PDX March 2007 Thread (March 11th-30th) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never started a PDX thread before!!! Yay me.

Are you guys all coming to Kennedy School for St. Patrick's Day on Saturday?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 AM

Ooh, that looks like something I'll have to say YES to.
#3 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:47 AM

Now that we're going to be celebrating St. Patrick's Day, I want to hear your funny drinking stories

Mine is in college I lived in a house with 7 other roommates. We decided to throw a party for ourselves one weekend. After the first few rounds, we decided to make it an underwear party!! We ended up on the front porch waving to passer-bys in our underwear. I remember some of us went to change into our good-looking underwear.

#4 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Ok so it's not like I'm ever gonna be able to keep up but I feel the need to sub anyway.

When on Earth would anyone use this smiley ?? LIPS! Who needs to post some LIPS??

North Idaho rural living 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 mama to: 24 yo DD, 18 yo DS, 10 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yr old DS, 4 yo DD, 3 yo DS, and our toddler boy!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
God willing, someone new is coming in Jan. 2017!
#5 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Well apparently I need to post some lips.

North Idaho rural living 
 mama to: 24 yo DD, 18 yo DS, 10 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yr old DS, 4 yo DD, 3 yo DS, and our toddler boy!
God willing, someone new is coming in Jan. 2017!
#6 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 AM

Is a weekly (or quasi weekly) thread really easier? I mean, we do need to start new threads every once in a while (I've seen what happens when threads go FOREVER, and it's not pretty), and I don't care how often it is, I just think it's funny that even on a 10 day thread we got to over 1000 posts.

I'm back down to having about 2 productive hours a day. But I'm sitting here watching Gary unpack and do cleaning, and I gotta say, this is the life.
#7 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Now that we're going to be celebrating St. Patrick's Day, I want to hear your funny drinking stories

Mine is in college I lived in a house with 7 other roommates. We decided to throw a party for ourselves one weekend. After the first few rounds, we decided to make it an underwear party!! We ended up on the front porch waving to passer-bys in our underwear. I remember some of us went to change into our good-looking underwear.
Hm, my drinking stories are a little less classy. Like the time I passed out on the walk home from the bar and was woken up by a police officer at 6:00 a.m. Morning commuters thought I was a dead girl.
#8 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 03:50 AM

I don't drink at all, but I'm really good at mixing drinks. All my fun drinking stories involve other people...

And this is my favorite - my dear friend is ethnically Russian, but a short, slight guy, and was keeping up doing shots with two very large guys (both over 6ft and around 300 lbs). Unsurprisingly, he got very, very drunk, while the other two were just, y'know, drunk. After throwing up over the balcony, he didn't quite make it back into the house before he decided to lie down. So I sat down on the ground next to him, just to keep an eye on him and keep him company. I'm leaning over him, we're chatting, he looks up and says "I love you Arwyn" reaches up and grabs my breast and adds "honk honk!" complete with hand motions.

I busted up, said "I love you too Vasily", and bring that story up practically every chance I get.
#9 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 03:52 AM

Thanks OtherEmily! I totally forgot that i set it up this way.

Who's a dork? Memememememe!

Mom to three 14 y.o. rock star grrl, 5 y.o. knight in spazzy armour and baby Juniper, born still @39 weeks 4 days 2-3-10 .
#10 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Is a weekly (or quasi weekly) thread really easier?
i said it before but nooooobody listened...i mean we talk the same amount, and our conversations still carry over.......now i just have to subscribe 4 times as much! (and look like a nerd being on the old thread while others have moved on )

oooh my cookies just went "ding!"

hmmm..have to think about the drinking stories......really it's the *bad* ones that stick out (puke, puke and more puke---ewwwwww)
#11 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:11 AM

subbing.....
#12 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_nomad View Post
i said it before but nooooobody listened...i mean we talk the same amount, and our conversations still carry over.......now i just have to subscribe 4 times as much! (and look like a nerd being on the old thread while others have moved on )
I listened but never chimed in my agreement.

So we had a wonderful day at Cannon Beach today. It was so windy that Michael could not even walk by himself, several times I had a hard time walking. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! Well the kids did not think so but me and Joe had a blast. Made me wish that the kids were older so that they will then enjoy such things. And then I had to tell myself they will be older before I know it and enjoy them now!

On the way home we got stuck on Hwy 26 for over 2 hours waiting for that head on collision to be cleared up. It was so incredibly sad when we drove by the accident. They had the little car all covered up with blankets because well I don't need to say why. I kept thinking that if we had been a few minutes earlier that could have been us, we were only about 10 cars back from it.

And from the old thread:

Hedy: I too LOVE cake!

And my last name is Klemz most say it right but they usually spell it wrong clems, celms, clums.

