Need some Savannah "crunchy" friends... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 660 Old 01-10-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We moved to Savannah a month ago and I haven't run into any crunchy people yet. I was wondering if there's any MDC'ers that live here and would like to meet up sometime. I'm not online much so don't expect me to reply right away if you reply to this thread, but I will get back to you. Our living circumstances don't allow me to have internet access at this time. I've heard that LLL is a good place to meet up with some crunchy types, but I'm not nursing either of my children anymore. My youngest weaned a few months ago.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 660 Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM

In not in sav, but in Bluffton, Im sending you crunchy, no more lonely hugs from over the bridge!
moving is hard and i am sure you will meet others . You dont have to be nursing to go to LLL meetings.
#3 of 660 Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Hey mama! I'm about an hour and a half south of you. I just made my last trip to Savannah last week...I received my prenatal care up there, and just had my last postpartum visit last week. Just wanted to say hello from not-so-far-away :-)
#4 of 660 Old 01-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Hi!

I'm in Savannah and I'm pretty crunchy :-) And there's at least one other mama who comes to the local LLL meetings who is not nursing any more (her youngest is 7).

Nice to meet you!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#5 of 660 Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

hannybanany, can you tell me when and where the LLL meetings are? We are TTC, so, I will have another nursling in the next year hopefully.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#6 of 660 Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 PM

Hey Alisha!! Glad you all made it there OK. We'll have to take a trek up to Savannah in the near future since it's not too far for us LMK if you make any road trips down my way!
#7 of 660 Old 01-18-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Meg! I haven't been around online 'cuz we've been living in a hotel and we don't have a laptop, so my only computer time is once or twice a week for 10-20 min. (that's about as long as the kids will be quiet playing next to me). Not enough time to really get on my message boards. I was just telling my husband the other day that I should make a road trip down your way. You're only 2 hours from us. But I don't think that will happen any time soon. Nice to hear from you.

#8 of 660 Old 01-29-2007, 12:29 AM

My family just moved down here in Sept and I am soo lonely- where are all the moms in this town anyway???...Minda

by the way we homeschool and have almost 5 kiddos
dd's 7 1/2, 5 1/2, 4
ds 18 months
#9 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 AM

Looks like there a few of us around! We'll have to plan a get together!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
#10 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 AM

there are a few on TBW as well. I wish there was a good mom hang out. If I had the money i would start a "play cafe"... Everyone needs somewhere to go!
#11 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 02:21 AM

one more thing, I am not sure if anyone is looking but there is a DOULA training worshop comming up here in Savannah in a month! I saw it on the www.birtharts.com website.

I lover hearing about crunchy things happening in Savannah- its so uncrunchy here!
#12 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Wraphappy, thanks for the doula info. I'm actually looking into attending a training in the next month or so. I was looking at doing a DONA training in Jacksonville, mid-March, but I'll have to look into this one more. You're timing is perfect!

#13 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Also, wraphappy, my dd will be 4 at the beginning of March and would love some "older" friends. The 2 yr olds that we keep finding at playgroups just aren't cutting it for her. So, if your dd don't mind some younger company, we'd love to get together sometime!

#14 of 660 Old 02-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Wraphappy, thanks for the doula info. I'm actually looking into attending a training in the next month or so. I was looking at doing a DONA training in Jacksonville, mid-March, but I'll have to look into this one more. You're timing is perfect!
wonderful! I am glad that helped. I know off hand that some of the main difference between the two is that DONA is a bit more "hospital" where as birtharts is VERY CRUNCHY. Infact my doula friend here in savannah who is certified with DONA is planning on taking this course- she pm'd me this morning about it!
Also BirthArts has no hidden fees, additional fees, annual fees, membership fees, testing fees, so on and so forth. You pay for your workshop- that covers everything!
Anyway there ya go!
#15 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrapHappy View Post
there are a few on TBW as well.
First, what is TBW?
Quote:
I wish there was a good mom hang out. If I had the money i would start a "play cafe"... Everyone needs somewhere to go!
Second, I'd love it if there were something like that around here!

Third, my dd is only 17 months old, but we'd love to get together with other "crunchy" families so she could play, I could chat. Minda, looks like your ds and my dd are about the same age.

I live off of 17, my husband and I moved to Savannah from Pittsburgh 2 years ago.

Lini

#16 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post
First, what is TBW? Second, I'd love it if there were something like that around here!

