Advertisement

#2 of 354 Old 12-21-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apmommato3 View Post
hey mama's,
Any advice on what to do with new growth? I mean in some spots I have like an inch and a half of straight hair close to my scalp..which wouldn't bother me, except...it is getting all out of control, causing my locks to attract each other and matt up...especially on the back of my head where I sleep on it... Any of you had this experience before?
Happy Holidays to you all!
Ok This happened with me and i was all worried. i found that once i stopped trying to make them loc, it happened. i was~ looping them through at the scalp. But, that really makes them look like Braids and i was disapointed with that look. At times you could look bald in places and it can make things REally tight on your scalp.. THat one tugging OUCH in a place you cannot get to or change...
So... i know where you're at. i'm almost at a Year with my head totally separated and dreading.
Let it happen, if you cannot wait it out and you start doing odd stuff it will look like it. And the history grows out for all to see.
i have growth at the roots and it will soon become knotted with palm rolling and time. i truly can't believe i've come this far. It's a BIG Change from my Very Straight, Shiney, Strawberry blond Head.

Moonprysm: It's all up to your habits and time... Stay positive, it's Never perfect, They're just yours. Sticking it out is the part we all admire when we see a Mature head of Dreads.

Buddhamom: i'd say wash when you're all Greasy. That would just invite stinkies and oil build-up if you didn't. Keeping your head healthy and fresh is important for your root health. i only wash them when i'm feeling like you are. You know when you're dirty. And i do not Condition, i use Coconut oil to nourish them from time to time... otherwise you've got Breakage..NO!!!! i love to Freshen with peppermint oil, Lavender, Tea Tree, Lemongrass and Tangerine. just depends on my mood! like choosing a perfume!
my .02

Peace~*
#3 of 354 Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 PM

I am just so afraid that if i wash them they will come out. I am not going to use conditioner, I am just going to use the Knotty Boy shampoo and their itchy spray if need be. I hope using the nylons will help hold them together. I am not using wax at all either. I do have the knotty boy lock gel though. Anyone else have only a few? I only got 16 out of my whole head because my hair is so thin. Not sure what that will look like over time.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#4 of 354 Old 12-21-2007, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mine are now 6 weeks new. I'm learning patience, oh the patience. I too want to constantly mess with my hair to accelerate the tightening and the knotting. But, I make myself leave it alone!

We have a local goat farm that makes delicious soaps. I'm using their sandalwood scented soap to wash my hair. There is just enough goat's milk in it to moisturize my hair without loosening the locks and it smells heavenly. I used to have very oily hair that I had to wash every other day to keep it from looking like a grease-pot. But, since I dreaded, I only wash once or twice a week, and my hair isn't greasy at all! I love how dreading caused me to allow my hair to regulate itself-something I probably couldn't have done otherwise.
#5 of 354 Old 12-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Subbing. Gotta have DH take some up-to-date pics soon. Almost 4 months already!!!

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#6 of 354 Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM

I have always gone the au naturale root, just letting nature take its course. I really don't do much but wash, separate, and moisturize. It takes time, but that's what I think a major part of letting your hair lock up is all about, as others have said, patience. That's JUST ME though! And I have some of my own spiritual beliefs behind that school of thought. I have not brushed my hair for seven months and have some very short, tight locs, and some loose hair as well. I have done this a few times before though, and looking back at pictures(not on the computer, or I would show them to you!), it takes the same course every time. Eventually it is all locked up. This usually happens for me after about three years. That seems to be the point where I have long, established tight locs. So, you see, it takes time. A mighty oak tree does not grow tall in one season! Just love em up and watch them grow! Locs come naturally if you let them!
#7 of 354 Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 AM

buddhamom - if i recall correctly, when i was locking up i was showering about once a week and dh would roll my hair when i'd get out and they were still wet. seemed to work out alright for us. i also have never really "washed" the individual locks. i just put some shampoo in my palms and scrub it into my scalp. and 9 years later they are clean, never smell, and seem to be doing just fine .

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#8 of 354 Old 12-23-2007, 02:12 AM

and happy winter solstice!!!
we made a yule log at the restaurant tonight and had guests who were interested write out their new year intentions and put them on the yule log that we burned at the end of the evening...if you have to work you'd might as well make a celebration out of it :!

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#9 of 354 Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Hi mamas!
I have been away a while. I cut my last set a few months ago and am so unhappy without my dreads.
I had the same issues as w/ the first set. taking forever to dry, weight, not feeling free to swim etc b/c of that...my scalp skin bugs out-gets terrible pimples,follicle issues(and I have tried all the oils/and treatments My husband is still knotty and I guess I will have to live vicariously.

I am jealous every day when I play with his
So I will have to be a wannabe around here.

I look fwd to reconnecting w/ you guys and admiring yours from afar.
Love,
jen
#10 of 354 Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
and happy winter solstice!!!
we made a yule log at the restaurant tonight and had guests who were interested write out their new year intentions and put them on the yule log that we burned at the end of the evening...if you have to work you'd might as well make a celebration out of it :!
Congrats on your Restaurant:!
What a Fun activity.: i LOve THat...
:
Bright Happy Thoughts for YOu and Your Blossoming Family!
#11 of 354 Old 12-23-2007, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
what!? a dread tribe! sign me up! I've been knotty for over a year now and i love them!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#12 of 354 Old 12-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Happy winter, mamas!

