Mothering Forum banner

PDX MAY thread.....

53K views 3K replies 65 participants last post by  bred 
#1 ·
#702 ·
there is lots i wanted to respond to:

about the having more babies talk

about the gassy baby

block feeding: nursing from one side only for a set period of hours (not switching during one feed), then nursing from the other side only for a set period of hours of the same amount. particularly helpful for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (green poops).

i know there is more, but i am tired and need to drink my tea and unwind.

ttfn, mamas...

~claudia

#703 ·
Hrmm, I don't see why d'congest wouldn't be OK to use while breastfeeding if it is OK to use on baby. Of course up until recently I only had the old version that you rubbed onto the chest.. I didn't even know there was some you inhailed until I ran out and bought more.

Also on Asthma, DH used to have asthma. He didn't often have attacks though. In 2001 he became a vegetarian and hasn't had an asthma attack since. And it's not really that he is eating better as my ND thought/thinks. He still eats all the "fake" boxed crap. I think he was allergic to beef. Although what usually set him off was my mom's cig smoke. That doesn't even set him off now.

#704 ·
I just nursed the Buglet down to sleep and I'm listening to Dh laugh at some tv show in the living room while Beanie girl snores on the bed near me. G is asleep and Nate is in his room, either asleep or reading. Life is good. It's the simple things that mean so much. His laughter makes me smile. Which I really needed after checking the mail and finding a stack of bills, including a nasty letter from the student loans company {yipes}.

Life is good, despite the stress. I need to remind myself of that. Life is good. Don't sweat the small stuff. The bills won't matter when it's all said and done. Roll with it.

#705 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Any suggestions? I looked up the ingredients of d-congest, and unfortunately, it has elecampane in it, which I know is a breastfeeding don't. Although, I'm not sure if it is when inhaled, or just in tincture form. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Aw, sorry you're feeling poorly! Unfortunately nothing works for me but Albuterol and steroids, and I can't do the steriods any more. The grass is ramping up now just as the fruit trees are done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Yeah. She should have been in my house four hours after I drank some of DH's chocolate milk without thinking about a week ago.

Dunno. She seemed to know her stuff. She told me it would ease up at around 12 weeks, and she was right. It did. She said most of the stuff people associate with causing gas don't go through the breastmilk anyway. Not saying no one has trouble with allergies, just that people often attribute gassy baby problems to it, when really it sort of goes with the territory with a really young baby. Anyway, told you it might not be a popular view here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
I have heard the same. we have lots of food allergies in my family so I thought i better try to make sure. if it makes no difference over the next few weeks, I will let up.
can I just say I miss cheese and I am HUNGRY...!
One way or another, this too shall pass. I'm right there with you with the hard/sweet thing. Yes indeed. I remember that time being absolute hell, like it was so hard it was going to just crush me. At the same time, all that rocking, his little body, that sweet head on my neck. Another thing my LC told me was...it's really hard...and you'll miss it. Yep.

Must get ready for work!

#706 ·
Quote:

Man, my asthma has gotten horrible. Horrible. Horr-i-ble. I've been using my inhaler at least once an hour all day, and I sound like a peacock if I go to long without using it.

I've been trying to find something herbal that would do something, but it seems that a lot of things are contraindicated in breastfeeding, and we are still exclusively breastfeeding, so I want to be sure that I don't hurt Ruby trying to make myself better.

Any suggestions? I looked up the ingredients of d-congest, and unfortunately, it has elecampane in it, which I know is a breastfeeding don't. Although, I'm not sure if it is when inhaled, or just in tincture form. Can anyone clear this up for me?
is d-congest herbal or homeopathic? anything homeopathic is compatible with breastfeeding, and many herbs are too - what source are you using for your breastfeeding compatibility research. there is a newish book by shiela humphries, called "the nursing mother's herbal" and there is another one too, i can't recall the title of. i have them at work, and can look up herbs there on mondays when i am in. kellymom.com has quite a bit of herbal info too - i see she DOES list elecampane as unsafe. i'd be curious to look up more info in one of the books. it depends on the age of your nursling for many meds/herbs too.

#707 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post

"Yeah. She should have been in my house four hours after I drank some of DH's chocolate milk without thinking about a week ago."

