Camping at North-South Lake, NY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-11-2007, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going camping for a week this summer with my DH's parents, and I'm thinking of having us go to North-South Lake. I've been there for day trips from a house my extended family owns in the Catskills, but I've never been there as a camper.

Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, about North-South Lake?

We have a pop up camper and we'll have a 3 yr old and a 1.5 yr old.

Thanks!
Aven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 PM

I went to North-South Lake once a few years ago....to see fireworks while camping at Mongaup Pond, nearby. I found the sites at N-S Lake to be a little close together for my taste. Mongaup Pond is a smaller park, but still pretty big. It has lovely, more private sites right on the lake (I think "pond" is a misnomer). I've never been camping with kids, as DD is only 2 months old, so maybe being closer to a lot of people/kids is an advantage? If you decide to go with Mongaup Pond, N-S Lake is close enough for day trips.

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#3 of 4 Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM

I have also camped at N-S Lake. It is a beautiful park, but the camping is a little close together as previously mentioned. We also have a dog and they are very strict about "dog rules" and she was not allowed to go swimming in the lake. The hiking in the area is great, we were on the go a lot and not hanging out at the campsite too much other than in the evening/night.

There are many camp sites/campers at this park. It is good for the kids if they are looking for friends to play with. If you are looking for a more quiet and secluded camping trip this would not be the place to go.
#4 of 4 Old 02-14-2007, 07:48 PM

I grew up camping at North-South Lake so I am biased! The hiking trails there are fantastic. Our favorite family hike is to a beutiful waterfall. There are sites that are more secluded then others. There are some that I would sooner not camp then have to set up my tent there. If you can take a ride up and pick out a lovely site on the lake or along the creek (loop 1).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page