Breechy baby mamas - heads up! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you´re out there....

Thought it might be good to have a breechy baby tribe, for those that have had breech babies and those who´ve found out their babies are bum-down.

For me DD´s breechiness is very much part of our story and her identity. When she was finally given to me and she curled up on my stomach, her head on my heart, it finally all made sense.

Breech babies are a challenge, they are not part of "the plan". They can cause great upset during those last few weeks and can also lead to the necessary surrender and strength, what will be will be - a lesson we all have to learn from our babies at some point.

I think it would be of great use for expectant mama´s to hear how different breech baby stories are and that breech does not mean "wrong", and that it doesn´t have to be "bad". I have posted my story elsewhere (HB turned CS, not necessarily because she was breech, I must add), so I won´t go into it, but I have read other posts of HBB, CSB and everyother variation.

I propose just one rule....that breech is "breech" or "head up" or "bum down", it is not "the wrong way up".

Love to hear from other breechy mama´s, Blessed be Sadystar x.
#2 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM

editing once more, after my wound licking... i rewrote my birthing/etc story... i think it encompases a lot of how i feel... more about the whole process than just the breech. maybe it will connect with someone, maybe not... anyhow.
#3 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

A story of triumph over adversity!

I agree this should not be a natural vs CS thread, I think that all voices deserve to be heard without judgement, the most important thing is that a mama knows that she has power when it comes to delivering a breechy baby into the world.
#4 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Hey, good idea for a tribe!

I have one of the happy breech stories (http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=589894), but it's a bit scary (and also educational) to see how it went for so many other people, and to know how easily I too could have ended up with a c-section. Thank goodness for the Farm, and for a supportive DH who didn't push me into the hospital!

It is a learning experience to have a breech, scary and stressful at the end of pregnancy, even when things go well. I feel much stronger now than I did before. I know I can handle hard situations. If I had the chance now to go back and turn my ds, I wouldn't do it.

I'm interested if lots of other people had breeches run in their families, like I did. My son was the seventh breech in three generations (out of seventeen people), so I'm wondering if there's something hereditary going on. Maybe we have lots of big floaty heads in my family? I also thought it was funny that I didn't know about any of the breeches (except my husband, the only c-section, and the doctor sliced his bottom and he still has the scar) until my baby was breech.

Anyway, I'm excited to hang out with out breech mamas.

hapersmion
#5 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 04:11 PM

Great idea for a tribe! After all the medical panic around my breech dd last year (which resulted in what I consider to be a c/s-for-unqualified-OB) I co-founded the Coalition for Breech Birth based in Ottawa. We're working for the re-normalization of vaginal breech birth.

It's been over a year for me - dd is 13 1/2 months old now - and it's been a long haul. I'm very very bitter about what happened and still trying to process my own role in the whole thing. I did *permit* the c/s to happen, although at the time I didn't believe I had any safe alternatives, which I now know to be untrue. Somehow it doesn't make me feel better to know that what I have now is "new" information... it just makes me feel culpable for not having done enough research or asked enough questions, as opposed to making me feel at peace with having signed that bit of paper and then not revoked consent before the scapel hit my skin. Granted... I was panting off pushes, I was kinda busy at the time. But why the hell did I do that? anyway.

It's funny what people say to you. Like, "imagine what could have happened!" Yeah. Because in such safe major surgery I couldn't have died, or become permanently incontinent. Imagine. Or, "you've got to get over it - focus on your healthy baby." Yeah. Because her getting born naturally would have made her unhealthy. Or - and this was the kicker - "I hope that you can get over this so you won't be holding it against your daughter for the rest of her life." Pardon? At what point was there a problem with my DAUGHTER? Why on earth would I hold something against HER? The TWO of us got hit by a freakin' train. It's not her fault that I was holding her in my belly when it happened.

Anyway I don't mean to make this all negative and bitter! I have great joy in my life and my dd is one of the primary sources. I have great anger still and it has made me an activist.

