homefirst - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-31-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my first appointment at homefirst. My dh & I are ttc#1 and have had no luck for 6months so I thought I would go ahead and get things checked out. I had very high expectations of this place despite the mixed reviews here. In the end, I have to say that I was very disappointed. The office was very small & dirty! I didn't go back for my appointment until 1 hour after the scheduled appointment time. Then when I finally went back for my annual so was unable to get the speculum in, which has never happened before and said that she had to use a virgin speculum on me. Well apparently they keep those elsewhere so while I was in the stirups with my fanny about a foot from the door the dr opens the door and yells for her assistant who doesn't hear her so she decided to retrieve the speculum herself all of this with my goods open to all! A women's worst nightmare. Not to mention that the pap was very rough and she must have really scraped my cervix because I bleed for several days afterward. Then when i go to pay, I was shocked with the whole conceirge fee which according to the receptionist is due to the unique services provided by homefirst. So an extra fee on top of your office visit charge, every visit. Well, anyway I don't think I will be going back.

What is everyone elses thoughts on homefirst?
#2 of 26 Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

If you do a search, you'll probably find a bunch of threads about them. I've heard that people loved them and people really disliked them. The concierge fee is a dealbreaker for some. I am not able to afford it.

There aren't a lot of options in IL, but there are a couple of CNMs in the Chicago area.

Also, have you talked to your state rep about SB385, the Midwifery Licensure Act? : If not, please do. See Colette's post about it in this forum. We need more options in IL. :

We are ttc #2, and I really worry about what we'll end up doing for the birth. It's so frustrating.

Julia
dd 1 year old
#3 of 26 Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM

I have a lot of disgust for how HF runs the financial side of things. The concierge fee is ridiculous. Special services? What special services? To me, it seems like nothing but what, $15 extra with every person?

Having said that, I absolutely adore Dr. Rosi. I'm so sorry it took nine years to have the pleasure to make his aquaintance. He has so much wisdom, knowledge, and patience. He's so good with the kids. They love him. I wish I was little again, so he could be my doctor. I can't say enough good about him.

I also like Dr. Doxtater. She was the one who was here for dd2's birth. I was desperate to have a hb, and at the time, HF was my only option. She was completely lovely. I'd take her again for a birth in a heartbeat. She's a doctor but also a trained doula, and that made so much difference, I think.

As there have been others there who I've clashed with, and badly, I have to say, I think it's all about whether or not you find someone who you click with. Some of them have no clue what's going on, at all, and others are fine.

I won't ever be happy with their crazy billing practices, though. :
#4 of 26 Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 PM

I did not birth with them, wish I had.

But, my dd has been in their care since she was 5 days old. Looking back, I was just so darn happy to have a BF friendly/non-vax/non-invasive ped for her that I let a lot of things that set up red flags go by the wayside.

My dd was VERY colicky, and looking back on those first 6 months of her life, I feel that, although I know it's not their "job", they could have offered more alternatives for me to help her when she screamed for hours and hours on end.

Nevertheless, I was happy with them and especially Dr. Rosi until recently. I felt that Dr. Rosi had such wealth of knowledege, and although I didn't try ALL of his suggestions, I did incorporate MOST of them and they were very helpful in keeping my dd healthy and our BF relationship thriving.

However, I was VERY VERY VERY disappointed in him when I took my dd to him with a small blister like lesion above her mouth. He barely looked at it, told me it was nothing and told me to put BM on it. I had already put BM on it. I was a little upset because I am not an idiot and am not going to drag her all the way to the office if I haven't already tried everything I can think of (and the first thing is usually -"put BM on it"). Then, Dr. Rosi went on to give me the usual lecture. When my dd is healthy and we're just there for a WV, that's fine, but, I was worried and my mommy alarm was telling me that this was not "nothing". So, I get the "you won't know what you're doing until you're on #3" comment---again, and an interesting lecture about BM and Breast cancer, etc...Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know Peter, your preaching to the chior. I'll be nursing her in 1st grade if she lets me...lol!