Need to go to bed leave for Seattle bright and early again.

Will add drunk stories when I can think of a particularly good one. There are plenty.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#13 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:23 AM

Hey! Don't forget that is Max's first bday and party! But it looks like the McM thing is going into the evening. I would do both, but a friend of mine is also throwing an evening bash.

I also prefer just one monthly thread (but I love all of you who disagree with me : ) For me, it is a selfish reason. Sometimes I go back hunting for something using the search function. I am lucky to remember what month it was, let alone which week!

Drinking stories... uhoh. Will have to think about that one. I have alot that would be UA violations So I will have to think of some that are family friendly humor. Should I be ashamed I have so many?
#14 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

Well apparently I need to post some lips.

Maybe if you're talking about the Rolling Stones , or inviting everyone to go see the Rocky Horror Picture Show ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Hm, my drinking stories are a little less classy. Like the time I passed out on the walk home from the bar and was woken up by a police officer at 6:00 a.m. Morning commuters thought I was a dead girl.
Hmmm...yeah several yucky drinking stories. Most of my drinking stories from dorm days ended with puking in the trash can in my room. Okay, actually only a couple.

A few years ago we went drinking for a friend's birthday and I ended up peeing in a parking lot behind a dumpster. The next day, she asked me if I remembered doing that, and I actually didn't remember until she told me. She won't let me live that down.
#15 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
I listened but never chimed in my agreement.

On the way home we got stuck on Hwy 26 for over 2 hours waiting for that head on collision to be cleared up. It was so incredibly sad when we drove by the accident. They had the little car all covered up with blankets because well I don't need to say why. I kept thinking that if we had been a few minutes earlier that could have been us, we were only about 10 cars back from it.

ah now we must band together and create a revolution--Aaahahahahahahah!!!!!

ew, harsh--i hate seeing that. so sad. b and i are 'noid about head ons (people seem to cross over the center lane constantly in oregon cause the roads are so freaking narrow and too many 2-lane highways). the other day he said he wanted to take mayan to pdx to go sailing...i was like um, no--let's stick together, you can go sailing when we move. i have been having anxiety lately and the thought of them perishing in crash and me and isadore left......what is wrong with me?? geez, i am a total worry wort these days. i guess it's b/c i am gearing up for so much change. i've lived in bend for 21 years, and i am off all of my usual "comfort measures"....really usually i am not so doom and gloom

oh here is my post i wanted to carry over from the old(er) thread:

who do you all use for internet (NOT dial-up)?

AND recommendations for concrete countertops....?
#16 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Leah, when did you put your girls in a bedroom together? My girls are going to share a room eventually. They are 3 yrs apart. They love sleeping together in our bed (a piddly little queen). Usually now when we go up to bed we move big sis to her bed, or sometimes she scoots over into the sidecar crib. I'm thinking of getting them a daybed with a trundle that will convert into a full or queen. That way they'll have the choice to sleep together or separate. It will also save floor space. Or maybe full over twin bunkbeds, but every wall in her room has windows at the top bunk level and I don't like that idea. Plus then I don't want to worry about the little one climbing up the ladder and falling off the bunk.
#17 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
ew, harsh--i hate seeing that. so sad. b and i are 'noid about head ons (people seem to cross over the center lane constantly in oregon cause the roads are so freaking narrow and too many 2-lane highways). the other day he said he wanted to take mayan to pdx to go sailing...i was like um, no--let's stick together, you can go sailing when we move. i have been having anxiety lately and the thought of them perishing in crash and me and isadore left......what is wrong with me?? geez, i am a total worry wort these days. i guess it's b/c i am gearing up for so much change. i've lived in bend for 21 years, and i am off all of my usual "comfort measures"....really usually i am not so doom and gloom
Dude! What is the deal with the narrow streets? It's like an obstical course trying to drive down the road with cars parked on the street. You have to weave in and out with cars on this side and that. And even the wider roads where can drive straight down the middle with cars parked, you can't fit two cars down it at the same time. So like one person has to pull over while the other car goes by. I'm like WTH just make the roads wide enough for two freaking cars to drive down. Geshhh....

