Looking to move to Mpls -- need info for low income fam. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! My name is Josie. I'm looking to move to mpls with dh and our 10mo old ds. We're a young family (both in our early 20's) I've heard so many great things about the area, and feel confident that we can find the kind of community we're looking for there (we're moving from Myrtle Beach, SC, which is where we were both raised and neither of us can relate to this place AT ALL!) ... anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any information on help for low-income families there. we're on foodstamps and medicaide here, but medicaide doesn't cover anything but hospital births and mainstream health care. WIC doesn't cover anything organic, and we can get family assistance because I'm not a single mom.

i'm going to be (goddess willing) giving birth this winter and want to have another home birth. we had ds at home, UC, but took him to the hospital afterwards because his face was blue (turns out it was just bruised b/c his head's so big ... bless his heart, he takes after his daddy ... ) anywayyyyy ... i want to have another homebirth, but i'd like to have someone there just in case ... i guess my question is simply : does the state cover homebirths? and does anyone have any good reqs for hands-off midwives in the area?

also, what other kind of help does the state offer there? we're really nervous about moving so far away from our family, but, like i said, Myrtle Beach is not where we want to raise our kids (and quite frankly, it's driving me crazy to be here!)

tia!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Hello!
I can answer one of your questions about the midwife. We moved to Minneapolis in March when i was 7 months preggo and there was only one mid-wife who was willing to attend our homebirth for the amount of money we had set aside for it ($1800, and no state doesn't cover it) She was great and I consider her a friend now. If you're interested in her name/number let me know.

Hope you get some answers to your questions. keep us posted on your move!

jessi
#3 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 01:29 AM

When I was trying to find info for my birth last year, I emailed the state and got this resonse from the lady, "Minnesota Medical Assistance will cover a home birth provided by a Certified Nurse Midwife as long as the midwife is enrolled as an active provider with Minnesota Health Care Programs."

So technically they would cover it, but good luck finding a homebirth Midwife willing to do it...from what I was told by a homebirth midwife I was seeing, is that the state will only give $700 towards the whole prenatal/birth and so it is such a loss for the midwives....

Good luck with everything. Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
#4 of 8 Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Medicaid in MN has a couple of programs - if your are pregnant you will probably qualify for Medical Assistance (MA). Low-income people who are not pregnant usually qualify for MinnesotaCare, which does not cover quite as much ($10,000/year hospital cap).

They are required to give pregnant women an answer within two weeks of their application. Other applications take *much* longer unless there is a medical emergency.

Pregnant women do not have copays.

When you are MA/MinnesotaCare, they will usually assign you to a pre-paid health plan. This is where the state pays various HMOs/health insurers around here a set amount and they take you on. It is nice in the fact that it is a lot easier to find a doctor who will take HealthPartners, Medica, or UCare around here than straight Medical Assistance. Even with the health plans, it is difficult to find a dental provider due to the low reimbursement rates. The bad part is that most of these plans either specifically exclude homebirth now or will by July.

Some midwives have medical billers who will try to submit claims online and slip them under the radar. My midwife has had luck this way. But the health plans seem to be cracking down a little bit. We went into it assuming that we are paying for everything out-of-pocket and will be happy if we get reimbursed for some of it. I know of no one on MA that was ever reimbursed for the full amount.

WIC does not cover organics here, either. They also take your partner's income into consideration if you live together.

The medical assistance application is vague on who's income counts. It asks for all "household (family) members." As DF and I are not legally linked (and his health insurance will not cover me), I am assuming he is not counted as part of my family by the state. But who knows? I am in the process of trying to keep my coverage now that I have had the baby. He will automatically be covered for a year. You are automatically covered for the two months following the birth, after that you need to talk to a social worker/make an new application.

love.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Here is a website where you can plug in your information and see what Minnesota assistance programs you might qualify for: http://www.coveringallfamilies.org/

It's very comprehensive - even includes energy assistance, which you will need during the winter.
#6 of 8 Old 06-15-2007, 08:13 PM

There's two wonderful hospital providing midwives groups in the Twin Cities area. One is at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) and the other is through Park Nicollet/Methodist Hospital. Both accept Medicaid/MN Care insurance and they are CNM's and are VERY open to handsoff policies. I used the midwives group through Park Nicollet and was 100% satisfied with my birth!
Welcome to Minnesota

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#7 of 8 Old 06-16-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

they're CNM, but will do homebirths? all the CNMs working w/hospitals here won't touch a homebirth with a 10ft pole!
#8 of 8 Old 06-17-2007, 02:56 PM

check this out:
http://www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com...eresource.html
I think you have to pay out of pocket for home births - I don't think med asst covers it. When I was preggs and on med asst with my first one, I inquired about a home birth and they said they do not do home births as there is too much liability so I would have had to pay out of pocket. I ended up going through HCMC midwives and it was such a great experience. They have such a good program there, at least I thought so. Let me just say - they did everything in their power to stick to my birth plan!!! oh - and they do water birth there. Good luck.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page