Not Mamas...YET - Part IX (April/May 2007) - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMiller View Post
I hope everyone is having a great day! The weather here was beautiful and I spent it mostly playing with the nephew...I bought him his first thing of bubbles. It was fun to watch him running around outside while his mother was blowing them.

I am going to look at a rental house out in Lind, WA. I am so excited about this house, it sounds absolutely perfect, the rent is exactly what I wanted and the landlords are willing to split the deposit up into smaller chunks!! He isn't even asking for a pet deposit for my dog!!! My Dad is taking me to look at it around the 13th or 14th. I'm really trying to think positive about this and am absolutely estatic. I got really good vibes from the landlord I talked to, his parents are partners with him on it. So keep you fingers crossed for me guys!
Lind? Really? My inlaws moved to Lind a couple years ago. We are going to visit them there this weekend. It's just such a small town, I've never heard anybody else even mention it. DH and I kinda like it there. It's quiet and safe, and there's a good sense of community. We are thinking about moving to eastern wa after we're done with school, maybe even Lind or Ritzville. I didn't mention this before when you said you were looking for a midwife in eastern wa, because you said you were trying to find one that would be covered by your insurance, and I don't think she would be, but MIL is a midwife and lactation consultant in Lind. The reason I don't think your insurance would cover her is because she's not licensed. As far as I understand, it is legal to attend births in WA without a license, but it's not legal to charge for them. So she puts the charge for the birth down as a lactation consultation. She works a lot with the Mennonite (sp?) communities over there. She also runs a nursing/maternity supply store from Lind. Her business is mostly on the internet, but it is set up to take walk in customers as well. The inlaws are kind of crazy people. They bought the old Methodist church of Lind from ebay to live in . It's gigantic, but they have an amazing amount of stuff. Anyway, I hope the rental over there is a good fit. If you want anymore information just ask. Though, once you're there you could probably ask anyone on the street to point you in the direction of the crazy nursing bra lady and they'd know exactly who you were talking about!

ETA: and if that random person on the street warns you about the giant poisonous snakes roaming freely about the old church, don't believe them!

(FIL breeds snakes, but they aren't poisonous and are all in tanks. Ah the rumors about strange people that fly around small towns.)

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#92 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
I had a baby dream last night. I spoke yesterday to one of my best friends, who is pregnant with her second child, so I'm sure that's what brought it on.

In my dream, she and I were sitting in what seemed like a hotel room. Two queen-sized beds, and we each had one. Her kid was a little older than mine, but not much. I had, apparently, just gotten out of the hospital, and was having trouble breastfeeding. I called some LLL number, and ended up talking to a DUDE who was trying to walk me through different steps I could take.

What was weird, since my dreams are usually pretty out-there, was the realism of the dream. I could almost FEEL something when the kidlet nursed.
Aaah,you and i BOTH had weird breastfeeding dreams last night! I dreamed that i had just had our first baby and my MIL was trying to show me how to breastfeed, lol. She basically had whipped out her own breast and was tryna show me how a baby should correctly latch! But her boob looked so weird, it was all long and stretchy and i think in the middle of her demonstration, she plopped her breast into her own mouth! LOL!!! WILD RIGHT!? LOL!

I told my husband and he cracked up. The even funnier part is that my MIL never breastfed any of her children, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#93 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM

OOOH! My Best friend has been outta town for a week and she called me this morn to let me know that she had a dream I was pregnant!! Yay...I hope thats a good sign *fingers crossed*
#94 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denovagirl View Post
OOOH! My Best friend has been outta town for a week and she called me this morn to let me know that she had a dream I was pregnant!! Yay...I hope thats a good sign *fingers crossed*
Ahhh, you are prolly be expecting soon. With my best friend, i just KNEW she was pregnant before she even told me that she could be (all 3 of her kids were unplanned).

#95 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Ahhh, you are prolly be expecting soon. With my best friend, i just KNEW she was pregnant before she even told me that she could be (all 3 of her kids were unplanned).
Yay! I just love you for saying that! She's pretty intuative, so I hope y'all are right!
#96 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denovagirl View Post
Yay! I just love you for saying that! She's pretty intuative, so I hope y'all are right!
Here you go lady!

