University of Michigan VBAC with midwives - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
SMR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there! I just wanted to post an email I got back today from a midwife at U of M.. I had a cesarean with my first there and wanna aim for a vbac with my second - which is no where close to being conceived at this point! But good info to know, I thought i'd pass it on in case anyone else was interested.. I was kind of impressed about the not inducing part.. makes me feel a lot better about the vbac in general!

Hi Shannon - yes, we do VBAC's. The differences are that you will need an IV (or a hep lock - a kinda IV without needing the tubing and fluid hook-up) and then continuous fetal monitoring. Hopefully by the time you are pregnant we will have monitors that do not need wires and so even though you are hooked up, you will be free to walk around the unit. The other difference is that studies have shown an increase in uterine rupture rate when patients are induced and so we do not do that. We wait for natural labor, which is preferable, no matter if you have had a previous section or not. Our VBAC success rate is 80%, which is really good. So good luck and please let me know if you have other questions. Trish Crane CNM

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 PM

Hey -- I'm a homebirth midwife and a doula in Ann Arbor. I have been at several VBACs with UofM midwives.

My experience with the UofM midwives and VBAC is that they are probably, as a group, the least fearful of VBACs of any hospital-based providers in the area. Prenatally, they don't do a lot to put fear into your head by saying that your VBAC will only work if the baby isn't too big (like 8lbs) or if you have adequate contractions or if you don't go past your due date. At birth, they monitor according to how strong your labor is -- I have seen a few moms on intermittent monitoring all the way up to 7-8 cms or so -- when things get really strong. They also already have telemetry monitors there. One of the nice things about telemetry is that it allows women to get into the tub while being continuously monitored.

Trish used to be the director of the midwifery program, but she is in another role now -- I think that she runs the triage program in L&D. Anyway, I don't think that she has done a lot of shifts as a midwife on L&d for a while, so maybe she isn't aware of how things have relaxed over time.

Hope you are encouraged!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#3 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
SMR

Defenestrator- Thank you so much for the info! That makes me feel even better! I MIGHT even be feeling like I'm ready to have 'gasp' another baby!! hahah ummm on second thouht, Lets wait a few more months!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :

#4 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
Hey there! I just wanted to post an email I got back today from a midwife at U of M.. I had a cesarean with my first there and wanna aim for a vbac with my second - which is no where close to being conceived at this point! But good info to know, I thought i'd pass it on in case anyone else was interested.. I was kind of impressed about the not inducing part.. makes me feel a lot better about the vbac in general!

Hi Shannon - yes, we do VBAC's. The differences are that you will need an IV (or a hep lock - a kinda IV without needing the tubing and fluid hook-up) and then continuous fetal monitoring. Hopefully by the time you are pregnant we will have monitors that do not need wires and so even though you are hooked up, you will be free to walk around the unit. The other difference is that studies have shown an increase in uterine rupture rate when patients are induced and so we do not do that. We wait for natural labor, which is preferable, no matter if you have had a previous section or not. Our VBAC success rate is 80%, which is really good. So good luck and please let me know if you have other questions. Trish Crane CNM
They actually have telemetry (the monitors that don't require wires) at U of M now--I just attended a birth there less than two weeks ago, and my client used them.
#5 of 6 Old 05-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Oops...sorry Defenstrator--should have read your reply *before* I posted.:
#6 of 6 Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
SMR

When Trish responded about the monitors, I was kind of shocked, because I remember them saying that they should have the wireless anytime when I went on the hosptal tour during my pregnancy! And that was 16 MONTHS ago!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page