Dunno. She seemed to know her stuff. She told me it would ease up at around 12 weeks, and she was right. It did. She said most of the stuff people associate with causing gas don't go through the breastmilk anyway. Not saying no one has trouble with allergies, just that people often attribute gassy baby problems to it, when really it sort of goes with the territory with a really young baby. Anyway, told you it might not be a popular view here.

Another thing my LC told me was...it's really hard...and you'll miss it. Yep.

Must get ready for work!
was i your LC? LOL! no, seriously though, allergies are a totally different story than "taboo foods". if a baby is sensitive or allergic to dairy, or anything - it can be extreme - up to and including blood in the stool, etc.

but broccolli and onions, beans and spices, etc. will not cause problems for the majority of babies - think of what babies' mothers in india, mexico, thailand, etc. are eating! some babies are more sensitive to specific foods, and do get gassy, but for the most part, my experience has been that many babies go through a gassy/fussy phase, regardless of mom's diet.

i personally felt i wasted weeks of my life with my first baby, stressing over what foods to eat or not eat, trying to identify what she was reacting to. i never found it, and by 3 months or so, her gassiness went away and i was eating everything.

of course, you said that there are lots of allergies in your family, so i can understand focusing on that first, in your case. but the hyper-spraying milk can certainly cause gassiness too - have you tried taking him of the breast periodically and burping, then re-latching? you can also put the heel of your palm close to your armpit, right when the milk is letting down and apply pressure, and that can sometimes slow the initial let-down flow. also, using gravity to your advantage - laying back so you are reclining and baby is "face-down" and the milk is flowing "up hill" can help him control the flow too and not swallo as much air...

i have seen some folks theorize that oversupply can be a result of allergy in the *mother* - no idea if there is research to support this.

the one thing i *would* do with a future baby (which i won't be having) is cranial sacral therapy. but specifically for digestive stuff, if that was a problem. have you seen dr. amy since the fussies started?

warmly,

#708 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for the thoughts about love and babies and the second one. Im the type of person that has to talk about it, and then I get it out or atleast have processed it some and I feel SO MUCH BETTER, it will be a change but one for the best! I really cant wait to meet this little guy
:

Mamadaisy... I esp thought of you when I was posting that. I remember when I first found out I was pregnant you posted about your time with the two boys and I havnt gotten that off my mind. I wanted to personally thank you for the truth of your post. I believe in so much that you wrote, will be true for me, ( not being able to be with otis at night, having daddy do it, those things, as well as how I feel about being a parent and my standards) I just really want you to know that I APPRECIATE your post alot, I will remember that when the time comes. Hugs!

Off to pick up our friend rochelle and the kiddos and take em to the zoo! I get to hold a new babe

#709 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
is d-congest herbal or homeopathic? anything homeopathic is compatible with breastfeeding, and many herbs are too - what source are you using for your breastfeeding compatibility research. there is a newish book by shiela humphries, called "the nursing mother's herbal" and there is another one too, i can't recall the title of. i have them at work, and can look up herbs there on mondays when i am in. kellymom.com has quite a bit of herbal info too - i see she DOES list elecampane as unsafe. i'd be curious to look up more info in one of the books. it depends on the age of your nursling for many meds/herbs too.
You know, I don't see that ingredient in either the topical rub or the clearing mist.

I have D.Congest/RX by gratefulbody

http://www.gratefulbody.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=RX

The ingredients are at the side of the page. Unless you are using a different brand.

#710 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
This may not be a popular view here, but my LC told me not to eliminate foods, that my eating broccoli or cheese or whatever was not going to cause gas in my baby, it's just that his digestive system was just going through its paces, and most babies go through it. She said lots of people give up xyz, and then think oh, that worked...but really it's just that the phase had passed.
ITA with both Zeldabee and Lyla.

Olivia had "colic" aka crying inconsolably for 4 hours in a row from 5-12 weeks of age. Her little belly was so hard and she would arch her back and be in misery. All my "hippie" friends (as dh puts it) told me to cut out this and cut out that. I pretty much had decided unless I was positive it was an allergy, I wouldn't cut it out. Magically, it went away when we started putting Livi to bed earlier and earlier (following her lead) and she stopped crying at night in our arms. I don't know if it was an early bedtime, an immature gut, or just plain luck. But one thing I do know is it wasn't eliminating any food.