So, it turns out that my dd had her first case of oral herpes. Friday evening, the lesions just kept popping up everywhere. In her mouth, her throat, all over her mouth and around her mouth on her face. She was MISERABLE! I paged HF on Saturday and got Doxtater. I told her that I was on my way to Fruitful Yield and asked if there was ANYTHING I could get her to help her...she had NOTHING to offer. NOTHING! By the time I took her back in on Monday, her lower lip was cracked open and bleeding, she was nursing contantly to relieve the pain and I was a mess. She saw Doxtater, and still we left with NOTHING. I had to call and beg her to call in the anti-viral on Tuesday because I couldn't take seeing her in pain anymore. I HATE drugs, but there are some cases where they are necessary. Doxtater didn't prescribe the anti-viral because she said it was too late. But, my dd was continuing to get new lesions, so I convinced her to call it in.

One the anti-viral was started, we saw improvement right away. But, the sores were so bad that my dd still has a red mark (scar like) on one side of her mouth.

I felt very let down by HF. My instincts were disregarded and I didn't feel we were treated with any compassion. As much as I love their philosophy, we are in search of a new ped.

I think the most important thing a Ped can encourage is a mother's instinct and mine was totally disregarded in this case.
#5 of 26 Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 AM

Meaghan,
Thank you for sharing your story. That couldn't have been easy to go through! Your poor daughter!
#6 of 26 Old 04-11-2007, 07:40 PM

I switched my primary care to Homefirst in anticipation of someday conceiving and having a homebirth. I thought I was fortunate to have the Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO insurance that is promoted all over their website and in their office. I chose Dr. Doxtater because I prefer to have a woman as my physician, especially if I'm going to need vaginal exams, etc. I saw Dr. Doxtater once and really liked her. But I just called to make an appointment, (and let me just say their whole switchboard/appointment setting system blows -- it's impossible to call directly to the office branch that I want to get in touch with) which might call for a VE, but Dr. Doxtater is out on maternity leave. That's wonderful. I'm happy for her! I asked if there were any other women doctors I could see instead, and the nurse was about to set me up with the only other woman physician available, but then said she couldn't because this other doctor doesn't handle HMO patients. Whaaaaaa??? Why the bleep are they encouraging people to "Contact (their) company's Human Resources department to find out if HMO Illinois or Blue Advantage are available to (them)" if it's hit or miss if one of their physicians actually will see the patients who have this insurance????
: : : <---- I cannot click this smiley enough!!!!!!!!!! Aaarrrggghhhh!
#7 of 26 Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 AM

When I was trying to plan ahomebirth I looked into Homefirst. (BG office) I was kinda creeped out by the office full of pharmies with some guys photo all over them. It took a long time for someone to wander out and notice I was there. Finally went in to interview the doc and I got the woman who is on maternity leave( don't remember name) and she was hte only woman doctor (I was told). I liked her very much. But I did not get the vibe I was looking for. I later decided to go for a hospital birth with a CNM (Kathy Puls at Evanston) that is far from my Deerfield home but I think will result ina good experience.
I just didn't like the crepy feeling I got. And yes, the office seemed dirty and very disorganized. Not impressive to me at tall. Oh well, there goes my homebirth!
#8 of 26 Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

I am really sorry that happened to you. What an awful visit! :/ If you are in the Western Suburbs, I highly recommend Midwest Midwifery. They are a large practice of CNM's that do hospital deliveries. Even if you don't use them for the delivery of your child, they are great for woman care. Their main office is located right of I-355 at Army Trail and Swift. Their website is www.midwestmidwifery.com.
#9 of 26 Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 PM

i have not hear dgood things about Homefirst -so sorry that happened!...however i do recommend A Womans Place (in Chicago on Southport). there are 2 independent MWs and are amazing. they do homebirths as well as hospital births. www.awomansplacechicago.com
#10 of 26 Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM

I've used Homefirst as the ped for my DS for the past year and have been happy with them. We exclusively use Dr. Lana Doxtater who is awesome - i've been very pleased with how she has handled things and she is very kind and helpful. Of course, now she is on maternity leave, but we never had to use the ped often so hopefully it won't affect us too much.