Please everybody come see the CBB website (in my sig) and send birth stories for the cache, sign the petition, and write letters to hospitals and organizations. Breech babies are completely normal and it's absurd how we are treated by the medical establishment for carrying one!!!

xo Robin
#6 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Robin,

I´ve seen your posts before and admire the work you´re doing wit CBB, it could have been easier for you to just go quietly and deal with your own stuff, but you´ve decided to raise awareness which will benefit others more than you. Though I suspect that you too will find this healing in time

My birth story is here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=656215&page=2

I feel like it is the story of two very different births. So near yet so far from the birth I´d hoped for.

If anyone who is still carrying a bum down baby reads it, please remember that your story will not and cannot be the same and if you need to take anything from it, please take away the knowledge that it did not do any harm for me to try to HB my DD - despite what you might get told otherwise.
#7 of 48 Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM

breech mama here as well! i'll post more later!
#8 of 48 Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Oh, I belong to this tribe! Two out of 3 of my babies have been breech during pregnancy! Following are their brief birth stories.... but you are forwarned that both are born by cesarean birth. (Not necessarily bad.) But my ECV experience isn't positive.

The first breech baby (second child) we didn't try ECV (for several reasons).... only home remedies. He refused to turn. We gave him every opportunity to turn, but I didn't go into labor. We started suspecting post-dates and we knew he was pretty big. (9 lb 14 oz.... and I'm only 4' 11") So he was born via cesarean birth. He was very much post-dates. I don't regret how he was born. Every pregnancy and baby is different. Even though I had prepared for a natural VBAC with him, I think I made the right educated decision.

My second breech baby (third child) we again prepared for a natural VBAC. Then, once again, it was confirmed she was breech. However, she was A LOT smaller (7 lb 4 oz) and while the home remedies didn't work again.... this time we tried ECV at 38 weeks. It was successful!!!! I went into labor a few days after the "due date". I labored naturally at home for 54 hours before going to the hospital. I arrived at the hospital 6-7 cm with a bulging bag of waters. I continued to labor naturally with my DH and doula by my side. Six hours later, I only had a slight lip on one side. However, my DD still had not dropped. My doula and nurse thankfully talked me into another cesarean birth. My DD was born via cesarean birth....with the cord wrapped several times around her chest and hand. (Maybe around the neck, too.) Anyway, it was the cord that kept her from dropping. I don't regret doing the ECV even though she most likely got tangled during it. I don't regret laboring for 60 hours naturally, I know how strong I am now.
#9 of 48 Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I´m still trying to get my notes out of the hospital - perhaps they will shed more light on what happened....then again maybe I´ll never get an answer and I´ll just have to learn to cope with not knowing.
#10 of 48 Old 06-13-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
I´m still trying to get my notes out of the hospital - perhaps they will shed more light on what happened....then again maybe I´ll never get an answer and I´ll just have to learn to cope with not knowing.
hon I can only imagine how frustrating it must be, and how at a loss you must feel. I know for sure my c/s was uncalled-for; I KNOW there was nothing wrong with my body or my baby, there was only something wrong with the "system". But yet I have so many what-ifs and what-could-I-have-done and I know how much of this must be in your heart, and not even knowing what to wonder ABOUT would be devastating.

Please have faith. You might or might not be able to find out what happened; but remember that every baby, every birth, is different from the one before and the one to follow - I am living proof of THAT. I believed, with my whole heart, that this was the baby I was going to catch in my 2nd beautiful homebirth. To this day I am devastated by how far from my needs dd's birth swerved. And knowing that I did everything I felt I could at the time, with the information I had at the time... it's cold, cold comfort.

Please don't lose faith in your body or your ability to birth a baby. *Sometimes* birth needs help. And that's OK. It doesn't mean YOU needed help. It's just that THIS BIRTH, did. The next one, probably won't.

peace, mama.

xo Robin
#11 of 48 Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Hey, check this out -

Quote:
To: Coalition for Breech Birth

Dear Madam or Sir,

I produce and host a weekly parenting programme on
local radio, here in Windsor Ontario. Recently I came
across the web site for your organization. I'd like
very much to speak to a representative on the air
about breech birth issues and your efforts to change
obstetric practices in Ontario.

