Starting a Bellingham Thread - Mothering Forums

#1 of 93 Old 09-29-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am knew to Bellingham and am looking to connect with other mamas practicing natural family living. I know that there is a Yahoo natural family living group for Bellingham, but I think it would be great to have a thread on MDC too. Is there anyone out there who is interested? I have a 9 month old boy and I have so much I'd love to talk to other mamas about!
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 93 Old 09-29-2007, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mary, just today I visited two friends who live in Bham and one of them is new to the area. I think she would like to meet up with other mamas. She has a 14 month old DS.

If you want to PM me your email address I can pass it along to her!
#3 of 93 Old 09-29-2007, 04:21 PM

I lived in the B'ham area for 8 years. I don't live there now, but I know quite a bit about the area.

Let me know if you have any questions about the city or surrounding areas (like where to find something)

Congrats on your pregnancy!

#4 of 93 Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 AM

Hi Mary - I'm the mama that mamamilkers was talking about. We just moved here from San Jose, CA in mid August. My husband is sort of from here as his family landed here when he was in HS and they've never left the area.

You've heard about the Yahoo Group (that I'm in as well) though you want to start a thread here too. I think that's cool though sometimes it's hard to keep up with things in too many places. When MDC shut down our DDC a bunch of us moved to another forum - sometimes it's just easier when there are lots of things to chat about so you don't lose your threads.

Anyway, what would you like to chat about? What part of Bellingham are you in? We're close to the cemetery off of Lakeway on the way to the, um, lake.
#5 of 93 Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

We are in the Columbia neighborhood near Elizabeth Park. How old is your son?

I don't have any specific things I want to talk about at the moment. I just have questions that come from time to time that I'd like to talk to other moms about. Not everyone I meet is into natural family living so I am just looking for some locals who are. I like MDC because there are no membership requirements and it has worked well for me when I have lived in other locations.

It seems like I should be able to remember some of the things I wanted to ask about, but I guess I am just too tired!

I think one thing is that I am looking for a Bellingham N.D. Another thing was probably related to introducing solids. My almost 10 month old is still only breastfed - I have tried a few solids but he is not intersted. Oh yeah - one more thing - I am wondering what others do when they just need a break from there kid. Is there anyone else without family to help? Who do they get to watch their kid? I am just having such a hard time with the concept of leaving my kid with someone else. But I really need a break now and then!

Anyway, that's all. I'm just looking for people to chat with, share support, etc.

Mary
#6 of 93 Old 10-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Lucas is 13 months old - it's hard to believe sometimes. I was just changing hi into his pjs tonight on the changing pad and was noticing his legs hanging off of the end.

About other local mamas into NFL - I don't know any that are not on the yahoo list. Talk about a mass exodus from MDC I am sure there are others but if you're really looking to meet local moms that group is probably your best bet. There are weekly meetings that just started (the next one is on Tuesday afternoon) and some random events. There are often conversations about local activities and recommendations. Personally, I wish that there wasn't a requirement to go to a meeting to join the email list though it's not my group so....

There was a large conversation on that list about NDs recently and there were a lot of recommendations. We just started seeing one in Lynden, as it's the one my MIL sees and she seemed like a good fit, especially considering her specialties in adrenal and thyroid stuff (what I wanted to see a naturapath for).

As far as solids, it was slow going with my son as well (we started offering around 7 months or so and let him self feed) and just in recent months have things really taken off. I think the key is to keep offering and if he's not interested well he's not interested! What solids have you tried?

You know we just moved to the area and now I actually have family in the area, but we still don't leave him with anyone. We're living with my MIL while we get some things fixed in our house (we used to rent it out and it was trashed) and she's only been alone with him for maybe 2 or 3 times and for not very long. Really I get my alone time during naps, when he's asleep and short times during day when DH isn't working.

I've heard that some mamas have hired WWU students through the financial aid office. Some mamas get a neighbor kid or friend's kid to watch and I'm sure some do a babysitting share, though I don't know of any in this group that do a share.

I've also found that playgroups provide some of that break time. I'm still on duty but my son has other kid and toys he can amuse himself with so it usually works out. Unless we're at a playground as he likes to put rocks and bark and ? into his mouth at nearly every opportunity. But it's still more fun to be there with another mama than by myself!

Personally I'm just not ready to leave my son with people who are not family. And even not with some family.
#7 of 93 Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

hey mamas,

i am in bellingham visiting friends for a little while. what a great town this is! my fam just went on a walk to trader joe's and the park. there are four parks within walking distance of my friend's house. fabulous area.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#8 of 93 Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 PM

Welcome to Bellingham Gunter! Isn't beautiful, isn't it? The weather has been especially nice these past few days. There are a ton of parks in Bellingham. I'm still looking for one that is more friendly for the crawling/just toddling set but since the weather is turning it might not matter anyway.

