looking for midwife or birth center in columbia/lycoming county - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i live in this little tiny town (benton) in columbia county, and can not seem to find any kind of prenatal care that i am happy with around this area. i am expecting my 3rd, and i really wanted to go as natural as possible this time but it seems that is not the norm at all around here. Right now, i go to Geisinger medical center in danville (montour county) , but even their midwives seem very mainstream and not what i am looking for. I would love a homebirth, but dont want to do an UC and i am having an awful time finding a midwife that would assist. Someone i called told me the closest birth center was almost 2 hrs away :

Williamsport is about 40 min from me, Wilkes barre is almost an hour, and Bloomsburg is about 20 min....so anything in/around any of those areas would prob work fine as far as distance. (i already travel 45 min, and would have to go that far to deliver in a hospital anyway)

thanks for any help you can give me on this mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

:
Old 12-27-2007, 04:52 PM

Try contacting the doulas at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tristate_doula_connection
There are people on the list who can probably give you some direction. You can also try posting to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nepabirth and the homebirth midwives in that group may be able to help you.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:15 PM

hi there. amazing to meet someone from benton! i don't live there now, but i grew up there, and lived there untill a little over 4 years ago. we come up all the time to visit the il's. how long have you lived there? we might even know each other. lol

anyway, i had both my kids at geisinger, first birth was awful awful. with my dd they had just finished the women's wing and it was sooo much better. i was seeing the midwives there, and elaine(not sure if she's still there?) delivered dd. it was a really nice natural birth. you're right in that they are a bit more mainstream than i would have liked too, they have to follow all the hospital procedures, but imo it's the best option around.

however, if you know what you want, and don't want, and discuss it ahead of time, they are pretty adaptable. i refused pretty much everything and had to sign tons of waivers, and had dr's comming in telling me my dd could die and all that, but if you know where you stand and don't let that bother you, it's not too bad. that was all after the birth though(just hospital stuff), the actual birth was great. i hate to go for a birth expierence that's just "not too bad", but when the other options are awful.... ya know.... ugh. stinks, but that's the area we live in!

i haven't looked into anything in williamsport, so you may find something up that way you're more comfortable with? not sure.

don't come to wilkes barre. lol that's where i am now, i'm also expecting my third(in july ), and the options here are not good. i'm shooting for a home birth too, but dh is not comfortable with the idea(yet! i'm working on him!), so i may end up at one of the crappy hospitals up here. there aren't any midwives in this imeadiate area either. i think there is one an hour south and an hour north of me.

i have no idea if there are any home birth midwives who would be within driving distance of benton. i'd scope out the danville/williamsport areas, maybe. you're right in that there are no birth centers anywhere around here. i'm so sad about that. i just wish there were more options.

i'm hoping that at least if i end up in the hospital i can go as natural as possible and do a little educating in the process. lol

let me know if you want to chat more.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

wow that is SUPER wierd to find someone from benton! this town has like a population of like 8 LOL I actually grew up here too. i moved away after i graduated, and just moved back last year. What year did you graduate?

The more i research this , the more frustrated i am getting. There is just NOTHING around here. I cant even find a midwife who will do a homebirth. : i did find a birth center, called dove something or other, it says it is 43 miles away, in a town called Leraysville, but i have never heard of it so i will have to google it and see how far it really is.

I am not really impressed with geisinger so far, but my dr does seem semi flexible so i guess we' ll see. At my next visit on monday i plan on laying it out for them, as far as what i dont want, and a lot will depend on her reaction.

what are the rooms like at geisinger? a few people told me that the new part is much less "hospital" looking then it used to be, and that they have improved since they did that...but ...to me, its still a hospital kwim? i dont think my dh really cares for the idea of a homebirth, but he knows that this will really be my decision in the end, and i am sure he would support me (eventually).

i am still in shock you are from benton! that is just so groovy to know i am not the ONLY crunchy mama around here LOL
Old 12-29-2007, 12:51 AM

both my husband and i graduated in 99. "class couple" i guess it worked out! lol i only came back to high school in 96 though, i was homeschooled before that. i'm trying to wrack my brain if i know of any amy's but i'm not comming up with any....

i'm sorry things are frustrating. i know how that feels!! i go in for my first visit on monday too. it's at geisinger south wilkes barre, which is like my last choice, and i'll probably transfer somewhere else, but it will be interesting to see how it is up here.

geisinger rooms are pretty nice. they are labor/delivery/recovery rooms, and you room in with the baby all the time. they have a lot of good bfing support there too. even if you don't need it, it's nice that they don't automatically assume you're formula feeding!