What i like about them is that I feel like i am the one in charge of my DS's health - they never try to tell me what to do vax-wise, bf-wise, parenting-wise. I feel that i can use them as consultants for my DS's health instead of the typical ped where they try to be in authority over you telling you what to do.

IMO, they are great for parents who want a more hands-off style of pediatric care. i go to the Rolling Meadows office which is fine - it's nothing fancy, but sufficient for my needs. The people i've run into there have all been friendly.

I can't speak to their fees and billing b/c we have BC/BS and only have to do a copay with our insurance (or with our current ins, well-baby visits are covered 100% so we pay nothing). I've never heard of the 'concierge fee' before.
#11 of 26 Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM

I didn't know Dr. Doxtater was pg (shows how long it's been since dd has had to see her). Anyone know how long she is on maternity leave? Dd has to have her K physical this summer and I'll hold off as long as possible if she'll be back by then.
#12 of 26 Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2savannah_grace View Post
I didn't know Dr. Doxtater was pg (shows how long it's been since dd has had to see her). Anyone know how long she is on maternity leave? Dd has to have her K physical this summer and I'll hold off as long as possible if she'll be back by then.
i just heard today that dr. doxtater is not returning to homefirst. she's taken a position in madison, wisconsin at a community health clinic. i only met her once but have heard such wonderful things about her. it seems like she'll be truly missed in this community!

stephanie asl.gif

#13 of 26 Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
i just heard today that dr. doxtater is not returning to homefirst. she's taken a position in madison, wisconsin at a community health clinic. i only met her once but have heard such wonderful things about her. it seems like she'll be truly missed in this community!
OMG! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I loved her as did my dd. :

Well I wish her the best with her new job and family. *sigh*
#14 of 26 Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulalove View Post
that is so disappointing. i was going to give homefirst another try with her instead of the other practictioner that i had the first visit. But that seals the deal for me, i won't be going back there.
#15 of 26 Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Me too. I actually don't care for Dr. Rosi and his lectures. They make me feel like an idiot and like I am somehow misinformed....he got me sooooo upset about feeding solids cause he gave me this whole plan, but there was no way I could do it because a. I work and b. he was already eating. He acts like his way is the only way, and if you aren't *completely* crunchy you are doing something wrong. I don't like docs who throw drugs at everything and was really yearning for a doc who would allow me to do delayed/selective vax and not discourage me from nursing my son past a year and/or when he was sick, but it seems there are no such doctors in this area.

I loved Dr. Doxtater, but since when I visit tends to be sick visits, I don't usually get to see her because I have to take whoever is on the schedule for that day. Now that I hear she has left, I will not be going back there. It was such a huge drive for me anyway, living out in Crystal Lake. I went to Dr. Maw in CL last time and I really liked her but I did not bring up vax and now I am told she is a big vax advocate. I have been reccommended Dr. Evolve in LIbertyville, but that really is way out of our way too, and I don't go out that way for anything else. Any other suggestions??

First lost my midwife (Mary Traub) and now the good doctor. Sigh. Why doesn't IL allow birthing centers????? Anyone know? I could never do a homebirth because I had too many complications last time, but I didn't exactly enjoy the hospital setting and wish I would have had more control over things and been able to walk move around (ended up being induced so I had to be monitored and had an IV).
#16 of 26 Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaine108 View Post
Why doesn't IL allow birthing centers????? Anyone know?
Sorry for the thread hijack but there is legislation in the works to make birth centers legal in Illinois as well as license CPM's (Certified Professional Midwives.) Both bills have passed the Senate and are in the House. They need our support. SB385 is the midwifery licensure act and is in the Registration and Regulation committee. I am not sure of the status of SB264, the Alternative Birth Center Bill. They need your support. For more info, go to www.homebirthishealthy.org and http://www.hmprg.org/birthcenters.html

And now back to your regular programming.

