Mothering Forum banner

Ok Y'all - tell me about Greenville/ Spartanburg SC and Charlotte NC

376 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Merriconeag 
#1 ·
These are two possible cities we could be relocating to within the next 6 mo- 1 year. I know NOTHING about these cities.

Can anyone answer a few questions?

We area Waldorf, homeschooling families and I NEED to know if there are strong homeschooling communities -- especially Waldorf communities in these cities.

Are there crunchy pockets at all?

I know there's no Whole Foods or Trader Joes - is there anywhere like that to shop?

Thanks!!

#2 ·
There is a Whole Foods in Greenville, also Earth Fare (hfs I used to work at) and Garner's which is a locally owned HFS-my first choice, but too far of a drive for me.

Homeschooling is pretty big in this area, I think. It's very easy to homeschool here. Just join a homeschool association. I live in Spartanburg and a lot of families at my church homeschool (Unitarian). We have a small AP playgroup that meets either once a week or every other week consisting of a few mamas that met here and some from Spartanburg's LLL.

This area is really not all that crunchy, but there are a few pockets. Greenville has some great restaurants and the downtown is very cool. Spartanburg is like a little brother/sister to Greenville-we are trying real hard to catch up. Actually our local grocery stores have pretty decent organic sections. Both Greenville and Spartanburg have farmer's markets.

If have any more specific questions, let me know!!

#3 ·
For the most part, G'ville and S'burg aren't very crunchy... but you just have to meet the right people
and you'll be fine!

Homeschooling is definitely big here, like Earthymama said. I am not sure if there is a big emphasis on the Waldorf method of learning, though.

Please, come on and move! We'd love to have more friends come join our playgroup!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessSC View Post
For the most part, G'ville and S'burg aren't very crunchy... but you just have to meet the right people
and you'll be fine!

Homeschooling is definitely big here, like Earthymama said. I am not sure if there is a big emphasis on the Waldorf method of learning, though.

Please, come on and move! We'd love to have more friends come join our playgroup!
Woo hoo! Thanks for the invite!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.