#97 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Aaah,you and i BOTH had weird breastfeeding dreams last night! I dreamed that i had just had our first baby and my MIL was trying to show me how to breastfeed, lol. She basically had whipped out her own breast and was tryna show me how a baby should correctly latch! But her boob looked so weird, it was all long and stretchy and i think in the middle of her demonstration, she plopped her breast into her own mouth! LOL!!! WILD RIGHT!? LOL!

I told my husband and he cracked up. The even funnier part is that my MIL never breastfed any of her children, lol.
Lucky for me, mine did NOT involve my future MIL's breasts.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#98 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Lucky for me, mine did NOT involve my future MIL's breasts.
LOLOLOL!!!! Its messed up that i know what her boobies look like in real life too. I had to help take care of her after she had an extreme back surgery back in Dec. LAWDY LAWDY!

#99 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Two hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
I have that issue, Shanna. The links he gave:
http://saints.oca.org/IconDirectory/...sheroflife.jpg
www.iconsexplained.com/iec/lib/02461.htm
www.ikonenbilder.de/images/m/B347.jpg
(He gave a fourth, but the link didn't work for me)

I also have this link saved, which has tons more than just those few: http://www.fisheaters.com/marialactans.html
Thanks for posting those, Steph. I didn't check out the sites before I lent the magazine to you - those depictions are gorgeous .

Christina, you're a Senior citizen!!!!! Have you thought of a title yet? Will you think of one for me????

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateraddict View Post
Shanna - I'm sure you are off enjoying your babymoon but just in case you are lurking here I just want to say congratulations again. I found the post from your DH and I thought it was so sweet. Then I found the birth story and it brought (happy) tears to my eyes. You did so wonderful and are such a wonderful inspiration. It's wonderful to hear how calm you were throughout. Good job mama.:
: Thanks.

I just finished reading the Continuum Concept and it was pretty amazing. She gives a multi-page description of a day in the life of a "civilized" baby and what it communicates to them and it about ripped my heart out . She describes a theory that a crying baby has no feeling of hope because they don't have a sense of time passing .
#100 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 05:36 PM

denovagirl,

the month i conceived two different friends called me and told me they had dreams about me being pregnant....

Busy mama of
#101 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Angel- What a small world huh?? Most people I have mentioned it to have no idea where it is, they can't even guess its in Eastern Washington. I would love any info you have, I looked at the Lind website and it had listings of businesses and I remember seeing a baby store, must be the same one! I am going to look at it most likely on the 14th, my Dad won't give me an exact date yet because he is strange like that. As far as midwifes and my insurance, I truthfully don't know what insurance I will have when DH gets off active duty. I know I will have Tricare standard for sure and they cover homebirths 100%, if I go about it right. Just PM me whatever you think might be helpful I guess! TIA!

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#102 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmama View Post
denovagirl,

the month i conceived two different friends called me and told me they had dreams about me being pregnant....

Yay! Wow you ladys are just making my day today on the boards here! I'll keep my fingers crossed, that's definately good news to my ears, thanks for sharing!!
#103 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Isabel View Post
Will you take monthly belly pics when it starts showing? :
Yep, just wait until that pg lady in my signature line is clickable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
ECing is Elimination Communication. I'll let Steph give an explanation, as I have to go get ready for work; I'm running late again. I can't wait to try that too (ECing)!
Explain something? Me? Now? I can barely drink a cup of tea without pouring half of it into my lap Here's the link to the resources thread in the MDC EC forum: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=482686 Hopefully one of those links is helpful.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#104 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the link Steph
#105 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 10:43 PM

:
So - it was my birthday yesterday. I have been so excited about this birthday for ages because it's a Saturn return year (28) and I really felt that this was going to be a good one!

