PDX June thread

62K views 3K replies 68 participants last post by  OneWithTwo 
#1 ·
last months thread found HERE
ok mamas, get to chatting.

#2,688 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by buffybutt View Post
I want to start a blog, whats the best site to use wise mamas?
I use blogger. Its super easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by forsythia View Post
what are the four sites that support www.blurb.com ??
http://www.blurb.com/create/book/learn_more
This link says "Blog Slurpers: Turn your blog into a book - Slurp images, text, and comments from Blogger, LiveJournal, TypePad, and Wordpress.com"

#2,689 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommaof3 View Post
Concerts in the Park Schedule
Cool, I should take my kids to more music events, they like to dance
Anyone see the Wednesday Zoo concert schedule? Are there any that are worth going to this summer? I don't know much about music but I bought a Family Plus membership because there was one concert that we went to with my inlaws and I would like to go to some this summer too... I can get a couple extra people in for free if anyone else wants to go...

Man, I feel like such a crappy mom today. I was ticked at my hubby cuz he went upstairs and left me to clean the kitchen and Malia woke up crying (she was sleeping downstairs) when I was not quite finished and I let her cry until I was finished and then she looked at me with her sad teary eyes and I felt bad for taking my frustration out on the poor baby...

#2,691 ·
SOOOO glad work was good, Ericka!!
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffybutt View Post
I want to start a blog, whats the best site to use wise mamas?
I just started another blog tonight for this Flat Traveler project that we're doing. I used blogger again, and I just love how easy it is. I've had my personal blog on there for a couple years now, and they just keep getting better and better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oregonbound View Post
Man, I feel like such a crappy mom today. I was ticked at my hubby cuz he went upstairs and left me to clean the kitchen and Malia woke up crying (she was sleeping downstairs) when I was not quite finished and I let her cry until I was finished and then she looked at me with her sad teary eyes and I felt bad for taking my frustration out on the poor baby...
, Minta...we've all been there.
It's so tough...but luckily the babes are pretty resilient.

#2,692 ·
For blogging - it depends on what you really want...

Blogger is super easy, lots of options to customize, and pretty cool stuff - but with some proprietary quirks.

LiveJournal is more of a networking site/journaling site - you have friend's lists and such, which is nice to keep up with others.

WordPress is a strong blogging tool - but I don't particularly like their interface- I don't find it user friendly.

TypePad is a pay service (and what I currently use). I adore this one!

SixApart owns MovableType (blogging software - also a really good option), TypePad and LiveJournal and are making them all more similar to on another, so if you like one interface over another you can kind of decide which free service to use.

I love blogs and blogging - i have, at present, 4 or so blogs that I maintain.
I also build blogs for the Colorado Shakespeare Festival for their Web Callboard.

Another option is the MomSpace blogs here at MDC. If you are a paid member of MDC you can blog here.

#2,693 ·
Quote:

Cool, I should take my kids to more music events, they like to dance
Anyone see the Wednesday Zoo concert schedule? Are there any that are worth going to this summer? I don't know much about music but I bought a Family Plus membership because there was one concert that we went to with my inlaws and I would like to go to some this summer too... I can get a couple extra people in for free if anyone else wants to go...
The only concert we are really interested in seeing is the first one, tomorrow night...it's the Wailers!!!! Here is the schedule for the Wednesday concerts.

#2,694 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadaisy View Post
The only concert we are really interested in seeing is the first one, tomorrow night...it's the Wailers!!!! Here is the schedule for the Wednesday concerts.
We are so trying to make it to that! Can anyone tell me what the concerts are like. We have a plus membership but have never been. Is it super crazy, what time do we need to get there? Do they run out of space on the grassy area?

#2,695 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Wow. This KEEPS happening. I've never had to log in EVERY time someone replies to this thing. I wonder if my Father in law did something to our computer. He's always erasing all of our cookies whenever he comes over. It's EXTREMELY annoying, and I don't even want to know the reason why, although I have a clue.
:

Although, you would think that it would leave a cookie at least once.
Did you check your privacy settings to make sure he didn't tell it to never keep a cookie?

And Dani76, I am sorry to hear about your brother. I am glad to hear things are looking up a bit and wish him a speedy recovery.

Thanks for all the wishes about my cousin. Honestly I wasn't all the close to him as he was about 10+ years older than me and we grew up about 90 miles apart, but it does still touch you when something like that happens to someone in your family no matter how close you are. I tell the story to make people think about helmets.

