NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part Two - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1984 Old 07-24-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

to the NMY Graduates (+ babies) love thread (continued)!

Link to the first thread

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Our current lovees:
  • Katt & Teotimo (Teo) : (12/27/06)
  • Shanna & Fenton Edward : (3/26/07)
  • Holiztic/Elizabeth & Quinn Herrick : (4/13/07)
  • BeccaBear & Alexander Lewis : (5/6/07)
  • Alice & Johannes Edward : (5/20/07)
  • Sherrie (Turtle81) & Phillip Benjamin : (6/2/07)
  • Farmama & Natalina : (7/17/07)
  • Maela & Maev : (7/17/07)
  • Jodi & Rosalie Jayne : (7/23/07)
  • PiePie & Lorelei Siobhan : (8/16/07)
  • Arelyn & Micaiah : (8/16/07)

4 girls and 7 boys - will we even out or will the boys stay in the lead? Stay tuned to the exciting world of the NMY graduates to find out!

#3 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Important links:

Katt:
Shanna:
Holiztic/Elizabeth:
BeccaBear:
Alice:
Sherrie (Turtle81)
Farmama
Maela
Jodi:
PiePie:
Arelyn:
(If anyone has other important links to add, please PM me.)

#4 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Steph
You rock

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#5 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM

wow... went back to read some of my old posts during labour. very cool idea to link them
#6 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
wow... went back to read some of my old posts during labour. very cool idea to link them
They were in the original thread too

Thanks for the new thread BTW :

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#7 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBear View Post

We took our first flight with Alex a couple weeks ago. I had a family reunion in Utah. It went really well. Coming back, he slept the whole time! I was shocked that he slept so long. The hardest thing was carrying all our extra bags. *whew* Thankfully, DH got most of them, but it was hard on his back.
I'm flying with J this afternoon, sans DH! I think I've got the whole baby, bag, carseat thing worked out. I've got gogokidz to wheel around the car seat and will have J in wrap on my front, and a backpack for our carry-on. I'm going to make a separate trip from the car first for our checked luggage. And once I get there (Houston) my mom and uncle will be there to help at baggage claim.
The only thing I am worried about it that I will have to pump at the airport or on the plane b/c I don't think I can go 8+ hours without doing it, and also if I miss that pumping session then I would have less milk for the baby I donate to.
But I'm not sure where I can find to do it that would be at least a little bit private. I have no problem with NIP, but pumping might attract a bit more attention. I just despise the idea of doing it in the bathroom. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.
#8 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM

Have a good trip!! Lots of the airports I've been in have nursing mother rooms you could use. If not you could check out the area by the chapels and prayer rooms. They might have a quiet spot for you.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
#9 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
Have a good trip!! Lots of the airports I've been in have nursing mother rooms you could use. If not you could check out the area by the chapels and prayer rooms. They might have a quiet spot for you.
good idea! i will have to remember that for when i am out and about the city. catholic churches are almost always open.
#10 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 12:50 PM

Hope you have (had) a good trip Alice! It looks like we might be travelling with a two month old next year, and I'm wondering how feasible it will be. :

Kelly, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope it gets better for you soon. I'm trying not to psych myself out thinking about what might be in store for me in the coming weeks, but it helps to be aware anyway.

Arelyn, that is exciting? How do you feel? I agree with Shanna, it's amazing how much your belly changed in the two weeks between those last pics. Please keep us updated!

Anyone hear from Jodi?

Sihaya, I'm glad to hear you liked that book. And thanks for reminding me about the library. They had it on the shelf, so I checked it out yesterday. Some amazing pictures in there.

Piepie, I'm glad to hear of your revised work schedule! Sorry to hear about the GBS test, but like the other said, you did not fail your babe.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#11 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
I was less than excited when I saw we were starting a different love thread, but Sihaya won me over - that new thread is awesome with the links! Thank you! Hope Sean is feeling better today
Yeah, we didn't need a new thread in the too many posts and too much to keep track of way, but Isabel needed a break and I needed a roster to tend to, so it has all worked out. I just want to point out that I only cut and pasted exactly what Isabel already had posted - I want to make sure she gets the credit for it.