The show airs Monday mornings from 8 - 9:00, but the
interview could be pre-recorded. I would prefer to
speak to a local member, but someone from elsewhere in
Ontario would be fine, too. Could you let me know if
there is a member of your coalition who would be
willing to speak with me? The discussion would be low
key and non-adversarial, with no call-ins.

If an interview is not possible, I would like to
receive a media package so I can discuss the subject
on a future show.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
#12 of 48 Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Robinna, that radio spot sounds like a great way to educate people!

CMcC, that's so disappointing that the ECV worked but the baby got tangled! I remember how disappointed I was when my ECV failed, but in hindsight it was probably the best thing that could have happened. I don't think I knew about a risk of cord entanglement, though - I wonder how often that happens? I think I've heard a similar story before...

hapersmion
#13 of 48 Old 06-14-2007, 03:33 PM

According to Henci, anyway, most studies come back showing ECV to be safe. Mind you I guess they'd have a hard time pinning down when/if cord entanglement was a result of the ECV or a pre-existing condition (cord entanglement can be a reason babies don't turn vertex, for example), since it's very difficult to identify a wrapped cord on a u/s because you can't ever see the back of the baby.

I'll have to go check that chapter again and see if she specifically addresses this, but it's not something that my MW who did my ECV attempts was even vaguely concerned about as anything except a reason for the baby not turning.

OK now I'm thinking waaaay too hard but bear with me. Since the baby only turns 180 degrees in an ECV I think it could probably make an already wrapped cord worse (ie pull it taut, or possibly add half a loop), but could it create wrapping where there was none? Partly would depend on placental placement I guess, and the baby's relationship to where the placenta is. But if you take a stick and tie a string to it, pin the other end of the string down, then just turn the stick end to end, it doesn't wrap around the stick, kwim? And an umbilical cord is more like a full garden hose than like a string.

Anyway I'm neither here nor there on ECV - I believe it's far less risky than a c/s but I don't think I'd bother if I had a practitioner who could catch a breech. With no such practitioner - I'd do it again in a heartbeat before I let them cut me again. And CMcC I believe strongly in mamas' instincts - I'm sure you're right that the ECV was a factor in your baby's complicated cord!!!
#14 of 48 Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Anyone here transverse breech? DS was WAY high inside me and sideways all the way. It was SO uncomfortable!!!

We (DH, midwife, doula team) tried all the spinning tricks for weeks (chiro, accupuncture, visualization, on my head, etc etc etc) and the kid stayed put and was ASCENDING, rather than descending at past my due date.

It was a good early lesson to realize he was an individual with his OWN way of doing things and I can't force him to do otherwise... he's still marches to the beat of his own drummer

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#15 of 48 Old 06-16-2007, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hello all!

So where are your breechy babies at now?

Sadie is 8 months, crawling, climbing and eating everything in sight, including the cats. We live in the mountains and she loves to get strapped to our backs and go walking. We go to mama and baby yoga when we can, but she spends most of the class crawling around finding toes to suck on!
#16 of 48 Old 06-16-2007, 11:45 AM

I agree with all you said, Sadystar-my breech baby (now 7) is a powerful little person who has taught me many lessons about surrender, powerlessness, etc. My story is that we discovered she was breech at the very last moment (long story-midwife error mostly,) and I ended up having a cesarean because she was in distress. Which led to a second cesarean with my second daughter. I had an air of acceptance with the first cesarean, more anger with the second, but came to accept my first daughter's "hand" in making events take place in our lives. She's a pretty remarkable little girl-quick story-it's my belief she quite likely "saved" her father's life on 9/11 by insisting he stay and play with her, which made him late that morning. Had he caught his regular train, he more than likely would have been in the WTC PATH station at the wrong time.
#17 of 48 Old 06-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadystar View Post
Hello all!