Ok we made the oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies that were on that thread I posted earlier. They are pretty good. Not the best in the whole world like everyone else was posting but not bad at all. Anyway, DH of course turned the TV on blaring and woke the baby up, soooo I need to get him back to sleep.
#18 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
Leah, when did you put your girls in a bedroom together? My girls are going to share a room eventually. They are 3 yrs apart. They love sleeping together in our bed (a piddly little queen). Usually now when we go up to bed we move big sis to her bed, or sometimes she scoots over into the sidecar crib. I'm thinking of getting them a daybed with a trundle that will convert into a full or queen. That way they'll have the choice to sleep together or separate. It will also save floor space. Or maybe full over twin bunkbeds, but every wall in her room has windows at the top bunk level and I don't like that idea. Plus then I don't want to worry about the little one climbing up the ladder and falling off the bunk.
Just an fyi, I have never had that happen. We got the girls bunk beds when DD2 was 15 months. She did climb up to the top but she has never fallen off. Now DD2 has the bunk and DD3 is in her room in the toddler bed. Stuffed animials live on the top bunk but DD3 is always up there playing and has never fallen off. This week sometime we are going to get a mattress so DD2 gets the top and DD2 gets the bottom and the crib will be set back up so we can stare at it because DS will probably never sleep in it either. I am hoping for naps at least so I don't have to worry about him rolling off a bed or anything else.
#19 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:06 AM

subbing
#20 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:06 AM

i am worried about bunks too. when i was preg with #2 i moved mayan to a futon on our floor (she was almost 2). i honestly can't remember at what point she went into her own room, but i can say she became veeeery attached to that as her private space (around the age of 3 1/3 to 4). then i was worried that she wouldn't ever share it--she'd freak out when sister came into her room. but my secret plan was to have them share.....at this point mayan went to bed first in her room, then we put isadore (who was 2) to bed on a futon on our room.
miraculously one day mayan said to blake as he was putting them to bed (i was out that night i think) ALL ON HER OWN "papa, i would be delighted to share my room with isadore" (her exact words) so he quickly brought is's futon in the room and put them both to bed. i came home and blake showed me both girls sleeping soundly in one room and i was SHOCKED. soon we got a matching toddler bed and two silk canopies and now it's their room. i guess Mayan just wanted to want it on her own time, and Isadore felt so special to have her sister (who she totally looks up to) invite her to share the space. it was cool.
i have also thought about having them share a futon or full size bed but then i thought that if one was sick it'd be easier to change one set of pukey sheets without having to up-a$$ the not sick one.
good luck to you!
#21 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 AM

This freaking weather needs to make up it's mind. Every time it changes.. from warm to cold again, my poor baby gets sick. Baby as in my three year old. She gets a runny nose and cough. Which we can deal with during the day, but at night she is miserable and can't sleep. And getting medicine down her is a nightmare. I have to hold her down and give it to her. If I don't give it to her she is up all night coughing.. so I don't know which is worse. Sigh.
#22 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So Justin finally came over today to spend some time with Campbell. I rented a few movies and had planned on making dinner.
He spent half the time texting friends, while I held Campbell. While watching the first movie, someone called him and he had to leave by 5pm. I got mad, thinking I was making dinner (this had been planned for a few days) and that he would give Campbell a bath. So at 4:30pm she gets a quick 2 minute bath..yay go dad. I cried when he left.:
He says he might come back. By the time he called to come back up, I had made dinner and eaten, so had Campbell. He came up and ate, alone. Then we watched the second movie, again, I held Campbell the whole time. Then he kept messaging people AGAIN. Then he rushed out right after the movie..I suggested he get down and play with Campbell for awhile and he gave me a look like "What? How dare you suggest something so out of my range of things to do".
once again, i cried.

I went to a playdate the other day with Campbell. All the moms were talking about how wonderful dp's and dh's were. How supportive and loving they were and how they spoiled their kids with attention. I felt jealous and hurt. I feel cheated. How can I find someone like this?

On another note, I think I am going to start making taggie blankets for babies/toddlers. I also think I am going to try and make baby blankets.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug
, Sugarbug
, booboo
and TTC
#23 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
So Justin finally came over today to spend some time with Campbell. I rented a few movies and had planned on making dinner.
He spent half the time texting friends, while I held Campbell. While watching the first movie, someone called him and he had to leave by 5pm. I got mad, thinking I was making dinner (this had been planned for a few days) and that he would give Campbell a bath. So at 4:30pm she gets a quick 2 minute bath..yay go dad. I cried when he left.:
He says he might come back. By the time he called to come back up, I had made dinner and eaten, so had Campbell. He came up and ate, alone. Then we watched the second movie, again, I held Campbell the whole time. Then he kept messaging people AGAIN. Then he rushed out right after the movie..I suggested he get down and play with Campbell for awhile and he gave me a look like "What? How dare you suggest something so out of my range of things to do".
once again, i cried.

I went to a playdate the other day with Campbell. All the moms were talking about how wonderful dp's and dh's were. How supportive and loving they were and how they spoiled their kids with attention. I felt jealous and hurt. I feel cheated. How can I find someone like this?