While you're here you'll have to go visit one of the many local farms and of course my new favorite place in town, Mallard Ice Cream in downtown. It is beyond fabulous! Mallard does microbatches of ice cream and ices using natural and organic ingredients. They often use local fruits and ingredients. So yummy. Last week they had an amazing chocolate coconut ice (made with coconut cream so it's dairy free and oh so creamy) and a nectarine plum ice. Both were heavenly and I bought two of each to stock up as their flavors (there are some 300 or so total) change often.
#9 of 93 Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
About other local mamas into NFL - I don't know any that are not on the yahoo list. Talk about a mass exodus from MDC I am sure there are others but if you're really looking to meet local moms that group is probably your best bet. There are weekly meetings that just started (the next one is on Tuesday afternoon) and some random events. There are often conversations about local activities and recommendations. Personally, I wish that there wasn't a requirement to go to a meeting to join the email list though it's not my group so....
So then, how does one go about finding out about the meet-ups to join the group? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question - but I would go to Bellingham sometimes, but I can't ever seem to find anything going on.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#10 of 93 Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCsMom View Post
So then, how does one go about finding out about the meet-ups to join the group? Sorry if this sounds like a silly question - but I would go to Bellingham sometimes, but I can't ever seem to find anything going on.
Just sent you a PM.

I was re-reading my posts above and I'm definitely not opposed to chatting away in a thread here. Really what I was thinking about at the time is that I didn't KNOW anyone else as I'm new myself. Just because there are mamas that have left doesn't mean that there aren't mamas who want/need to join them or who don't want to build a community here.
#11 of 93 Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM

I just joined the thread, so happy to find it!!! I am a new mama with a 3 month old. I am fairly new to b'ham with no family in town. I live on J street and would love to get a group together so we all don't go mad this winter. Also I have a great ND if you want her name let me know. I am new to this type of communication and have only one hand to work with.
How are you adjusting to this lovely town?
#12 of 93 Old 10-29-2007, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Bellingham Mamas! It is so glad to know that there are a few of you still out there on MDC. I am finding it is hard to get on-line with my little boy. He is VERY busy! And by the time he goes to bed at night I am too tired! And, even furthermore, we are all on a big road trip which is probably going to last a couple more weeks. But, it is so good to hear from you.

I still don't know if the NFL group is right for me. I've joined a differemt play group and that has a good cross section of people including at least a couple who are following dr. sears, etc. so I am feeling good about that. but, it is good to have you here on-line for those more opportunistic moments when I have burning questions.

I guess the thing that is on my mind right now is "night weaning". My little boy "nurses" all night long. ( I put nursing in qoutes because it is more like he is using me as a pacifier. At least that is what it seems like to me.) Some times I just want him OFF of me. It can make me pretty irritable! One friend has recommended the book "the no cry sleep solution" so I think I will check that out when I get back from my road trip.

The road trip in and of itself has been pretty trying with a 10 month old. NOne of our friends' houses have been baby proofed and it may have just been easier to stay home! But, we are having fun and I am sure the challenges will just make Bellingham look all the more sweeter when we get back!

Hope you are all well!
#13 of 93 Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

This thread needs a bump. I'm surprised there aren't more Bellingham mamas!!!
#14 of 93 Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM

I'm a B'ham mama...although new to the Mothering board. I am an unschooling mama to a 15 yo daughter, 9.5 yo son, and have a new little one due in May I have just recently (last week) moved from Columbia neighborhood out to Sudden Valley...Also deep in the throes of hyperemesis, so not having much fun living on IV fluids

Dana
#15 of 93 Old 11-06-2007, 03:36 AM

Hi,
I live in Abbotsford, BC, Canada and went to Bellingham last week for shopping. I checked out Trader Joe and farmer's market. I loved Farmer's market. It seems like a small town, but the market there is so much better than here. It seems very crunchy. I got organic milk and chicken for half what I pay in Canada.
I really like the look of the town too. next time I would like to check out downtown shops. Do you know of any organic store? I'm particularly interested in buying a big bag of organic rice and makeup stuff. Any place that sells SIGG bottles?

I'm also looking for a farm where I can buy hormone free meat or milk inexpensively from. Thanks so much.
#16 of 93 Old 11-06-2007, 03:50 AM

Hey, Sora!