So where are your breechy babies at now?
Almost 17 months, imitating almost every word you say to him. Teething all four of his first molars at once. Running around and climbing and getting into his dada's tools every other minute.

hapersmion
#18 of 48 Old 06-16-2007, 12:08 PM

My DD was breech until the 8th month. I had decided that I was not going to give up my HB because of it. I realized that only 1 OB in NW Washington will do vaginal breech deliveries- in the hospital only and only if it is not the mom's first birth, she's not late, early, too fat, too thin, too young, too old or carrying multiples. I was outraged. My d turned, but I would've loved this thread during the pgcy. And yay for CBB! It's about time! I don't think vaginal birth should ever not be an available option if there is not medical problem. Breeches, multiples and post-term babies and moms should all get a chance at natural birth.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#19 of 48 Old 06-16-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~ View Post
My DD was breech until the 8th month. I had decided that I was not going to give up my HB because of it. I realized that only 1 OB in NW Washington will do vaginal breech deliveries- in the hospital only and only if it is not the mom's first birth, she's not late, early, too fat, too thin, too young, too old or carrying multiples. I was outraged. My d turned, but I would've loved this thread during the pgcy. And yay for CBB! It's about time! I don't think vaginal birth should ever not be an available option if there is not medical problem. Breeches, multiples and post-term babies and moms should all get a chance at natural birth.

Kristi
:

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#20 of 48 Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 PM

I've had two breech babies, one head-down so I know it is at least possible in my body. I suffered a lot with my son, first baby, persistent breech. The last few weeks of my pregnancy were filled with tears and anxiety as I faced the loss of the birth I had dreamed of, tried everything I could to get him to turn, but no dice...He is now three and a half, a spirited, bright, fun little (big) guy.
I did make some peace with cesarean before his birth, feeling that this would just be the first of many sacrifices that I was willing to make for my baby. It was terribly painful and sad, though. I found it helpful to wait for labor before having surgery, to claim some of the spontaneity and joy that I had wanted in a natural birth, and also to be sure he was ready.

Second baby was head-down. Third baby, now two months old, breech again. This time I was planning a HBA2C and had a different perspective on risk than I had as a first-time mom...and found that some of the data/recommendations had changed...so I did plan and have a vaginal breech birth at home. It went great except for some unnecessary drama, story is in my sig. She is a very mellow, laid-back, sleeping baby, unlike the first two .

So, I've seen both sides of the coin of breech-birth-planning, and truly agonized over both decisions. It's an incredibly tough call IME, and I have no judgment for either side. It was really helpful to me to read all the breech birth stories in the birth story forum here...and the book that I always mention now, Breech Birth by Benna Waites. It is fabulous and very comprehensive with the research.
#21 of 48 Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the support for CBB... it actually brings me to tears. I know you guys understand.

If any of you would be willing to have your breech birth stories, c/s or vaginal birth, home or hospital, happy or sad, published to the website, or if you have pictures to share, could you please PM me or email me at breechbirth@nospamgmail.com (take the nospam out, obviously )? I would really love to be able to show the wide range of experiences that mamas have with breech birth.

xo Robin
#22 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
Anyone here transverse breech? DS was WAY high inside me and sideways all the way. It was SO uncomfortable!!!

We (DH, midwife, doula team) tried all the spinning tricks for weeks (chiro, accupuncture, visualization, on my head, etc etc etc) and the kid stayed put and was ASCENDING, rather than descending at past my due date.

It was a good early lesson to realize he was an individual with his OWN way of doing things and I can't force him to do otherwise... he's still marches to the beat of his own drummer
Me me me....DD was transverse breech diagonal across my tummy with her head near my heart and her bum near my right pelvic bone. I too tried everything (3 different chiros, accupuncture, I bought an inversion table, visualized, prayed, therapized, etc.) I went into labor at 38 weeks, 3 days before my scheduled ECV.

When I was distressed and looking for advice on MDC I recall someone referencing emotional stress and mentioning that sometimes breech babies are working hard to comfort their moms. In a transverse breech position, the head is as close as possible to the heart. That resonated with me at the time and continues today.

