Introducing myself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I'm not a mama quite yet (we're due with #1 in August), but I thought I'd join anyway and start getting to know my landgenoten.

I'm Megan, 25 years old, married to my Dutch DH, Rick. I'm originally from Texas and moved to the Netherlands about 4 years ago to be with my DH. We live in Heerhugowaard, which is located about 45 minutes north of Amsterdam. I'm currently finishing up a Master's in Translation Studies at the Universiteit Utrecht and will be starting a job in Amsterdam as a Dutch->English translator in January.

I mostly love life here in the Netherlands (apart from the crappy weather) and feel 100% integrated into Dutch society. I actually don't have any expat or native English-speaking friends here, which I want to change since I want our little one(s) to be familiar with and proud of both sides of their heritage. We're planning on raising our kids bilingually, starting out with the OPOL approach and maybe switching to all English at home once they're old enough to go to school. We're lucky enough to live across the street from a "bilingual" elementary school (the scare quotes are because they don't give equal time to English and Dutch, especially in the younger grades, but at least the kids will have some formal exposure to written English outside of what I provide at home).

I'm also really lucky in that my midwife happens to be one of my best friends. She's really crunchy (actually even more so than I am in some respects) and is super enthusiastic about my choice to have a home water birth.

My DH are luckily on the same page about most things, including breastfeeding, cosleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing, gentle discipline, organic food, going tv-free, etc. We still have some discussing to do about vaxing though... DH prefers to vax, and I just keep going back and forth. We'll at least be doing selective/delayed vaxes, but we definitely need to research this a lot better.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to all my fellow expats, as well as any native Dutch members among us. Looking forward to getting to know you all and to hearing about your Dutch parenting experiences!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-24-2007, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Megan, van harte welkom! Gefeliciteerd met je zwangerschap!

I'm Mercy, (American) married to Robert (Dutch) and living in Voorhout, right outside of Leiden. Rob has some family in Heerhugowaard. We just moved back to NL after living in the States for 7 years.

The first time we lived here, from 1998-2000, I had no contact with any non-Dutch people in NL. This time, I'm on MDC, and ended up having a neighbor who is Swedish-American. So I do have some English-speaking contacts, but most of the people in our lives are Dutch.

We've got Lily who's 7.5, Jack who's 4.5, and Ruby, who's 8 wks. We're homeschoolers, and are enjoying our contacts with other hs families in NL. I'm going to hop over to your other thread now-- Welcome to MDC!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page