I'm one of the vendors at the farmers market, so I'm so glad you liked it! I sell coffee--Guadalupe's Coffee Roaster--that I roast at home. Well, usually I do, but I'm busy puking right now, so my kind ex-husband is helping me out

Did you find Terra Organica, Barganica and the Co-op? They are all within about 6 or 8 blocks downtown. The co-op has a great deli, lots of selection, but the prices are a little higher than terra organica, which has less selection but great prices overall, and all produce is 25% on Sundays! Barganica is on State Street, and it is like a scratch and dent store of just healthy and organic stuff, so it's all super cheap! They also have the best and cheapest beer and wine selection in town

Ask me any more questions you like! I usually make it across the border at least once a month, too

Dana
Unschooling mama to Lauren, 15, Otto, 9.5, and new little one due in May!
#17 of 93 Old 11-06-2007, 02:52 PM

#18 of 93 Old 11-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Hey mama's I am still on here once in awhile mostly at the trading post getting all the wool I need for the new babe - she is 2 weeks old!
Nice to see some new mama on here.
Dana I have talked to about hs'ing on other yahoo groups.
I also live in Sudden Valley - Gate 5 - Welcome to the big trees!!
What gate do you live in? There are some awesome parks and trails around here that you great for exploring. My 3.5 year old and I take many daytime adventures around here - Now though were home finding our new rhythm with our new babe.
And mama's it's much easier to touch base with other NFL mama's as we meet every Tuesday at BUF.

Take care
Amanda
#19 of 93 Old 11-06-2007, 08:10 PM

What is BUF? Can anyone come?

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#20 of 93 Old 11-07-2007, 01:17 PM

bellingham unitarian fellowship (buf)

check out the yahoo link, request to join, and you will get more info
#21 of 93 Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM

Hi Mamas - checking in on Mothering.

mamavanholmes - Welcome! I'm from CA so all of this rain is a little different for me, especially this early in the year. Once we get settled into our house (still living at MILs while we have some things fixed/replaced) I'd love to have some mamas over for some informal play time every once in a while. Hopefully we'll be in about two weeks!

Mary - I'm glad you're finding a group that you're happy with. I hear you about traveling - we just got back from a two week trip back to CA to visit some friends and family. We're actually going on a short 3 day trip next week to Las Vegas for our anniversary. Random for us, but cheap and warm.

About nightweaning - the NCSS isn't really about it, more about helping to sleep through the night (kind of a difference). I found some of the techniques helpful. I'm pretty sure that the library has it as they have the toddler edition. This book wasn't the silver bullet for us but it helped us create a nighttime routine, be more aware of limiting later night stimuli and most importantly for us, helped me prioritize naps and we were able to lengthen his naps from 45 minutes or less to over an hour to sometimes two hours. We started used Jay Gordon's method about 6 weeks ago and until our trip (where we both were really sick) we were able to make it work. While relatively gentle, it was still a lot of work for DH and I and also hard to do the final step. We felt night weaning in particular was important as we're TTC and I'd developed insomnia due to the sleep deprivation to add along with the low energy level

Sora - The community Co-Op in downtown is probably your best bet. I know that they carry organic rice from Lundberg Farms in the bulk bins along with smaller bags. Don't know about large quantities though. The co-op also has a decent sized body section, including make-up. They might also carry Sigg bottles. REI definitely does. As for local farms for meat and milk, here is a link to the local farm guide. There are a ton of farms in the area. You can find paper copies at places like the co-op though as it's getting late in the year they might be out. I keep one in my car so if I happen to be out in farm country I can see what is around. I haven't been out there yet but I buy raw milk from Pleasant Valley Dairy in Ferndale. Dana mentioned Barganica - there is a Barganica inside with the Terra Organica as well. I've found their prices cheaper than the co-op, though with terra organica it depends on the item (for example my milk is more 30 cents more expensive there though my local eggs are 20 cents less). Sometimes they have different selections of stuff that I can't find elsewhere (my son and I are gluten and dairy free - except the raw milk for me as I'm not ready to give up morning cereal).

Dana - what do you sell at the farmer's market? Amazingly I haven't been out there yet.
#22 of 93 Old 11-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hoffman View Post
Hey, Sora!

I'm one of the vendors at the farmers market, so I'm so glad you liked it! I sell coffee--Guadalupe's Coffee Roaster--that I roast at home. Well, usually I do, but I'm busy puking right now, so my kind ex-husband is helping me out

Did you find Terra Organica, Barganica and the Co-op? They are all within about 6 or 8 blocks downtown. The co-op has a great deli, lots of selection, but the prices are a little higher than terra organica, which has less selection but great prices overall, and all produce is 25% on Sundays! Barganica is on State Street, and it is like a scratch and dent store of just healthy and organic stuff, so it's all super cheap! They also have the best and cheapest beer and wine selection in town

Ask me any more questions you like! I usually make it across the border at least once a month, too

Dana
You roast your own coffee? How awesome!!! What a cool career! I'll have to stop by next time I'm in the area and pick some up.