We just got back from overseas with no spare money so I was not expecting and did not receive a gift from DP. I wasn't intending on a big day, I've still got an icky cold - but I like to feel appreciated on my birthday. It was pretty disappointing that not one of my friends (and I have many) remembered to call me, let alone send me a card. My Dad and his wife called, emailed and text messaged me a lot (they forgot a few years ago and still feel bad about it!) but when it came to making a plan to see me, they were simply not prepared to come and visit me (they live 2 hours away and since they moved away, I have done 95% of the visiting - they never visit us!) - they kept saying 'when are you coming up to see us?' - even though, they are in town at least once a week to visit my step-mums elderly mother. We had dinner with my mum and sister (and their partners) last night and I slumped further into birthday depression when, 5 minutes before we get to the restaurant, DP gets a msg from my sis asking what she should get me for my birthday. (same thing happened last year - and I ended up with nothing!) I also didn't get anything from my mum because she's 'out of cash and nothing I wanted could be put on credit card!'
None of this is a whine about material things. I wouldn't care if they gave me a box of dirt if it was thoughtful and meaningful. A scrap of paper with some nice words on it, is really all I'm after. I am the kind of person who goes out of my way to make people feel special on their birthdays. I always give gifts that have had great thought put into them and I guess, I'd like the same respect paid to me. KWIM?

ANYWAY, here's the doozy....
Dinner was nice - it really was. At the end, as we were walking to our cars, mum and I were discussing our housing drama (shitty house, 30% rent rise, potentially buying a house with A LOT of mum's help). We were talking about what we could afford on a weekly basis and what influencing factors there were. Although mum knows we want to have kids soon, she doesn't know how soon we are planning on it because she's an interferer and I don't want to deal with it until we absolutely have to. So, I say, 'well, we have to consider that pretty soon we'll be on one income for a year or two...' and she said 'but not until you've got more money and security...' and I say 'no mum, that's not something that we're concerned about...' AND SHE LOST IT! She said 'fine then' - got in her car and left!

So happy birthday Jess - the universe is here to remind your family isn't really prepared to know you well or respect your values and choices.
:

I think the thing that really bothers me is that Mum has made me doubt our decision. And she's making me question our values. Which is crap because I'm generally very secure in my values. I don't need wealth and status to be happy and secure. I am comfortable with the fact that we will never have much money. And when we do have money, I'd much prefer to spend it on travel than a mortgage. Being upper middle class is not something that I value...NOT.ONE.BIT.

Sheesh - I wish I could make her understand how privileged a wealthy we all really are! She's the one who needs a sense of perspective, not me...right???

Alright. Pity party over. Thanks for listening!!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#106 of 888 Old 04-04-2007, 11:10 PM

#107 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessper44 View Post
:
So - it was my birthday yesterday. I have been so excited about this birthday for ages because it's a Saturn return year (28) and I really felt that this was going to be a good one!

We just got back from overseas with no spare money so I was not expecting and did not receive a gift from DP. I wasn't intending on a big day, I've still got an icky cold - but I like to feel appreciated on my birthday. It was pretty disappointing that not one of my friends (and I have many) remembered to call me, let alone send me a card. My Dad and his wife called, emailed and text messaged me a lot (they forgot a few years ago and still feel bad about it!) but when it came to making a plan to see me, they were simply not prepared to come and visit me (they live 2 hours away and since they moved away, I have done 95% of the visiting - they never visit us!) - they kept saying 'when are you coming up to see us?' - even though, they are in town at least once a week to visit my step-mums elderly mother. We had dinner with my mum and sister (and their partners) last night and I slumped further into birthday depression when, 5 minutes before we get to the restaurant, DP gets a msg from my sis asking what she should get me for my birthday. (same thing happened last year - and I ended up with nothing!) I also didn't get anything from my mum because she's 'out of cash and nothing I wanted could be put on credit card!'
None of this is a whine about material things. I wouldn't care if they gave me a box of dirt if it was thoughtful and meaningful. A scrap of paper with some nice words on it, is really all I'm after. I am the kind of person who goes out of my way to make people feel special on their birthdays. I always give gifts that have had great thought put into them and I guess, I'd like the same respect paid to me. KWIM?

