A New Birth Center for Dallas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been a fantasy/dream of mine since I was pregnant with dd. I am working on my RN (to be in L&D), my doula certification and possible a CNM one day, but I would love to open a birthing center unlike any other in the DFW.

The thing I didn't like about the birth centers I checked out was that they all felt like someone else's 'home'. I know many mom's want something that feels homey but maybe I'm weird and they didn't seem my style.

I would want something very zen- calm, simple colors, a simple white flat modern style bed to birth on, natural looking birthing tub, soft lighting, hardwood floors, lots of plants and flowers... *sigh* I could go on and on... basically I envision something like the Red Door Spa

I just don't know if Dallas is the right demographic, if we need another birth center and if other moms would feel comfortable in this environment? I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or maybe suggestions as to what they felt was 'missing' from their birth that I could add to my visualization. What would your birth center include? An onsite doula? A birth photographer? Surround sound for your birthing CDs? Anything goes!

Even if you didn't/don't use birthing centers, what would appeal to you?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 PM

That would definitely appeal to me! Doubly appealing if you would accept my insurance.

The BWC is the only birth center (and Cherie is the only midwife) who accepts my insurance. I can't swing paying out of pocket when I have insurance we're paying for, KWIM?
#3 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM

I've been thinking of this since I read your thread the first time today...

I think I'd install bamboo floors, have a bed like this one, and paint in blue tones like the lighter color in this photo.

How coincidental that this is what I am wanting to do with my own home, though. Well, except for the bamboo floors...been there and probably wouldn't put them in my home again, but they'd be good for a birth center, I think.

For the bathroom, probably go with slate tiles and serene colors.

I'd love it!
#4 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM

Don't forget Kristin, I'm the birth photographer!
(and I'll be emailing you later about my appt.)

Lynsey
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 PM

Those are all great ideas for a birth center. Have you thought about the Fort Worth area at all?? They only have one BC, I believe...the market may be a bit better for you there.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#6 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 08:36 PM

a birth center that would still be open to VBAC's would be nice!:

your envision sounds beautiful!
#7 of 7 Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM

i had alice at http://fcmcdallas.com. it was like a bed and breakfast in the room (their old location) and really cute. the one thing they didn't have was a shower, which is what i really wanted to labor in and the only thing that helped my back labor at home.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page