NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part III - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I thought I had a talented dog! She can open the fridge. : But, I think yours gets the medal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

How is it that egg whites are an allergen? I admit, I don't much about this subject as I grew out of the one food allergy I had (yellow vegetables, like yellow wax beans, would cause me to break out in a rash, though no longer). I wasn't planning on giving honey or nuts for a long time, but what else should I be looking out for?
straight up milk is the other big one. not before 12 mos. also chocolate they say not before 18 mos. some say citrus or some berries not until 12 mos. the only other big concern is stuff like popcorn = choking hazards. the LLL breastfeeding book is an excellent resource on these things (better, i think, than on the actual nursing).
#273 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt View Post
Teo gets scrambled eggs, not that he eats a bunch of 'em, but I offer
He also gets yogurt. Although, I have realized how much sugar is in yogurt (from the store) so I'm reading labels. i found one brand that doesn't have sugar, everything else does. oh well. the 1 time i gave him darigold? he was up so late, just wired!

Everyone's babies are getting so big!! crawling... eating... reading
Quinn's yogurt is the best! Organic, grass-fed, whole, raw, unsweetend, unflavored, and straight from the farm made by an Amish lady! That's as good as it gets in my book. We are really working on introducing Quinn to sour flavors so he doesn't grow up with the modern (industrialized) affinity for sweet and little else. I have found I love plain yogurt and the flavored stuff tastes sickeningly sweet to me. Ocassionally I will pit a tiny dab of maple syrup in it, but not often.
#274 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 PM

I used to love plain yogurt as a kid. Maybe I should give it another try. I too would rather not give too much sweet stuff to Punkin. I want him to like lots of different flavors.
At least he already like water!! Just gotta keep up with that.
#275 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM

I like plain yogurt in cereal instead of milk. YUMM!!!

oh.. I think the AAP changed it's stance on when to start foods/allergen foods. I read a blurb about that someplace recently.
#276 of 1986 Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM

yes dh fwded me that. not sure if it was a proposed or enacted change. the article said that the research doesn't support delaying much vis-a-vis later allergies. mostly that there is no connection between what bf'ing or prego mamas eat and later allergies. we are still a little nervous bc of dd's digestive issues.
#277 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 12:19 AM

re: plain yogurt

it is so funny what the "average" american eater thinks about yogurt. I mentioned to my aunt that Quinn eats yogurt, and she said "what flavor?", and I said "no flavor, just plain" and she said "good old vanilla". I think some people think yogurt and ice cream come from vanilla cows or something!!
#278 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 12:52 AM

i was recently ordering milk in a restaurant and the server asked, "Chocolate or vanilla?" (!)

shanna, i think mccain is scarier than huckabee. dh and i debate this. i think that the business elite will never get behind huckabee so he can't be that dangerous because that is the engine of the GOP. dh thinks that mccain would be better for the country, although worse for the election, because he is less xenophobic. i think that we don't want a mccain vs. hillary match-up. (not that i am sure hillary is getting the nom, i just think that combo's the worst case scenario for the dems.)
#279 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM

mccain makes dd cry. let's hope he doesn't win, or it could be noisy and unpleasant in my house for a long time.
#280 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 01:16 AM

I'm thinking of getting a woven wrap. I've been wanting one since Punkin was born. I think I *might* be ready to shell out that much $$ now. So, which one would you get? I already have a Sleeping Baby Productions ring sling made from a Didymos. I know it's wonderful. I don't know whether to stick with what I know (for feel, at least) or go with something different.
#281 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 AM

I am so very ready to meet this baby. Long ways to go yet. Blargh.

That is all. Return to your ordinary conversations.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#282 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Don't worry, Sara. Time will start to fly before you know it!

So, um...OMG. diaperswappers.com is like the coolest thing ever. I just spent almost 3 hours on it.

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#283 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBear View Post
I'm thinking of getting a woven wrap. I've been wanting one since Punkin was born. I think I *might* be ready to shell out that much $$ now. So, which one would you get? I already have a Sleeping Baby Productions ring sling made from a Didymos. I know it's wonderful. I don't know whether to stick with what I know (for feel, at least) or go with something different.

Becca - Have you tried a baby wearing group to see if they have one you can try? I can't remember exactly wear you live but maybe this one is close. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southsoundbabywearing/

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#284 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
We are really working on introducing Quinn to sour flavors so he doesn't grow up with the modern (industrialized) affinity for sweet and little else. I have found I love plain yogurt and the flavored stuff tastes sickeningly sweet to me. Ocassionally I will pit a tiny dab of maple syrup in it, but not often.
This is exactly how I feel. When Dd thinks of yogurt, I want her to think of plain yogurt. My dream for her is that when she finally tastes candy (many years down the road hopefully) that she doesn't like it because it will just be too sweet. I can dream, can't I?

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#285 of 1986 Old 01-20-2008, 11:52 PM

#286 of 1986 Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 AM

lucerne yogurt has some new flavours out... green tea, plus other added to the Green Tea... Pomagranate (plus others added...) The green tea wasn't so bad. And sugar wasn't added. I mean not to say there wasn't sweeteners, just not sugar.
#287 of 1986 Old 01-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Where do you find such yogurts? I never see them....

