Starting a Healthy Children, Healthy Planet Discussion Group, around Leesburg VA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 01-09-2007, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just completed a discussion group (coordinated by the local npo's Chesapeake Earth Institute and the EcoStewards Alliance) which I really enjoyed. They also offer a discussion group for parents and others with young children in their life called "Healthy Children, Healthy Planet".

Here's the overview of the program as described on their website http://www.ecostewardsalliance.org/p...ndex.php?t=610
The best things in life aren’t things (but most children probably would not agree.) Bombarded with advertising specifically designed for their attention patterns, size and interests, our children are growing up in a social environment that pressures them to become consumers at an early age. This program looks at the problems faced by children in this super-size, limited time only, buy now or you won’t be happy age and offers parents and caregivers insights into creative, enjoyable and nurturing ways in which they can provide children a more balanced approach to consuming, to making better food choices and to letting their innate genius shine forth.
Topics covered in the eight sessions include:
•Cultural Pressures Affecting Children
•The Gift of Family Rituals and Celebrations
•The Impact of Advertising
•Food and Health
•Time and Creativity
•Technology and the Media
•Exploring Nature
•Group Celebration

I am looking for a group to begin the series in early February. This is a really neat opportunity for a different kind of moms and/or dads night out. If anyone has any interest please PM me. Also, feel free to pass the info along to anyone you know who might be interested. I can email you a flier if you'd like.

Thanks!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page