Looking for AP Moms in Nassau County, LI - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 07-11-2003, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

We just moved to Long Beach, NY from Maryland. I've been feeling quite isolated so far and not had many opportunities to meet people. Other moms I meet (park, store, daughter's camp) have been friendly and nice but I'm also looking for some like minded AP moms. I'm a LLL leader and the local leader hasn't shown much interest in developing a connection (she's been doing this for 20 + years and I don't know that her group gets much attendance). I've got a 2.5 year old daughter and am expecting in 4 weeks.

Any connections are welcome! Hey, we live across the street from the beach so there's an added incentive to come visit!

Thanks!
Nicole

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 11:36 AM

HI Nicole,

I just moved from LI and know how discouraging it can get with the "Baby Bucket Brigade" type parents you meet most times out there.

There is a wonderful group "Natural Mothering" that was started by Susan Brockman (tell her Desa says hi and that I had a FANTASTIC birth) and Jennifer Newall. I'm sure you can find a whole bunch of like minded mamas as well as an invaluble wealth of knowledge from them.

Their website is -- http://www.naturalmotheringforum.org/

Hope you find your groove on the island... It can be tough sometimes.
#3 of 13 Old 07-12-2003, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Desa! I emailed them right away. Hope I hear from them soon.

LOL at "baby bucket brigade" -- I had to think for a minute on what that means (carseat tote right?!). My toddler was carrying around her dolly in a sling the other day and we got some funny looks...though I do see moms with baby bjorns so I guess that's the body carrier of choice around here. Looks like I'll have to start a trend!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#4 of 13 Old 07-13-2003, 09:49 PM

Glad I could help Nicole. I miss my birthing commmunity ties that i had in LI, but where I am now is SO much more AP, BF, homebirthing friendly... I actually feel a bit rigid, all most main stream by comparison. LOL!!:

I hope that you are able to hook up with some like minded mamas.
#5 of 13 Old 08-13-2003, 08:23 AM

Nicole,
Hi! I hardly ever have time to dig too deeply into the Mothering boards anymore. I hope you are still out there. I live in Queens but my DS and I come ot Long Beach a lot!!! We ususally go to Oregon Street/Arizona and hang out until around 1 :00. Please PM me if you want to hook up. (If you are nearly due you may not want to yet, but I'll understand.) DS will be 4 in October by the way.

I hope you are feeling good.

Joyfulliving
#6 of 13 Old 08-13-2003, 11:00 PM

I am in Queens also, not far from Nassau County. Sounds like we have a few people in the area; maybe we should do a get-together?

I have an almost-4 year old and a 6 month old.

Maya
#7 of 13 Old 08-14-2003, 03:47 PM

Mayapapaya,

Which part of Queens are you in? We live in Rego Park at the moment but are looking to move to Queens Village, Floral Park or Bellerose.

Nice to meet you!

JL
#8 of 13 Old 08-14-2003, 04:09 PM

We are in Glen Oaks, which is right by Floral Park/Bellerose. We will be living here until next spring...

Maya
#9 of 13 Old 08-16-2003, 04:04 PM

MayaPapaya,
You know, we have also been hearing agout the Glen Oaks Village co-ops. Have you seen them?

JL
#10 of 13 Old 08-16-2003, 10:57 PM

We don't live in Glen Oaks Village, though we live right next to it. It seems like a really nice place, especially nice for kids if you live in an apartment that opens onto a courtyard. It is very friendly and nice for taking walks, convenient to buses and shopping, etc. I think it is pretty reasonably priced, but I'm not sure.

Maya
#11 of 13 Old 08-17-2003, 08:05 AM

Thanks Maya,

We've been doing the "how and to where do we move outta here dance for 5 years now." This is the first time we've ever considered that area and I'm wondering why it has taken us so long. Narrowing down our priorities I suppose. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the info on Glen Oaks Village.

Joyfulliving
#12 of 13 Old 08-18-2003, 06:19 PM

Hi, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new mom of 9 1/2 week old, Lyla. I live in Bayside and am also looking for LIKE-minded and OPEN-minded moms nearby. However, my Lyla doesn't like her sling, and prefers the baby bjorn to it! And, I do sometimes tote her in the bucket! : Hope that's okay

I live very close to Glen Oaks garden apts and they seem very nice.
#13 of 13 Old 08-23-2003, 03:26 PM

I just moved to Huntington in Suffolk County on the Nassau border. Moved from very AP friendy Boulder, Colorado. I am wondering where you are in Nassau, and how old your kids are now? (I'm not sure how old the post is because I am new at this!) My daughter is almost 3 1/2. By the way, I was a leader applicant for LLL, so I did much of the training to be a leader.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page