Not Mamas Yet! August 2007! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you building stashes of baby stuff (or considering it), the MDC Trading Post is fabulous. You can find gently used everything for decent prices, and you can also trade the stuff you have and don't need for stuff you want. We've built a huge stash of stuff (for tadpoles and the Small Friends) and gotten some great stuff for ourselves there.

I'm so glad NMY is back!
#32 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

dvldog:

hey, it's your TTC month! congrats on that!

frog:

oh yeah! good idea. LOL why hadn't i thought of that. . .i'm so silly.

what else? oh yeah. i paid for a business signature, so my web site will soon be linked from there. i just am waiting for the ok/go-ahead from a mod--because i don't want to do anything that's unseemly.

i'm also negotiating another workshop series with a place in Tahoe. I'm so psyched about this. my friend works there. and through another friend, i have a connection to a tourism company in Nepal--and this tahoe-friend and I might lead a yoga vacation in nepal sometime in 08!

i just dont' have time to have babies. LOL ryan and i were talking about TTCing in Jan, but if i'm planning a trip to Nepal, it might be difficult to do that AND have a baby. HA! oh well.

anyone want to go to nepal?
#33 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceane View Post

did you also get baby carriers? whenever I check and know which ones I'd like it looks like they alone amount to over 100. Maybe I am too picky...
congrats on managing it like that!
a bjorn, a maya wrap, an ergo, and a filly tough traveller
#34 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 04:27 PM

OK, one non-wedding, but wedding-related pic can be found on my blog. I had a bruise on the back of my head from all the : bobby pins!

DH (first time I've typed that, I think... weeeeeeeeeeird) has the CDs with our "official" pics, and my computer is acting up. I'm also pirating internet out of our living room window, so uploading pics is a sketchy process (sometimes I lose signal in the middle of up/downloading something). I'll be back in AK next Monday (where has my summer gone?!), and will have steady internet access then, and plan to upload a whole heap. I know one of Shaun's friends posted all her pics of us online, but I don't have the link, and he's not here at the moment.

Lots of packing to do in the upcoming week. Blargh.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#35 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 06:19 PM

at the moment i am really loving living in harlem. everybody is very solicitous of my belly -- not in that, omg are you in labor way, more like, hang in there momma, any day now, you're about to drop, etc. neighbors whose names i do not even know bought us a massive thing of wipes.

i find that the best way of getting a seat on the subway is to find an african-american man under age 20 or over age 60 and position myself in front of him. yes, there is a chivalrous, problematic from a feminist aspect to it, but i don't care, i want my D**n seat. last night i was on the subway coming home from outdoor shakespeare and some kid (not a little kid -- at least 11, even assuming he is supersized for his age) was taking up an extra seat with BAGS. my husband asked him to move them for me and he just glared at him. i launched into a reprimand of how he should be ashamed of himself, etc., all in spanish, and he moved the bags but was sulking. the day before, i had this with an adult woman in the morning, when i was facing an hour on that train. as if i should stand so her suitcase could be next to her! but mostly i have had very good experiences,even before i started being huge. as recently as a month ago, everyone said i was "tiny." now i feel like i'm carring triplets! no one has commented on the multiples possibility (i think i might melt down) but i have had people express incredulousness that i am so far away from my due date.
#36 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 07:05 PM

Congrats DvlDg on officially TTCing! Sounds like things could be very exciting! And I completely sympathize on the train ride to Cambridge. Been there done that, not overly looking forward to having to take the commuter rail to Boston when pregnant, but whatever.

This is the month when we were going to start TTCing ourselves, but I'm kinda glad we're holding off a few more months. No more than that, though:P
I need some more time to prepare.

And hooray for all you post-wedding people!

Come ponder with me about food!
#37 of 380 Old 08-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

piepie:

i don't think that chivalry (sp?) is anti-feminist at all. i think it is largely under "manners" and honestly, i appreciate when people treat me that way (man or woman), and i strive to treat others that way too (man or woman).

for example, i'll get up for the 60 yr old man, the pregnant lady, the person holding a kid, etc. i'll also hold doors for people, etc.

and people do it for me too. it's nice.

and yes, some people have no manners what so ever!

other stuff:

ryan and i looked at a Prius today, seriously. my car died last week (or the week before), and his car is as old as mine (actually older). we think it will last us 5-6 months or more. so, we went and looked at the prius (it's what i've wanted for a couple of years now), and we're going to start saving up for it now.

i'm psyched about that. still months away, of course, but fun nonetheless.
#38 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 AM

zoebird... we're thinking about buying a prius when we're home this winter! We want to have a car waiting for us in the Lower 48, and neither of us are big into new cars, but if we're going to buy a new (or new-ish used) car, it's going to be a hybrid.