i'll have to think of more, it was almost 5 years ago that she was born. lol
Old 12-29-2007, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

i graduated in 95, but my sister brandy graduated in 99 i think. I saw pics of your kids on an other post, and they look JUST like this gril named angel who was really skinny and had long blonde hair. Was that you????????? Did you ahve a bunch of brothers and sisters? the angel i am thinking of was homeschooled too!! i am dying to know if i am thinking of the right person or not! were you into horses?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexysmommy View Post
i graduated in 95, but my sister brandy graduated in 99 i think. I saw pics of your kids on an other post, and they look JUST like this gril named angel who was really skinny and had long blonde hair. Was that you????????? Did you ahve a bunch of brothers and sisters? the angel i am thinking of was homeschooled too!! i am dying to know if i am thinking of the right person or not! were you into horses?

oh yes, i grautated with brandy!! how is she doing, btw. not too many angel's, so yep, that's probably me you're thinking of. only one brother(younger) and sister(3yrs older). i don't think i ever had long blonde hair though. my sister april did, she was only in school briefly in 7th and 8th grades(then homeschooled through graduation). maybe there was another angel? dunno. we were into horses too. and yes, my kids look just like me. lol so now i'm curious, how do you know me? lol
Old 12-29-2007, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

oops double post
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

ahhh thats it! its your sister i am thinking of! i remember her very fondly from school. even though she wasnt there long. she was in my class, the years that she was there. Brandy is doing very well. She is engaged, just bought a house, and is a nurse! Wow what a small world. I remember you and your brother, but really only by looks i dont think we ever actually talked or anything. HOw is April doing? It is awesome to have met a local mama on here! \

oh, and i am curious, who did you marry??
Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 AM

wow, how cool. i'll have to ask april if she remembers you. she's doing good. oh, and my kids look a lot like my sister too, esp gabriel. he even got her blonde curls! lol

glad to hear brandy is happy and doing well. you'll have to yell hello from me(and chris lol)!

ok, time to get my exhausted bum into bed. what a small world though!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 AM

I am was doing a quick search to see how the hospitals in the area where feeling about doing vbac's and found your post! I am from Benton also. I have had 7 children, the 1st in Germany, then I had 2 CSections and then found out about MW's I have had the last 4 at home, 3 in Benton and 1 in Mass.(my MW moved) . I am due again in June and am searching out my options. I don't think there are any MW's around the area. PA is becomming very hostile for direct entry MW's. I am also at Geisinger for my prenatel care. I will not have my baby there though. I will either have it at home(if my MW will come) or at the bloomsburg hospital(although I am not sure if they will let me since I have had 2 sections). I have a wonderful doula who I would highly rec to you and she has told me she has had some wonderful homebirth like births at bloomsburg. She has been at 3 of my homebirths and is just a wonderful lady. She has also had homebirths of her own and some MW training. If you want to stay at Geisinger I would rec the MW's, I only see them and they are very nice(at least for prenatels) I still can't believe you are from Benton, lol. I am a newbe here, moved in 1998.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_trillium View Post
wow, how cool. i'll have to ask april if she remembers you. she's doing good. oh, and my kids look a lot like my sister too, esp gabriel. he even got her blonde curls! lol
i cant believe how much he looks like her! very cute kiddos Brandy said hi, she was surprised to hear i talked to you!! LOL
Old 01-03-2008, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

that is awesome you found someone to come here for a homebirth! I am still looking... i have my next appt sceduled w/ a midwife (elaine) so i guess i will see how it goes. Their reaction to my birth wishes should tell me a lot i think.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexysmommy View Post
that is awesome you found someone to come here for a homebirth! I am still looking... i have my next appt sceduled w/ a midwife (elaine) so i guess i will see how it goes. Their reaction to my birth wishes should tell me a lot i think.
elaine was pretty cool. i saw her several times for prenatals and she delivered dd. she was very hands off and patient with me. the actual birth was great. i guess it's when she left and everyone else came to take over after the birth is when it got a bit more tricky with everything that we opted out of. lol

as long as your birth plans aren't too outrageous, they are pretty good about respecting your wishes. with dd's birth, we only had to monitor during labor for a few minutes, i didn't have any iv's, she was open to different positions(i gave birth squatting) and was not "coachy" if you kwim, she let me call the shots. and she let us have a full 45 minutes(with dd on my chest nursing/snuggling the whole time) before we cut the cord and cleaned and weighed dd. she was really patient the whole time.

i know a couple of other people who have had nice natural births up there with the midwives too.

liwesas, good to see another bentonite here! small world, eh? how cool we're all due around the same time!

User Tag List