Pauline-I'm remembering Sophia's hard belly and sad sad cry
Awwww....remember?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I think I have blocked ducts on one boob on the side. Never had this before. It hurts and I feel achy and tired. I'm trying to drink lots of water and I took a hot shower and massaged it. Then had Jake eat with his bottom lip on the sore side (that was a bit tricky). Am going to bed. Anything else I should do? I also did a healing session on myself. I've read about what other people have done but cannot remember anything, sorry. Thanks.
I was always told it was the opposite, point the nose towards the bump. Well... I guess if you try both of them then at least one will work
Clogged ducts/mastitis sucks!!! I had multiple cases of plugged ducts that led to 2 cases of mastitis. It wasn't until I started taking lecitithin that I realized I wasn't having anymore problems.

#711 ·
Quote:

of course, you said that there are lots of allergies in your family, so i can understand focusing on that first, in your case. but the hyper-spraying milk can certainly cause gassiness too - have you tried taking him of the breast periodically and burping, then re-latching? you can also put the heel of your palm close to your armpit, right when the milk is letting down and apply pressure, and that can sometimes slow the initial let-down flow. also, using gravity to your advantage - laying back so you are reclining and baby is "face-down" and the milk is flowing "up hill" can help him control the flow too and not swallo as much air...
I tried that with DS. He would be POed! He would scream and his face would turn red. I figured that was worse than the gas. And gripe water did wonders for the gas. Like as soon as I gave it to him he was burping.

#713 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post

I was always told it was the opposite, point the nose towards the bump. Well... I guess if you try both of them then at least one will work
Clogged ducts/mastitis sucks!!! I had multiple cases of plugged ducts that led to 2 cases of mastitis. It wasn't until I started taking lecitithin that I realized I wasn't having anymore problems.
I always heard it was the chin!!

#714 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
I just nursed the Buglet down to sleep and I'm listening to Dh laugh at some tv show in the living room while Beanie girl snores on the bed near me.
Awe, I love that! Being surrounded by laughter is a great way to live.

#715 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EStreetMama View Post
There's also a stomach bug going around. As usual, huh?

Is she better now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
Oh Candice, I'm so sorry Tania is sick! My neighbor is sick, too. Not sure what she has, but maybe it's the same thing. I've been sick feeling too, but it's allergies. Still recovering from yesterday. I remembered my homeopathy today.
Yeah, she's better now, I think. We even got to go to the park a little later. Is it your awesome neighbor who makes beer that's sick?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I think I have blocked ducts on one boob on the side. Never had this before. It hurts and I feel achy and tired. I'm trying to drink lots of water and I took a hot shower and massaged it. Then had Jake eat with his bottom lip on the sore side (that was a bit tricky). Am going to bed. Anything else I should do? I also did a healing session on myself. I've read about what other people have done but cannot remember anything, sorry. Thanks.
It could be a plugged duct or mastitis. The achy and tired didn't come with a plugged duct for me, just with mastitis. With mastitis, I drank a lot of water and oj, massaged, did warm washcloths on it, and nursed that side first always. I hope you feel better soon.

#717 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadaisy View Post
See, you are good to think about this before the birth. I just trusted that I would love my second with the same immediacy and primacy that I loved my first. I trusted I would fall in love with him. However, I forgot that caring for a newborn, as much as you love them, is damned hard work and will take you away from caring for your first in the way that you are used to.
i composed a response, and it got lost... but i just wanted to say thank you, desirae, for sharing this. i totally relate, and i think it's such true and wonderful advice: "just be gentle with yourself"... i guess it applies to ALL mamas!

#719 ·
Thanks for all your responses! I am feeling a bit better this morning although my boob is still sore. Am not achy though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
heat, nurse a tonon that side, water water water!, i have some oil that my nd gave me, will bring on friday, phytolacca homeopath. monkey is crawling all overme, that's all i can think of rigt now.
plugged ducts suck

Thanks... I will see if I can pick up some phytolacca before Friday. Always good to have on hand, I figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
If all else fails, have DH suck. Really. With his chin on the side of the blockage.
It's a good thing he likes the taste... he was never bf as a baby. I will do that tonight if I am still sore.