Third, my dd is only 17 months old, but we'd love to get together with other "crunchy" families so she could play, I could chat. Minda, looks like your ds and my dd are about the same age.

I live off of 17, my husband and I moved to Savannah from Pittsburgh 2 years ago.

Lini
TBW... www.thebabywearer.com
I am in the BERWICK PLANTATION where are you??

I am going to check the weather for the begining of next week- if it looks good then lets all meet at DAFFIN PARK to play!
#17 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 11:36 AM

I got a reminder e-mail today that the "georgia history parade" is on monday downtown by forsyth park 10.am ish- therefore we can not make it to Daffin- but we will be at the parade! Everyone is invited of course! I am easy to find- I will have a prego belly on my front and a huge 18 month old boy on my back in a red and hot pink wrap- probably pushing my 4 yearold in a stroller with my two old kids walking!
#18 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

We'll be there. No preggo belly here, as much as I would like it to be, but I will probably have my kids in an orange double jogging stroller - you can't miss it really. It's a one of a kind stroller with two little girls in it.

So, you think Forsyth park is the one across from Brighter Day? That's a really big park, we should pick a general location, like E or W of the playground area (depending on the parade route).

#19 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
We'll be there. No preggo belly here, as much as I would like it to be, but I will probably have my kids in an orange double jogging stroller - you can't miss it really. It's a one of a kind stroller with two little girls in it.

So, you think Forsyth park is the one across from Brighter Day? That's a really big park, we should pick a general location, like E or W of the playground area (depending on the parade route).
Forsyth is right downtown off of whitaker... I really have no idea where brighter day is...

Mapquest your house to forsyth

Lets meet infont of the park- its easy to find and sounds like we are easy to spot!
#20 of 660 Old 02-07-2007, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

No problem, I just figured everyone would know where Brighter Day is since it's really the only health food store (the only place I've found with herbs.) I'm sure it won't be a problem finding Forsyth.

#21 of 660 Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Oh, duh, thebabywearer.com. I knew that I was just on there the other day looking at sling patterns. I need to have another babe soon so I can sling again. My 17 month old is 37 pounds, and is hard to carry in the ring sling. I should look into a wrap or something...

Quote:

Lets meet infont of the park- its easy to find and sounds like we are easy to spot!
My dd is probably too little to enjoy something like the parade at Forsyth, but I'd like to meet you guys! I've made some "mom friends" here, but haven't really found any crunchy friends yet.

The front of the park -- like by the parking lot? Brighter Day is right across the street from the parking lot. There's a great little coffee shop there, too - the Sentient Bean.

Anyway, I'll be looking out for you all! My dd will be in a regular ol' blue stroller. She's bald/blond, I'm tall and "big boned" plain - so I guess I'll look out for you guys

Minda, I think I've "met" you before, on babycenter, and i joined your yahoo group. I rarely (never!) get to check it out though, busy, ya know? Oh, I live in a subdivision off of Cottonvale Road which is right across 17 from Kroger/Berwick Marketplace :-)

Lini

#22 of 660 Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, duh, thebabywearer.com. I knew that I was just on there the other day looking at sling patterns. I need to have another babe soon so I can sling again. My 17 month old is 37 pounds, and is hard to carry in the ring sling. I should look into a wrap or something...

My dd is probably too little to enjoy something like the parade at Forsyth, but I'd like to meet you guys! I've made some "mom friends" here, but haven't really found any crunchy friends yet.

The front of the park -- like by the parking lot? Brighter Day is right across the street from the parking lot. There's a great little coffee shop there, too - the Sentient Bean.

Anyway, I'll be looking out for you all! My dd will be in a regular ol' blue stroller. She's bald/blond, I'm tall and "big boned" plain - so I guess I'll look out for you guys

Minda, I think I've "met" you before, on babycenter, and i joined your yahoo group. I rarely (never!) get to check it out though, busy, ya know? Oh, I live in a subdivision off of Cottonvale Road which is right across 17 from Kroger/Berwick Marketplace :-)

Lini
Lini- I am glad you have a better memory than I do! hehe... That is neatthat you do not live that far from me!
I am also glad to get confirmation of where birghter day is- lol I need to go there anyway...

