristics" (can't think of a better way to describe it) I should give up / where to compromise.
Mainly, I'm trying to follow my gut and not think too much about all of this though.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Wowso guys, all I wanna do is sub to the new thread and wow.....'course I DID sleep in quite a bit. lol

I'm a bit PO'd this weekend. We got a bill from the internet company on Friday saying the last mont (December) is past due. I wrote a check to them on 12/21 and it hasn't been cashed yet. I knew I was sending it a little late for the 12/26 due date (whose idea was that anyay? due date right after a huge mail holiday?), but I hoped it would get there by now!!! I keep hoping these holidays will get over and things will move at the bank.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM

Happy New Year Everyone!

Oh Shanna, I'm so sorry about your chicken. We lost one of ours this last week too, but she was anciently old (she's been molting with no new feathers since this spring) and we expected that she wouldn't make it much longer. Did something break into your coop?

Our evening was fun...we got to tell some friends about the sprout, and they were really excited. it was good that we told them, because by 11:30 i was asleep on their couch

dh finally woke me up, we drove home and i sat in front of the toilet for twenty minutes, waiting to stop salivating and just THROW UP already.(sorry, tmi, but how irritating is it to be sick at 2 am?!) feeling much better this morning though.

Busy mama of
Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Heather that was your 50th post! : :
Hehehe I did it! Yay me!!

Quote:
I know what you mean. It's really hard to balance our ideal wants with our realistic choices, not just when it comes to partners. Right now I'm in a confused space because I really don't know how much of my "ideal characteristics" (can't think of a better way to describe it) I should give up / where to compromise.
Mainly, I'm trying to follow my gut and not think too much about all of this though.
I know what you mean - it's like there's a laundry list of ideals to look for in a potential partner or in life itself. Sometimes it's really hard to know what are real must haves and what are "wow, that'd be nice"s.

Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty good about following my gut on stuff. I often can't quite explain WHY my gut is leading me to do/not do something, I just trust that when "something" is making my skin crawl, or making me not able to think about anything else until I act on a situation, that there's a darn good reason for that.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Happy new year future mamas. I'm new to the board and this thread.
As is obvious I don't yet have any children, but so so longing for them.
I'm 21 (DP is 23) and a full time student. Me and the boy don't like together officially yet (although virtually do, just between two houses). I finish University in May 2008 and hopefully we will move into a lovely house in the country straight after that. So were planning on TTC end off 2007/early 2008, I have a chance to finish this degree and we can get save some money together and find our perfect home. But that all said I'm incredibly inpatient about it all, and a year seems so long to wait.

So hello to all you lovely people
Old 01-01-2007, 06:07 PM

OneKnight: that is an "unsmart" due date. I'm glad I just let my internet/ phone / pretty much everything providers book the money off my bank account. That way I don't have to do anything to pay the bills, they do it themselves.

How long does a chicken usually live?

Heather: ITA with what you said, especially the gut part. My only problem is that the gut won't communicate with me 24/7. So sometimes I have to use my brain instead, but the brain isn't as reliable, and tends to overthink and make me all :. Bad brain.
It's funny, sometimes I can't ignore what my intuition/gut is telling me, but other times it will be silent. I don't know why... and I don't really have a say on when the intuition speaks, all I can do is try to listen when it does.

ETA:
Welcome Cx!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I hear ya on that one! I'd happily settle for a non-horible first date too!:

Quote:
I know what you mean - it's like there's a laundry list of ideals to look for in a potential partner or in life itself. Sometimes it's really hard to know what are real must haves and what are "wow, that'd be nice"s.

Sometimes I feel like I'm pretty good about following my gut on stuff. I often can't quite explain WHY my gut is leading me to do/not do something, I just trust that when "something" is making my skin crawl, or making me not able to think about anything else until I act on a situation, that there's a darn good reason for that.
: too! I've also got a pretty strong "vibe o'meter" for people, but I don't have much of a clue what kind of guy I'm looking for (other than "I get a good vibe from him"). Or maybe I do and I'm just too picky... How do I get less picky? And do I really want too?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:27 PM

NMY Birthdays!!!

snozzberry … 2/9/1978
greengirl ... Karen ... 2/9
Sihaya … Steph … 2/12/1983
pryncess … Whitney … 3/2/1981
rosidox ... Jonna ... 03/13/77
Jessper44 … Jess … 4/4/1979
Lambsauce … Allie … 4/7/1989
Rico'sAlice … Alice … 4/9/1980
Noorjahan … 4/12/1979
oneKnight ... 4/14/86
Shanna4000 … 4/14
Binkin ... 5/4\
witchygrrl ... 5/12/1978
Piepie ... 6/27
arelyn ... 7/4/1982
GathererGirl ... Victoria ... 7/15/1980
peridot83 ... Arielle ... 8/3
cking … Christina … 8/4/1976
Charliemae … Charlene … 8/14/1987
lilduds … Jodi 10/5/1977
BeccaBear … Rebecca … 10/10/1979
ATD_Mom … Kristin … 10/11/1974
BrownLioness … 10/16/1979
MelanieMC … Melanie … 10/18/1985
jebandkaci … Kaci … 11/8/1981
soygurl ... Kelsie ... 11/27/85

Please PM me (Afton) if you would like to update your birthday. Click here for the PM link.

Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner, ladies. I went to a great New Year's party and then spent the night at DBf's house last night. I didn't get back up to school until a little bit ago.

Happy New Year to you all! I'm only on page 64 of the old thread, I think, so I'm going to go read and post. This thread will probably be on page 4 by then!

It's 2007!
: :
Old 01-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
: too! I've also got a pretty strong "vibe o'meter" for people, but I don't have much of a clue what kind of guy I'm looking for (other than "I get a good vibe from him"). Or maybe I do and I'm just too picky... How do I get less picky? And do I really want too?
I think that is the all important question.

Sometimes I also think that I am too picky, and when I ask myself if I should maybe make an effort to be less picky, I tend to feel that instead of expecting less from a future partner, I should work harder on myself to make myself "better" / closer to the person I want to be, and closer to the kind of person the kind of partner I want would want. Does that make sense to you?

Hence my bunches of goals that I'm going to start setting for myself next week (when my life returns to "normal"). They include: exercising regularly (both for the fitness and to lose weight), eat healthier, work harder for university (so if I do end up being single in 6 - 7 years I'll be in a position to be a single mother by choice if I feel that that is the way for me to go). I'm also going to try to go out more and be more open to people (I'm a shy person AND I usually shut down if I feel that someone wants something from me and I'm unsure about it).

PS: for all the NMY who may not know this: there is a fitness thread for NMY somewhere in the health forum. I'll go search for a link and post it here.

ETA the link: pre- and pre-pre-baby fitness tribe for NMY
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Question for the single girls (there is only 4 of us, hehe, but now I feel less alone in that aspect): is finding a partner a goal for you for the new year?
Well, I would love it if I did meet someone this year, but with school I feel like I shouldn't make dating a priority.

and...

Quote:
Quote:
: It's been waaaaayyyyyy too long for me too!

User Tag List