My sweet girl is 13 mos. old and an absolute joy and treasure. I was nursing her this evening and she was lying flat on my stomach, latched onto my left breast and dozing in the exact same position in which she grew in my belly. It made me smile.
#23 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyParent View Post
Me me me....DD was transverse breech diagonal across my tummy with her head near my heart and her bum near my right pelvic bone. I too tried everything (3 different chiros, accupuncture, I bought an inversion table, visualized, prayed, therapized, etc.) I went into labor at 38 weeks, 3 days before my scheduled ECV.

When I was distressed and looking for advice on MDC I recall someone referencing emotional stress and mentioning that sometimes breech babies are working hard to comfort their moms. In a transverse breech position, the head is as close as possible to the heart. That resonated with me at the time and continues today.

My sweet girl is 13 mos. old and an absolute joy and treasure. I was nursing her this evening and she was lying flat on my stomach, latched onto my left breast and dozing in the exact same position in which she grew in my belly. It made me smile.
Funny the thing about stress... although I had a happy, healthy pregnancy we were "house hunting" for a new boat all the while and flying around trying to settle on one. We found a bigger boat and had it delivered to us just a few weeks before DS was due. In the process of moving boxes from the older/ smaller boat to the newer/bigger one in a rain storm, DH slipped on the dock, fell in the water and broke 2 ribs on the way in. He was laid up in the hospital and then at a friends house on MEGA loopy pain pills and I was left alone to move into the new boat, get the electricity running, over see the guys installing the air conditioning, etc all just 10 days before DS was due.

We joked that he was crawling up rather than turning down b/c he didn't think we were ready yet!

And yes, his head was by my heart!

He turns 3 tomorrow and one of the things he loves to do is crawl in my shirt and "be borned!"
Of course every time he plays this game he gets in there sideways and pops his head out my shirt collar and announces --- "I'm borned mama!"

Yup, he even plays breech without knowing it!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#24 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM

I know some have said the "Close to my heart" thing resonated with them, and I don't want to detract from that. But the opinions that somehow make it mom's fault that baby is breech have always bothered me...that it must be because you are too anxious, or you don't really want to give birth, or because you talk too much (have really heard this), etc.

It seems clear to me that everyone has anxieties leading up to birth and new parenting, whether babies are breech or not...and such anxieties would only multiply when faced with a breech birth (and, in this country at least, almost always a cesarean). But it's never felt fair to me to hear "you must be doing something...or thinking something wrong, to make your baby breech."

Two of my babies have just been comfy that way. One wasn't. I had anxieties all three times. I became quite comfortable with breech birth and did not feel at all desperate with baby #3...and she stayed breech. It was what it was. Is it my pelvis? Cord issues? Slightly odd-shaped uterus? Who knows. But I'm quite sure it wasn't bad thoughts or the evil eye, you know?
#25 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:05 PM

DD didn't turn until the end. She was breech all the way thru the pgcy.

When she was born she was so alert. She was lifting her head to look around withing hours of her birth. Even now at 7 weeks old she hates to lay down- she wants to see everything. She can actually hold her own weight standing in my lap as long as I help balance her! When I hold her she wants to be on my shoulder so she can look around. DH and I think h might be able to sit upright on her own before the end of her third month.

Knowing her now, I can't imagine her being happy upside down in my womb. I'm surprised she turned at all! She is so curious and so interested in being up and facing the world.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#26 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
I know some have said the "Close to my heart" thing resonated with them, and I don't want to detract from that. But the opinions that somehow make it mom's fault that baby is breech have always bothered me...that it must be because you are too anxious, or you don't really want to give birth, or because you talk too much (have really heard this), etc.

It seems clear to me that everyone has anxieties leading up to birth and new parenting, whether babies are breech or not...and such anxieties would only multiply when faced with a breech birth (and, in this country at least, almost always a cesarean). But it's never felt fair to me to hear "you must be doing something...or thinking something wrong, to make your baby breech."

