Twin Cities Tribal Chat~ June 1st thru the 7th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 06-01-2003, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you in the Twin Cities?

Well, then you have found your tribe! Despite our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, two things bond us together: living in the coldest state on earth...and the love for our children which warms us. The weekly tribe thread begins anew each saturday. Watch for the new thread on the main Minnesota/Wisconsin board.

Some of the individuals who post here meet weekly. If you are interested in attending a get together, please post your interest on the thread or send any one of us a pm. We welcome with open arms and minds the input of all parents, regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, political view, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability,etc.
#2 of 39 Old 06-01-2003, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Out enjoying the sunny weather, maybe? We are headed out in a minute but wanted to post "hello" and start a new thread.

Hope you all have a good day!

#3 of 39 Old 06-01-2003, 02:09 PM

We'll be heading out soon too. Just taking care of house stuff first. Since everyone's home, I roped them all in helping.hehehe Got dh doing the lawn, dd helping me inside. I'm so mean.lol

Willow's poor little behind is still fried. Poor babe didn't wear a diaper cover after I pulled it off at Sg. We've been slathering the Aveeno butt stuff on. now we're back to infant size prefolds so the folded in sides don't touch the sore part. I swear she pooped at least 10 times yesterday! She used to have a once a day thing going...I still don't understand WHERE they keep it all???:

Batty- Great to meet(again) I'm still getting everyone matched up with the screen names, hence my confusion.

How'd the moving go ??????I know there where 2(?) people scootin' over to new digs......

ok, back to cleaning I go!
#4 of 39 Old 06-01-2003, 09:46 PM

hey all!

so WONDERFUL to get to SG yesterday and see you mommas. and so great to meet you new-to-the-threads mommas, poppas, and babes.

starfire--that babe is so cute!! i am glad i finally got to meet her and gaze and her sleepy baby face. and A was happy to have S to play with. all yesterday and today as A played, i overheard your DS's name in the play amongst his trucks and people!!

elaine--WOW! has that boy grown! i haven't seen him since he was so so tiny, and i know babes grow, fast, but WOW! hope he slept for you all afternoon and you started napping with him (i always said i would do that and so rarely did, especially w/ C, so i know where you are coming from)

(((((((((((((((dave))))))))))))))))))

moving mommas--keep up the strong work! it will be worth it soon! and keep us informed as to what you need!

snow--sleep the day away? i hope so!

kids were asleep by 6:30 tonight!!!!!!! no nap, which obviously always makes for an earlier bedtime...but 6:30??!! and DH and bro are at a soccer game, so i have a quiet home tonight, thank maude!

keep my MIL in your thoughts and prayers. she went to the ER today, tight chest, tired, etc. she has some heart prob history, and since she is going to CO thurs for my SIL's graduation, she thought best to have this checked out now. angioplasty/angiogram tomorrow (i can't remember exactly which one, even though i just talked to her...). hopefully all is OK, but with her history and her diabetes...

LOVE TO YOU ALL!
#5 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 02:04 AM

Hey yo.

Thanks Batty on thoughts for Dave. I did the memorial today. It was very sad. Fish asked me why I was sad after and I decided to tell him. Death is a part of life after all. Thankfullly, we have not had too many brushes with it close to us, but have talked about it and how everything has a lifetime. He got busy drawing a picture of Lei in heaven for Dave. It turned out so great. She has angel wings and and a "ribbon wand" and a jeweled crown. So sweet of my magic boy...I love him!

Oh and hey, hope those bedbugs sleep til the morn.

Willow, I hope your booty gets better.

So glad Starfire made it to sg! I have been wondering how it is going, but pre-occupied with movin'. Yes mamas, these babes grow so fast! My Blue is almost two...hard to believe...and is flooring me with his vocab! Cherish the moments! Personally, I'm satisfied that Blue is as big as he is now...because he was sick and fragile seeming when he was wee small...and seems very sturdy now! I do wish I could go back in time and be in the moment~ and on at least eight hours rest for some of those times, kwim?!

