Progressive rural community in southern Wisconsin??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are looking to move somewhere affordable, kinda rural, and most importantly progressive/liberal in southern Wisconsin. Know of such a place?

We need space for a furniture workshop and our crazy dog, and since we love to walk, I'd love for the family to be closer to nature (we're in Chicago now! ). We'll still need to come back here a couple times a month for work and relatives, so that's why I say southern WI.

We would consider larger towns/cities too ~ Madison looks great, but I don't think we could afford something big enough there.

There's an outside chance that we might homeschool or unschool, but I'm also interested in knowing where some good, progressive schools are. I've been looking online, but I'm a little overwhelmed. Thought you mamas might be able to point me in the right direction.

Do you love where you live? Do you know of somewhere great?

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!!!!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM

www.wingraschool.org looks like an awesome school on their website, but as of now, we can't afford it. It's in Madison. We'll probably homeschool. WI has good vaccine exemption laws and homeschool laws. I think for homeschooling you just have to file a statement that you are homeschooling and take attendance for 180 days a year. Most rural areas in southern WI are pretty inexpensive to live in, but development seems to be popping up everywhere.

I'm dreaming of a little hobby farm where I can have a cow and some chickens, but right now we live in a small town.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#3 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Well we live just south of Madison, is Brooklyn. We moved here b/c we could afford a house...something that was going to be pretty hard in madison.
Its Very rural, but still only about 20 min to down town madison.
There are 3 organic farms here, and local CSA programs. Our town pres. is very liberal and I am on the recycling/sustainablity commity. Our fav thing about Brooklyn is the Bluegrass festival that was were a part of starting 2 years ago, this june will be our 3rd year and its just getting bigger and better!

We will look into Wingra when school rolls around for us...DS is only 2 right now so we have a while!

#4 of 10 Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 PM

I like Madison - but for a nice creative, progressive small town within commute time for Chicago there are many great communities to choose from. A few I have heard great things about include:

Viroqua - They have a great waldorf school community, a large number of homeschoolers for the population, traditional crafts workshops, a creative and interesting downtown area, many organic farms, etc. They even have a waldorf high school! Beautiful area.

Monroe - Small creative town, Green Cty. has homeschooling community, lots of farms, farther south (less commute time to Chicago). Not sure about other school/education options.

East Troy - This town is big on rural sustainable development, organic farming, they even have a new eco-village, a big biodynamic farm community, and a waldorf school. I don't know about the homeschooling community in that area. That is the closest to the Chicago area and is nice in that it is also close to the Kettle Moraine area, meaning hiking/biking/skiing trails too.

Good luck!
Denise

creative mom of two free-spirited boys (03/03, 11/04) : unschooling, nature loving, crafting, making, passion following family ribbonjigsaw.gif
#5 of 10 Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM

You may like the Lake Geneva area... http://www.cityoflakegeneva.com/

Or Delavan/Darien too. http://www.delavanwi.org/
#6 of 10 Old 05-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Yep I second Delavan/Darien Area. To me its got that small town feel, but also is a city unto itself( we live in delavan). I also like East Troy. Walworth County is a pretty good area to look. I know there is some nice pieces of land in Elkhorn as well.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 10 Old 05-12-2007, 05:46 PM

I second Viroqua. We'll hopefully be living there in the future. We'll be moving to LaCrosse this summer.
http://www.viroqua-wisconsin.com/
http://www.viroquamainststation.com/
#8 of 10 Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 PM

I love Lake Geneva!!!! Not super progressive yet, but getting there. I am working on it personally!

Jessica Siczkowycz

Student CPM with Birthspirit Holistic Midwifery Services

Labor Doula

Certified Placenta Encapsulator

Mommy to four amazing kiddos, married to the best husband ever

#9 of 10 Old 05-16-2007, 10:21 AM

I grew up in Monroe. Beautiful town, family values, great parks and rec department, good schools-- however, the town hasn't grown in years and very few young families seem to move there, mainly due to the last of jobs.

I wouldn't call Monroe progessive by any means, but it's a great place to grow up and I think you would find it an easy trek to other towns that offered what you were looking for. Good luck!!!
#10 of 10 Old 05-19-2007, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses. We'll be taking a bunch of road trips in June, so now we know what to check out.

Big hugs, mamas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page