Any gardeners in TX? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious about what types of fruits/veggies you can grow in Texas. Also, how many months out of the year can you grow? We're considering moving and I would like a very "garden friendly" state.

Thank you!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#2 of 3 Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Texas is a very garden friendly state!

A lot depends on what part of Texas you move. In South Texas, I can grow citrus (lemons, limes, oranges). I have had fig trees, peach trees, pear trees, plum trees, pomegranite trees. There are only a couple of months that are cold, no snow (or maybe once every few years) in South Texas. I have avacado trees but they don't fruit. That is one thing I think we cannot grow here. Oh and I have had banana trees that kind of make bananas but not fully. I have grown tomatoes, tomatillos, okra, squash, zuchinni, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, onions, lettuce, watermelons, peas, green beans, all kind of peppers, potatoes. I have had large herb gardens and have even grown interesting herbs that are used in Vietnemese food, can't remember the name but like cilantro with stickers, and you can grow herbs year round. I always have chives, orgeano, basil, and rosemary growing. You can plant early because frost ends early, and it freezes late. This week I went swimming and my A/C is on 72 right now. It was very hot today, haven't felt fall yet. I have citrus in planters on my porch, rosemary grows like shrubs here, basil is just starting to flower, chives and peppers on my porch, too.

It freezes during the night occasionally during winter months, but comes back above freezing in the morning. Seems like January and February are the cold months. 2 years ago I went to the river on Christmas and wore a tank top. Last year we went hiking on Christmas and wore a jacket. North Texas/Dallas area gets colder though. Last year we did have a couple of days that froze and stayed freezing for like 2 days but that is rare.

North Texas is different, but still OK for gardening for sure.

Harvest has passed and our garden at my family home is done for the year. It was a very wet summer so this season was a little different, and last season was a drought. Main garden done, container garden still going with herbs and peppers.
#3 of 3 Old 10-14-2007, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We started a garden this past Spring. We planted beans, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, corn, and cucumbers. Everything turned out great except the corn and carrots. We did have an extra wet season though. Right now we are growing okra, squash, and pumpkins.

I can't wait to start again next year. It is so much fun to come home from work and see the changes in the garden from the day.
Good luck!

And I am in the DFW area BTW!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page