Any one in Costa Rica? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there, I am in the Central Valley. anyone else out there in CR? Private message me if so.
Thanks
#2 of 41 Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM

We are here visiting for another 10 days... we live in Canada right now but are seriously considering buying a home here so we could live here part of the year... probably on the south coast near Dominical...

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#3 of 41 Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 PM

Dh is Costa Rican and we will be moving back there in one year, possibly sooner. We stay in Santa Ana but will be living on our land in Guanacaste near the beach once we get settled in. I was surprised there is no Central American tribe.
#4 of 41 Old 04-01-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonsmom View Post
Hey there, I am in the Central Valley. anyone else out there in CR? Private message me if so.
Thanks

We've just moved to San Jose. We are staying with friends out in Belen (close to the airport), but will be moving to the San Francisco area of San Jose to start language school at the end of this month.
#5 of 41 Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 PM

I'm here, I'm here! In Escazú.
#6 of 41 Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM

i have a friend who is moving there in the fall.
i too am surprised this is not a bigger tribe.

any more from this area?!

maybe i can get my friend to become a member here to connect w/ those who posted here
#7 of 41 Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 AM

we got back from CR about 2 weeks ago... it was our 3rd trip in 2 years and we plan to be back in the fall if we can swing it... we're definitely wanting to buy property near Dominical and we need to find some other families with kids of similar ages next time... my kids love CR but miss their friends in Canada when we're away...

#8 of 41 Old 04-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Is there an area that would ben nice to live for Sept- March close to the beach where you can get high speed internet and not pay insane rent??? We are wanting to rent our place out here on Vancouver Island, BC and go somewhere warm for a while.. My husband had a job where he can work from anywhere as long as we have high speed internet

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#9 of 41 Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmom View Post
Is there an area that would ben nice to live for Sept- March close to the beach where you can get high speed internet and not pay insane rent??? We are wanting to rent our place out here on Vancouver Island, BC and go somewhere warm for a while.. My husband had a job where he can work from anywhere as long as we have high speed internet
I'm not exactly near the beach, but you can get there in 2 hours Want to swap houses?

We have a little place (3 bed, 2 bath) in the mountains of San Antonio de Escazu. High speed internet, car, backyard with fruit trees, spring water piped to the house.

We'd love to go hang out in BC for a bit!!
#10 of 41 Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Oh my god! I am so excited! I'm moving there in August. We'll be in Santa Ana. We move August 11th.

I am so happy to know I'll have some mothering neighbours!

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#11 of 41 Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM

Hey a house exchange might work out..email me!
kimnrobinson@mac.com

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#12 of 41 Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 AM

We have a house in Turrialba in the Central Valley about an hour and a half bus ride east from San Jose. We only live there one month a year (just returned to Minnesota in March), but my 4 yo is begging to go back because he misses his friends. Today he "wrote" a letter to his best friend down there.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#13 of 41 Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm here!! Living in Santa Ana - would LOVE to meet some like minded women!!! Feeling a little lonely since arriving here in December from Canada.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#14 of 41 Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM

lifeguard-->there's a playgroup in the Escazu/Santa Ana. Interested?
#15 of 41 Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM

I might be - but baby doesn't arrive until Oct/Nov.

#16 of 41 Old 05-15-2008, 09:27 PM

new to mothering community on line, will be new to c.r. in november!

anyone in the south central area? chirripo? san isidro? that would be really helpful to find some mamaz to help with adjustments and important info tid-bits!

thanks!
shelley
and co.
#17 of 41 Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 AM

I will be moving to CR in about 2 months or so, we will be living in the Santa Ana area, any homeschooling moms?
#18 of 41 Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonboni View Post
I will be moving to CR in about 2 months or so, we will be living in the Santa Ana area, any homeschooling moms?
We are living on the south east side of San Jose, right now, while we are at language school, but will be moving around to the other side of the city (to San Antonio de Belen - just north of Santa Ana) this December. While we are here in Costa Rica, I will be homeschooling my oldest for pre-school, kindergarten and 1st grade.
#19 of 41 Old 06-14-2008, 05:01 AM

Can anyone tell me about midwives in CR? A good friend who lives in Dominical is pregnant with her first and wanted to know about how midwives worked in CR... like do the do home births? hospital births? how much do they cost? Thanks

#20 of 41 Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 AM

I am actually meeting with a midwife tomorrow. Unfortunately the law here is not very favourable to midwives. They are ONLY allowed to practice in medical centres - but there are no medical centres that accept them (at least in my area - Santa Ana). Home births are illegal.