ANYWAY, here's the doozy....
Dinner was nice - it really was. At the end, as we were walking to our cars, mum and I were discussing our housing drama (shitty house, 30% rent rise, potentially buying a house with A LOT of mum's help). We were talking about what we could afford on a weekly basis and what influencing factors there were. Although mum knows we want to have kids soon, she doesn't know how soon we are planning on it because she's an interferer and I don't want to deal with it until we absolutely have to. So, I say, 'well, we have to consider that pretty soon we'll be on one income for a year or two...' and she said 'but not until you've got more money and security...' and I say 'no mum, that's not something that we're concerned about...' AND SHE LOST IT! She said 'fine then' - got in her car and left!

So happy birthday Jess - the universe is here to remind your family isn't really prepared to know you well or respect your values and choices.
:

I think the thing that really bothers me is that Mum has made me doubt our decision. And she's making me question our values. Which is crap because I'm generally very secure in my values. I don't need wealth and status to be happy and secure. I am comfortable with the fact that we will never have much money. And when we do have money, I'd much prefer to spend it on travel than a mortgage. Being upper middle class is not something that I value...NOT.ONE.BIT.

Sheesh - I wish I could make her understand how privileged a wealthy we all really are! She's the one who needs a sense of perspective, not me...right???

Alright. Pity party over. Thanks for listening!!
I'm sorry your bday was so horrible.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)
#108 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post

I just finished reading the Continuum Concept and it was pretty amazing. She gives a multi-page description of a day in the life of a "civilized" baby and what it communicates to them and it about ripped my heart out . She describes a theory that a crying baby has no feeling of hope because they don't have a sense of time passing .
i just started reading that its such an amazing book

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#109 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Oooooh, now I must check frequently!

Jess, sorry your bday was disappointing. I totally understand what you mean about the presents.
And about your mother - don't let her attitude mess with your values. My mother also has a way to make me feel very unsure about certain things, and it sucks. That's a big reason of why I avoid her - she just will never understand me and I don't want to deal with it all. So I can relate, it's really hard.

If it's really important for you to have a special day for yourself...
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Maybe you could choose another day to be "special Jess day", maybe in a month or so, and send cards to your family telling them about it and that you expect little, cheap, meaningful presents (so they don't have excuses) and just generally that they make you feel special? I don't know.

Almost forgot...
Happy birthday!! :
#110 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM

Jess, I'm sorry your birthday didn't turn out like you had hoped. Along the lines of what Isabel suggested, can you treat yourself to a special day just by yourself? Like if you like to read, go read for half the day in a park or coffeeshop? Or if you like movies, go see a matinee? When I'm feeling like my friends/family don't "get" me or my values, it helps to reconnect with myself and who I am...

Quote:
I have a question too. For those of us yet to TTC (and those TTCing and are pregnant can answer this too), how hands on will you be in conceiving? Will you chart and temp regularly to figure what exact days you are most fertile and then BD like crazy or will you take a more laid back approach and say, it will happen when it will happen? Or maybe you'll do something in between, temp and chart, but only have sex when you feel like it?

Also, will/did you celebrate the day/time you started TTCing? Like, sometimes i envision us taking a relaxing, romantic trip to celebrate TTCing and then if we conceive while away, we could be like "Our first was conceived on vacation in Tahiti." or something like that, lol. Other times im like, I want to conceive our first in the very same place that I want them to be born...at home...lovingly, simply, romantically. : *shrugs* I dunno, i guess what Im asking is, how big a deal will you/did you make of starting your TTC journey?
We're both not drinking alcohol or having any caffeine for 3 months before we TTC, so I want to maximize how we use our time so DH can get back to enjoying his homebrewed beer as soon as possible. So yes, I'm temping and charting CM, and we'll BD like crazy around O time.

I haven't really thought about whether we'll celebrate when we start TTC...that's a good idea! I'll mention it to DH. We're also taking a lot of trips already this spring/summer, so we won't be able to afford a special trip the first month we TTC. But we are planning a trip to New York City for this fall for just the two of us. Maybe I'll calculate out when I'll be Oing and if we're not pg by then, we'd have a cool story if it happens in NYC. :

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#111 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Have you seen this?