Side note: we found our dream house... a few years too early. We're uncertain how long we'll stay in AK, so we aren't in house-buying mode just yet... but we are in LOVE with this house.

Anyone want to buy a cute farmhouse in Wisconsin? My dream digs.

*sigh*

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#39 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post

Anyone want to buy a cute farmhouse in Wisconsin? My dream digs.

*sigh*
me not that its gonna happen anytime soon

oh its so nice where in WI is it?

cold.gifme + headscratch.gif him and one littlecat.gifPaco the Taco hoping for one of these  makebabe.gifin the near future

#40 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think it's a good idea to have the discussion and to bring up the most salient points.

i don't like the idea of a contract, but i do think that you should assert that if she doesn't comply, then the living arrangement would have to change and that you'll discuss with her if the need arises before trying to change the arrangement.

though, if i remember correctly, it's only temporary anyway, right? until she goes off to school?
She's moving in with us while she goes to college. In our minds, it's temporary until she can afford her own place with or w/o roommates, but I don't know what her expectations are. So that's something to discuss!

PiePie, good for you for standing up to people and making them think twice about their selfishness!

Quote:
ryan and i looked at a Prius today, seriously. my car died last week (or the week before), and his car is as old as mine (actually older). we think it will last us 5-6 months or more. so, we went and looked at the prius (it's what i've wanted for a couple of years now), and we're going to start saving up for it now.

i'm psyched about that. still months away, of course, but fun nonetheless.
Oh, man. I'm jealous!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#41 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM

blizzard babe, where is Almond, WI? I've got people all over the state, but that one's new to me. Must be north, based on the area code...
#42 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I don't know how to link so could someone link us and roll call us as well? Hope you are all enjoying the "Dog Days of Summer" in North America. What do you say about winter in South America? The Blustery Cold Days of Winter???? Hmmmm.

Jenne
By the way, it's summer in Europe too. : And winter in Australia.

blizzard No one ever thinks about how the bride has to undo all that pretty at the end of the day, do they? I had a whole bunch of Hollywood Fashion Tape on my right boob, because for whatever reason, my dress fit perfectly on one side but not the other. You'd think there was a size change of a couple cups between boobs. That was unfun to get out of. I love your pic! I kinda wish I'd thought of something cool to do with the leftover tape globs, although… ieuw.

zoebird I'd looove to go to Nepal, but I have serious doubts I could make that happen yet. In undergrad, almost all my friends were from Nepal or Malaysia, and I swear one day I will go visit all of them. One of the Nepali women really loved cooking and would invite us over for free dinners of the delicious variety. I learned to eat rice dishes with my hands. yummmmm
#43 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 AM

My next car will be a hybrid. I'm thinking a Prius or a Civic...my uncle has a Prius, and the only thing that I find problematic is how much you have to pay attention to things on the dashboard. But otherwise, I love it!

And Toyota is supposed to go all hybrid in 2012!

#44 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

blizz:

yeah, i've wanted one for a couple of years--and it's affordable. we're a single-car family now, and it's working out pretty nice for us. i loose an hour of time per day (5 hrs per week), but it's not bad. i make a lot of phone calls while on the road. LOL

as for the house, it's a pretty house and a lot of house and land for that price. it's a steal! of course, i would have to know about near by towns, how near they are, and so on--because i do need a bit of city life honestly--but it is beautiful! around here, you'd pay probably about $750 k or more (depending upon the town).

but never fear, the right house always finds you at the right time.

snozz:

her expectations are definitely something to discuss. i think that a contract would actually be a good idea in your situation. it is almost like a 'rental agreement.' the rules are important--and remember to include a "due process" situation in which if she has an issue or you have an issue, there's a process that both can rely on to be heard and find a method to come to agreement about it.

