Breastfeeding in Thunder Bay Ontario - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 08-23-2007, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was recently visiting family in Thunder Bay and had a run-in with a security guard at the Thunder Bay airport regarding breast-feeding. I ended up with a parking ticket over it.

My brother was flying in for my grandfather's funeral and I was charged with picking him up at the airport. We pulled in and I ran in to check the flight board and his flight was running late. DH was driving and had done a loop around the parking lot while I ran in. When I got back, DD was having a meltdown and I knew it was because she was hungry so I asked DH to find a place to park. He pulled into the first available parking spot and I unbuckled DD and started to nurse her. A woman came and knocked on the truck window and said "You can't park here.", in a rather snotty tone. DH responded that we would move in a few minutes and she declared that she was contacting security because we were parked in a spot reserved for rental cars. A few minutes later the security guard came scurrying out and told us to move. DH told him that we would move as soon as DD was done nursing. The SG then said he didn't care what we were doing, we had to move now or get a ticket and towed. DH repeated his stance and reminded the SG that it is illegal to tow a car with someone in it. THEN the SG called the police!! saying that we were refusing to move our vehicle. Um, no, we're breastfeeding a baby and will move in a few minutes when she is done, the world will not come to an end in that time. He had some rather rude things to say about us and slapped a parking ticket under our windsheild wiper and then stood glaring at us until we finished (a total of 6 minutes from the start of the altercation). We then circled the lot a few more times until my brother was ready to go and drove off. The OPP never did show up.

So, is it just me or does anyone else think that it was a little uncalled for to order me to leave, to stop feeding my baby, to give me a parking ticket and to call the cops all because I was stopped in a reserved spot because it was the first available spot and my 3 month old baby was freaking out?

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page