Well, I am nerved out for another week, nearly fully packed and just waiting to move. I have no idea why I can't relax about it, all my bases seem to be covered, but here I am stressin'...used to the feelin' I guess.

Hugosmama landed pretty softly. She is sick though...seems like a sinus infection. She could use some unpackers for sure. I'll be over there tomorrow at 1. Anyone feel free to call me for the address and phone number. We decided to get phone numbers that are only one digit apart in spirit of beginning Soverday Tribe Commune. hee hee We have joked about calling our new home: Goddess Palace~ Where two neurotics do make a right...(and other silly things)

After all, was reading Pema Chodron and she says our wisdom is mixed in with what we call our neurosis. PHEW, at least I'm not stupid or born yesterday. hehe

Well, have a good week all. You likely won't see me around much til I land in the new pad...gotta disconnect this monster.

Kd and Sara did you know the painting bug bit my @ss too? 'Cept it's my furniture! Can_not_stop!

#6 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 04:44 AM

Who's up for Lynnhurst Park tomorrow? M wants to go and I thought we'd take K, that new mama I brought to SG, and her son w/ us. Noonish.
pm me for directions etc..
#7 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 11:10 AM

Morning Mama's!
One more week and I'm all done! DS will be happy, he HATES when I leave him at school. His potty training is going well -- even waking up with a dry diaper most mornings! -- now that I just bought a bunch of size 2 Kissaluvs!!!! Go figure! Of course, he's also back in our bed full-time -- I have no idea why -- maybe potty training is stressful and new babe etc...The nice side effect is that he sleeps till almost 7:30 (vs. 6 am) which I greatly appreciate! But he sleeps all over the place -- not sure how and where the new babe will safely fit....

Have a great park day!
#8 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 01:10 PM

Hey all!

Brown- Glad things are going well with the packing. Moving is stressfull enough just thinking about it. Hopefully once all is said and done you'll be able to chill abit and paint furniture in peace.

Batty- Hope the kids didn't get up at 3am!! But woohoo on the 6:30 bedtime. It's nice to roam the house when everyone's outor asleep isn't it?

Anyone talk to Ann lately? If you do please have her pm me about the doll for B.

Some of you know about my toe saga...the whole bone spur or cyst. Dr. wants to do surgery on Thurs. Also said I'd need to be off my feet for 1 month.lol After I quit laughing uncontrolably(sp?) I told him that wasn't going to happen. Then since he's waaay lazy & has no knowledge of bf'ing basically wanted W to wean. When I called him on that one, he got a little cranky. Too bad- my kid, my boobs! He gets paid to provide a service, I'm making him earn his money.lol ( sorry if that offends anyone, JMO) Anywho, I decided to just get the surgery done. Anyone know of anything that promotes quick healing? I might be at SG, me and my handicapped parking pass.: For some reason, I feel like I'm rewarding a toe's desperate cry for attention when I should be ignoring it. And the parking pass thing makes me want to scream 'It's a toe!!! I'm NOT handicapped. There are people that need those spots & I'm not one of them.'
Sheesh, talk about guilt. I'll get the sicker but I'm not using it. I'd feel evil.

laundry calls my name....
#9 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 05:17 PM

Hey all! I'm looking at ordering a mooncup. 10 orders would get wholesale prices( not sure what the wholesale prices are yet)
The regular prices are 28.45 including shipping.
Anyone interested?
#10 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 09:12 PM

i did actually have to wake the kids at 6:30 this AM to get out the door to work! they OBVIOUSLY needed that 12 hrs of sleep! and then DD was napping at school before i even got to her cotside. i was changing diapers before nap and she did call out to me a few times, but as all the kids needed fresh butts to sleep with, she had to wait. and by noon she was out! i came over 5 min later to find her asleep. granted that meant when she woke up later i was out of the room breaking a co-worker, but oh well...

