Dr. Paul Fleiss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm taking my DD in for her 9 month WBV on Wednesday. We are seeing a NEW ped on Wednesday - Dr. Paul Fleiss in Los Angeles, for those of you who've heard of him.

Any questions I should be asking him? Any experiences with him? How does he feel about vaccinating? I am really excited to see him- I've heard good things about him, but just wanted to see if others on here have been to him and what their experiences are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 AM

How cool! Well, if you had a DS at least you'd know that's one doctor that'd never try to retract or talk you into a circ.

I'm not in your area or anything, I just saw this in the new posts and thought that was neat that you get to meet him and stuff. : I don't recall ever hearing one way or another what his vax stance is.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:38 AM

My chiropractor takes her 3 sons to him and none of them have had any vaccinations. I know that was one of the reasons that she chose him.

~heather

heather - wife to my wonderful husband , mama to Brenten William 12/29/06, and Devin Findley 10/20/09
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 AM

We used to take dd to Dr. Fleiss- he's awesome. Unfortunately, we moved a little further away, so we changed ped.'s but I'm thinking of just doing the 30-45 min. drive (w/ traffic) and going back to Fleiss because we haven 't found anybody who is accepting of us not vaxing. I really like the office and the people are pretty friendly. He is not against vaccines, but he is accepting if you choose not to and that's good enough for me.

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
Old 05-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Just subbing here. I am curious to know other people's reactions and experiences with him.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocado View Post
We used to take dd to Dr. Fleiss- he's awesome. Unfortunately, we moved a little further away, so we changed ped.'s but I'm thinking of just doing the 30-45 min. drive (w/ traffic) and going back to Fleiss because we haven 't found anybody who is accepting of us not vaxing. I really like the office and the people are pretty friendly. He is not against vaccines, but he is accepting if you choose not to and that's good enough for me.
We are a 30-45 minute drive, too, with traffic-- but I think it's worth it to go to someone you like. My other Ped was a waste of time b/c I felt like I was always bracing myself against him and his advice (not supportive of BF'ing, co-sleeping, etc.) Finally I felt like, "why am I wasting my money here?" I am hopeful that things will be better with Dr. Fleiss.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 AM

We go to Dr. Fleiss's office too -- and we're a 45 minute drive when traffic is good.

I his office! The staff is friendly, the kids are always comfortable there, and they are very open to non-vaxxers. I've never felt pressured and they are open to discussing any concerns you have. If I remember correctly, approximately 20-30% of the clientèle are non- and delayed vaxxers.

We actually see Dr. Dihn. She's very nice, great with the kids, and (obviously) has been trained well about intact boys. On our first visit, she explained how they are pro-vax but understand that each family makes their own choices. She was upfront in stating that they will ask on each visit if we've changed our mind and that we are free to talk about vaxes at any time. We just say no and go one with the rest of our visit.

The peace of mind we get is so worth it!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 AM

We've seen Dr. Fleiss and his staff since my first dd was born. I love it there.
The office, itself, is an old house - not some stuffy medical office. That was the first thing that I loved. I love that the midwives love him, and vice versa - he's totally supportive of out of hospital birth. I love that I do not get one hassle about not vaccinating. I said "we're not vaccinating" and they said "okay." No lecture, nothing. They had me sign a form though which I totally get. He's a BF advocate (as well as non-circ advocate) - he supports LLL in a major way. Never quick to prescribe antibiotics. The only down side is that unless you ask specifically, you usually don't see him. We usually see Laura, his nurse practitioner. She's amazing and sweet. I'm not sure how it's decided when he sees a child...we've seen him for our two first newborn visits, once when we thought Elea had botulism (middle of the night freak out we were having!! - turns out it was an ear infection!!) - and I think a few more times besides that. We typically only go for well baby visits so I think the nurse practitioners must do those for the most part.

I would definitely recommend the practice, for sure. So many AP families go there!!

AP HB Mama to three beautiful girls!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 AM

There are a number of AP families who visit Dr. Fleiss's office -- I'm thinking we should have a picnic or some kind of get together to meet one another!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, a picnic would be fun! I just got back from the appointment- it went GREAT! I saw Dr. Dinh and Dr. Fleiss both- it was a wonderful, wonderful visit. THIS is what the medical profession is suppsed to be like. :-)
Old 05-17-2007, 06:16 PM

We love Dr. Dinh and Fleiss. We don't vax and all we've ever had to do was check a box that said "non vax" when we filled out the newborn paperwork...we've never been asked about it since. When we told Fleiss about our UC he thought it was awesome...completely different from the other docs we interviewed that practically threatened to turn us in to CPS! Yikes. We had weight gain issues and saw Fleiss constantly for weight checks and he waived the fee so that we consulted with him for free. We love love LOVE him. And a picnic sounds great. =)
Old 05-31-2007, 09:12 PM

Does his office accept insurance? I am having pediatrician troubles at the moment and would love to switch but I can't afford a pediatrician that doesn't accept insurance. (We have a blue cross PPO.)

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:25 PM

That's what we've got. Our co-pays are $20 for office visits.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:39 AM

Dr. Fleiss is wonderful. He saw my 2 year old daughter on a Sunday afternoon for her dislocated elbow. He said it was better for him to do it quickly than run the risk that an ER doc wouldn't recognize it and subject my daughter to tests. He's a really special pediatrician. I don't know of other docs that so kindly see patients on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 AM

i had the very great pleasure of meeting dr. fleiss this past weekend at the lll conference, and all i have to say is...what a wonderful, nice person he is. he clearly enjoys working with little ones and is so dedicated. we live a bit south of you all so we see the other...ahem...ap friendly doctor that happens to be in socal.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:13 AM
Dar

Um, this is Heidi Fleiss's dad, yes? I know he's a pediatrician in L.A., so I'm assuming it's the same guy. I mean, I suppose all of the publicity around his daughter's... activities, and his being convicted of money laundering for her..activities really has nothing to do with his skills as a doctor... but I guess it would give me pause.

YMMV,

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 06-02-2007, 04:19 AM

I doubt it has much to do with him as a doctor. He's huge news in the anti-circ movement. He's very respected and really goes above and beyond the call for boys everywhere, as far as publishing info and being available for phone calls, from what I've heard.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Um, this is Heidi Fleiss's dad, yes? I know he's a pediatrician in L.A., so I'm assuming it's the same guy.
Yes, it is the same guy. He was also honored in Mothering Magazine as a Living Treasure. The fact of the matter is that some persons are wonderful in one aspect (as a pediatrician) and may be deficient in another (as a parent). He is human. He has paid his debt to society in the form of paying taxes, penalties, and interest, etc.

I have noticed sometimes that some people will forgive a murderer but not a white collar crime. Is it the "mens rea"?

Quote:
Does his office accept insurance?
When I have been to his office, yes, they do accept insurance. I never had insurance, but I always went to him and paid out of pocket as I would not go to any other pediatrician in the city. He is a gem.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 PM

I thought for sure he did not accept insurance! Thats great, I will have to tell people that!

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.

User Tag List