Mothering Forum banner

St. Louis CSA

681 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  wolfbaby 
#1 ·
Hi folks

Who here has a CSA (community supported agriculture) membership? We did Biver Farms last year and want to try someone else. New Urban Roots is all full
: so what else is there?

Has anyone tried Three Rivers Community Farm?

Thanks!

-L

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. This is weird. I just called them (Three Rivers) this afternoon and we are going to split a share with another family. I spoke to Amy and she was great! There were several things that I really likes about their process--if you pick up on farm you can choose (generally) what you take home, and they do lots of pick it yourself stuff, and there is no required volunteer time (we will probably do some, but it's hard to commit with little kids). I got a great feeling from her and am really excited to buy our share!

Good luck and I hope we see you over there!
Juliette

#5 ·
Can someone tell more about how these work? My friend did this in KC - but I didn't know a whole lot about it. Can I get stuff delivered? Or could I pick it up near where I live (central area - U-City, Ladue, Clayton).

I'm interested in supporting LOCAL agriculture. Organic a plus but I'd rather buy locally than organic from TJs.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
Can someone tell more about how these work? My friend did this in KC - but I didn't know a whole lot about it. Can I get stuff delivered? Or could I pick it up near where I live (central area - U-City, Ladue, Clayton).

I'm interested in supporting LOCAL agriculture. Organic a plus but I'd rather buy locally than organic from TJs.
So the short version is you buy a share in the farm (about $500 for the growing season) and every week you get produce. If the season is great, you share in the bounty, if it is poor, you get less. Each CSA has different requirements, but that is the general idea. Three Rivers delivers to central locations where you can pick up your share in Webster, U-City, Ballwin, Tower Grove and Forrest Park. You can also pick up on the farm.
Here are some good links:
www.localharvest.org/
http://www.threeriverscommunityfarm.com/membership.php

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizafava View Post
Hi folks

Who here has a CSA (community supported agriculture) membership? We did Biver Farms last year and want to try someone else. New Urban Roots is all full
: so what else is there?

Has anyone tried Three Rivers Community Farm?

Thanks!

-L
I have a share in Biver this year. Three Rivers will be organic in 2009. For 2007 and 2008, they are chemical free.

God bless you,
K

#8 ·
Cool, someone resuurected the CSA thread. We bought a share in Three Rivers and it starts on the 15th. I really like the folks who run it, and I like their energy and principles. I like that they have sustainability goals, and offer flexible pick-up/drop-off options. I don't really care if they are certified organic (I know it takes time and is expensive), the other stuff us more important to me.

Anyone going to the barnraising this weekend at Three Rivers?

#9 ·
We were planning on going to the barn raising, but now my hubby needs to stay home and work on the car. He's disappointed because it sounded fun to him!

We're really looking forward to the season beginning. We are splitting a share with another family and doing farm pick-up. I can't wait to get over there and check it out!

Juliette

#12 ·
Hi! We (dh, ds, and I) went to the barn-raising today at Three Rivers and it was awesome! Wonderful people, beautiful beautiful land, lots of yummy veggies growing, and thanks to all the rain for the past few days - lots of mud! Dh helped with barn raising, ds played with other kids and bugs and worms, and ran around barefoot in thick, goopy, perfect mud, and I mostly watched over ds to make sure he didn't step on any plants. I am excited to be a part of this CSA! We'll be picking up at the Tower Grove site so I hope to see other MDC mamas there!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.