PM me if you want the contact info for the midwife I am seeing or for more info. We haven't decided if we're going to use the midwife or not.

#21 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 PM

For all of you US citizens living in the San Jose area:

http://www.americancolonycr.org/programs.html

This is a 4th of July picnic originally hosted by the embassy for any US citizen. It is now held each year at Cerveceria Costa Rica.
#22 of 41 Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 AM

We are moving to CR in August. I don't even know where yet. I have never been there before but it feels right for us. I am excited and nervous at the same time!
#23 of 41 Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Let us know when you know where you're going to be locating.

#24 of 41 Old 07-17-2008, 02:39 AM

I know we are landing in SJ but we can't seem to find a landing pad to stay at. I don't want to rent somewhere over the net cause you never really know what you are going to get.

We were thinking of Tamarindo as a first stop but we are still unsure.

Any feedback on your areas would be great!!
#25 of 41 Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum View Post
I know we are landing in SJ but we can't seem to find a landing pad to stay at. I don't want to rent somewhere over the net cause you never really know what you are going to get.

We were thinking of Tamarindo as a first stop but we are still unsure.

Any feedback on your areas would be great!!
Sounds like you are intertested in beach areas. Just recognize that the beach areas tend to be a lot pricier than inland areas. If you are looking to be around a lot of gringos then most major beach communities are the way to go but be prepared to pay top dollar for a livable rental. If you are looking for an experience where you get to be more a part of Costa Rican culture then I personally prefer the Central Highlands.

How long are you going to stay? Do either of you speak Spanish? How did you come to the decision to move to CR? I'm just curious given that you have never been there.

Our favorite place is Turrialba (about an hour and a half bus ride east from SJ). There are a few tourists (mostly students at the 2 nearby Spanish schools). Prices aren't inflated and the people are very friendly. We like it so much there that we bought a house that we rent out when we aren't there.

#26 of 41 Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 AM

Ok. So we decided that we are going to check out the San Isidro area. We've heard nice things about it. We just thought of Tamarindo as a place to go check out when we arrive. We do not want to live in a touristy area.

No, we do not speak Spanish but we will learn. Dd is 4 so she will pick it up quickly and then teach us

Why CR? The govt seems stable for the area. We hear there is good infrastructure, good education, goos health care, good climate, good growing conditions (we want a farm). It seems to fit our criteria so we are going to go see if we can make a good life out there.
#27 of 41 Old 07-24-2008, 02:21 PM

When are you coming down? I would definitely recommend taking some spanish lessons when you get here. There are lots of very affordable options & the lessons have been a lifesaver for me - really makes life less stressful.

I had to laugh at the "good infrastructure" - the roads are not good! You're used to driving in the rockies - these are mountains but the roads are Nothing like what you are used to BC/Alberta - lol! You'll get used to them though!

Straighthaircurly - I'd love more info on the place you rent out?!

#28 of 41 Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Yep, I had a bit of a chuckle on the infrastructure too. Roads and sidewalks are in horrific condition compared to what we are used to. The education system is solid in that there is a high attendance rate, high graduation rate, and a high literacy rate. However, it is a pretty one-size fits all system from our experience so far.