Two of my babies have just been comfy that way. One wasn't. I had anxieties all three times. I became quite comfortable with breech birth and did not feel at all desperate with baby #3...and she stayed breech. It was what it was. Is it my pelvis? Cord issues? Slightly odd-shaped uterus? Who knows. But I'm quite sure it wasn't bad thoughts or the evil eye, you know?
I was blamed for my baby being breech and my post term pgcy. It's ridiculous. Babies are people and if they want to sit head up, they will. And if they want to cuddle with their twin they will. And if they want to stay in a little longer they will. I almost wish we didn't have the luxury of knowing what was going on in there unless it was an emergency. My last months were completely robbed of their joy as I sat panicking about having a post-term, huge breech baby. Blah. My birth was fine and Ziva did exactly what she wanted to do and came exactly when she wanted to come. Next time I'll be more at ease whatever the circumstance.

One thing I learned/decided is that when a friend tells me she's pregnant in the future I will not tell her what to do, how to feel or what to be comcerned with. I will support and encourage her to do what she believes to be best and leave her be.

Kristi

#27 of 48 Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 PM

My home born breechling will be 3 in August. My pregnancy and birth with her was amazing.

Saturday August 28 2004, I had been having strong braxton hicks but fairly inconsistent all day (and the whole week before!). At 5:00 pm I called our midwife Melody to let her know how my day had been going. She advised me to insert some evening primrose oil vaginally and lay down for 90 minutes. Melody also told me that she was coming (4.5 hour drive). I was so uncertain about that. I told her that I was worried that she would come down and be here for days before the baby came. She reassured me that if that happened (and it did) that it was fine and that she felt she needed to leave then. During the time I was lying down I had 3 contractions 30 minutes apart they were really strong and I knew they were the start of true labor. When I got up Duztin had fed the kids so we decided to go for a long walk, it ended up being 3 miles! It felt so good to be out, the evening was mild and the kids were so cute. We went on my favorite trail along a small river it was so peaceful the kids were thrilled with the cows, rabbits, bats and lizards. When we got home my sisters were there waiting for us and 30 minutes later Melody and her assistant Jan arrived. It was exciting getting everyone settled in, showing the "birth room", watching Melody set things up. All this time though my contractions were 30-60 minutes apart, although they were very strong and required my total concentration and support from Duztin. I was up and down all night trying to get contractions closer together alternated with resting. I had my first exam at 8:30 Sunday morning and I was 3cm and 50% effaced. Melody gave me homeopathic Caulophyllum 200c and Gelsemium 200c. I was still contracting 30-60 minutes apart. I had another check at 3:30pm and I was 4.5 cm. Even though my contractions were spaced so far apart they were working. A total of 7 contractions dilated me from 3 to 4.5cm. My water broke a little after 4:00pm. The fluid was clear with flecks of vernix in it. 11:00pm Sunday Melody checks and I am 7 cm. I feel a mental boost that I am progressing even though my contractions are still so far apart. I got in a really hot shower around 2am Monday. It was wonderful. While in the shower I had such a strong sense of despair/frustration I closed my eyes and leaned back on Duztin and let the water flow over my belly. As I did this a clear picture of my baby smiling came to my mind with the impression that she was coming just be patient a little more. Duztin and I went for a walk at 5am Monday around the neighborhood. It was so nice to be out with him. I was able to have a good cry/release of emotions over labor taking so long. We live 3 blocks from the women's hospital and while we were out walking we saw 3 couples going in the maternity entrance. It felt so nice to know that I was going home to have my baby! After our walk I quit dwelling on me and got caught up on laundry and some housework. My younger sister had to go home and get her children so her husband could go to work. So we had my four children, my older sisters two, my younger sisters three and our midwifes 3mo baby. To top it all off my friend that was going to come be support for my children was out of town. I never felt worried about the kids, I didn't even notice them. I had bought a movie and they all watched that or played in our yard during labor. My 8yo and my older sisters 10yo really helped out a lot, organizing games, baking a "birth" day cake etc. My sisters would go upstairs every 5-10 minutes to check on all the kiddos. Finally at 1:30pm Monday I had an hours worth of contractions that were 10 minutes apart and then back to nothing!! They started at 4:00 again very strong. My back was really starting to hurt. Back labor with a breech baby is worse than the back labor I had with my 3 posterior babies. In hindsight I am grateful that the contractions were spaced so far apart as it gave me time to physically recover between them. I started feeling a lot of pressure so Melody checked and the baby's bum was through the cervix. I was only 8 cm so she had me get in a knee chest position to finish dilating. After 20 minutes of that I was finally a very stretchy 10+. Once I stood up my contractions started coming 5 minutes apart and even stronger. Every contraction started with me saying "my back" and someone would put a hot pack on and push as hard as they could. Finally at 5:50pm Monday I started feeling pushy! I sat on the birth stool with Duztin behind holding the hot pack on my back. I could feel the baby moving down and was able to feel her soft little bottom. It was so encouraging. She finally descended enough that I couldn't withstand the urge to push. I pushed her out to her umbilicus in one push. During that push the pressure was intense from her legs and feet pushing against me. When her feet came out it released some of the pressure. I could then feel her arms moving and trying to come so I pushed again and I could feel each arm as they came out. The pressure was so intense from her head, I gave one last strong push and out she came. Birth happened so quickly. From "rumping" to delivery of the head was 52 seconds. The pressure release when her head was born was very intense. It took me a few seconds to catch my breath. On the video Naomi and I are both breathing the same way, short quick breaths. She was immediately handed up to me and wrapped in the blanket I had made for her. She was so pink. Her apgars were 10/10. She was so amazing. She just looked into my eyes and had such a pleased expression on her face. Five minutes after she was born the placenta came. Duztin clamped and cut the cord and we moved onto the bed. Within 15 minutes she was nursing. I was curious about the placenta as I wanted to know if Melody could see where the placental separation that had happened at 20 weeks had occured. On examination of the placenta there were two spots one the size of my thumbnail near the cord that was scarred and hard and one cotyledon was completely scarred on the edge of the placenta. Other than those two places the placenta was perfect.