Thanks for the well wishes - Sean is on Tylenol 3 and some antibiotics () and is doing quite well. Looks like he will need surgery sometime in the next couple of months, but we need to find him a family doctor who will refer him to a surgeon first : Sorry to be so vague, but it isn't anything serious.

In other news, three raccoons got into the dumpster outside of our building last night. They howled and cried and made a ruckus keeping me up all night. Now the complex can't figure out what to do with them. I feel terrible because I threw out some rotton potatoes and tomatoes last night without putting them in a bag and I really don't want them to kill the raccoons, but that's pretty much their only choice

#12 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Banned

it's not their only choice! they can humane trap and move them. it doesn't cost any more than killing them, honestly.

animal control can provide resources or may remove the animals themselves.
#13 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Animal control said "We don't do that, call the DNR" The DNR said "We don't do that, you'll have to call a private pest control place" All the private pest control places are required by law to kill them because they could spread disease if they are moved out of the area they are found in and will return to the dumpster if they aren't removed.

#14 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM

Hi everyone,

Baby is here!

Rosalie Jayne was born on Monday - June 23rd at 6:04 pm. She was 7lb. 4oz. and was born at 39 weeks. She is 21 inches long.

I didn't get my homebirth because I didn't get my GBS done and the MW's policy is that you have to go into the hospital within 18 hours of your water being broken to get antibiotics..... so since my water broke before my contractions really got going - I was only dilated to a 5 by 18 hours, and so we went to the hospital.

I got one dose of antibiotics when we got there around 12noon. Then my labor went very well. I didn't get anymore antibiotics, and no pain meds etc. I'll give a more complete story later -but it's almost her meal-time....

My one MW was schduled to work a 3-11pm shift that night at the same hospital (as a LDR nurse because they don't have privleges here) so she stayed in my room as my "nurse" while the OB on-call actually caught the baby.
Here is a pic of my baby girl Rosalie:
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ent=baby15.jpg

Here is a pic of my MW's with the baby:
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...rent=baby9.jpg

Here is a pic of me and DH and baby just after she came out. My sister took the pic - and she took it just as the OB was doing a couple stitches (this particular stitch - I wasn't quite numb yet...)
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...rrent=baby.jpg

Okay - more later, gotta feed the hungry girl. my milk is just about to come in (so says the MW after my homevisit today)..... and so she's super hungry lately...

A real story with all the info is coming later...
-Jodi
#15 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Jodi!

: Welcome Rosalie Jayne! :

#16 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 PM

YEA!!! Congratulations Jodi!! Another Girl! Welcome Rosalie!
#17 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM

Congratulations, Jodi! :

Welcome to the world, Rosalie!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#18 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Congratulations Jodi!!!

Welcome Rosalie!!!!

She's beautiful! That looks like a painful stitch.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#19 of 1984 Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 PM

Congratulations Jodi :
Welcome Rosalie Jayne

so...will it be two more girls to catch up with the graduates boys?

Who's next? PiePie? Or have I forgotten someone.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#20 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 AM

CONGRATULATIONS JODI! I can't wait to read your full birth story. Interesting that your water broke first -- I read today (in Simkin) that beingGBS+ (which I am ) makes it more likely to start that way. But you did it! Is my addition right that you had a 24+ hour labor?! Yikes. How did you keep your mood up when you were told you measured 5 cm after 18 hours?

arelyn, you are next up, right?

Someone asked on the earlier thread for this tribe about book recommendations...here are mine:

*RE PREGNANCY: Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Care of the Newborn, by P. Simkin -- this is my favorite book re pregnancy because it is well-organized. It is definitely in favor of natural childbirth but does walk through all options in a very factual manner (pros and cons). When I need to look something up (OMG -- swollen ankles -- is this pre-eclampsia?), this book is most likely to have what I need.