MIL is still in the hospital. they didn't do her angiogram until sometime this aft, so they were going to keep her overnight again. hopefully she'll be home tomorrow, b/c hopefully the angiogram results will be OK. this is especially a hope b/c she is supposed to go to CO thurs for SIL's graduation...

otherwise, blahblahblah.....................

wishing you happy toe-vibes, although i suppose we are all too late for that...happy healing vibes is the better term i suppose!

love ya mommas!
#11 of 39 Old 06-02-2003, 11:48 PM

willow's po-po (our word for tush) hope she is feeling better soon!

well, everything went wonderfully this weekend (our first night away from e). we all spent friday night at my folks...and grandma took over, putting e to bed and everything. that went wonderfully, so we opted for a site a few miles in. very secluded along beautiful silver creek. we must have seen 2 dozen deer, many a peliated woodpecker, and tons of flying squirells. beautiful sunset...and woke to a sunrise and frost on all of our packs. what a way to start june! hee hee. on the hike back out, we took another route, about 4 miles...saw a fawn that had been left by her mama (ironic, since this was my first night away from my own child...although the dnr said the deer do this all the time), a huge beaver dam, and two porcupines who were a little too close for my comfort level (maybe 7 feet or so). there were also trilium and jack in the pulpits everywhere. it was a pretty exciting trip for just 24 hours! PICTURES

e did great. she was a little stand-offish when we first got back, but warmed up just fine. dh headed back yesterday, and e, my mom, and i came back today.

anyway, hope y'all had a good weekend. good vibes to the movin' mamas. hopefully we can pitch in a bit this weekend.

REMINDER - API on SATURDAY! pm me our doulasarah for more info!
#12 of 39 Old 06-03-2003, 02:37 AM

I know, I am totally guilty of NEVER being on here anymore!

I just wanted to pop on since I had a few seconds to let you all know how much I miss you all!!!

We just got our computer back, so hopefully I can post some more again. There are just never enough hours in the day, although I know that you all know that.....

So.....Lizzie.....does that wonderful new baby have a name? Did I miss the big announcement? Someone please fill me in!

Hopefully back sooner than later......
#13 of 39 Old 06-03-2003, 02:18 PM

If anyone is interested-

Molly Ivins, columnist and Author, will speak at
a benefit for the Minnesota Civil Liberties Union on
Friday June 20, 03 at 7:PM at the Ted Mann Concert
Hall. Tickets are $25. You can RSVP by calling
651-645-4097 ext 120 or at www.mnclu.org
#14 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 12:54 AM

hey mamas~

sorry i've been absent a few days. things just keep getting me discomboobilated kwim? i meant to get online last night, but we spent the whole day at the park with our homeschool group, and i was too tired to lift my fingers.

curvie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh mama how i've missed seeing your posts! how are you?! how is that man of yours and your beautiful dd??? kiss them all for me please. lizzie's ds is liam (daniel i think is the middle). too many questions, so what's new will have to suffice.

supi...sounds like it was a success. i'm glad e was cool with it all.

brown...i know exactly what you mean! i would love so much to have 'been there' more. observing, soaking it all in. i feel like i was so busy being beyond tired, and beyond depressed, that i missed alot. i bet the pic ds drew was beautiful!

hugos...feel better! i wish i could come keep you company while the others help you unpack!

batty...good vibes for mil. let me know the news as you get it please.

ok that was all i could remember. i'm off to finish emails then snuggle on the couch with reemie (remote control's name).

~peace and love, moon
www.mamagathering.com

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#15 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 02:16 AM

Just popping in to say "BYE!" until I land in the new pad. This machine is getting the big disconnect!

Hurray for Curvie!

Willows~ hope the toe mends fast!

Hope park mamas had fun! I'm anxious to meet our newbie tribe member from hM. Any time at Lynnhurst after we land! It's right in our new hood. Won't likely be at sg saturday. Hopefully unpacking peacefully.

