Raising a bilingual child in Atlanta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, My dh is Puerto Rican and we'd love for our child to grow up bilingual. However, from the reading I've done I know it isn't easy to do, and I'm also not sure if my dh will be willing to speak Spanish to the baby the majority or all of the time. (I speak a little Spanish, but I'm nowhere near fluent.) Do you have any suggestions for ways to expose our child to more Spanish speakers? Dh's family is far away, also. I wonder if there are any bilingual play groups around. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM

We are attempting the same thing, but with Polish. My husband is Polish and speaks mostly Polish to our children. We have friends with kids who also speak Polish to him, lots of books/dvds/music, etc. It all helps. We found (thru the local Polish Chamber/Club) a Polish school for when the kids are older, as well as a weekly playgroup.

Check out the spanish resources, I'm sure you'll be able to find something! Although quite frankly, there are TONS of latino folks in the area - my sitter is Peruvian and has met simply tons of spanish speaking friends just by hanging out at the park. Some from Peru as well, or other places, but all Spanish speaking.

Here are some links on raising a bilingual child:
http://www.multilingualchildren.org/
http://www.cal.org/resources/Digest/...lingChild.html
http://www.sll.ocps.net/resources/index.htm
http://www.bilingualfamilynewsletter.com/
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Atlanta is a great place for learning two languages (especially Spanish)!

You do not have to speak it all the time around your child. Expose them to hearing it at least once a day. There is tv in Spanish and radio in Spanish in our area. Take them to the specialty stores so they can hear the language around them. Talk to them in Spanish. You do not have to be perfect. Just let them hear the words.

There are also videos for kids in Spanish and kids' music in Spanish. The exposure alone is a good thing to build a foundation for them.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 AM

Are there any families that want to do a Spanish playgroup?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:56 PM

There's a new charter school in Hall County, Chestnut Mtn. that is bilingual spanish/english.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:08 AM

My DD is only four months, but we really want her to speak Spanish, and I'd love to be in a Spanish playgroup. Neither DH nor I are native Spanish speakers, although I used to be close to fluent back when I was in school...we just think it's an important language for her to know. We live in Grant Park...

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
Old 06-21-2008, 01:31 AM

Readergirl,

Here's another website for you to check out. Lots of great information.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM

My husband is Cuban and we want to raise our daughter bilingual as well. I understand some Spanish but don't speak it. He speaks it but it will be hard for him to speak to her in Spanish all the time. I would definitely be interested in a play group. My daughter is only 2 weeks old, so I think it might be a little early for her but I would still love to start something. I live in Duluth.

User Tag List