*RE PREGNANCY: I would recommend the chapter in What's Going on in There, by L. Eliot, for working through the hype vs. the real risks of various prenatal threats to fetal health. Once you actually go to the scientific studies, you realize that a lot of stuff is overhyped (really, you would have to be consuming a lot of caffeine to harm your child) and some of it is under-played (e.g., you should be paranoid about listeria or many illnesses while pregnant).

*RE BIRTH: I think my favorite is either Simkin (above) or Sears' Birth Book. The Sears one is more pro-medical approach, although comes out strongly in favor of HB, all things considered. Just note that he tries to be very "non-judgmental" re, e.g., choosing an epidural. You can tell (or perhaps it's just a marketing ploy) which sections were penned by Bill the OB and which by Martha the birthmother to 7. I will let you know after I give birth which one I think paints a more realistic picture. DH has read most of Sears' Birth Book.

*RE BABIES: Sears' Baby Book, hands down. Mind you it is very huge (800+ pages), but it is a quick read (not very dense). I have a couple of criticisms, though: it is not inclusive of queer families, working mamas (I highly recommend skipping his chapter on working if you are going back to work or school for any significant amount of time before the child's 2nd birthday), single mamas, etc. Many complain that it is too mama-centric and disses dads or the non-birth parent. FWIW, DH mostly doesn't think so, although it did highlight his fear that I would be focused on the baby to the exclusion of him. Mostly he has raved about it. Not that he has finished it. Note that the approach is that mamas are biologically destined to behave in certain ways because of our hormones, so opponents of sociobiology, beware. Personally, I think I wouldn't let a baby cry it out whether I was lactating or not.

*RE BREASTFEEDING: It's presumptuous of me to say this, since I haven't even started the act yet, but I do think that Huggins' Nursing Mother's Companion is excellent. It's a better how-to than LLL's and the politics are not nearly so offensive (not anti-working mamas, anti-queer, anti-single mama). It is very matter of fact, in contrast to LLL's lovey-dovey approach (lots of stuff I agree with re delaying solids, GD, etc.), but I am sure that if I were having problems the LLL book would make me feel worse and the Huggins book would be better for trouble-shooting. That said, I think that LLL or Sears has the best stuff re introducing solids.

*RE INFANT DEVELOPMENT: If you don't have a lot of time but want a lot of information, I highly recommend Baby Brains, by Acredolo and somebody else. The subtitle is something stupid like Brain-Building Games Your Child Will Love. But this is mostly for educating you on your fetus/infant/toddler's amazing capacities. There are some games in there, but it's not the kind of flashcard, high-pressure nonsense that I associate with titles like that. (Did I tell you someone gave me flashcards for my shower? What to say in the thank-you note? They are English/Spanish vocab cards, with pictures.) It has much of the information about how babies think contained in What's Going on in There, by L. Eliot, but none of the overly detailed biology (OK, some of you might like that, but I really don't care where in the brain the neurons are firing, just what it means to me), and way more than in The Scientist in the Crib. Those two are the standards in this area but are very long, and What's Going on in There made me feel guilty in some places, and is not AP in some (minor) ways (notes that babe won't remember being left to CIO). So if you don't get offended by the breezy tone of Baby Minds (sometimes I felt like I was reading a glossy magazine), that's the best bang for your buck. DH enjoyed it too. Not that he has finished it.

*RE EMOTIONAL ASPECTS: Read Peterson's Easier Birth while pregnant, preferably in the first trimester. The author is a psychotherapist whose premise is that the birth is more prolonged if the woman has emotional baggage she hasn't processed about monumental life changes that the baby will bring. I skipped parts of it (I do not have to heal traumas from my own birth! (?)) but found the relevant parts very validating and valuable for understanding my own crazy feelings and DH's.

*RE RELATIONSHIP CHANGES: Misconceptions, by N. Wolf. This book is famous for 1) its expose of hosp birthing practices -- nothing new to the members of this tribe! and 2) the famous feminist's backtracking on abortion rights. But putting those things to one side, what I found valuable about it was her admissions of how the baby changed how she felt about her career, herself, and her relationship with her husband. Also much about her PPD.