Our house is in a quiet little neighborhood on the edge of Turrialba. No oceans in that part of Costa Rica but fantastic birding, tons of river adventures, few tourists, an active volcano, and lots of other natural and cultural experiences available. From the front yard we have an excellent view of the smok/ash plumes from Volcan Turrialba. The back yard is adjacent to a cow pasture operated by a wonderful Costa Rican named Victor who puts us on his milk route when we are there (mmmm...very delicious raw milk...he is an artist with his milk). The house is a simple one story 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom home. We bought it 2 years ago right after it was built and we have completed a lot of additional work on it (finished the kitchen, added the traditional outdoor laundry space, turned the original laundry space into a wonderful breakfast nook with a long counter). We have kept it very basic and Costa Rican (furnishings are all by local artisans/woodworkers) but it is a nice clean, well lighted home. Next winter we want to start thinking about landscaping and adding some native plants. It is available for rent except for the month of February when we come down. We have a good relationship with a Spanish school nearby (5 minute walk) http://www.adventurespanishschool.co...albacampus.php
and they use it occasionally for students/families that don't want a homestay. And we rent it by the week or month to any other interested parties but haven't started advertising it yet. We have a great network of Costa Rican friends in the town who help watch over everything when we aren't there. Oh man, now I want to get on a plane and fly down there immediately...

Once DS starts school this fall I need to get working on a website with pics of the place.

Lifeguard I love your blog. You capture Costa Rica beautifully. My DH and I often sigh and say that the people who built our house had no business building a house and fortunately we are steadily improving things. The first time we were down there after purchasing it we only had 2 weeks available. My DH decided to improve the security of the back door by straightening the door jamb and then adding a heavier duty deadbolt. He starts to pull off the wooden trim and the entire concrete door frame crumbles to the floor. We were due to fly home the next afternoon! Apparently the guys who built the house let that concrtete get too hot in the sun instead of keeping it damp and cool. As a result it didn't cure properly. Fortunately one of our good friends came to our rescue and happens to be a concrete expert. He and DH worked half the night and all the next morning to get it so that we could lock the house when we left.

And what is it with plumbing in CR! It all leaks. This February my DH spent the entire month working on the plumbing to get it to not leak. He was almost 100% successful but the kitchen drain still drips a tiny bit. And we finally got our shower drains to work as designed. Turns out the guy who built the house washed huge amounts of concrete down them, which then solidified and blocked 90% of the water flow.

Then there was the lack of all electrical grounding for the house. There was a grounding wire in the attic space but they had neglected to connect it to anything. They also hooked the wires up the opposite of normal ...DH was nearly electrocuted over that error (fortunately he had a special tool that day that warns of live wires)...yikes! But we love it all anyway and can't wait to get back.

#29 of 41 Old 07-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Straighthaircurly - Your house sounds lovely.

I am sitting here giggling at your accounts of costa rican construction. The house we are in is currently on the market (we are in a rental through dh's job) for 3/4 million dollars!!! The construction is CRAP. Windows leak, doors don't lock, toilets refuse to flush, shower door doesn't close, tiles are lifting, etc, etc, etc.

I am home all day & there is a lot of new construction around us - I get such a kick out watching how things are built. I really have no faith that eventually this entire community is not going to end up sliding right down the mountainside. Scary stuff!

It keeps us entertained though!

#30 of 41 Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM

Amazing isn't it! But houses would be like that in the US if we didn't have building code enforcement (and even with that builders are cutting corners wherever allowed to get away with it).

3/4 of a million! OMG, I can't even dream of that. The building frenzy in CR is scary. And the appreciation of home values is a bit frightening. Even the quiet little town we are in is experiencing a building boom (though no houses are anywhere near that expensive) so we have already seen a huge value increase on our humble little home. And after your description I am feeling very lucky. Our windows are good, our toilets flush and no tiles are lifting. Of course all the new work we are having done is top quality because we are either doing it ourselves or hiring friends while we are there to supervise. My only disappointment right now is the friend we hired to make our dining room table and chairs. We ordered them right before we left and they were supposed to be done in April. They still haven't been delivered and we have another friend pestering him weekly. I don't think they will be there until maybe right before we come back in Feb.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page