she might also benefit from having some form of timeline about moving out. i think it's very important that young people in college are on their own completely--it really helps them in a variety of ways. so presenting it as you want to help her AND benefit her college experience, that you'll provide housing for the first and maybe second years, but following that she'll need to find a way to have her own housing.
#45 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 PM

My mom has a Prius. It's nice but not to my taste. I actually just got my first new car. It's a Toyota Yaris. Love the toyotas.
#46 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Banned

Alcoyne:

We're looking at doing it about a year from now--maybe in Aug, Sept, Oct 08.

of course, that sets TTC back a smidge. but, we've already discussed that we were going to push TTC back and not put any dates on it. we figure that it will be obvious to us when the time is right, and that right now isn't right and neither is january.

so maybe if we fix the roll call, my TTC can say "whenever." LOL!

in re prius:

we're going to look at the civic also, but we're kinda more interested in the prius. i'm not sure why. but we haven't looked at the civic yet--and we plan to.

the camery also comes in hybrid, but it was out of our price range (nearly $30k).

i'm so psyched to be a one car home right now! we're decreasing our carbon footprint! also, we buy most of our food locally! i'd say we're at over 50% at least. all meat, dairy, and eggs are local; our fresh veggies are within 100 miles. that's at least 50% of the food we buy. it's so cool.
#47 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

dvldog:

we were considering the yaris, honestly. but our concern was about fitting small children. we want to have the car for at least 10 years (our car is currently 11 yrs old), and this means being able to fit growing kids over time. we thought the prius was roomier.

but the yaris price can't be beat--and the yaris sedan is roomier, actually. we do like those hatchbacks, though too. which one did you get--hatchback or sedan?
#48 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Frog... Almond is near Stevens Point. Pretty much smack dab in the geographic center of the state. I grew up here... it's nice.

See, I wouldn't mind buying it while we were up in AK, then working hard and being frugal for five years pay it down a lot, so we could come back to it in the summers and at Christmas. Then we could refinance on what's due (which, based on some rough budgeting, wouldn't be too bad) and be a single-income family.

But DH is not sure he's willing to commit to that many more years in the bush, and if we buy one when we come back, we'll both have to be working, so we'll have to wait and see where I/we get jobs.

Ah well. Zoebird, you're right. The right house will find us when it's time.

#49 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 PM

zoebird:

I have a sedan. I don't like hatchbacks. I like definite trunks. Suprisingly there is a lot of room in it. Of course I'm short. I'm 5ft and most of my family and some friends don't exceed the 5'6 mark. I did have a really tall friend in my car but only suvs are big enough for him (he has a long torso). So if you're pretty tall its not a good car.
#50 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 04:57 PM

Out here in the burbs, we can't really be a one-family car, not at least until we can move closer to DH's work and close-ish to a commuter rail so I can get to school.

But for the summer at least, we've made a compromise. We generally take my car, which has better gas mileage of the two (usually around 32 mpg, highway), and then I take the subway into Boston.

But our commute to DH's camp is usually over an hour, as there's no real nice direct route. He wants to find a camp closer by for next summer, but from what we've been told, he'd make no where near what he makes now, not enough to make up for the lack of driving. Plus they LOVE him at the camp he's at now. C'est la vie.

In a few weeks though, school starts up, and it's no closer to school, so back to the commuter rail for me. I'm close to it where we live now, but not quite close enough for me to walk there most of the time (definitely NOT in the winter).

#51 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM

We're a no-car family (neither DH nor I have ever owned a car, and we have no interest in one at this time) and I'm putting a real effort into buying local and organic. It feels really good. I'm considering signing up for this service that delivers all organic food to your door, and it all comes from farms here in Denmark. Basically they send exactly what you need to make your meals for the week. DH says he's heard good things about it.
#52 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 10:33 PM

another no car family here!
#53 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Alcoyne:

We're looking at doing it about a year from now--maybe in Aug, Sept, Oct 08.

of course, that sets TTC back a smidge. but, we've already discussed that we were going to push TTC back and not put any dates on it. we figure that it will be obvious to us when the time is right, and that right now isn't right and neither is january.

so maybe if we fix the roll call, my TTC can say "whenever." LOL!

in re prius:

we're going to look at the civic also, but we're kinda more interested in the prius. i'm not sure why. but we haven't looked at the civic yet--and we plan to.

the camery also comes in hybrid, but it was out of our price range (nearly $30k).

i'm so psyched to be a one car home right now! we're decreasing our carbon footprint! also, we buy most of our food locally! i'd say we're at over 50% at least. all meat, dairy, and eggs are local; our fresh veggies are within 100 miles. that's at least 50% of the food we buy. it's so cool.
We've always been a one car family (and at times, a no car family) but we use public transport or walk whenever we can. I've even started doing my grocery shopping on foot.

