Mothering Forum banner

NYC doula?

940 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  steph117 
#1 ·
I have just interviewed Haya Brant and Natashia Fuksman. I like them both but they are so different. So, i wanted some feedback from you wise mommas who have used either one as your doula. I would love to here your experiences.

Also, if you have any other recommendations of rockin' doulas, please pass on the info!

Thanks so much!

Diana

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post
I have just interviewed Haya Brant and Natashia Fuksman. I like them both but they are so different. So, i wanted some feedback from you wise mommas who have used either one as your doula. I would love to here your experiences.

Also, if you have any other recommendations of rockin' doulas, please pass on the info!

Thanks so much!

Diana

I am a doula as well
so feel free to contact me!! But, I used Haya and I loved her, she was such a comfort to me during my long labor, and I just felt very comfortable with her, when I met her I knew immediately that we would use her. Hope that helps!

#4 ·
I used Haya as a postpartum doula and cannot say enough good things about her. She has a ton of information and a very calm demeanor, and I really don't think our son would be as wonderful and easygoing (nor would we) without Haya. My son is three and a half months old and I still rely on the advice she gave me every day. I'd be happy to act as a very supportive reference for her, so please feel free to contact me directly.

Jordan Bastien
jgutcher@yahoo.com

#5 ·
Haya is part of a mother-daughter team (see clearbirth.com). Haya focuses on being a labor doula, and her mother Ina focuses on post partum. Haya also does babywearing fittings, and EC workshops. They are both really spectacular.

I took a homebirth class with Natashia. I don't know if I would personally feel comfortable with her as my doula. We just aren't really compatible. But I am sure she would be ideal for a lot of people.

I am trying to put my finger on what it is about her that doesn't work for me. I am the kind of person who doesn't have a lot of words to talk about spiritual things or emotional things. I have those components, but they are private to me. When I interact with other people, I keep those things out of it, and stick to the straightforward and practical. Natashia is much more existing in the spiritual and emotional elements, and it makes me uncomfortable to exist in that element while interacting with others.

My mother was a great doula for me because she is like me in this way. Also, we aren't close at all (though we have a very positive relationship with absolutely zero issues) so I didn't have to worry about her having trouble dealing with my suffering (I wouldn't let DH be there for that reason). My MW was pressuring me to hire Haya because she didn't trust me that my mother wasn't going to fall apart. My mother's philosophy about the whole thing: the only way to stop the pain is to give birth, so that is what we have to work towards. And I felt really safe knowing that there was someone so practical and calm under pressure overseeing things for me. I could trust her judgment when I wasn't so sure of my own. I didn't need much help to labor, but I liked knowing that every other concern that arose would be taken care of.

So, Diana, you should really think about what makes you feel most comfortable. That is different for everybody.

Also, would you be at a hospital, birthcenter, or at home? If I was at a hospital, I would want a professional doula to help fend off medicalization. They know what to expect. They know what to ask you in advance so they are prepared to protect your wishes.

#6 ·
Thank you for your responses

Leigh, I will be having a HBAC and I just spoke to my midwife and suggested interviewing a few more doulas so I guess I'll do that although i didn't want to (too many overwhelm me)

Natasha and haya were so different for me. I connected with Natasha immediately and felt very comfortable, like she would make a great friend. Haya seemed to be more guarded but had so much nitty gritty information about the logistics of her work. So, I'm struggling with if I go with someone I connect better with on a personal level or go with a more stand offish approach. I don't know. I'll keep interviewing I guess

#7 ·
I used Haya as well and absolutely love her. I am quite picky when it comes to care providers, and I highly recommed her.

I think I know what you mean when you say you felt that Haya was 'guarded'.... She doesn't come across as overly emotional.... But when I 1st met her I trusted that she had the presence to be there in the capacity that I antcipated needing. And in my experience, she has been authentic and strong and trustworthy and genuinely caring.
She was there for my birth, and then the following week, she visited us twice in the hospital when my babe had to be hospitalized for four days. She even stayed during part of the night at the hospital to care for my babe, so my husband and I could get a bit of sleep.
I'm still in contact with her (three months after my babe's birth) and we actually met at the playground a couple of weeks ago to hang out/catch up....

I could go on and on about how much I respect and adore Haya, but I'm too tired to write more....

#13 ·
So Lolafanana, did you pick anyone yet? Have you interviewed many more people? I hope you find someone you really love.

We actually just hired Haya! I get what you mean about her being more guarded - that threw me at first - but we were with her for about an hour for the interview and by the end, we felt really comfortable with her. It feels like she'd hold the space really well for us. Plus, we're planning to babywear & EC, & she's an incredible resource for that! (& we love that she's great at taking photos too, since I won't let my hubby do it at the birth
) And I really appreciated what people wrote about her on here.

We didn't interview any other doulas. Part of me wanted to meet with more people but something was telling me to hire her & not complicate things - I think I just needed to feel SET. So, that's what we did.
I hope you are set now too!

#14 ·
If you can believe it we still have settled yet. We are interviewing 1 more doula that I met on MDC and we'll see. I want to decide by Friday so that I can feel set. I am starting to fele a bit anxious and need to feel secure about this at least. I'll update when we decide

Diana

Steph- I just saw your blog- we are due 3 days apart although I feel like I'll give birth at the very end of February- oh and I've gained 25 pounds so I'm right behind you!

#16 ·
Hi Diana, if you're due 3 days apart from me, don't hire Haya!
: (Or, at least make sure that you don't give birth on the same day as me, or make sure that you go into labor after I do...)
Our midwife is also working someone else who's due within 3 days of me. I know due dates usually don't mean anything but...hey, that's part of the game, right? :p

It sounds like you're done interviewing at this point, but if you're still not feeling 100% about anyone, you might look into the Childbirth Acupuncture team - combining doula work with acupuncture. I went for acupuncture last night with one of them, Claudia Citkovitz - I'd hire her as a doula in a millisecond; she's so warm & lovely, & one of the most calming people I've ever been around. Both times I've seen her, I've felt relaxed immediately. (But she doesn't work as a doula on her own, only as part of the whole package thing, & I didn't want the acupuncture package.)

Diva Mama: Cool! When are you due? We're going to take Haya's EC class soon as a starter, & then grill her endlessly after that

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.