Quote:

I love, love, love phytolacca decandra for that. Also, I take lentils, put them in a tube sock, and stick that in the microwave for a little bit. I personally think that lentils hold heat better than rice does, and it truly makes a great, super cheap hot compress that you can use over and over again. You can even just take the lentils out and wash the sock if it gets funky, then re-use the lentils. Lots of rest, and nurse on that side a lot.
That would work if I had a microwave!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
What is lecitithin and how do you take it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
It could be a plugged duct or mastitis. The achy and tired didn't come with a plugged duct for me, just with mastitis. With mastitis, I drank a lot of water and oj, massaged, did warm washcloths on it, and nursed that side first always. I hope you feel better soon.

Humm I really don't know the difference between plugged ducts and mastitis. Must look that up. Now to get my morning OJ!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Life is good, despite the stress. I need to remind myself of that. Life is good. Don't sweat the small stuff. The bills won't matter when it's all said and done. Roll with it.
: Love your attitude.

#720 ·
Ok can I come in here and cry for a moment? On top of teething Grey is sick........ mild fever.... cough...... super runny nose and I think in the past 2 nights I have gotten roughly 5 hours sleep. He wants to be bounced while he sleeps so my back is killing me. Normally I keep it together pretty well but today I feel raw. This won't last forever...................... right?

#723 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joi View Post
Ok can I come in here and cry for a moment? On top of teething Grey is sick........ mild fever.... cough...... super runny nose and I think in the past 2 nights I have gotten roughly 5 hours sleep. He wants to be bounced while he sleeps so my back is killing me. Normally I keep it together pretty well but today I feel raw. This won't last forever...................... right?
Yikes, Joi. Please let me know if you need anything.

#724 ·
Quote:

was i your LC? LOL! no, seriously though, allergies are a totally different story than "taboo foods". if a baby is sensitive or allergic to dairy, or anything - it can be extreme - up to and including blood in the stool, etc.

but broccolli and onions, beans and spices, etc. will not cause problems for the majority of babies - think of what babies' mothers in india, mexico, thailand, etc. are eating! some babies are more sensitive to specific foods, and do get gassy, but for the most part, my experience has been that many babies go through a gassy/fussy phase, regardless of mom's diet.

i personally felt i wasted weeks of my life with my first baby, stressing over what foods to eat or not eat, trying to identify what she was reacting to. i never found it, and by 3 months or so, her gassiness went away and i was eating everything.

i have seen some folks theorize that oversupply can be a result of allergy in the *mother* - no idea if there is research to support this.

the one thing i *would* do with a future baby (which i won't be having) is cranial sacral therapy. but specifically for digestive stuff, if that was a problem. have you seen dr. amy since the fussies started?

warmly,
How lucky we are to have our own MDC lacatation C giving us the words.
so, yes i have been block feeding, trying different positions and lots of burping. It does help. He hates that I burp him at night cause it wakes him up but he sounds like he is in a belching contest so I know he needs it. so so burpy. which is why the gas is probably from my wild milk and his gulping rather than foods. food allergies prolly wouldn't make him burp as soon as he nurses, right??
anyway, I know this will pass. He is so snuggly and sweet that it makes up for every minute of gassy crying x 10000000000000000000000
oh, and yes he has had several sessions with dr. amy.

#725 ·
quick question regarding dairy reactions...

if i feed my 10 1/2 month old yobaby , cheese, etc and he is screaming that evening and has a hard time being consoled, not wanting to nurse, would you consider he is having a dairy reaction?

he was a fussy newborn and gassy, perhaps that was a phase or reaction to me eating dairy, just wondering if any of you mamas might have something to add...neither of my other kiddos have had any reactions to dairy...

I'll research later, sleeping baby means I get a shower!

#726 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
quick question regarding dairy reactions...

if i feed my 10 1/2 month old yobaby , cheese, etc and he is screaming that evening and has a hard time being consoled, not wanting to nurse, would you consider he is having a dairy reaction?

he was a fussy newborn and gassy, perhaps that was a phase or reaction to me eating dairy, just wondering if any of you mamas might have something to add...neither of my other kiddos have had any reactions to dairy...

I'll research later, sleeping baby means I get a shower!

I've heard of those reactions being associated with an allergy. I'd cut out all dairy in an instant, with even the mere hint of an adverse reaction. It's just so troublesome to young bellies, even into the teens. It's personally not worth it to me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.