Meeting spot will be at 10 am in front of the playground.on the inside of the park not the roadside. I am sooo easy to find

so far we have preggo mama wearing HUGE 18 month old in red and hot pink wrap treking 3 girls- one in a stroller

Bright orange double stroller

and blue stroller with bald kid

Does that wrap us up- hehe!!...Minda
#23 of 660 Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! Yep, that's about it.

So, it is the park at Brighter Day! I thought it was, but I'm so new here, I figured I must be wrong. I think I'm going to have to check out that coffee shop before meeting up at the park. Someone else mentioned it to me. Can't wait!

#24 of 660 Old 02-09-2007, 11:54 AM

nak-

hey ladies, i'm a crunchy mama living on tybee island. i have no irl crunchy mama friends and would LOVE some. i have a 22mo ds and a 7weeker. i am tandem nursing and it's awesome. we all have a terrible cold, the savannah crud, so i don't think we can do monday safely. i wouldn't want to infect the rest kwim? but i would really love to start a playgroup. my ds would love some friends and me too.

btw, we have an awesome pretty cruchy ped here if anyone is in need.

meredith
#25 of 660 Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM

wraphappy,
i think we chatted once through tbw. we talked about the rincon birth center, where my birth was fabulously amazing. anyhoo, just wanted to say hi again.
#26 of 660 Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Meredith! I'm sure we'll probably get together again. We can use this thread to keep up with each other. Maybe in the summer, we can meet up at Tybee. DH and I are TTC and I'm hoping I can get my insurance to cover the Rincon birth center. I had both of my children at a birth center in Topeka, KS and loved it. I'd love to have a home birth, but I won't do that unless dh is with me and he's deploying soon, so who knows if he'll be around. Anyway, I'd love to hear about how awesome the birth center here is.

#27 of 660 Old 02-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:

<snip>

Anyway, I'll be looking out for you all! My dd will be in a regular ol' blue stroller. She's bald/blond, I'm tall and "big boned"...

<snip>
...with incredible bone structure!

I'm one of Lini's less crunchy friends. I think I scored in the "Sprinkled with Granola" category on another site.
Lini has become my unofficial nutritional counselor for my DS who has some oral aversions. I'm old enough to be her mother (literally), but I look to her for parenting advice!

In any case, I wanted to cross-post the thread I just made about the Baby Whisperer here in Savannah/Tybee: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=614228 I'm thinking about writing a letter to the editor about giving a counter-point to the article (the actual article is linked in the other thread), but since we didn't get to exclusively breastfeed for very long I hoped that one of you might write a letter regarding the importance of nighttime feedings?

I hate to think that there are new moms out there wondering what they're doing "wrong" because of this type of advice. I thought I'd write a letter based on the issues in the other thread with particular focus on the fact that I would not have been able to identify my child's special needs (even his torticollis as an infant) if I had just chalked it all up to him needing more discipline. I thought one of you could write about how this type of parenting (scheduling) prevents the important nighttime feedings. I found this article at Kellymom which addresses the whole Baby Whisperer phenomenon: http://www.kellymom.com/store/review...whisperer.html I have to say that after reading this article I feel like a much better mother than I was just recently thinking I was with all of our special "issues."

Anyone willing to jump on board and do a mini-campaign for a counter-point in our local paper? ~Imvishta

P.S. For the parade.. The Sentient Bean takes only cash/checks, not debit/credit cards. Try the Heart of Gold salad. It's sooooo good!
#28 of 660 Old 02-11-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Man, that article was awful! I'll jump on board!

Can't wait to see you all tomorrow!

#29 of 660 Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 PM

See you tmw!
#30 of 660 Old 06-01-2007, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I know it's been a long time since any of us posted here. Anyone interested in getting together again soon?

My husband has been deployed for a month now and I'm starting to feel a bit crazy with my AP'ness. I have no friends here who are even close to AP (except one lady at playgroup who bf'ed her dd until 20 months!) and they think I'm nuts most of the time. I just keep my mouth shut when they discuss things that bother me. But you shouldn't have to keep your mouth shut with good friends, right. I think it's bothering me so much now because I don't have dh's support. When he was here, I would complain to him or talk to him about AP things and he was always supportive. We don't get much talk time now, so I don't talk about those types of things with him. So, I need some crunchy/AP friends. Anyone want to start getting together on a monthly/bi-monthly basis? I would really love it!

Any ideas of what to do? I spend most of my time on base, ocassionally going downtown, to Walmart, or to Tybee, and that's about it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page