Does IN allow exemptions (for non-vaccinating families) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-18-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are thinking of moving to IN. Our 2 children are not vaccinated, which we have not had any serious problem (though I have been lectured, reprimanded, etc. by clueless pediatricians) with in the 2 states where they were born. Just wondering what the laws are in IN?

On another note, and while I am asking ... What is it like to homeschool in IN? Are there good resources available, any good groups, etc?
#2 of 7 Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Depending on what your criteria are, Indiana is a fantastic homeschooling state. There's no oversight and no proving to some anonymous someone that you are qualified to teach your own children. As far as the laws, there's a recommendation that you register your homeschool with the dept of education. There's also something about keeping attendance. Basically because of the way we school, I can pretty much say pick a day on the calendar and we were learning. There's no asking permission, no getting your curriculum approved, no submitting your children for standardized testing.

I feel that there is an abundance of homeschooling groups, though finding one that is a right fit for your family may take some work.

Where in Indiana might you be moving? That makes a HUGE difference in homeschooling groups and other factors.

I've never been given a hard time about my choice to not vax. Many mamas have been given as much of a hard time about it as you've indicated...but our family doctor does none of that.

Now as far as sending a child to school (or licensed daycare facility) I believe there is a religious exemption, but don't know much about any of it, since I've never had cause to try it out.

Maryhippie.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

We are not sure where in In we are headed. We are leaning toward south central or south eastern IN. Not too far outside Indianapolis though. Do you have any recommendations? We are planning a tour in the late summer or fall to take a look around (and visit friends in Illinois).
#4 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM

I think you'll like Indiana. I am going to start officially homeschooling my oldest next year and have been very happy with the laws I've read about so far.

I live in Bloomington and it is very NFL friendly.

Before, I lived in Evansville, very NOT NFL friendly, at all.

So it varies greatly where you are living.
#5 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Indiana allows a religious exemption (no philosophical), although it doesn't appear to be terribly strict. Here's a link with more info
http://www.in.gov/isdh/programs/immu...licy_exemp.htm. I have a friend with a child who attends a public school in Bloomington and she just sends in a note like the above link mentions, and hasn't had any problems. Hope this helps!
#6 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTmama View Post
We are not sure where in In we are headed. We are leaning toward south central or south eastern IN. Not too far outside Indianapolis though. Do you have any recommendations? We are planning a tour in the late summer or fall to take a look around (and visit friends in Illinois).
Bloomington is a great community!
#7 of 7 Old 07-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbear View Post
Indiana allows a religious exemption (no philosophical), although it doesn't appear to be terribly strict. Here's a link with more info
http://www.in.gov/isdh/programs/immu...licy_exemp.htm.
While IN law only names the religious exemption, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled offering privileges (or in this case waivers) based upon one's belief in God is unconstitutional, being a de facto establishment of religion as prohibited by the first amendment.

My recommendation is to word the core of your letter something like...
Vaccinating __My_Child__ is against my sincerely held religious and/or other beliefs.

If anyone commented on the odd wording I'd just say, "Yes, it sounded awkward to me too but I really wanted my letter to line up with the U.S. Supreme Court rulings since the passage of IN's vaccine exemption law." After that comment most bureaucrats would prefer making sure their paperwork is up to date for an audit to debating legislative versus case law.

~BV

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page