Big to Jess. I'm sorry your birthday wasn't everything that you wanted. You deserved much better!
Any updates on the whole baby thing? When are you planning on getting pregnant? And have you decided who the donor is?
#112 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
That link's not working, Afton (because of the \ at the end), but I knew which one you were talking about before I even clicked on it. I have it saved in my bookmarks. I also read the "behind the scenes" for it somewhere which explained how they did it. They kept their camera in the same place for the entire 9 months! I couldn't do that

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#113 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 AM

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY JESS!!!

, I'm sorry your birthday wasn't that great. Don't let your mom get you down. You are not wrong to have different priorities. We would also rather spend our money on traveling than having nice things and a big house. I know a lot of people that just don't get that too. Just do what makes you guys happy.

I like the idea of a special "Jess day" too. You could do something inexpensive, like going on a picnic at the park.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#114 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That link's not working, Afton (because of the \ at the end), but I knew which one you were talking about before I even clicked on it. I have it saved in my bookmarks. I also read the "behind the scenes" for it somewhere which explained how they did it. They kept their camera in the same place for the entire 9 months! I couldn't do that
Okay, thanks. I think I fixed it.
#115 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have a question too. For those of us yet to TTC (and those TTCing and are pregnant can answer this too), how hands on will you be in conceiving? Will you chart and temp regularly to figure what exact days you are most fertile and then BD like crazy or will you take a more laid back approach and say, it will happen when it will happen? Or maybe you'll do something in between, temp and chart, but only have sex when you feel like it?

Also, will/did you celebrate the day/time you started TTCing? Like, sometimes i envision us taking a relaxing, romantic trip to celebrate TTCing and then if we conceive while away, we could be like "Our first was conceived on vacation in Tahiti." or something like that, lol. Other times im like, I want to conceive our first in the very same place that I want them to be born...at home...lovingly, simply, romantically. : *shrugs* I dunno, i guess what Im asking is, how big a deal will you/did you make of starting your TTC journey?
Well, I just started temping, actually. This is my last cycle on BCPs, but I wanted to start the habit now. Plus I also wanted to chart what effects these awfuls things have on me.

But we're not starting TTCing until August. We want to do a love/fertility type ritual (yet to be designed) to mark this point in our lives and to get the magic flowing Whether it happens at home or not, well, I dunno. I wouldn't mind conceiving in VT, since that is where DH proposed. Or maybe up in ME at my grandparents' summer cottage, where we spent part of our honeymoon. We'll see what happens

-------------------------------------------------'
Jess, I'm sorry your birthday was so lousy.

Come ponder with me about food!
#116 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM

Okay, check out the new siggy. I really need to get started on end of the year RA stuff and studying for finals. So, I'm out for about a month.

I think I just disabled PMs, but enabled sending me an email, in case you really want to get in contact with me. :

Lots of to barose, cking, denovagirl, and earthymama2b! Hopefully there will be 4 when I get back!

And Holiztic will probably have a !!!

Okay, I really must go now. I have a paper to write.

Lots of and a to all of my dear NMY. Bye!
#117 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 12:36 PM

everyone is getting pregnant it must be a fertile year

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#118 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Afton we'll miss you! Good luck!
#119 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 01:23 PM

Wanted to stop in and tell you all that I have a MW appt today and I am trying to calm my nerves down about my BP. I got an automatic BP monitor for home this week, and have been checking it myself. It is pretty erratic, mostly a little high (130/85 ish), often normal (115/75 ish) and occassionally (when I get nervous!!) it goes UP UP UP. This makes me think it is a little physiological and a lot psychological. BTW: I have NO others signs of pre-e, so I'm not concerned about that. But If I can't relax at my appt today, and they get a high reading.... I am not sure what they are going to want to do!!!

So I am doing an herbal program for hypertension in pregnancy (non-pre-e) and just trying to chill out (lots of baths!).

I'll try to keep you all posted.

Oh, and I haven't been able to keep up so I don't know what's going on with most of you , but love to the Shanna et al and YAY! to Steph!
#120 of 888 Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 PM

Hang in there Elizabeth!! :

Try slow, deep breathing (i know, duh, but it does help)

Busy mama of

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page