Teachers' Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in my final 4 mos of teacher's college. I would love a tribe to chat with, bounce ideas off, and discuss any number of issues that come along with the profession.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#2 of 43 Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids are probably older ( college aged ds and 2 dd's 13 and 11) but i have been in the teaching profession (special ed) 18 years and remember the days when i was teaching and taking care of my little ones...it was tough...thank God for Grandmom!!
#3 of 43 Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Hello! I am a special ed teacher in our public middle school.
#4 of 43 Old 01-13-2007, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I've been thinking alot about (external) rewards, praise, and all that jazz. What are your takes on them??

...how is praise different than acknowledgement or thanks?? what about those students who go above and beyond the expectations every now and then?

I plan on reading that book (Alfie someone or other's) Punishment through Praise along with a million other books i want to read...and on that note, any teaching books you'd recomend (I'm in the P/J stream) with an interest in special ed.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 43 Old 01-13-2007, 04:37 PM

I'm currently doing my practicum for elementary guidance.
#6 of 43 Old 01-13-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
I've been thinking alot about (external) rewards, praise, and all that jazz. What are your takes on them??

...how is praise different than acknowledgement or thanks?? what about those students who go above and beyond the expectations every now and then?

I plan on reading that book (Alfie someone or other's) Punishment through Praise along with a million other books i want to read...and on that note, any teaching books you'd recomend (I'm in the P/J stream) with an interest in special ed.
I wish I had time to read professional books! Most of the books I read are by Roald Dahl, Lois Lowry, Beverly Cleary, etc... I teach 3rd and 4th grade in a multi-age classroom (12 kids!). My school is so small there aren't enough kids in each grade to have their own class. I used to teach in a big semi-urban (but not quite suburban) middle school. The huge difference between these two schools makes me feel like the typical American public middle school has failed. Time for a new idea.
#7 of 43 Old 01-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Personally I have no problems with praise and rewards as a way to motivate students. I haven't read all of Punishment through Praise, though that is one of a few books my SIL gave me last year. What parts I have flipped through, however, I can see where he is going but I just do not agree with his conclusion.
#8 of 43 Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi, I'm a Kindergarten teacher in MI right now- I've taught K in IL last year, and half a year of 2nd grade the year before that (and preschool the half a year before that!)

A book on classroom management I really liked and has gotten me quite far is by Fred Jones- I forget the name. The thing I like the most about it is that when I do the things he talks about, I get sooo many comments from other teachers and parents about how it's amazing that I don't have to shout, or threaten, or really make a stink. I have no idea how to classify his style, other than he repeats throughout that the teacher NEEDS to be in control of themselves.

Good luck with finishing your requirements! You will never be bored, and trust the people who tell you that teaching is nothing like what you expect while in college!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#9 of 43 Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaClara View Post
teaching is nothing like what you expect while in college!

Clara
Hrrmmm....is that a good thing or a bad thing??

I've certainly passed the stage of idealism and am quite overwhelmed with the thought of sooooo much preparation, classroom management, and just being good and effective and meaningful while staying sane and taking care of the admin end too. eeeks!:

#10 of 43 Old 01-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Hi! I teach Beginning ELD to 6,7,8th graders and 8th Grade SDAIE American History. I'm working part timet this year. Nice to meet you all!
#11 of 43 Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Hi! Can a former teacher join in? I taught High School Math at a public school in MI for 5 years before leaving for political reasons. I'm still in the education field part time, editing and writing supplementary math materials from home.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#12 of 43 Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Do I fit here? I teach public HS business & computers, but am taking my remaining credits to teach math. Wheeeee...

A book I really loved: Harry Wong's "The First Days of School". Holy moly--what a monumental difference. I'm in my first year and I get a LOT of praise for handling some of the classes I've been handed--and it's mostly due to that book! LOL!

But honestly, the more students I meet, the more I want to homeschool my son!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#13 of 43 Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 AM

#14 of 43 Old 01-16-2007, 06:54 PM

I use some rewards in my class, but I am trimming them down each year. I agree in principal in no rewards but when I only have the kids for 45 min a day, I'm not sure there is time to establish a relationship where it isn't necessary. I have Alfie on my reading list, too, but I'd love to see a classroom where there were no punishments/rewards. My principal is really big on rewards. We just had a drawing to day for Ipods, kids who had over 50 Reading Counts points. He gave away 30 of them! We'll see how that changes their interest in reading.

I liked Fred Jones Tools for Teaching, but my whole school is using a program called Time to Teach which I love. Last year I wrote about 1-2 referrals a month to the office. This year so far, I have ZERO (knock on wood). My days are so easy right now!!!

This is the link to the Time to Teach info, but it doesn't say much. The book is great, but a seminar would be awesome. Our school has two trainers.

http://www.timetoteach.com/index.php
#15 of 43 Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Do any of you experienced teachers have a mantra? care to share?

#16 of 43 Old 01-17-2007, 02:08 PM

i was a high school history teacher for 8 years and now i substitute.... got tired of grading papers!!!!
#17 of 43 Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM

HI! I'm a former public school teacher (I taught 8th grade Spanish) turned SAHM. I now teach preschool - 6th grade Spanish at a private school. It's very part-time, just one morning a week.