*RE POLITICS: Peskowitz's Truth About the Mommy Wars. Bad title, AMAZING book. Don't see how you can call yourself a feminist without grappling with these issues...
#21 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations Jodi! She's beautiful

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#22 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 09:19 AM

I have a question about beds and children. I'll probably x-post somewhere else, but I thought I'd start with y'all first.

My 18-yr-old niece is going to be moving in with us in a couple weeks so she can start college in August. We don't have an extra bed for her--we had just sold our extra one before she contacted us about living with us...doh! The reason we sold it is that it was a traditional mattress complete with flame-retardants, and we were trying to rid the house of all chemicals possible before TTC.

So now we need to get her a bed, but as long as we're buying something we're going to buy a natural latex bed rather than bring those same chemicals back in the house. Latex beds are a little pricey but ours has a 20-yr guarantee, so they're worth it imho.

But since we're going to be spending a pretty penny on this bed, we were wondering if we could get a bed that could also serve as a young child's bed eventually. So my question: if we got a twin-sized bed now, is that something that a young child could sleep in? Starting when? Would we still need something to "fill the gap" between co-sleeping and a twin-sized bed?

TIA for any advice you can give!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#23 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

snozz:

my sister started sleeping in a twin at age 2-3, with little railings on the sides (made of wood--very pretty).

so, whenever.

as an alternative, a japanese styled futon can be nice. my thai yoga massage mat is basicly a double (full) sized bed when rolled out and VERY comfortable. it cost only $250 (or less, that's with shipping) and it makes a great pad on the floor for sitting, hanging out, whatever, is great for guests, makes a good camp bed (best night under the stars ever), and so on. I got mine through sun and moon originals.

that way, you can wait to buy the expensive bed if you need to. if you can afford that bed, then a twin would be fine, and definitely one your kiddo can use down the line no problem.

but if you don't have enough cash and need something quick and temporarily, and that has other good uses as well, then this is a good option (and it's all natural, organic, and hand made).
#24 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
So my question: if we got a twin-sized bed now, is that something that a young child could sleep in? Starting when? Would we still need something to "fill the gap" between co-sleeping and a twin-sized bed?

TIA for any advice you can give!
Yes, depending on how long you co-sleep for. We plan on co-sleeping for a year and a bit (until whenever we nightwean?) and then going to a crib, using one of those screens taking the side off if baby starts to climb out, but then moving to a twin and skipping the whole "toddler bed" thing. I have been seduced by how cute they look, but I also think they are part of the baby-industrial complex and not a necessity. I am certain my brother and I never had them.
#25 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 10:40 AM

MORE BOOKS:

* RE "COLIC": Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block. I don't love his reliance on swings and pacifiers, but other than that, a good book and a quick read. Definitely going for a mainstream audience, so those of us with multiculti sensitivities will have to lower our antennas when he talks about "primitive" cultures' baby-rearing practices (to praise them).

* RE CO-SLEEPING: Good Nights, by J. Gordon. DH loved this one. Lots of celeb name-dropping, which dh didn't care about but i suppose is to try to make the practice seem more mainstream. Very good for those of us concerned about safety. Most books on this are just about why it's good, but this one is actually PRACTICAL.
#26 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Yay Jodi! Rosalie is beautiful! Congrats!!!!

Come ponder with me about food!
#27 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

sihaya:

there might be a wildlife rehabilitator in your area who would have other options. worth looking into at least.

jodi:

congratulations! your baby is beautiful! (true, all of the 'grad' babies are! but still... )
#28 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM

: Welcome Rosalie Jayne!!!:

She's beautiful :

Congratualtions Jodi (and new dad).

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#29 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, zoebird. DH put a big branch in there when he got home from work and they crawled right out. I just hope they don't try to get in there again!

#30 of 1984 Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

oh, that's good news. at least they're out! and, hopefully they won't come back. keeping the dumpster closed should help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page