Ellen
Bradley® Method Childbirth Educator
wife to G. Homeschooling mom to ds13, ds10, dd6
#17 of 26 Old 05-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Hi Morgaine,

We are in Dundee, not far from you. For a doc for the kids, I drive down Rt 20 to Bloomingdale to see William Epperly (www.drepperly.com). He is a family doc who does integrative medicine. He has been very respectful of our decisions regarding medical issues. I elect not to discuss non-medical parenting matters with doctors (ie feeding, sleeping) and he has not pressured me to discuss those things. Regarding those he states that he can tell DS is healthy and well nourished so he has no concerns if I don't. He is very supportive of breastfeeding. He is definitely not the type to recommend a bunch of drugs - he is very conservative with any medication. When DS had a pretty bad cough he recommended a homeopathic cough remedy that has turned out to be great stuff. He carries lots of really good products right in his own waiting room...but he has never once tried to sell me a product (as I have never seen him for a problem, just well baby visits.) With our first DS we went to a pediatrician practice and there was like only one right way to do things in their eyes. I like going to Dr. Epperly so much better. I would prefer someone closer but I know quite a few crunchy moms in the area and all of them either go to HF or they drive to Dr. Minkus, so I really don't think there is anyone closer, and he is worth the drive for me.

Quote:

I loved Dr. Doxtater, but since when I visit tends to be sick visits, I don't usually get to see her because I have to take whoever is on the schedule for that day. Now that I hear she has left, I will not be going back there. It was such a huge drive for me anyway, living out in Crystal Lake. I went to Dr. Maw in CL last time and I really liked her but I did not bring up vax and now I am told she is a big vax advocate. I have been reccommended Dr. Evolve in LIbertyville, but that really is way out of our way too, and I don't go out that way for anything else. Any other suggestions??

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#18 of 26 Old 05-05-2007, 05:02 PM

i think the main thing with homefirst that people like is the non vaxing issue. i have not found anyone in my area that doesnt push vaxes. if homefirst took my insurance, i would switch just for that reason-because our other peds "fired" us for not vaxing.

DS 5-11-06
#19 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Me too. I actually don't care for Dr. Rosi and his lectures. They make me feel like an idiot and like I am somehow misinformed....he got me sooooo upset about feeding solids cause he gave me this whole plan, but there was no way I could do it because a. I work and b. he was already eating. He acts like his way is the only way, and if you aren't *completely* crunchy you are doing something wrong. I don't like docs who throw drugs at everything and was really yearning for a doc who would allow me to do delayed/selective vax and not discourage me from nursing my son past a year and/or when he was sick, but it seems there are no such doctors in this area.

First lost my midwife (Mary Traub) and now the good doctor. Sigh. Why doesn't IL allow birthing centers????? Anyone know? I could never do a homebirth because I had too many complications last time, but I didn't exactly enjoy the hospital setting and wish I would have had more control over things and been able to walk move around (ended up being induced so I had to be monitored and had an IV).
Morgaine108: Your posting was a little disturbing. First off, I support breast feeding, but why would you STILL be breast feeding if your child is 1 year +? Also, I do not understand why you would want to put off, or select only the vax that you want your child to have. Why? Are you a Doctor? In my opinion, that is just putting your child at risk for something that he/she should not be at risk for. Why play russian roulette with your childs health. Breast feeding is better, but it is not the cure all for everything. It is FOOD for your BABY, and if your child needs medicine, your child needs medicine. From your post, it sounds like you believe that breast feeding can be used in place of medicine. Yikes!!! That is pretty scarey!
#20 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM

It's obvious from your post that you are *very* new here. Please take a look around MDC. There is much to be learned here. Based on your post, I highly recommend that you lurk in the breastfeeding and lactivism forums, as well as the vaccinations forum. Once you have learned from the very wise mamas here, you can come back to this thread with these smilies: : . Good luck to you!
#21 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
:

I reported.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#22 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Wow....you people are vicious. All I did was ask some questions, and gave my OPINION on what you were talking about. Put down the pitch-forks and torches. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If something doesn't make sense to you, do you just go with it, or do you ask a question? Why do kids as "Why?"; it's because they want to know Why. The way I do something is different than the way that you do something. I know why I do it they way I do.....but, I don't understand why you do what you do your way. Do you understand where I am coming from? If I sounded harsh in my first post, I'm sorry...but help me understand where you all are coming from. That is a new way of thinking for me.
#23 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn View Post
Morgaine108: Your posting was a little disturbing. First off, I support breast feeding, but why would you STILL be breast feeding if your child is 1 year +? Also, I do not understand why you would want to put off, or select only the vax that you want your child to have. Why? Are you a Doctor? In my opinion, that is just putting your child at risk for something that he/she should not be at risk for. Why play russian roulette with your childs health. Breast feeding is better, but it is not the cure all for everything. It is FOOD for your BABY, and if your child needs medicine, your child needs medicine. From your post, it sounds like you believe that breast feeding can be used in place of medicine. Yikes!!! That is pretty scarey!
Re-read your post and then see if you were just trying to learn a new way. Your post was VERY judgemental. Words such as "why play russian roulette with your childs' health" are VERY strong and hurtful.

On this board extended breastfeeding is very common. Selective/ delaying/ or not vaxing at all are also very common.

Take a look around and you'll see. This is not a mainstream board. Please be respectful of the things you say.

With that said, if you are actually interested in learning a thing or 2 about different styles of parenting, take a look around. There are lots of very wise people on this board.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#24 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Back to the original topic- Homefirst. I was born at home with Homefirst in 1981 as was my older brother (1978). I had my second child at home in 2003 and I loved the practice back then! I also loved them through out the pregnancy and home birth of my 3rd child. I saw Dr. Doxtator for the majority of my prenatal appts. (and I LOVED her!!!!! and was very upset when I learned she's gone now) but it was Dr. Rosi at my last birth.

I don't care for Dr. Rosi's style and LONG WINDED lectures. Yes he is FULLLLLL of wisdom, but not the man you want to be scheduled with if you're in a hurry. He takes his time talking with all of his patients so you'll have to wait while he's lecturing other patients (I'm talking an hr after my scheduled time). THEN you have to sit through his lecture with YOU. I guess he's a hate him or love him kinda guy.

I'm not thrilled with the other female Drs there now.

I'm also not happy with the upkeep of the building (RM office). It has gone down hill over the past 2 years. The office staff also seems to have gone down hill. During one of my LONG waits for Dr. Rosi while I was sitting on the table, one of the girls in the office was on a personal phone call and not being at all discreet and she was saying swear words. I was appalled at the lack of professionalism and VERY thankful I didn't have any of my kids with me.

Also, I needed my birth records from my 2 home births. They were able to get my 2005 birth records but I have yet to get my 2003 birth records (I called in August). I was told that they are boxed up in a warehouse and it's basically impossible to get them. I called multiple times to see if they have been found yet and nope. Guess it's a lost cause. (just wanted to add that I was able to get the birth records from my 2001 hospital birth in less than 24 hrs.. NOT homefirst... it was Sherman hospital).

Also, when I gave birth the last time at home, I never had a follow up visit at home like I did with my first homebirth. Someone dropped the ball on that one.

If we ever have another baby I don't think I'll be going back to homefirst. I am deeply saddened that they have gone so far downhill because I used to love them.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#25 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordyn View Post
Wow....you people are vicious. All I did was ask some questions, and gave my OPINION on what you were talking about. Put down the pitch-forks and torches. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. If something doesn't make sense to you, do you just go with it, or do you ask a question? Why do kids as "Why?"; it's because they want to know Why. The way I do something is different than the way that you do something. I know why I do it they way I do.....but, I don't understand why you do what you do your way. Do you understand where I am coming from? If I sounded harsh in my first post, I'm sorry...but help me understand where you all are coming from. That is a new way of thinking for me.
Take it to PM if you want to insult people. We were not vicious. Your post most certainly was.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#26 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Closed pending review. I just don't have time right now, sorry!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page