Come ponder with me about food!
#288 of 1986 Old 01-21-2008, 05:09 PM

safeway
#289 of 1986 Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM

please send good vibes that i love the family daycare i'm seeing tomorrow!!
#290 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 02:40 AM

Good Luck
#291 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 03:07 AM

dd has been waking a lot today. i hope it's related to learning to crawl and it's not, as i suspect, gas. or if it is gas i hope it's not because of the indian food i ate last night.

in other news, the post-partum hair loss is happening. how long did yours last?
#292 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
please send good vibes that i love the family daycare i'm seeing tomorrow!!
:

I hope it goes well and that you and DD both love it!
I'm also for it to be in your price range!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#293 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 AM

Not a good night last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
dd has been waking a lot today. i hope it's related to learning to crawl and it's not, as i suspect, gas. or if it is gas i hope it's not because of the indian food i ate last night.

in other news, the post-partum hair loss is happening. how long did yours last?
Fenton thrashed quite a bit in the night when he hit the crawling stage. He also started thrashing a lot during nursing around the same time. I've heard the same from other mamas. On pp hair loss, I'm not sure how long mine lasted.....maybe a couple of months? It was obnoxious, and to this day I worry about all the hair in our carpets (vacuum has a hard time picking it all up) winding around an appendage of his and cutting off circulation. I've always lost a lot of hair normally anyway, pg was the only time I didn't. Seriously considerring a shorter hair cut, especially as DS thinks it's hilarious to whine until I put him in the carrier, start yanking my hair, and then cackle like a madman when I tell him NO. I think I'm slowly going crazy this week.......He's eating electrical chord, gotta go.......

Helping to start a Birth Network chapter today!!!!!!!
#294 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

my belly changed--we can see the change as of yesterday, particularly when i do mula and uddiyana bandha. i've noticed that the energy movement in the second and third chakras has slowed down (thankfully, i don't feel "nervous" anymore), but the energy of mula bandha is more "heavy" and the place below the bellyis more rounded than before.

so, we're psyched about that.

also, we started our purging early and thank krishna! we got the yoga room cleared out nicely, and now we are going to do the office. we've decided to make that into a guest room with Opie's two twin beds and her vanity in between on one wall, and then a dresser as well.

we're expecting our friend to visit us in July, and decide then whether or not she wants to live with us come october when she gets a specific blessing from her capoiera master (that she can teach Cap. here as well as yoga!). We'll give her this room, and then she'll have her own space.

then, we'll move onto our room, whenever my mother is ready to give us the furnishings that she can't use. we commissioned some art for ryan's script (a prod. co is interested, but they specifically asked for "conceptual art.") and it's beautiful. one of the three paintings is so stunning (and not violent--i mean, one is literally a battle scene, and another is an escape from a fire), that we're definitely going to use it in our room.

oh man, i feel very lucky today!
#295 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM

shanna, deep breaths.
#296 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 03:46 PM

PiePie, I hope this daycare is what you're looking for!

Shanna, I'm sure today will go better!

Zoe, capoiera is so much fun to watch! That should be a great addition to yoga. And hooray for rounded bellies

Come ponder with me about food!
#297 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
re: plain yogurt

it is so funny what the "average" american eater thinks about yogurt. I mentioned to my aunt that Quinn eats yogurt, and she said "what flavor?", and I said "no flavor, just plain" and she said "good old vanilla". I think some people think yogurt and ice cream come from vanilla cows or something!!
This cracks me up too. I have really come to love plain, whole milk yogurt, by itself or with a little honey or maple syrup. Interestingly, though, I didn’t really like the raw yogurt from the dairy farm I go to. I also think it’s funny that so many people mix up ‘plain’ with ‘vanilla’. Real, good vanilla is anything but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
So, um...OMG. diaperswappers.com is like the coolest thing ever. I just spent almost 3 hours on it.
Isn’t it? I could waste a whole lotta time on there.

Piepie, I hope the daycare visit went well.

Zoebird, glad to hear about the positive things happening. A round belly is a very exciting thing indeed!

Well, we had the first shower on Sunday. It went very well. I was pretty nervous before it started, but then I relaxed a bit. I actually got a few things off the registry, and some good ones at that. Other than that, we got a lot of gift cards, which will come in handy.

So, um, if you received something you didn’t ask for – like a baby einstein exersaucer – would you keep it, or try to return it and put the $ toward something you could use? People were very generous to us, and I appreciate that….I’m just not sure if I want this enormous hunk of plastic, covered in an overwhelming amount of distracting toys, sitting around waiting to see if we might use it. And then to figure out what to do with the Baby Einstein dvds that came with it…..

Oh, yeah, and I’m kinda pissed. I had my 30 week appt today – it seems the lab totally screwed up my glucose screening sample and now I have to do it again. I am not happy about that.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#298 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

personally, i would return it or pass it on to charity.

i already told my MIL and my mother that anything purchased that we didn't want would be returned or donated to charity. my MIL considers that a "waste of money" and my mother is cool with it, but wants to buy things for this baby.

thankfully, this has put a complete halt on any purchases. my mother and my MIL have not purchased a thing, and they're waiting (not patiently) for my specific list.

i did tell my mother and my MIL that if they buy something not on the list, but that fits the parameters, then we'll keep it, and that if they know it's not on the list but they still want to buy it, they can have it at their own home, when the baby visits (like baby einstein stuff).
#299 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM

depending on who gave it to us I'd return it.
The only v-tech/learning whatever plastic battery operated toys we got were 1. from MIL (can't return it) and 2. my sister (can't return it) Besides DH took both out of the package almost right away so we can't anyway.

Most of our friends actually pay attention to me when i talk about wooden toys or how much I don't like the loud plastic ones.
#300 of 1986 Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Yeah, this was from MIL's aunt and cousins; people we never see, so returning it probably wouldn't be a big deal. (And I did notice the shipping label on the side, so I'm guessing it might be easy enough to return). I guess I was mostly uneasy about what my own reaction must have been; while their five year old boys were there, very excited about the gift they were giving to this new baby. And that DH might not be happy about returning it. But on the other hand, he isn't fond of clutter either. So we'll see.

Most people were pretty cool about stuff. We got a few funny (to me) questions, like "You're 'going green', right?" But we got some nice toys and 'mainstream organic' clothes and stuff.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page