Mothering Forum banner

Puerto Rico anyone?

969 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nineves 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there is anyone else from PR around?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant with #2 and I'm looking for any local info on homebirth, natural childbirth, midwives, or anything else related...

#2 ·
just wanted to say hi! I was just in PR last week! 11-15!! My family is from there. I think it might be tough but ask around. I know most of my aunts & uncles were not born in a hospital...but that was a bit ago. Where do you live??? If I hear of anything I'll let you know!! Congrats & good luck!

#4 ·
I'm from PR. Had my baby in Arizona though.
Anyway, midwives, lactation consultants, and the like are all available, you have to really search though. Try asking around, look in the phone books, call ob/gyn clinics and ask there too. Good luck!

#5 ·
Hi
I am in Puerto Rico and pregnant with dc #2. I am planning a HBAC and have a Midwife. If you still haven't found one and are still looking lmk I can put you in contact with them. There are only 3 midwives in PR that can attend homebirths. There are Nurse Midwives at the Hospital in Carolina but they are not as natural due to Hospital policy and government restrictions on their practice. Nurse Midwives in PR cannot attend homebirths. The Hospital in Carolina does not allow babies to room in with the mothers and forces induction at 40 weeks regardless of how healthy you and baby are. They have more disgusting policies but there are too many to mention here but those 2 were my main reasons for not choosing that route. You can always go UP/UC but if you do should be careful with who you tell there have been discriminatory and illegal lawsuits brought by Family services to parent's that choose that route. Though legally the suits had no standing and ended up thrown out of court the hassle and trauma of having baby taken away plus cost of legal battles are factors to be considered. I would not recommend asking an Ob/Gyn for referral to midwife since only 2 Ob's on this island accept homebirth patients aned support midwives so you will likely get no response, a lie or a refusal of prenatal care (not that Ob's give REAL prenatal care).

My midwife is great and very natural and though I did not want to, the law here for midwife's license requires she be assisted in prenatal care by an OB and fortunately I found one that will accept my HBAC (no other OB does that here and only 3 even attend VBAC all others will only attend repeat c/s talk about dark ages) so long as I sign a waiver and as long as I don't have to step into a hospital unnecesarily or deal with an OB at the birth unnecessarily you bet I will sign.

Hope all is going well with your pregnancy. Lmk if you need any info or support. This can be a difficult place to be different or choose a different route (moreso than others imo). Take care

Carla

#6 ·
Hello:
I know this is coming a little late in your pregnancy, but, if you are still interested in a midwife, you just might be able to get one. It is worth the effort.
My first delivery was in a hospital in Wisconsin, my second delivery was with the parteras (nurse-midwives) in the Hospital Universitario de Carolina, like Carla said in her post, it was a very bad experience due to the hospital policies. My third and fourth deliveries were handled by a wonderful midwife who is gentle, kind and willing to work with what you want. I am presently pregnant again and have already called her up.
In order to contact her, you can go to http://www.relacahupan.org , she is posted at the bottom of the page in contacts- Debbie Diaz. The following webpage has a short biography of her, http://www.midwiferytoday.com/intern...PuertoRico.asp
If Debbie is not available she might be able to refer you to another midwife that could have a free spot.
There is nothing like having a baby at home. It is absolutely beautiful and worth every effort.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.