#2,696 ·
yes, it can get super crazy, esp. with parking. but they do have a shuttle from the overflow parking up by the sylvan exit that runs every 10 minutes or so all evening (maybe less often during the actual concert -- not sure). for a 7pm start time, i think between 6 and 630 is a safe bet, unless you want the absolutely perfect spot, in which case they open the lawn for seating at 5 (i think...) you can bring your own dinner, which is good because the zoo food is... you know, less than desirable, sometimes. i really want to go tomorrow, too. let's pm cells so we can maybe connect. it would be fun to sit together.

i had a bad evening and my morning is not looking so hot, what with a screamy cry-ie baby and a whiny 3 year old playing off it. but i'm going to try to make it to forest grove library for a clown show at 1015.

~claudia

#2,697 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
We are so trying to make it to that! Can anyone tell me what the concerts are like. We have a plus membership but have never been. Is it super crazy, what time do we need to get there? Do they run out of space on the grassy area?

You guys are going to miss the Vita night!
: I can sing "I am not your broom" if that helps tip the scales
:

#2,698 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamadaisy View Post
my friend who just had her baby a week ago is planning on going to this tomorrow! she looooooooooooooves reggae. i might try to go & bring the kids while dh is at work. can anyone get us in w/ their membership, if we come??
:

#2,699 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboClaudia View Post
yes, it can get super crazy, esp. with parking. but they do have a shuttle from the overflow parking up by the sylvan exit that runs every 10 minutes or so all evening (maybe less often during the actual concert -- not sure). for a 7pm start time, i think between 6 and 630 is a safe bet, unless you want the absolutely perfect spot, in which case they open the lawn for seating at 5 (i think...) you can bring your own dinner, which is good because the zoo food is... you know, less than desirable, sometimes. i really want to go tomorrow, too. let's pm cells so we can maybe connect. it would be fun to sit together.

i had a bad evening and my morning is not looking so hot, what with a screamy cry-ie baby and a whiny 3 year old playing off it. but i'm going to try to make it to forest grove library for a clown show at 1015.

~claudia
claudia. hope your day gets better!! this is dh's only day off for a week...we're going to look at macs!!

crazy doesn't sound like my scene... maybe i'll be meetin you at the vita,sara. not sure if ds & i can eat anything there, tho. no wheat, dairy, soy, and most nuts... what do you think??

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
You guys are going to miss the Vita night!
: I can sing "I am not your broom" if that helps tip the scales
:
i wanna hear it!!

#2,703 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breana View Post
claudia. hope your day gets better!! this is dh's only day off for a week...we're going to look at macs!!

crazy doesn't sound like my scene... maybe i'll be meetin you at the vita,sara. not sure if ds & i can eat anything there, tho. no wheat, dairy, soy, and most nuts... what do you think??

i wanna hear it!!
Oh nuts, I don't know if there's anything you'd be able to eat. I'm pretty sure they only use soybean oil, and if they cook like me then everything they have will surely have oil somewhere in it
Can I sneak something in for you guys? Can I get some gluten free bread and make you some veggie sandwiches??

#2,705 ·
So I work 17.5hrs a week. What's a reasonable rate I should make a month?
It's M-F though, just weird schedule.
MWTH- 8:45a-1p 2:45p-6p (I don't know what I am supposed to do between 1and 2:45?)
T 12:45p-6p
F 8:45a-2p

#2,706 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboClaudia View Post

~claudia

We went to one show last summer and it was insane! I think we got to the zoo at 5-ish so we were able to get parking in the zoo lot. The whole front part of the grass lawn was packed already by the time we got down there. The only place to sit was behind the path that leads to the elephants. The kids were bummed because they wanted to be close to see the stage, and then it was really hot waiting for the show to start. I think if we go again we will bring the full picnic dinner because just to get up and get food once we sat down was a pain because there were so many people around. Once the show finally did start it was pretty cool and the kids had fun. I don't know whether all of the shows are that crowded. My kids all have colds and I am coming down with one as well so I don't know if we will go, although it sounds like fun! Ordinarily, we could get extra people in on our pass (because the shows are a little pricey) but my inlaws are here and we'll have to get them in as our guests.

#2,707 ·
Quick question... does anyone have a lifejacket that would fit an infant (about 19 lbs) that I can borrow?
: we are going camping this weekend and are going near a lake. Thanks mamas

#2,710 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
Here it is:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=687173
: thanks, da-lin'

Quote:

We went to one show last summer and it was insane!
i felt that way about the pink martini show there. the one spot in the house was behind a bush near the elephants. it thought it was ridiculously oversold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Quick question... does anyone have a lifejacket that would fit an infant (about 19 lbs) that I can borrow?
: we are going camping this weekend and are going near a lake. Thanks mamas

sorry ours are all at the boat. if you have to buy one Joe's has a good selection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
The company I work for just lost a huge chunk of business. Huge. As in, maybe 25% of what they'd expect to do in a year. Put in a good word with me to whatever higher power to whom you subscribe, or the universe...

If I lose my job I don't know what I'll do.
i hope this doesn't threaten your job. but if it does i hope you find something ever better! you never know what doors open, even when a window is slamming shut on your fingers.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.