We're also working on the food miles thing and I would say that 50% of our food comes from within 100km's of our home.

We're very privileged to have this kind of access to things though and I try not to be judgmental about how others live. (although SUV driving, processed food eating, RICH, suburbanites drive me nuts!)

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#54 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey y'all! I don't mind to edit the first post at all...BrownLioness could you send me the doc? mmmm...I guess pm me and I'll send you my email address???

Apologies to all...I'm meant "Northern Hemisphere" and "Southern Hemisphere" not America...I've been a little overwhelmed...the thought was specifically geared toward midwinter Australia

Congrats on the 2ww DvlDg

: : : WHAT A DAY! I sat for my big exam today...that I quit my job to study for...the AC was out in the testing room...GROSS!...then about 2/3 of the way through there was a "glitch" (that's the technical term they gave the situation) with my computer causing it to process the exam as complete instead of giving me the next question. SO. I had about 10 questions not answered, have no idea what number I was on, had 12 I was going to review. They will let me know in 48hours what they are going to do...Hopefully, I can just retake it. And the plot thickens...

So I was upset and my bf had stayed home from work today so I went to his place. He had been asleep and my knock woke him up. I was crying. I explained what happened. He stood and looked at me. I asked (!) for a hug, he reluctantly gave me one. Then acted annoyed at being bothered. I explained that I was really upset, didn't want to be alone, but that I would just sit on his couch and he could go back to sleep. So he did. I sat on the couch. My mom called. We talked--I was very quiet PLUS I put my hand over my mouth. At the very end of our conversation he said something from his bedroom. I hung up and went in and said, "What did you say sweetie?" He said, "I'm trying to sleep!" I paused and thought about the fact that people were going to keep calling me about the exam so I said, "Well, I think I'll go." No response from him. I walk into the other room and put on my shoes. I walk back into the room and stand next to the bed waiting for him to say something. And wait. And wait. Nothing. So I put my hand on his back and say, "I'm going to go, bye." And wait for a response. And wait. And wait. He isn't asleep because he isn't breathing rythmically or anything AND it had been just like 3-4 minutes from his exclamation about trying to sleep. So I leave. I'm done. I would have stayed up with an upset stranger let alone friend or more. Grrrrr. I'm okay with it. Maybe my baby brain will slow down a bit

Congrats on the wedding blizzard...and great farmhouse!!!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#55 of 380 Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

OH! LOVE my Toyota Matrix. I have a 5speed and get almost 40 mpg highway... love the room I feel it has (my Dad is 6'5" and fits comfy in the front or the back!) but the fact that it feels small to drive but I sit up a little bit higher then a sedan. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I would highly, highly, highly recommend it. You know how there is always something you'd like changed about a car? Nothing. Not one thing. Nope. LOVE it! It is plastic in the back which is perfect for transporting dirt, dogs, and other junk. All the seats fold flat including the passenger seat which has a laptop port. I have never felt this way about a car. I can't wait for this 6-10 years to go by so that I can get another one

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#56 of 380 Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 AM

One car family (two adults and a dog) here, too. The car we're driving this summer isn't even ours... we were planning on buying one, but DH's dad had always wanted a Jeep Wrangler, and the only way his wife would let him get one was if he said it was for us to drive around this summer.

It's nice... this way we can save up for the hybrid we plan to buy when we're over winter break.