Moon, Hugos told me I had to post that Fish said today, "There's nothing to do here and no place to play. I gues it's TV TV TV all day." hehe. We have been the video house. Hate it! Darn gramma 'Veggie Tales' gift! I'm gonna go after those little freaks with all my sharp utensils...annoying little...@#$#%&^*!

Okay, wish me moving magic...

#16 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 02:18 AM

Oh wait!

Supi glad the trip was a success!

And Willows, what is a mooncup? Do I not know everything?
#17 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 05:17 AM

Hi Mamas

*Brown, I know you aren't reading this, but sending you good moving energy anyway. Hope it all goes well, am thrilled to death to have you and HugosMomma so close. Someone else - Quick! rent the house next door to them so we can start the commune! (summerlover, weren't you looking? It's got stairs for Lo!)

*Supi, what a great trip and fun pics. Yay for Grandmas too!

*Willowsmama, heal up fast, that sounds painful. And is a moon cup something like a "Keeper"? Just guessing here....

*Moon - Lucky Reemie hee hee

*SaraMama is on her last week of work - yahoo! Soon to play w/ us days

*SummerLover - I LOVE Molly Ivins and so does D. He's singing in a wedding the next day and M is flowergirl - he is checking to see if there is rehearsal that night or if we can go to Molly instead

*Batty - news on your MIL? hope hope hope it's good, all good.

*Welcome Baby Liam! Soon you will be joined by a few more tribal babies!

OK, Friday Noonish - Lake Calhoun Tot Lot. Curvie even says she'll be there and I'll call Karin (our new tribe member - she's not online) and Spryte. If you don't know where it is, pm me for directions - it's a GREAT park on the shores of the lake, All welcome.

DAAM- opened the show last Fri, thx so much for all the good wishes. Just have to get an opera opened next wk and then no more openings till Fall.
#18 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 07:07 AM

Is anyone still coming to SG ? I'll probably be there.

If anyone talks to Brown, can you tell her Snow's right. it a Keeper(menstural cup) made out of medical grade silicone for those that are allergic to rubber. It seems slightly more durable to me????It can be boiled to.

Brown - lol at blue...poor babe overdosed on Vegie Tales! He'll love playing w/o the T.V. once you get moved.I used to know the theme song by heart fom work!!! Happy moving vibes!!! And of course, you know everything!

Supi- Sounds like and awesome trip!

Batty Any word on your MIL??

Snow- you are awesome, mama! The amount of hours you worked would have dropped most people into bed for a month!

WooHoo!! for Saramama!!!!!!
#19 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 09:58 AM

has anyone else seen this? i dunno...i guess i would be a bit upset, but would be happy that the baby was contented at least. certainly wouldn't bring the police into it! yikes...
Quote:
JUNE 3--An Oklahoma woman has been charged with allegedly breast-feeding someone else's baby at a day care center. Shannon Denney, a 32-year-old lawyer, was hit Friday with an outraging public decency count, a misdemeanor, for an incident late last year involving a newborn baby. According to prosecutors, Denney, whose own daughter attended the Pal's Daycare School in Stigler, Oklahoma, tried to comfort the crying baby. After trying to get the infant to drink from a bottle, Denney tried bouncing the child--but that didn't calm the kid either. Day care worker Jackie Freeman told cops that when she noticed the newborn had calmed down, she looked over and saw Denney breast feeding the baby. Denney allegedly told her daughter the breast feeding was "our little secret," according to a probable cause affidavit. The baby's mother learned of the incident in mid-April, which triggered the criminal charge against Denney, who is president of the Haskell County Bar Association.
#20 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 03:55 PM

Supi - How weird, although I'd have to say I wouldn't want someone to just decide to nurse my baby....

Snow -- welcome back to the living! Will respond to your email soon -- just SWAMPED, trying to finish stuff up.

Movers/Unpackers! to you!

"Reemie" huh, Moongloe! That's wild! I like it!

Willowsmama - Heal toe Heal! (okay isn't that a dance step?)