Naomi Pa'chavi
6lb. 3oz. 20.5 in.
Frank Breech at home
30 August 2004
6:17 pm

Sarah
#28 of 48 Old 06-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Chumani, "rumping" is a great term! I never quite knew what to call "crowning" for my baby, now I do.

And I agree with ccohenou and Mama2B, I think there are often times physical reasons for breech, whether we know them or not. I don't think breech would run in my family the way it does without a physical, inheritable reason. Maybe it's just big heads, maybe there is something about the way our uteri are shaped, who knows? But I do know I really wasn't nervous or anxious or anything like that in my pregnancy - until I found out ds was breech!

However, that doesn't mean that emotional things can't be a cause sometimes. We know that stress can slow or stop labor - it makes sense to me that a really stressful environment might interfere with the baby's preparations to be born as well. So I think that is a valid theory for why a baby is breech - it just isn't the only possible reason.

Did someone really suggest that yours was breech because you talked too much, ccohenou? : Pretty crazy - but I know that wasn't the cause of my breech, I hardly talk at all.

hapersmion
#29 of 48 Old 06-20-2007, 05:40 PM

If anybody checks in today... I have a radio interview tomorrow at 10am for the CBB. If anybody has any input on what they feel mamas (mainstream mamas) should hear about breech birth, or a way of phrasing it for big impact that might get through the "I totally trust my OB" cone of silence, I'd love any and all input!
xo Robin
#30 of 48 Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quickie to say that when I mentioned the head on my heart I wasn´t referring to my comfort but hers. It makes far more sense if you think about it like that, and it is not placing blame on anyone or anything.

I met a male midwife when i was going through all the upset of wanting to know why and still hoping for her to turn, and he put it plainly...."the world can be a scarey place when you´ve been in the comfort of the womb, who wouldn´t want to back into it..."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page