NW Florida Panhandle midwives - Mothering Forums
Finding your Tribe Archives 2008 > NW Florida Panhandle midwives
kehliouise's Avatar kehliouise 07:41 PM 07-12-2007
I used a midwife in pensacola when my ds two years ago...i was very satisfied, but her prices have gone up a lot. Has anyone else used other midwives in the area. i have heard there is one in laurel hill/paxton? anyone have any information. all heard there is a birthcenter in tallahassee but that is a bit farther away.

turtlewomyn's Avatar turtlewomyn 10:06 AM 07-13-2007
The only one I know of is Vicki Taylor in Pensacola (and I assume that is who you are talking about as her prices have gone up), but there might be others.

I live in Tallahassee and there is the birth cottage here: http://www.thebirthcottage.com/

and there is also Jill Welch with Blessed Be Midwifery here in Tallahassee.

I am hoping to use Vicki for my next birth as I am planning to VBAC, the midwives in Tallahassee don't do primary VBACs, and I really would like to avoid the hospital unless it is medically necessary. I just met with her on Monday actually to do an interview. I noticed that her prices had gone up, but I am hoping our insurance will reimburse us for a lot. I guess I really can't be too surprised, I am sure her insurance rates for the birth center have skyrocketed since Ivan in 2004.
kehliouise's Avatar kehliouise 12:10 PM 07-13-2007
yes i was speaking of vicki. she was great with my first child. i hope that you have really great experience with her too. im not positive but i think that her price increases may also have something to do with some trouble the birth center was having last year financially because i got prices from her last october and they have gone up again since then. last year she had several people who were transfered to the hospital so she was not paid by their insurance company for her services. it was very unfortunate. the birth center lost a lot of money.
krboone's Avatar krboone 11:31 AM 07-14-2007
There is a midwife near Mobile that my sister apprentice's with. My sister lives in Pensacola. Her name is Renata Hillman

www.birthingoptions.com
momonthebeach's Avatar momonthebeach 02:37 PM 07-14-2007
I love mothering!! I just came on to ask this same question. I was looking for the lay midwife who I believe is in the Fort Walton Beach/Destin area. I spoke with her when I was pregnant with my last baby but didn't keep her name/number. Does anyone have her info? TIA!
Katie
kehliouise's Avatar kehliouise 02:43 PM 07-14-2007
fort walton/destin would be great. hope someone knows. i'm really hoping to get more information on maria milton in laurel hill. i'm hoping to find someone who has used her. i have called her but haven't gotten in touch with her yet.
othersomethings's Avatar othersomethings 04:29 PM 07-16-2007
Wow, this is exactly the question I was going to ask...

Is there seriously someone in the Ft. Walton/Destin area? because my husband is NOT thrilled about an hour drive to see a midwife. (although I'm fine with it.)

I haven't heard anything about someone in this area. How would we find this information? I know there are midwives out at the base hospital, would that be a possible lead?
momonthebeach's Avatar momonthebeach 11:29 AM 07-17-2007
I actually got her name/number from the birth center in Pensacola when I was pregnant with ds. I called there because the Birth Cottage said originally that they wouldn't come to my house (I live about 1.5 hours from Tallahassee) I am switching from them this time because they have so many other patients due around the same time that I am concerned they won't be able to come down. They told me last time I would have to come to the birth center if there were other moms in labor also. I set up a meeting with Jill Welch for Thurs. I hope it goes well!
Katie
mama2mad's Avatar mama2mad 02:35 AM 07-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthebeach View Post
I actually got her name/number from the birth center in Pensacola when I was pregnant with ds. I called there because the Birth Cottage said originally that they wouldn't come to my house (I live about 1.5 hours from Tallahassee) I am switching from them this time because they have so many other patients due around the same time that I am concerned they won't be able to come down. They told me last time I would have to come to the birth center if there were other moms in labor also. I set up a meeting with Jill Welch for Thurs. I hope it goes well!
Katie
im 2hrs from talla and they'd come out here (panama city) mayb it hasta do with the timing

im curious about the other m/w's around here, though im already using the birth cottage, it's good to have the info on others too!
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 10:57 PM 07-30-2007
There is no FL licensed LM or CPM living in Okaloosa, or (south)Walton counties.
Vicki Taylor used to attend home births in this area, but she had to stop doing that a couple years back ('05 I believe) because it got really difficult to be traveling 2 hours out here with the possibility (or likelihood) of mamas in P'cola going into labor. I'm hoping that MAYBE... I need to talk to her about this, but maybe now that she's getting a new partner midwife, she or her partner may be able to attending out here again. She never took VBACs out here at all, as far as I know, do to issues involving transferring to FWBMC with a VBAC and needing a supportive OB backup which she has in P'cola. And certainly not in Walton because there was no appropriate place to transfer within 30 minutes.