I've not checked in, but I'm still here! Observing the end of month 7... : Wool is such a friend right now!
#13 of 354 Old 12-24-2007, 11:17 PM

Almost a year old
#14 of 354 Old 12-29-2007, 01:02 AM

Just checking in after the holiday(s)...Peace, thanks for the support! I just wondered if there was something particular I should be doing with the new growth, but I guess patience is key. I'll just keep ripping and rolling after every washing.
Ladies, my hair really looks nuts after washing...so fuzzy and crazy! It takes like 3 days or so for it to look great again and then it's almost time to wash it. H-a-h-a! Such a cycle, huh? We love it though, don't we? I really do love my locks, I just feel like I am in such a rush to help them along and be doing all the right things...I mean, no one likes to run around town looking crazy, right?!?
We're all learning and growing so much. I really do thrive on all this togetherness! Thanks Mamas!
I need to post some newer pics of these 5 month old locks...soon.....
Happy New Year to all my nappy headed mama friends!
#15 of 354 Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM

still checking in with you mamas...
still pondering the WHEN in my future knotwork...

i asked dh today if he would help me start them, he thinks i should wait until i deliver so that i won't be disturbed by new dread woes AND be hormonal;
i say do it now so that they are a couple months on their way by delivery day...
what do you all think?

This has been such a long process... and here i am still without nary a knot.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#16 of 354 Old 12-30-2007, 02:12 AM

i don't know if you guys have been over this but knotty boy from Vancouver makes a locktight gel that is amazing for keeping flyaways at bay! I'm in love with it.

Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#17 of 354 Old 12-30-2007, 08:57 AM

I too love the locking gel. After I wash DH palm rolls then when they are dry he palm rolls the locking gel on them and they get nice and stiff.

Question, my locs are getting thinner, is this normal? It sort of stinks because I only had enough hair for 16 to begin with.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#18 of 354 Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

New one here! I currently only have one semi-loc on the underneath just from neglect, but plan on separating (basing off the natural one...) and getting them officially started soon. I dont plan on being too forceful with them, but my hair needs some help. It hasnt been brushed or conditioned in several months, and I still only have the one. And it is just some knotty hair towards the root but still loose ends from about half way down. Stupid silky hair, ugh! How do you all feel about the knotty boy tightening gel? Someone is sending me a nearly full one, and I was wondering what the general feeling is! Yay!! I cannot wait to get these locs started for real!

Marissa wife to Michael
mommy to Lorien 10/17/07 and Cyprian 6/5/10
#19 of 354 Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post
Question, my locs are getting thinner, is this normal? It sort of stinks because I only had enough hair for 16 to begin with.
It would make sense that they would get thinner because they are probably tightening up. You will probably sprout other new ones after a while too, I would imagine. Like where the hair in between will break a bit and form another. Just a guess though!
#20 of 354 Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

Hey ladies ~Have a great 2008!
Buddhamom- my bff had about 20 locs when I had 60 (my first set). Her's were sooo nice and fat, like over an inch wide after they matured. I bet you'll have the same luck.

I second the coconut oil. I have to use it pretty often, as the salt water dries my locs up. One of mine actually broke in half a few months ago because it got too dry & brittle.

Woohoo to a new knotty year!
#21 of 354 Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 PM

Happy Notty Year, indeed!!!

Haven't ever tried the locking gell myself, but isn't one of the main ingrediants aloe? I have used straight aloe, but haven't for awhile... should probably do that sometime soon.

I think my dreads got skinnier as they were locking up... but heck, you be the judge! I just posted a pictoral of my "year in dread locks" over at my livejournal, if anyone's interested
#22 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi mommas. I just thought I'd introduce myself even though I am not dready right now and haven't been for quite a while, but the thought of starting them back up has popped into my head lately. I have board-straight hair, so I got lots of whispies and wasn't very patient. I "cheated" and started them out by sectioning off my hair and matting it up with a tiny flea comb and palm rolling. They looked pretty good for a while, but then started loosening up at the ends and didn't look good unless I had a hat on or put them in a pony tail. One day, I just felt like my scalp couldn't breathe and I felt "trapped", so I shaved my head. Plus, my cats at the time had contracted fleas and I found one on my neck and I was so paranoid about them nesting in my head. Silly, I know. I sort of wish I would've stuck it out a while. I think I may have kept them, had I resisted that crazy passing urge to shave them off.

dreads

shaved

Okay, anyway - just wanted to post instead of silently lurk. I like reading about mommas who choose dreads...and why and how. alexisyael - loved the "year in dreads" pics. Very cool to see the progression. If I decide to commit to knots again, it will be nice to have some inspiration - seeing other mommas patiently undergoing a hair transformation and being okay with how it looks during the process. kudos to you, dready mommies!
#23 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoKirk View Post
How do you all feel about the knotty boy tightening gel? Someone is sending me a nearly full one, and I was wondering what the general feeling is! Yay!! I cannot wait to get these locs started for real!
eh, i well luke-warm about the gel to start dreads. for established dreads they are amazing but to start? i have put some of that in my sisters hair then backcombed. that seemed to help. but in my experience, you're going to do lots of backcombing. i had to do it three or four seperate times waiting for knotty growth to come in. after the knotty stuff grows to a decent legnth i cut the whispy stuff off with a razor and palmrolled the ends into nice blunt ends. if you look really close the hair is folded up on it's self. ill post picks of my knotts.

