Good Holy Cross/ Shady Grove OB's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doing some research for a friend. Can anyone here recommend an OB (or practice) who delivers at Holy Cross or Shady Grove in Maryland, who is very very pro-normal birth? Would love to hear if you have had any great experiences, and maybe some of the details about why the doc was so great (ie, didn't induce, encouraged movement, encouraged alternative pushing positions, didn't consider c/s even under difficult circumstances, etc.) Thanks for any info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 AM

Hi,
I worked as Rn on L&D at holy cross, wouldn't recommend having a baby there ever. I can't think of a single doc open to alt positions or any natural type of choices. sorry. Maybe at Shady Grove. Hope so, for your friend's sake. Otherwise, I recommend they travel to find a good midwife or stay at home and find a good midwife!

Midwife and mama to Arden Phoenix (12/31/06) and Fian Rune (12/5/09)
#3 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

: The lack of birth options around here really drives me batty! Ugh!

Hopefully there will be someone who had at least a semi-decent experience with a semi-decent doctor. Hopefully!

(edited to add -- ain't no way this mama is going to go for an out-of-hospital birth, no matter what I say.)
#4 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM

If there is no way she'd consider an OOH birth, then my best recommendation would be for the former Maternity Center midwives, who practice at Shady Grove Hosp. 301-530-3300.
#5 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 PM

I had an unmedicated VBAC with Simmonds & Simmonds in 2003. They were very supportive of that.

However, I just had a c/s with the same practice due to baby being breech. (There's really only one doctor in the area - and he's in N. VA - willing to attend a breech). They did give me lots of time to allow baby to turn and didn't insist I schedule c/s early.

One con is that it is a large practice and you may see the person who ends up delivering your baby only once or twice.

Edited to say they deliver at Shady Grove.
#6 of 11 Old 10-24-2007, 11:01 PM

since your friend wants a natural birth - if you can't convince her to see a midwife or go to a birthing center etc... I really like Dr. Travers. (I forget what his group is called off hand) he's the most natural friendly OB I know. and a VERY nice person in general. very gentle and kind and I've never heard a negative thing about him. (I've worked with him a handfull of times)

but again... natural "normal" births are *a lot* easier out of the hospital.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#7 of 11 Old 10-31-2007, 04:27 PM

I started off my recent pregnancy seeing Dr Travers (his practice is Capital Women's care) but ditched them for a midwifery/birth center practice more than 1/2 way through. Partly because I couldn't stand their staff, partly because the OBs were impossible to actually get ahold of to ask questions, and partly because I ended up spending 5+ hrs in l&d triage at HC due to mid-pregnancy bleeding and those few hours were enough to send me running. (think freezing, overworked nurses, people screaming instructions to each other up and down the hallway, a resident who not only prided herself on giving me an internal so painful it caused a serious contraction but also complained about being there, etc). Our first son (carried and birthed by my partner, not me) was born there by CS because of pre-e, but even with my familiarity with the hospital I couldn't deal with it.

That said, Dr Travers is a great, gentle guy and most of the OBs in his practice are good, so if you have to go with HC and have to go with an OB they arent bad. They also just expanded their hours, so it may be easier to get appointments and/or talk to the docs.
#8 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm seeing Dr. Travers's office of Capital Women's Care this pregnancy, and I've been pretty happy. My first baby was with a midwife, so I feel more confident to insist on doing things my way, which is a big help (DH insists on hospital, and SG midwives don't work for me b/c of schedule and insurance). I know I've called at least a half dozen times to talk to a doctor about something (half the time it was for my sister's pregnancy!) and I was always called back pretty promptly. They're really good at following up on test results and so far they seem pretty natural birth friendly.

Oh, and 7:30 am appointments can't be beat.

ETA: I'm seeing Dr. Travers on HennyPenny's recommendation...
#9 of 11 Old 11-18-2007, 11:13 PM

I was really pleased with the OB who delivered my baby at HC, Heather Sine. I am sure that 90% of OBs would have had me in for a c-section but she really gave me the time I needed and eventually let me try pushing even though I never dilated all the way (must have been enough, though, because my babe was born!).

The thing is that she is with Capital Women's Care and there's no way to know that you would get her instead of one of the other docs, some of whom are great and others of whom are right there with the scalpel for any of a number of different uses! So I can't really say that I recommend going with that practice. But if your friend did choose it, Dr. Sine is excellent.
#10 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 PM

The lack of options in this area upsets me. We had my son at Holy Cross but I absolutely agree with the pp who said that Holy Cross is not pro natural birth at all! They're all about c-sections. : It's a shame though because the facilities at Holy Cross are amazing.
#11 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 PM

I also like the practice Dr. Travers is part of. Dr. Levitt has been my gynecologist for almost 15 years, and I've always been happy with him. My most recent birth was attended by Dr. Berger-Weiss, who was totally supportive of my birthing choices. For example, she:

1) Told me over the phone I sounded way too cheerful to need to come to the hospital. I told her I agreed, I just felt like I ought to call in since my labor pattern met the guidelines.

2) When I called back a few hours later, when I thought I really did need to go to the hospital, she said I still sounded too cheerful. I told her that was likely to persist until transition (it did), so we agreed it was time for me to come in. (It was)

3) Told the nurses I didn't need an IV, didn't need continuous monitoring, etc. without me even having to ask her to. We had discussed it in the office, but I had expected to have to advocate for myself more.

4) Was totally fine with whatever I wanted to do during labor, such as sit on a birthing ball, walk around, etc. In the food department, they are fine with drinking and sucking on hard candy, though they wouldn't want you to eat anything more. Since that was the limit of what I would have wanted to do during hard labor anyway, that was fine with me.

5) Did not suggest pain medication of any kind.

6) When it turned out that the amniotic fluid had a fair amount of meconium in it, she went against the hospital's standard procedures and did not recommend continuous monitoring.

I preferred to deliver the baby lying on my back, so I don't know what would have happened if I'd wanted to use some other position. Lying on my back was by far the most comfortable position for me to be in at that point, and the last part of my labor went very quickly, so there was no need to try alternative positions to move things along.

Dr. Berger-Weiss did recommend an episiotomy just as the head was coming out, because I was tearing in the direction of the urethra and she felt that could cause complications for me. I consented to the episiotomy, and the upward tearing stopped. I actually found the recovery from the episiotomy to be considerably easier than the recovery from the natural tear of similar length/location I had with my first birth.

I birth easily; as Dr. Levitt once told me, "you could deliver in the middle of Montgomery Mall without any problems," so I have no experience with how this practice would deal with a more difficult birth.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that they were willing to let the pregnancy go to 42 weeks before inducing labor, but wouldn't have been OK past that. My first child came at 41w0d, and no one had ever mentioned induction to me. With my son, they really wanted to induce at 41w4d, which I wound up consenting to based on my own reading of recent research. Luckily, I wound up going into labor on my own and he was delivered at 41w3d.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page