I'm really stoked and wanted to share, I have an interview at the Bellingham Birth Center with the midwives next week. I called them about meeting with the midwives because I'd love for them to refer to me when clients need a doula. I knew it would be an iffy move (I had left a message), and they called me back and I get to meet with all of them! I'm so excited. I'm trying to think of all of the things I should talk about with them Wish me luck!
#23 of 93 Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's_mommy View Post
You roast your own coffee? How awesome!!! What a cool career! I'll have to stop by next time I'm in the area and pick some up.

I'm really stoked and wanted to share, I have an interview at the Bellingham Birth Center with the midwives next week. I called them about meeting with the midwives because I'd love for them to refer to me when clients need a doula. I knew it would be an iffy move (I had left a message), and they called me back and I get to meet with all of them! I'm so excited. I'm trying to think of all of the things I should talk about with them Wish me luck!
Wow - I can't believe I missed the part about the coffee roasting. I think I actually read it but I was multitasking and wrote the post over a period of an hour or so.

That's exciting news about the interview. Are you in the Bellingham area then? Your location says Seattle...
#24 of 93 Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 PM

Yes, I am a coffee-roasting goddess--and it is a WONDERFUL career, except for when one has hyperemesis and vomits whenever one smells coffee! LOL Hopefully I will be back to my wonderful career in a month or two, but for now my helpful ex-husband is roasting, and my helpful fiance is delivering, and I'm laying in bed--YAY! :P

Dana (the pathetic!)
#25 of 93 Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
Wow - I can't believe I missed the part about the coffee roasting. I think I actually read it but I was multitasking and wrote the post over a period of an hour or so.

That's exciting news about the interview. Are you in the Bellingham area then? Your location says Seattle...
I"m actually in Mount Vernon, a moderator changed my location a long time ago and I've just never changed it back

Thank you :
#26 of 93 Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hoffman View Post
Yes, I am a coffee-roasting goddess--and it is a WONDERFUL career, except for when one has hyperemesis and vomits whenever one smells coffee! LOL Hopefully I will be back to my wonderful career in a month or two, but for now my helpful ex-husband is roasting, and my helpful fiance is delivering, and I'm laying in bed--YAY! :P

Dana (the pathetic!)
I love coffee to death, but it was the same when I was pregnant with Eli. Couldn't stand to smell it!!! You poor thing!
#27 of 93 Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Hello ladies,
I saw the info. on craig's list last night. I was so excited to hear that there are local ladies like me. We live out on northwest. We have relocated here after a year or so on the mission field. We are originally from the Ohio/Michigan area. Still trying to get used to all the rain.
I have a 10 year old and a 9 year old that I homeschool. I also have a 4 year old and a 6 month old.
I forget who has the interview with the birthcenter but I hope it goes well for you. MY wee one was born there. Catriona and Christine were my midwives. It is a wonderful facility. A very nice compromise between having a homebirth and having a hospital birth. Anyway, Good Luck!
#28 of 93 Old 11-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitimom View Post
Hello ladies,
I saw the info. on craig's list last night.
What info?
#29 of 93 Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm very intrigued by raw milk. Is it legal in US? It is illegal in Canada. Can you buy raw milk in a store? I would love to go back to Bellingham for shopping.
Thanks everyone for info.

Is there also a nice park for children near downtown?

Dana, I will check your coffee out next time I come over! I didn't have any US money to buy coffee last time.
#30 of 93 Old 11-09-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
I'm very intrigued by raw milk. Is it legal in US? It is illegal in Canada. Can you buy raw milk in a store? I would love to go back to Bellingham for shopping.
Thanks everyone for info.

Is there also a nice park for children near downtown?
Yes, you can buy milk at the co-op and Terra Organica from Pleasant Valley Dairy. The co-op also sells another brand of raw milk that I haven't tried (it's about $.75 more if I recall). Raw milk is so much cheaper here than in CA. The cheapest we could get it (without committing to an ongoing buying co-op) was $8 for a 1/2 gallon. I just wish I could get it in a glass bottle. I know that there is a local farm in Bow that does goats milk in glass (mason jars I think). It's a drive but if we decide to introduce milk to Lucas we may go that route as we think it's the casein he is sensitive to. They don't have milk though for a few months out of the year though.

As far as parks - I'm still trying to find once I really like. My son is 14 months and is walking though most of the parks seem geared for kids a bit older. Cornwall Park (at the Squalicum light) is just off Meridian (close to Bellis Fair) is easy to get to and not too far from downtown. There is a play structure, swings, etc. and in summer a water park. Closer to downtown there is a small little playground (a tiny ship) in Boulevard Park that I wouldn't go out of my way for but I've walked there a few times from the downtown area of Ferndale.

Hopefully others can suggest other parks close to downtown that might be good.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page