Durham jury duty HELP! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I live in Durham NC and need help to find a local pro-BFing, pro-family attorney (or at least one who won't think I'm from Mars for nursing my 2-yr-old?) to give me a bit of advice & possibly to represent me if it goes that far. NC has 0 automatic exemptions and I been granted 2 deferrals already (had to fight hard for the last one when DD was 1, "don't you pump? why can't she have a bottle? heavy sighs...) and was told in no uncertain terms that I absolutely could not have another. I have letters from our ped, psychiatrist, and a therapist which I'm about to mail. There are many horror stories from NC- its truely barbaric. I have a 25 month old who nurses at least once/hr (thats a whole other subject!) and wicked separation anxiety. She's never been away from me for more than 3 hrs. Her older sister is a special needs child and obviously I'm a SAHM. None of that is guaranteed to give me a deferral but I'm hoping all of it together, if I can find out who to send the letters to (NOT the clerk of court who is sure I'm just trying to weasel out of jury duty), might do the trick. so who knows a good attorney in NC, preferrably Durham Co??

thanks so much,
julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 01:30 AM

Sorry, I only have experience with Federal jury duty, but check out these links:

This one has text of the NC law:
http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...s/page0018.htm

This one has tips:
http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...s/page0002.htm

Good luck!

mama to DS 9 and DD 5 and
#3 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
wow, i never had any problems. i'm not in durham, though. i'm in chapel hill. i just filled out the form on the back of the notice and said something like i was the primary caregiver for my two young children (did not give ages) and a nursing mother, too, and did not have other child care. i just got back an okay letter and have never been called since. that was probably 2 years ago since dd2 was older than 1, i know.

the links V gave are good ones.

i'll think on lawyers, but nobody is springing to mind...

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to two girls, Feb 2001
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Nov 2003
. DH
, and one crazy
. Riding in our zero-emission Leaf
!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

#4 of 4 Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 PM

I have an attorney in Hillsborough who works in/knows Durham county. Want his number? Pm me if you need it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page