Suggestions for Seattle Area Homebirth Midwives? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I'm trying to find a midwife in the Seattle area that will also do a homebirth. It would be nice if they did well woman care too. I noticed several naturopath doctors that are covered by my insurance also are licensed midwives and do homebirth so if anyone has worked with one of the (good or bag) I would love to hear that too.

I would prefer someone on the Eastside but anywhere in the Seattle area is OK. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Morgan Martin and Felice Barnow with Seattle Naturopathy Acupuncture & Birth Center, 206-328-7929. They are in the Madison Valley area so that's kinda central.

We had our first daughter at the birth center with Morgan attending and she was great. We plan to have our second at home. They are both very down to earth. They also do pediatric care for after the baby comes and wellness care for you.
#3 of 18 Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 AM

I am a doula and birth educator in Seattle, some midwives that do HB that I think are worth looking into are:

Cynthia Brown

Suzie, Marge and Heather

Tracy and Michelle

more information about all of them and links to their own webpages can be found here:

http://www.communitybirth.org/meetourmidwives.html

Good luck in your search for a care provider

Sharon
Doula, Doula Trainer, Birth and Family Educator
New Moon Birth
www.newmoonbirth.com

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!

#4 of 18 Old 08-02-2007, 12:49 PM

We are using Tracy and Michelle-they are in Seattle. I have heard more than one person here and IRL rave aboue Heike and Traci at Puget Sound Birth Center which is in Kirkland.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#5 of 18 Old 08-02-2007, 12:58 PM

I love Heike at Puget sound midwives and birth center in Kirkland. Unfortunatly, Traci moved to Montana in June.
There is another set of midwives that practcie out of PSMBC as well that I have heard wonderful things about.
#6 of 18 Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies so far... looks like I have some research to do. The last place I lived there were only 2 homebirth midwives that would travel to my area. I'm glad to see I have some choices.
#7 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I just had a wonderful hb with Lisa Boyd (http://www.tenmoons.net/).
#8 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 04:56 AM

I just did a home birth with Cynthia Brown. (I live in lower Queen Anne.) She is fantastic. She has started doing births at the Puget Sound Birth Center in Kirkland since the Community Birth and Family Center closed, so she may not mind travelling to the eastside for a homebirth. Her office is north of Greenlake though ... But she is wonderful!

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#9 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 AM

I had my last child at home with Beth Coyote and Geraldine Lee and would work with them again. Their link: http://www.rainycitymidwiferyandacupuncture.com/

You do have a lot of choices in the Seattle area. I'd suggest that you do a few interviews to see who really clicks for you.
#10 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm working with a wonderful midwife for a planned HB in November. I think she's out of the PSBC to, in kirkland. Her name is Suzanne Thomson, LM, CPM. She works out of the Kirkland and seattle offices and is just lovely.

she's at 206 365 5156. I know a lot of women who have had sucessful, connected births w/ her by their side.

Best of luck
#11 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGriff View Post
I just did a home birth with Cynthia Brown. (I live in lower Queen Anne.) She is fantastic. She has started doing births at the Puget Sound Birth Center in Kirkland since the Community Birth and Family Center closed, so she may not mind travelling to the eastside for a homebirth. Her office is north of Greenlake though ... But she is wonderful!
I live in Lower Queen Anne, too! And I'm due in March & seeing Cindie & she's wonderful so far. She'll lose her hospital privileges if she does twins at home (they run in my family so it's a valid concern for me), but she'll readily refer you to another midwife she knows who has a lot of twin experience & is fine with losing that privilege if she's "caught" attending twins at home. Cindie's also very hands-off, doesn't take weight but instead focuses on nutrition, is totally fine with me not wanting any AFP or GTT testing, etc. and is really upbeat and confident in a mom's ability.
#12 of 18 Old 08-03-2007, 06:25 PM

I fourth Tracy & Michelle with Expecting the Best Midwifery, they are amazing women! Tracy is pictured in my homebirth slideshow in my signature.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#13 of 18 Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 PM

i second lisa boyd! she is just a joy to work with.
#14 of 18 Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 PM

I had an amazing waterbirth at the Puget Sound Birth Center just last month. I worked with Ali and Valerie and they were the best. I opted to birth there, but they do homebirths and an in home visit for your and baby's first 24-48 hr follow-up appt.
#15 of 18 Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM

I had a wonderful homebirth with Valerie and Ali at PSBC in Kirkland. They were great to work with throughout the pregnancy and Valerie was fantastic at the birth. I can't say enough good things about my experience with them.
#16 of 18 Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM

We had a homebirth with Ali and Valerie from PSBC in Kirkland as well. They were wonderful, they did not push anything, just informed me and let it go at that. I did do the GBS swab, but I did it myself, no biggie. They were VERY hands-off, which is what I wanted. I caught my son myself. Thier assistants (midwives in training) were great too.

We met with Tracey and Michelle and Beth before choosing Ali and Valerie. The main reason was the PSBC was down the street from my work.

Interview different midwives and see who you click with.
Have fun!
#17 of 18 Old 08-20-2007, 02:32 AM

Our midwife Ann Olsen was fabulous! She's in Enumclaw and we had our birth in Tacoma at The Birthing Inn, but I know she does homebirth as well.

www.midwifeann.com

She's south of Seattle but just in case there are other moms in the south end looking I thought I'd share her name!

Melissa (mommy to 17 mo old Ella Marie)
#18 of 18 Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heike from PSBC attended my second DD's homebirth just one year ago now. She is awesome. I can't say enough good things about her. I loved Traci, as well, but it sounds like she's gone now With my first DD Heike, Traci and Ali were all on the team and I loved Ali. I know a couple of other mamas who have had Ali attend their births and loved her, as well.

Good Luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page