On another note, I think I am going to start making taggie blankets for babies/toddlers. I also think I am going to try and make baby blankets.
I don't know if this helps any but my DH didn't start paying attention to dd2 until she was two and he realized she never acknowledged him. It took several months of me telling him what to do, read to her before bed, play with her ect.. before things got better between them. With each kid we have he gets more and more helpful and attentive. Heck he will even change a diaper this time! It's only our forth (his third.) My exh has never even set eyes on DD1 and she is 13.

I am sure you have made the right choice to leave someone like that, and before you know it, you will find someone who will love both you and Campbell. You just have to hang in there until you find him.
#24 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I don't know if this helps any but my DH didn't start paying attention to dd2 until she was two and he realized she never acknowledged him. It took several months of me telling him what to do, read to her before bed, play with her ect.. before things got better between them. With each kid we have he gets more and more helpful and attentive. Heck he will even change a diaper this time! It's only our forth (his third.) My exh has never even set eyes on DD1 and she is 13.

I am sure you have made the right choice to leave someone like that, and before you know it, you will find someone who will love both you and Campbell. You just have to hang in there until you find him.
Oh he is a perfect dad to his son, and he is much better with her than he ever was when his son was an infant. He changes diapers, will feed her, etc....just..I don't know. I know time will pass and we'll find someone, it just hurts now.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug
, Sugarbug
, booboo
and TTC
#25 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 07:34 AM

sigh, so DH is up late to make sure the servers switch to daylight savings time correctly. Stupid government for using daylight savings time and for switching early... Stupid Microsoft for wanting to charge DH's work $40,000 for a patch for the daylight savings time so DH had to write a script himself.

I am up late because Bre is waking up screaming every 20 minutes or so. I calm her down and get her back to sleep. She doesn't have a fever and says nothing hurts. I think she is just pissed off because she is waking up coughing. sigh... I tried to put her in our bed... You know the bed she wants to sleep in all the time and gets in in the middle of the night when she doesnt? So she cried and told me she didn't want to sleep in my bed she wanted to sleep in her bed and got up and went back to bed. Sigh... its going to be a long night....
#26 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 12:16 PM

:

just subbing
#27 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
once again, i cried.

Ericka, I am so sorry. It will get better.

On the taggie note, it would be awesome if you considered doing some with organic cotton. It's hard to find things like that and the polyester market has soooo many things (like minkee, etc).
#28 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Our car was towed during the night (lovely faded sign well off the street that we couldn't see in the dark!) so we'll spend the day trying to get it back and hopefully walking golden gate bridge. :

Will tel drunk stories later. I used to be a waitress in a brew pub. I have some STORIES.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#29 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajessica View Post
Ericka, I am so sorry. It will get better.

On the taggie note, it would be awesome if you considered doing some with organic cotton. It's hard to find things like that and the polyester market has soooo many things (like minkee, etc).
noted. thanks for the suggestion.

did you want some of the butter Leah sent me?

, Sugarbug
, booboo
and TTC
#30 of 1465 Old 03-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
Ok, who has a child who fight fight fights their way to sleep nearly every time, even when they are very tired? And fights you? And you feel horrible every time when they finally give in and let themselves sleep, because it's not gentle, and they're not relaxed? But you can't let them not sleep, because they are miserable, and need your help, so all you can do is be there while they fight? I need to talk to you, if you have this too! I just want to know that I'm not the only one!
yes. it was a phase here, albeit a very loooooooooooong phase. i absolutely remember feeling similarly to the way you write about, and i even remember posting about it, too. it was sooooooooooo hard for me, and even though i hated comparing to other people's kids, i couldn't help but do so when i heard of babies going to sleep on their own, with minimal fuss and minimal crying. thankfully, we are at a much better place with going to sleep right now. at least with the toddler, anyway. little babe is doing pretty well with going to sleep now, too, but he's only 6 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
OK, so I have a question... my mom was up here today, and we were looking for a decent place for dessert or something. We ended up at New Seasons, but there must be something that has gourmet cake or something around here that's not a grocery store, right?
Have never been to Piece of Cake, but I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend Pix Patisserie on Division & 37th-ish. oh. my. gosh. delicious. Papa Haydn on NW 23rd & Irving-ish and also on Milwaukie Ave in Sellwood is yummy, too, but Pix is amazing.

Quote:
who do you all use for internet (NOT dial-up)?
we have Comcast cable because they weren't doing DSL before out in the almost sticks where we live and it's still more expensive than cable. it's pretty reliable and is costing us about $50ish a month.

we had an awesome day at the zoo yesterday, even in the rain. the new Northwest exhibit, which includes the black bears, a bobcat, 2 cougars, a bald eagle, salmon & trout and i'm sure there's something else i'm forgetting, it's amazing!!! we saw both the bears, but they were resting/sleeping at the time. and the bald eagle is beautiful and has a wonderful habitat enclosure, complete with a waterfall.

~claudia

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page