DAAM - got a very cool job offer yesterday. Still tentative, but it would be very part time with or w/o teaching, so I'm very excited!
#21 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 04:10 PM

hey all you campers!!!!

i'll need to know soon who all is going at the end of the month. we need to let the park know how big our group will be at least a week before we will be there. so, can folks let me know for sure by the 18th? will have more info on mf.
#22 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 05:30 PM

hey mamas~

brown...roflmao! 'bye' till you are moved in!

sue...i'm so glad all went well with the opening! good luck with the opera's!!

sara...lol yup a dance step. i didn't know you were looking for a job. what is it?

supi...i would be livid if someone decided to nurse my baby without my permission...pretty much did anything to or with my child without getting the ok first. and the 'secret' comment just oogifies me.

daam...i might actually go out without my boys tonight! there is a free vegan cooking class nearby i wanna check out. i'm not the going-out-alone type, so if i don't flake on myself, it will be a huge event for me.

gotta go!
~peace and love, moon
www.mamagathering.com
edited due to mixed up typing

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#23 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 06:05 PM

I wasn't actually looking, but at the same time was wondering how the ol' budget was going to support my HUMUNGO student loan payment that will begin in December....so this is a good thing.

Bascially, I'll be doing some research projects for the business department on campus (the academic dept, not the college administration) and possibly teaching an intro class (marketing or financial services etc.). I love the people in the department and the thought of teaching "wee frosh" (ie. first year students -- we don't call them "freshmen" as this is a women's college) is pretty exciting too!
#24 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 06:18 PM

hey all yucky weather and having a hard time getting charlie to nap. amazed by the rain and thunder. hope the hail did not harm the garden.

puked again today, two times in 10 days. bummer. this happened at the end with charlie too....thought this was not to happen except in the beginning.

have to say autumn. I have a huge opinion if someone were to nurse my child too. I think it is very intimate and there is lots of info out there about sharing breast pumps etc. Some are okay but some are not to be shared.

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/preownpump.html

1. *It is believed by some physicians and researchers that human breastmilk can possibly contain viruses if the mother is infected. Such viruses may include CMV (Cytomegalovirus), HIV-Human Immunodeficiency Virus (AIDS), and HTLV-1 (Human T-Cell Leukemia Virus Type 1.) Mothers are strongly discouraged from re-using or re-selling previously-owned breastpump equipment. This is the best way to prevent risk of cross-contamination.

Rental pumps such as the Classic and Lactina pumps are made to be safely used by repeated clients. Each mother uses her own new rental kit, therefore avoiding possible cross-contamination. Rental pumps, when used according to the Medela instructions, are safe to use.

But my childhood friend Christa whose son is two months older than Charlie many times said to me if something happened to her would I nurse Carter. I never really answered her but she was giving me permission and I think that is the ticket here. I did not answer her cuz personally since I think it is so intimate I would need to know that she would want me not only to be nursing but to be Carter's primary caregiver cuz if I were to nurse him and then send him back to South Dakota where they live I think that would give him double abandonment. Anyway let's get more cheery here. Were are the June babes? SaraMama, Autumn R and what happened to Rhiannon?

Wow SaraMama cool work stuff happening. You go girl.

Batty sending hugs and prayers to mil.

Heather, how is DH?

Starfire, hope to see you soon.

Moongloe I have taken several vegan cooking classes, been awhile though. Have fun.

Take care all.
#25 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hey mommas! Where *is* the sun? Rain, rain, go away!

We are excited for the big Creative Kidstuff sale tomorrow! Wanted to let you all know that everything will be 25% off through Sunday! Maybe I will see some of you there...?

Sara~ That is great about the job! I hope it works out for you! Student loans are sooooo crappy, aren't they?:Puke

Mamar~ Have to admit, that would bug me, too!

Moon~ Hope you learn some cool cooking stuff!