#57 of 380 Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned

alcoyne, piepie:

if we lived in areas like yours, we wouldn't have cars either. Dk had great public transportation; and NYC is easy to get around. if we lived in a city or in an environment with great transportation, we would definitely do that. (no car)

my nearest bus stop is a 5 mile walk, btw, and considering how i work and where, there aren't any bus stops near enough, or a schedule clear enough to get me to places on time.

but, in the future, i want to live and work very close.

one of our friends is struggling right now. he's blind, and so he's always used public transport or car pool. about 6-7 years ago, he got married. his wife is currently deathly ill (as in, in kidney failure in the hospital with a staph infection that she picked up there!). they have a daughter.

he owned a small house near work, near a bus stop, etc when they got married. she wanted a bigger place and would drive him to work. they had their kid, and then she stopped working (to be a SAHM), except they bought the house on two incomes (hers and his) and then were strapped. then she became ill--now they're even more strapped--and they're at the point where they're going to loose the house, CPS is calling (her family called CPS because they think that because he's blind he can't care for the kid, and they also think that he's the cause of her illness .

so, my husband and i have helped him out a bit. before the house forcloses, we recommended that he sell it. he put it on the market yesterday, and thankfully already has a buyer interested (a neighbor has a friend who likes the neighborhood). he will sell the house, and then use the money to buy a smaller place within walking distance (in 4 seasons) to work. it's literally less than 2 blocks. the bus stop is probably about 6 blocks away form the house (4 blocks from the office), and the condo there is a two bedroom.

even if his wife gets well, there's enough space for them. also, the school district is great and hannah is about to start kindergarden.

what's even better is that there is a woman in the condo block who runs a very small, in-home day care. she has one opening, which would be perfect for little Hannah. It's an expense, of course, but he's close to her, she's close to him, and it's all within walking distance.

ryan and i laughed and said "oh, why didn't we think of that?" anyway, with any luck, he'll be able to get one of the condos that are for sale. i hope so anyway. he needs a break (or three). poor guy.

witchy:

the driving in suburban life can be killer. we're lucky that we only live 1/2 an hour from where ryan works, and that i have enough time to get him there and get myself back or over to my jobs as well. it can be tough.

when i was commuting to school (45 minutes away) and he was at work--we couldn't have done the one car thing. but now, we can.

and when we move, we're going to look for a situation similar to what Alc. and PiePie and MMM have--where we're closer to what we want to be closer to and can walk as much as possible.

that's why i think of santa monica a lot. i love that town. west hollywood is great--and more central to everything "hollywood' (studios, producer's offices, etc and so better for whatever commuting ryan might have to do. but in SM, i'm very close to beach, i'll teach out of my home, there's a great 'town' feel to the place. . .i really like it. and it's safe. . .

but it might be west hollywood first (which is a great neighborhood on a lot of counts, but a 5 mile walk to the beach--which is walkable (through beverly hills on santa monica blvd.

we'll see.

in NZ, transportation was so-so. most places are walkable (wellington is very walkable and has a good bus system), but outside of that, we didn't see much. i mean, i guess i'd just have to figure out their system. i couldn't figure it out while i was there. . .

yeah, anyway. i get it.

living in the burbs ain't easy. . .and it's emotionally frustrating too. one of my clients just announced that she's putting her 5 day old baby on the "babywise" plan. it's sad. baby sleeps in a separate room and everything.
#58 of 380 Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Banned

jenne:

doesn't sound like a very emotionally intellegent boyfriend (rather selfish, really). i'm sorry about your exam and your boyfriend's behavior.
#59 of 380 Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Jenne, I'm so sorry your bf is being such a choad. Gah. :

I'm both totally overwhelmed with life and not feeling like I have anything entertaining or interesting to contribute. I'm gearing up to go to a family wedding this weekend, which should be fascinating. Always fun to be at a wedding with my mother, who cries and cries, having never gotten a wedding for either of her kids. : My brother and his wife are having big problems, for which my brother is mostly to blame, and they're expecting a baby, so that's fun, too. He'll be at the wedding.

The following weekend, my brother and I are hosting a huge party in honor of our parents' 40th wedding anniversary. turtle and my bro's wife will both be there. Also, should be VERY interesting. : : :

In between all of that, there's a chance that we might be adding kids (yes, PLURAL) to our family sooner rather than later, and we're on pins and needles, waiting to see what's going to happen.
#60 of 380 Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
living in the burbs ain't easy. . .and it's emotionally frustrating too. one of my clients just announced that she's putting her 5 day old baby on the "babywise" plan. it's sad. baby sleeps in a separate room and everything.
Oh, no. No no no! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page