There are CNMs on Eglin AFB. I know a few who've used them as well as some who've VBACd there.

There is a midwife in the very north part of Walton County named Maria Milton at the Milton Memorial Birthing Center. I have met her and she is very nice. However, there has been some issues raised in the past regarding... well... stuff. I've researched it myself, which everyone here has the right (and should) do. I would be ok with seeing her, but my first choice is still to go to P'cola. 'Nuff said. She told me she attends a around 20 births per year. Her mother was Gladys Milton who delivered every baby in Walton County at some point in time and was considered quite a legend before her passing.

All in all... I've done the 2hr drive business from way out here in Walton to see Vicki and I would do it again. LM and CPM prices are going up all over Florida right now because malpractice insurance rates are going up and midwives here must carry it, unlike some other states. Then of course to compound that Vicki has had trouble keeping the BC open because of all those Medicaid transfers and of course the fact that she's only one person trying to support that whole operation. Hopefully now that she has help coming, things will ease up.

Tricare is now taking claims from patients seeing her. But it's a miserable amount. She's asked that everyone on Tricare wanting to see her call them and make sure they know how unhappy you are about how much they're paying. I've heard BCBS isn't much better though.
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 10:59 PM 07-30-2007
Momonthebeach...
I'm thinking that you may have spoken with the now defunct Birth Center that was operating in Pensacola a few years back... before Vicki opened Mama's Cradle. They may have given you Vicki's name and number because at the time she was attending HBs in Okaloosa/Walton counties.
free_range_momma's Avatar free_range_momma 05:24 PM 07-31-2007
momonthebeach,

I have heard of a lay midwife in the okaloosa area, but she is VERY concerned with being called a midwife. From my understanding she does it under the table so to speak, I suppose due to liability issues. I heard her mentioned in passing just the other day. I'll see if I can get her name/contact info for you.

I am giving birth in December, and I am hoping to use Vicki. I'm going to call and set up an appt (if she will take me at all, I heard she is very busy)

Does anyone know about the midwife Maria Milton? I was told to stay away from her (her mother had a great reputation) but I can't personally find anything about her.

I've played phone tag with Vicki (we live on a farm in laurel hill with NO cell phone reception) and we are very rarely indoors to hear the phone. I really don't want to go to FWBMC.
SheBear's Avatar SheBear 12:02 AM 08-03-2007
I just had a post written out, but my ds hit something and it disappeared!

I am in Crestview, and I saw Vicki with my dd (first homebirth). Then she opened the birth center and stopped attending births in Okaloosa...for ds2 and for this babe, I am seeing a lay midwife, whom I adore. She is currently living near Pensacola, but will soon be moving to near Andalusia, AL (about an hour north of where I am). As far as I know, she will still be happy to accept clients in our area. She has quite often come to me to do prenatals, and is always willing to try to make a more convenient arrangement for her clients (esp. if a couple of them live near each other and she can do two or more appts in the same area on the same day). I know she'd also be happy to make specific arrangements if driving to her is a big issue--she will ask for help with gas money, though.

I can HIGHLY recommend her (and Vicki unofficially and off-the-record recommended her to me) but due to the legal situation, I would prefer to share more information privately. So PM me if you'd like to hear more about her!

As far as Maria Milton, I know a couple people who have gone to her, and they both say she's very nice and seems competent. One of my friends was disappointed with how she handled a transfer situation. The other only went to her for prenatal care and had a UC birth (but I think that was her plan all along--nothing to do with Maria).

For myself, I've never met her in person, but I spoke with her on the phone and was not completely pleased with her manner. That, coupled with the fact that she will NOT attend homebirths, made me decide to go with my current midwife--even though Maria is much closer to me! I would not be unwilling to meet with Maria, but since I already have a great relationship with another midwife, I have no reason to. If I weren't able to use my midwife in the future, I would definitely consider Maria as an option to explore before going to NOMC.

HTH, and it's great to find some other Mamas so close to me!
Up