Brown and Hugosmoma~ Hope all is going well! I tried to call you, Brown, but your voicemail is off. And now you are offline, too, so probably won't see this. Dorky me.

Yes, Battymom~ How is your mil?

Snow and Littlecurvie~ Sooo glad to see you on the boards!

KJ~ That is so sad and horrible about your friend (last week's thread). And Cattrane, how is your coworker doing...?

Okay, Brown and I have been talking about having a celebration for Nygel and Blue who are each turning two! We are thinking it will be Thursday evening, June 26th, over at my place. Will send out an email or post on the other site when things are better planned out.

#26 of 39 Old 06-04-2003, 09:31 PM

Hello All~I am having a get together on Friday June 13th at 1 ish. I will have some snacks/food/drink, and all are welcome.

PM me for info/directions.

Mamar! I didn't have time to read all posts, but wanted to say were planning on camping for at least one night ...

Peace all,
Devi aka Gully
#27 of 39 Old 06-05-2003, 12:44 AM

Hope everyone's week is going well.

Devi ~ We might come your way to your little get together. You are in White Bear, right?

KJ ~ DH is doing good. He gets his stitches and cast removed tomorrow. We aren't sure if he gets a different cast or not. I'm definitely ready for him to be independent again. It's like having another kid. He waits till you sit down to decide he wants a drink. He can't carry it himself while using crutches so guess who gets to get it. : I have to help him in and out of the tub. He better not forget how to do stuff around the house.

Sara ~ That's great news about the job offer. I hope everything works out the way you want it to.

Willowsmama ~ I might be at SG on Saturday. Some friends are coming to visit from SD on Friday and I'm not sure how long they are staying at our house. We are watching their boys while they go to a wedding Fri. night.

I hope all the movers are doing good. Unfortunately, I have way too much experience with moving. We've moved 3 times in the past 5 years. I see one more move in the next few years and then we should be settled for a long time, I hope. :

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#28 of 39 Old 06-05-2003, 12:52 AM

wow we spent the night cleaning out dh's closet. found some missing socks etc...charlie was great and helpful.

Heather, your DH sounds like me. I remember doing that to my dh like I would get settled to nurse and ask for a pillow, and then water, and then the phone and then....the remote. It drove him nuts. Watch out Jerry it will happen again but now I got Charlie to grab a few things too. Tee hee!
#29 of 39 Old 06-05-2003, 01:07 AM

I'm sure I'll be at SG on Saturday. The API thing sounds good but I don't know how up I'll be for meeting new people.

I'm slowly becoming a fabric addict (was gonna say fabric whore, but don't like the look of that). Gracie and I went to S.R. Harris to look for cute fabric for diapers and ended up with 4 yards of beautiful batik in red, purple, and orange. I bought it with the intention of making a lighter-weight sling (the Maya Wrap is so hot!) but now am considering making myself a skirt and top from it. I can picture it, really simple, and am wondering if I have the confidence in my sewing abilities to make my own outfit without a pattern. Should get some cheapo muslin to try it out first. Oh, and the batik was $6 a yard!

Should go to bed so I don't get another shock when Gracie wakes up 2 hours earlier than I'm ready for.
#30 of 39 Old 06-05-2003, 10:24 AM

Heather- Glad to hear your dh is doing better. He'll remember how to do stuff around the house( if he needs help, you feel a summer'cold' coming on, don't you?hehe)

Jessikate- Ohhhh, heck I can barely sew and i'm ready to skip surgery and head out there! you're going to have sooooo much fun sewing. If you're nervous about not having a pattern, use an old shirt & skirt as one!

Kj- lol! I remember doing the same thing! It drove dh just about nuts.
Surgery is @ 12. I have be there @ 11 so I'm trying to get everything done before. Been running around madly for 2 days now. Yesterday was awesome! Willow woke up at 4:30 after she went back to sleep I got TONS done. And I stayed up till 12, once I saw the clock I just about fell over.lol Didn't realize how much I missed the early hours.

Well wishes for all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page