Mothering Forum banner

like-minded mamas

775 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MFuglei 
#1 ·
I'm tired of friends who think the way I've arranged my life for optimum time with my son is laziness. Looking for some like-minded mamas in and around Denver for some mutual support and maybe some play dates.

Talk to you soon.

~Jasmene (downtownmama)

#2 ·
There are a lot of Denver mamas on this board!!!

Funny enough, I was hanging out with another one yesterday. . .my munchkin went down for a nap (we were at my house) and as soon as hers started in with the eye rubbing, she rushed out. . . I was absolutely unoffended --saying "People always give us trouble when we do this, but what's wrong with scheduling around your baby's naps?"

Honestly, scheduling my life around my child has never been laziness -- I believe it's essential to SURVIVAL!!! And a happy baby!!!

#3 ·
I feel the same way...I never meet any like-minded mama's anywhere...DH and I always feel like the 'weird ones'...

We'd love to get together. We're in Denver too. I belong to the Boulder mamas yahoo group, but so far, haven't been able to make it up to any of there get togethers.

My DD is 11 1/2 mo.

#4 ·
There have been several threads trying to organize a playgroup. . . perhaps we should just jump on in and get things moving? I'd love to shoot for something in August -- that would give us time to schedule it and I'm going to be out of town for two weeks, so I'd be back in time to do something!!

Perhaps I should collect a list of Denver mamas from previous threads and PM everyone to get things rolling?

#5 ·
Jasmene!!

I think the trouble with getting a larger group together is

a) When is a good time for everyone?

b) Where can a large group meet?

How old is your little one? I'd be happy to have one or two mamas over to my place, as long as their babies are a little younger, not really moving around a WHOLE lot, because my apartment isn't baby-proofed yet.
I feel bad having older kids over because it's inconvenient for their mamas, having to chase them around the whole time. My place isn't the most kid-friendly.

The PM thing might be a good idea, it might keep the group a little smaller. I'm not trying to in any way exclude anyone. Just from experience that trying to get a bigger group together usually doesn't happen, KWIM?

#6 ·
I'm excited that there are so many of us on this board!!!

Nataliekat~
Thanks for warning us about your apartment...Layne is 3, and as busy as they come, so we avoid places with nice, expensive things like the plague!!!
My apartment is equally unfit. It is 325 sq. ft. and isn't very comfortable with more than a couple extra people in it, not to mention that it's on the top floor with no AC. (my poor baby-would you believe he still wants to sleep with a blanket on?) Anyway, maybe we should try meeting outdoors somewhere first unless someone else offers their home.
~ Jasmene

All other Dever mamas (me n sweetsaeda, MFuglei)~

Getting large groups together can be such hard work. We used to live in Seattle and got together with some of the Mothering Board mamas out there and we always ended up leaving someone out because you just can't accomodate everyone. We felt bad-but it was just not possible. So we will have to be slightly utilitarian in our approach to playdates and do what makes the majority happy, and then set up another day that may work better for those who missed out the first time.
Early August would work great for us. My schedule is fairly flexible untill the 22nd when my classes start up full throttle again. So let's set a date....Perhaps Thursday, August 7? So how about a potluck picnic or something? Let me know...we're excited!!!

~Jasmene

#7 ·
Hey, guys -

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread in a while.

I had a suggestion. My hubby and I met some of our friends at Washington Park the other night for pizza/beer and to let the kidlets run around. It was really nice.

We met at the "other" playground (for those of you who are familiar with the park), the one back by the tennis courts. That one is usually less crowded and has nice big picnic tables around it. Maybe we could meet there one day. We could all bring our own lunch and talk!

Any time is good for us, except this week. Monica I know you're going out of town so maybe we could wait until you're back.

Let me know!

#8 ·
Sounds good to me - if you guys want to go ahead and meet up while I'm gone, by all means do it! If not, let's schedule it for an afternoon after August 10th (when we get back).

If you guys want to decide on a date and time, I'll go through some of the old threads and PM a bunch of people. . .

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.