non-vax friendly ped in San Antonio - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh and i have to move to San Antonio 4 weeks after my due date. : crazy, i know. i'd like to have our ped lined up before we move. does anyone know of a non-vax friendly ped? is he/she good with breastfeeding? thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM

my son's pedi is OK with it. HE doesn't necessarily agree, but if you say you don't want to vac..."at least right now," then he doesn't make a fuse over it. His name is Dr. Michael Ozer 614-2500. I didn't vaccinate my 2nd son and stopped vaccinating my first at 18 months due to a HORRIBLE reaction that, In my opinion, was the tipping point for him and now he has autism. SO there was NO WAY in h@ll I was going to go that route. He also, just so you know, has others in his practice that will make a fuse about vacs, but not to the point where they won't take your child as a patient. I just always try to make appointments with him though. There is also another doctor named Dr. Cohen who is an MD and a homeopath. When my kids are sick, I try to take them to see him, but he doen not accept insurance and costs $75 a pop. The initial visit is $150. I like having both as an option. When my son was having multiple ear infections, I would take him to Cohen. When it is something "jsut to be on the safe side," I take him to Ozer.
Hope this helps.

Heather
#3 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 04:22 PM

my son's pedi is OK with it. HE doesn't necessarily agree, but if you say you don't want to vac..."at least right now," then he doesn't make a fuse over it. His name is Dr. Michael Ozer 614-2500. I didn't vaccinate my 2nd son and stopped vaccinating my first at 18 months due to a HORRIBLE reaction that, In my opinion, was the tipping point for him and now he has autism. SO there was NO WAY in h@ll I was going to go that route. He also, just so you know, has others in his practice that will make a fuse about vacs, but not to the point where they won't take your child as a patient. I just always try to make appointments with him though. There is also another doctor named Dr. Cohen who is an MD and a homeopath. When my kids are sick, I try to take them to see him, but he doen not accept insurance and costs $75 a pop. The initial visit is $150. I like having both as an option. When my son was having multiple ear infections, I would take him to Cohen. When it is something "jsut to be on the safe side," I take him to Ozer.
Hope this helps.

Heather
#4 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Welcome to San Antonio when you get here!!!! I also want to welcome you to the local San Antonio Attachment Parenting group. We also have a message board forum similar to this one with just the San Antonio area moms.

Here is a recent post for this same question:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=798354

I love my pedi and she is great with extended breastfeeding, delayed/selective/no vax, co-sleeping...etc. I received a ton of recommendations from everyone (including lactation consultants, etc.) for her. She accepts almost every form of insurance. There is also another doctor and a nurse practioner in her office...both very nice. Here is her info:

Diane McMains, MD
14811 San Pedro Ave
San Antonio, TX 78232
(210) 494-7758

Another doctor that is highly recommended by many of my API friends is:

Dr. Jennifer Reynard
San Antonio Pediatric Associates
525 Oak Centre Dr, Suite 400
San Antonio, TX; 78258
210-495-3947

She is right in the Stone Oak area....she is an Attachment Parenting mom of 2 little girls. She babywears and extends breastfeeds (and she is just fine with no/delay/selective vax). Many of the moms in my API group see Jennifer. She also posts on our API San Antonio message board too, so it is nice to have someone with her qualifications on our board.

My daughter will be two in February and we still haven't vaxed yet. Dr. McMains is just fine with that. There are many of the moms in my API group that no/select/delay vax, so we are a great resources for everything vaccine related too (this is an off-topic area for chatting on our message board). Check out our message board if you like now, so you can meet some local moms before you move here. It is nice to start networking now so it won't be so much of a shock when you get here. See the weblink below in my siggie.

Again, welcome to SA.

Stephanie - Co-Leader of API San Antonio
Mommy to DD (4 years) and DS (18 months)
#5 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Hope this helps.

Heather
#6 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM

sorry for posting the same post 3 times...my computer was on the fritz and I didn't think it posted.

Heather
#7 of 9 Old 12-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden5577 View Post
sorry for posting the same post 3 times...my computer was on the fritz and I didn't think it posted.

Heather
No problem...you can just "edit" your post and delete the text on the duplicates.

Stephanie - Co-Leader of API San Antonio
Mommy to DD (4 years) and DS (18 months)
#8 of 9 Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help mamas!
#9 of 9 Old 12-09-2007, 09:28 PM

I go to Diane McMains; no one gave us the evil eye for not vaxing though I did sign an amended AAP refusal form (crossed out the bad bits). I brought my ds in for the second time after 2years and 13mo home birthed dd in for the first time, and know one said anything about that either.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page