I think the first skill I had to learn was classroom management. Once you have those skills in place, the rest falls into place.
#18 of 43 Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I'm a substitute for now -- still in college (getting my Associates this summer)& hoping to transfer to Ithaly for my Bachelors in Education!
#19 of 43 Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 AM

I don't know if I qualify to join this tribe or not- I don't teach in the school system, I am a private music teacher. I teach newborns on up to the kids at heart. My mom, aunt and grand-mother are/were teachers so it is definitely in my blood! I am currently thinking of getting my BEd and possibly doing a bit of teaching in the school system. I have subbed a bit for teachers, worked as an accompanist in an elementary school and as part of my schooling I did the ol' student teacher routine, so....I guess it's only logical for me to take the next step The only thing holding me back is the fact that I love being my own boss--no administration to deal with!!!! but...no benefits, stress of running a company, etc....so, the decision is not easy.
The program I teach now has been endorsed by Barbara Coloroso (Kids are Worth it) and the one issue she had was the programs use of incentives (stickers and praise are the two biggies). I try to limit my praise but since the parents are there as well, they usually fill the praise gap

So---can I be in the teachers tribe...maybe even just an honorary member

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#20 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Hi! I teach 2nd grade in a Title I school in LAUSD. I love it, but it's so draining to be a working mom. My boys are 16 months and almost 4yo. The combination of motherhood and working is the HARDEST thing I have ever done. Attachment parenting/NFL is very important to me because I have to be away from my kids during the school day, but sometimes it can be very exhausting. The baby is sick and since we co-sleep, I'm not getting much rest right now.

Oh well, I'm just venting.

Anyone care to come chat about handling difficulties with other teachers? I'm having a bit of an issue right now.
#21 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi! I teach 2nd grade in a very urban setting. And I agree, once you are in the classroom, it is TOTALLY different than college!
#22 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Regarding whether it's a good or a bad thing that college is nothing like actual teaching- I feel like it's a bit of both, but I try to focus on the good! You'll find your own rhythm, and it'll be great! Sometimes you have to be a bit unconventional, especially when working with higher-need populations. Some days last year, my little guys (I worked in a high-poverty school in a district south of Chicago) needed some calming music, stories and just some positive and soothing time, instead of frenetic phonics and craziness. Sometimes lesson plans get tossed through the proverbial window, and you go with what your students have handed you (within reason- I've had students unintentionally do some really cool on-the-spot modifications to a project, and we incorporated that into the remainder of the lesson instead of whatever follow-up I had planned).

Regarding issues with other teachers- last year I did clash with a few teachers, personality-wise. I majorly clashed with a para in my room (a former Administrator who was fired, decided to get a job as a para, and complained bitterly every day and made me and my kids miserable until I told her to just go, and not come back to my room.) In terms of the other teachers, I just mainly stayed pleasant, and avoided them as much as possible- there was little that I actually needed to do with them (like, no projects or committees together, thank goodness!) I would say that it's always better to work it out with them than to get Admin involved.

Clara

#23 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Hi! I've been teaching for (gulp) 22 years-with one year off for the boys! I'm now mostly in administration, but was a Latin teacher in VA and MA-talk about two different worlds!

Someone asked for a mantra-mine comes from one of the most amazing Latin teachers ever-Jane Hall of Farifax, VA-Be firm, flexible, and fair. No, these are not contradictions-and if you follow this, your life will become easier!

Someone also mentioned Fred Jones-now there is a name I haven't heard for a while. He was the Guru of the Fred Jones method, which was heavily pushed in Fairfax CO VA in the 80's. I am glad to hear its still around! Although, he was an advocate of the "not smiling until Xmas" philosophy, which never worked for me.

I am glad to see so many new teachers here-you are a rare breed, and should be very proud of yourselves for taking on such an improtant job!!
#24 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 10:03 PM

I don't really have a teaching mantra, but one thing I remind myself to do is love every student. Sometimes that is easier said than done, but my greatest success stories result largely from me putting a lot of my heart into a kid. Even the most resistant ones will eventually begin to trust you and want to make you proud. The other day a former student--one I had for two years and who I put a LOT of emotional energy into--said "You're my favorite teacher. All the other ones hate me." Of course they don't, but I don't think they LOVE him, either.

And as far as college vs. classroom: those of you still in college have learned a lot already, but not NEARLY as much as you will that first year in your own classroom.
#25 of 43 Old 02-10-2007, 10:33 PM

I teach high school history
#26 of 43 Old 02-11-2007, 01:06 AM

I have been trying to track down my matra for you. I tried googling it, but nothing came up so now I am wondering if it was said by a local teacher. It is hanging in the district office. It says something like:

My job is to teach the children in my classroom, not the kids down the hall, not the kids I had last year, or the kids I wish I had.

Maybe that seems obvious, but I have seen so many teachers who have an attitude like, this year I just have bad kids, or what am I supposed to do with so many resource/ELD kids. That's my job. To teach THEM.

My newest mantra is, "He was somebody's baby. Somebody loves him very much." It helps to remember that they are not little "problems," but somebody's child. They were toddlers. They were snuggled and cherished by someone.
#27 of 43 Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

My job is to teach the children in my classroom, not the kids down the hall, not the kids I had last year, or the kids I wish I had.
I really love this one!

I like a quote from Esme Raji Codell- "To those who say I teach because I cannot do- oh how right you are! Now I experience a teacher’s great euphoria…everything they become, I also become. And everything about me, they helped to create.”
It sums up the additive effect I feel in my own life as I pass through each year. I'm not a static teacher- I have the joy of a job where I grow and change and learn, too!

#28 of 43 Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM

I'm a special education teacher in a small, remote community in NE California, with an 11 year-old son and a new baby boy on the way!

Laurie wash.gif (44), wife to DH thumb.gif(60), mama to DS guitar.gif (18), DS reading.gif(6), DSD heartbeat.gif(15), and DD (4)jog.gif 
#29 of 43 Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 AM

I have been a special education teacher for over 11 years, mostly in the high school setting. Currently, I teach EBD students in a self-contained unit in a large rural high school. Needless to say, every day is an adventure!
#30 of 43 Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 PM

i'm a middle school teacher.

also single mom.

just finished a really hard week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page