Mothering Forum banner

Unlicensed midwife in NW Arkansas

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  katimae@eritter.ne 
#1 ·
I just found out I am pregnant!!!!

This is my first baby in Arkansas and I can't wrap my head around the idea that I have to have a doctors permission to deliver at home.

Does anyone know any unlicensed midwives close to Rogers (since I had to go over two hours for my last midwife, close is a relative term
)?

I was also wondering about an average cost. My last midwife was $1900, is it going to be similar here?

Thanks for your help,

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi and congrats! I am in need of NW Ark unlicensed info too. I used a licensed mw last time and it was a waste of money, she was pretty much worthless, that cost me $2000, average around here is 2-3000. I am due in June with #2, how about you? Are you a member of the NWANaturalparenting yahoo group? I know a girl named Cassidy on there had an unlic midwife and I've been meaning to get her info but havn't yet. I have been going unassisted so far, havn't been to a doc or anything, but my husband isn't comfortable with doing an unassisted birth. Well, let me know how it goes and if you find out anything
Marie

#5 ·
I am due in August, I still haven't found anyone, but I have heard of one in Huntsville. I am trying to find her number.

I have heard she is less then $1000. That is good because after talking to three liscensed midwifes that were all around $3000, I was beginning to think I was going to have to go to the hospital so my insurance would pay.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
I just found out I am pregnant!!!!

This is my first baby in Arkansas and I can't wrap my head around the idea that I have to have a doctors permission to deliver at home.

Does anyone know any unlicensed midwives close to Rogers (since I had to go over two hours for my last midwife, close is a relative term
)?

I was also wondering about an average cost. My last midwife was $1900, is it going to be similar here?

Thanks for your help,

You are in Rogers? I am in Bentonville and just had a baby in October with an amazing licensed Midwife. Just curious, why do you want an unlicensed Midwife? I had a waterbirth at home and it was an amazing experience. The fees were $1,700 for the delivery and $35 for each prenatal which were at my Midwife's home. Let me know if your interested and I can give you her name. I know another Midwife in Fayetteville too!
Oh, you need to go to this website:

http://www.born-nwa.org/

If you have any questions please feel free to ask! Good luck to all NW Arkansas Mommys-to-be

#7 ·
Hello,

I live in North Central Arkansas and have a midwife based in Harrison. I'm due any day now
with our first!!!

What I've learned is most of these women know eachother so if you contact one they can often lead you to someone who may be closer to you.

My midwife is Candy Clarke. Her number is 870-420-3514. She's wonderful! She does homebirths and also has a birthing cabin near Harrison. She works as far west as the Greenforest area. There's another midwife in the Huntsville areas, Nancy. Candy can direct you to her.

I would also recommend contacting Beckii Bogachoff at the Berryville Birth Center 870-553-2731. I've heard good things about her and again she can direct you to someone in your area. Beckii was the director of education at the AR midwife school that was in Fayetteville.

As far as costs go, Candy costs 1500 total and that includes her assistant. We usually see her atleast an hour each visit and there has been absolutely no pressure with paying her.

Good luck and let me know if I can help with anything else. Welcome to arkansas.....

peace, Katie

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.