#24 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM

my dreads

the end of an established one

a crappy feathery one

half-way rolled

and we're done!

i rolled that one sitting at my desk. it will need to be rolled again in a week or so but eventually he will be ok on his own.

DH and I at our handfasting! a better pic of the dreads.

#25 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM

The pic of you and your dh is beautiful. Nice locks
#26 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM

Greetings!
Glad to see some other dreaddie mamas here. I noticed a question about using products to get your dreads going.
This is the second time in my life I have done dreads. The first time I "made" them and used a beeswax based salve to hold them together. I cut them off because they itched (maybe from product build-up?) and I felt like they weren't natural.
The second time, I waited until my hair was long, down to my waist, and just simply stopped brushing. (this was one year ago) I have straight hair. I thought my hair would never dread on its own, but surprisingly enough, in just a couple short months they were locking up on their own. I pulled them apart into separate dreads and washed with diluted Dr. Bronners tea tree liquid soap, once or twice a week. Now it is a year later and my dreads are fully formed, in unique and interesing shapes, each one different from the others. They are now just past my shoulders and I am very happy with them, even though they are not "perfect", as if they were done in a salon. They feel clean and healthy, and I didn't do a thing.
My husband started his dreads 6 years ago while living in the backcountry. He just let them go and nature took its course. He has beautiful dreads, down to his bum.
I am not saying there is a right or wrong way to "do dreads" I am just saying that you can have beautiful dreads by just letting go of the way you want them to be and just let your hair go and do its things. Natural dreads stick together by the "glue" of your hairs natural oils and skin flakes, you don't "need" a product or a fancy comb to make it happen. Granted, they may come faster if you help them along, but its not necessary.
My favorite stage of dreads was the soft forming stage, getting to watch them evolve!
Again, no judgement here, just another way of doing things.
Much Love!
#27 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM

Kriket, awesome pics!!

Kewpie-o, your's were cute baby dreads How long is your hair now?

The funniest thing about my year of dreads pictures is that I think my favorite picture is the one of my dreads in June -- with the ends loose. But I LOVE how they look now that the ends are rolled up (I did nearly the same thing kriket did, I think, tho I didn't cut anything off). But that picture -- taken by my friend, who is a professional photographer, is just so beautiful...

Which I think is sort of my take on the journey -- where you are, is beautiful. The beginning looks cRaZy, but it is still beautiful, in its own way. And there is no end, really, so the rest is just the journey...

gentleearthmama
#28 of 354 Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM

I agree your june picture is beautiful. I also really like the december picture with your child in the sling!
I love mothering!
Hey wow!
Bellydance, yoga, me too.......................
:
#29 of 354 Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks! The December picture was taken while we were visiting my dad in Texas -- that's me and the toddler watching flamingos fighting (hence my worried/ freaked out expression - what are they doing THAT for???) at the Dallas Aquarium. He's in an Ellaroo Mei Hip carrier -- there was another toddler mama there, carrying her kid in the playtex hip carrier -- we totally did the "cool baby wearing mamas" togetherness thing It was awesome! (We also had a borrowed stroller with us, so the toddler could eat snacks while we went around -- which he did -- and so I could carry stuff with us.)

Are you on the bellydance mamas tribe yet? We're kinda inactive, but we're cool peeps

(I suppose there is a yoga mom tribe, but I haven't joined yet... should probably find them!)

Dreads need to be washed today, but it is SO COLD outside, I totally don't want to get my head wet! I will probably wait til tomorrow, when it is supposed to warm up...
#30 of 354 Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Talk me down ladies!!!!!

Psst - don't tell anyone BUT I am seriously considering chopping off my locks. They are almost a year old and are finally at the stage where someone can look at my head and think 'oh, shes' going for dreads' rather than 'get thyself a fucking hairbrush' for the past 10 months or so. I have absolutely loved the journey. I adore them. They are all different and have character and very ME. However, when I pull apart a lock and peer inside I am distraught at what I see. Nothing too funky, just dust/lint? but I don't want that on my head. I don't know.......
On a good note, they have shrunk up from shoulder blade length to just above my shoulders with a years growth in there. I have only about 33 or so (they multiply on their own.....) and they are lovely little fatties with flecks of grey. And lint. Other than that they are wonderfully clean and a joy!
On a side note re washing - I have been experimenting with shampoo bars and concocted a bar with a high percentage of lanolin. Works wonders for conditioning while washing, saying that I have only used it a handful of times so far so it really remains to be seen.

Loving the pics. Very cool.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page